PDA

View Full Version : Corona virus survivor stories

Sunflower318
15-03-20, 23:30
Can we have a thread that is just about people sharing their stories? Maybe hearing what life is like for people in the quarantine areas might help others prepare and feel less anxious. Or maybe you know someone who has had it and made it though. I feel like people are panicking over the panic and it's become a viscous circle. Let's encourage others to be calm and prepared rather then panicking and falling apart! We can do this!

nomorepanic
15-03-20, 23:32
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Kirbear
16-03-20, 07:20
Can we have a thread that is just about people sharing their stories? Maybe hearing what life is like for people in the quarantine areas might help others prepare and feel less anxious. Or maybe you know someone who has had it and made it though. I feel like people are panicking over the panic and it's become a viscous circle. Let's encourage others to be calm and prepared rather then panicking and falling apart! We can do this!

would be nice. I see the odd one in the media but because there aren’t many it makes people panic more. At the moment it’s easy to feel like every single person you know will be infected and not make it through.

Panicattacka
16-03-20, 07:28
The two I have seen in Japan (both from the Diamond Princess) painted a mixed picture. The first guy in his 70s was quarantined for 3 weeks but had zero symptoms and said the hardest part was the boredom and frustration at not being able to go out. The second case, a woman in her 60s, said it was like a bad flu but she got better after about 2 weeks.

Lencoboy
16-03-20, 08:43
This is exactly what we need, the perfect antidote to all of the usual doom stories in the media re CV.

TheGroundhog
16-03-20, 09:53
There are almost as many recovered cases globally as there are active cases. This is obviously good news, however, most of them are in China right now and there is still a media blackout so we won't hear about them.

Of counted cases, we only have 20 people recovered in the UK right now. That's because our cases are mostly only the cases that are ill enough to be noticed and tested. If you are ill with Covid you can be ill for quite a long time - up to 6 weeks, so it takes rather a while for the figures in the recovered columns to catch up. But they definitely will, just like they did in China. Having followed this from the very beginning, the numbers in China initially were worrying to read (even though it was obvious they would look better with time). For a long time there were far, far more deaths than recoveries - but eventually, that took a huge swing in the opposite direction. Likewise, Italy at the moment have many more deaths that recovered, as do we in the UK, but in a few weeks it will look very different and we will start hearing those stories more frequently.

There will of course be a huge number in the UK that have had it but do not know, it was either so mild they didn't notice, or they just though it was the flu or a bad cold. Without testing though, they don't have a 'recovered' status as they were never counted. Now we have stopped community testing in the UK, we won't really hear about anyone who has a mild case, nor will they be counted in the numbers. The WHO are not happy about us doing this, but hopefully someone in the know has a good reason.

Kirbear
16-03-20, 10:45
I have come in to work this morning and a friend of my colleague has it, he’s quite poorly (as we know some people will be) but he’s in hospital and my friends sister is working in a ski resort in France and she had symptoms for 3 days. She’s pretty sure it was Coronavirus and she said she felt quite ill with it just like if she had flu. This was almost two weeks ago but she is flying home tomorrow to the UK. I don’t feel nervous about her coming back though which is strange for me!

my friends neighbour had a bad cough and difficulty breathing but they just said it’s an infection from being run down. Don’t know how they can be so sure without testing. Paramedics weren’t masked up or anything. Must be thousands more, there are those with very mild symptoms, mild pneumonia and those that are completely asymptomatic. Without sending a test back out to every single person we will never know true numbers.

Lencoboy
16-03-20, 11:18
There are almost as many recovered cases globally as there are active cases. This is obviously good news, however, most of them are in China right now and there is still a media blackout so we won't hear about them.

Of counted cases, we only have 20 people recovered in the UK right now. That's because our cases are mostly only the cases that are ill enough to be noticed and tested. If you are ill with Covid you can be ill for quite a long time - up to 6 weeks, so it takes rather a while for the figures in the recovered columns to catch up. But they definitely will, just like they did in China. Having followed this from the very beginning, the numbers in China initially were worrying to read (even though it was obvious they would look better with time). For a long time there were far, far more deaths than recoveries - but eventually, that took a huge swing in the opposite direction. Likewise, Italy at the moment have many more deaths that recovered, as do we in the UK, but in a few weeks it will look very different and we will start hearing those stories more frequently.

There will of course be a huge number in the UK that have had it but do not know, it was either so mild they didn't notice, or they just though it was the flu or a bad cold. Without testing though, they don't have a 'recovered' status as they were never counted. Now we have stopped community testing in the UK, we won't really hear about anyone who has a mild case, nor will they be counted in the numbers. The WHO are not happy about us doing this, but hopefully someone in the know has a good reason.

This could very well have been both me and my parents mid-way through February (just before CV really started to get going here in the UK) as all three of us had flu-like symptoms for about two and a half weeks, but we did the 'self-isolation' thing at the time (pretty much ahead of all the current recommendations) and so far so good, we have all been fine since about the last week of Feb. And like I just said this was before the big panic really started to set in, even though CV had already been present within our shores since the end of January.

And the experts have been saying that the total number of people affected may have been (and likely still are) much higher than the official recorded stats indicate, possibly even before 31st Jan. And no doubt not just here but worldwide.

And keep remembering the (real) experts will be learning even more about the virus, and how to manage it, in due course.

WiredIncorrectly
16-03-20, 13:12
Not confirmed but I think I and those around me had it back in late January. It's was a rough flu. My brother, partner and next door neighbor had to take antibiotics and had difficulties breathing. My partners friends daughter had to be admitted to hospital for it. Antibiotics didn't work to shift it for any of them. Took them about 4 weeks to recover and all said it wasn't any normal flu. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sunflower318
16-03-20, 14:43
The US is just starting this so there isnt many cases of people getting better. We are in the beginning of lockdown and getting prepared. Some people take Italy as an example and get ready to stay home and only venture out in emergency. I hope and pray this all ends soon. I saw somewhere( maybe on here?) That some drs think the virus has been around longer then we think and some people have already had it and moved on unknowingly.

dorabella
16-03-20, 18:40
I had two doses of something during January and February - both times it started the same with sore throat, then the cough - second time it came with a bit of feverishness and lasted for nearly two weeks. Never really got rid of the chesty cough which has lingered mildly. About 5 other bods in the train on Thursday evening (there were only 10 of us in the entire carriage!) had the same 'wet' cough and throat clearing.

Who is to say that this wasn't a muted dose of CV? As some have reported, it just felt like the seasonal cold. We just don't know and the scientists don't know as I should imagine there are huge variances in symptoms depending on peoples' response to any infection.

London just announced a peak on the way as I suspected it would by the end of March ... now been told by the institution where my work office is based that they are recommending all who can work from home should do so immediately.

Deep breath, calm and remember the Churchillian maxim ... if we are all sensible it can be weathered.

Would help if the government, media and internet didn't keep the momentum of reporting on such high alert - they are scaring people witless.

Once we get some data on recovery rates and recovery experiences it might help people calm down.

Lencoboy
16-03-20, 19:26
I had two doses of something during January and February - both times it started the same with sore throat, then the cough - second time it came with a bit of feverishness and lasted for nearly two weeks. Never really got rid of the chesty cough which has lingered mildly. About 5 other bods in the train on Thursday evening (there were only 10 of us in the entire carriage!) had the same 'wet' cough and throat clearing.

Who is to say that this wasn't a muted dose of CV? As some have reported, it just felt like the seasonal cold. We just don't know and the scientists don't know as I should imagine there are huge variances in symptoms depending on peoples' response to any infection.

London just announced a peak on the way as I suspected it would by the end of March ... now been told by the institution where my work office is based that they are recommending all who can work from home should do so immediately.

Deep breath, calm and remember the Churchillian maxim ... if we are all sensible it can be weathered.

Would help if the government, media and internet didn't keep the momentum of reporting on such high alert - they are scaring people witless.

Once we get some data on recovery rates and recovery experiences it might help people calm down.

Trouble is, concerning the 'momentum of reporting on such high alert', like it or not, they are essentially 'damned if they do and damned if they don't'.

I am still trying my hardest to keep a level head during all of this and I am a bit more relieved now that our PM is finally starting to pull his own head out of the sand and being forced to face the music!!

Yes it will be really nice once we start getting more info on recovery rates and experiences.

pulisa
16-03-20, 19:52
Scared people seem to be drawn to all this reporting though as can be seen on the main CV thread on here. Morbid fascination with as many facts and as much detail as is offered..at a cost.

MyNameIsTerry
16-03-20, 21:14
Scared people seem to be drawn to all this reporting though as can be seen on the main CV thread on here. Morbid fascination with as many facts and as much detail as is offered..at a cost.

Agreed. That thread is another form of Google and news obsession in my opinion.

This thread has already become an example of the HA board which I'm sure wasn't the intention of the OP. People are self diagnosing the unknown when it's much more likely they caught the usual winter nasties.

Lencoboy
17-03-20, 16:49
Some brighter news now!!

According to Wikipedia, 52 people in the UK have now recovered from CV.

jray23
17-03-20, 17:05
It's not much, but here's a blurb about my first two "neighbors" from over a month ago:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patients-released-from-home-isolation-following-recovery/2220027/

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
17-03-20, 19:23
Some brighter news now!!

According to Wikipedia, 52 people in the UK have now recovered from CV.

UPDATE:

It is now actually 65 people in the UK that have recovered from the virus. Now outnumbering the confirmed number of deaths, albeit only by 5, but still promising signs nevertheless.

Scass
17-03-20, 19:39
It’s probably loads more as well because so many people aren’t being tested.

pulisa
17-03-20, 20:04
Agreed. That thread is another form of Google and news obsession in my opinion.

This thread has already become an example of the HA board which I'm sure wasn't the intention of the OP. People are self diagnosing the unknown when it's much more likely they caught the usual winter nasties.

Yes I agree. It's turned into the inevitable..but at least the HA forum is mostly quiet...Interestingly.

Lencoboy
17-03-20, 20:51
It’s probably loads more as well because so many people aren’t being tested.

Do you mean recovered or active cases?

MyNameIsTerry
17-03-20, 20:57
Yes I agree. It's turned into the inevitable..but at least the HA forum is mostly quiet...Interestingly.

Yep, never seen so many people on Misc or posting outside the health boards. It's very telling, as will when it all passes and we are back to the cancers, brain eaters, etc.

Pamplemousse
17-03-20, 22:04
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/diabetic-dad-coronavirus-explains-what-3952358

Kirbear
19-03-20, 14:51
I have come in to work this morning and a friend of my colleague has it, he’s quite poorly (as we know some people will be) but he’s in hospital and my friends sister is working in a ski resort in France and she had symptoms for 3 days. She’s pretty sure it was Coronavirus and she said she felt quite ill with it just like if she had flu. This was almost two weeks ago but she is flying home tomorrow to the UK. I don’t feel nervous about her coming back though which is strange for me!

my friends neighbour had a bad cough and difficulty breathing but they just said it’s an infection from being run down. Don’t know how they can be so sure without testing. Paramedics weren’t masked up or anything. Must be thousands more, there are those with very mild symptoms, mild pneumonia and those that are completely asymptomatic. Without sending a test back out to every single person we will never know true numbers.

Just an update on this. The guy who was quite poorly (55 y/o) has been on a trial of drugs (not sure what). Anyway, he is coming home today! :yesyes: So in the space of 1 week he was taken in to hospital, put on a HDU and is now negative and going home.

Lencoboy
19-03-20, 19:09
Just an update on this. The guy who was quite poorly (55 y/o) has been on a trial of drugs (not sure what). Anyway, he is coming home today! :yesyes: So in the space of 1 week he was taken in to hospital, put on a HDU and is now negative and going home.

​Congratulations!!

Lencoboy
19-03-20, 19:12
Also it has been reported on the BBC News today that ZERO new cases of CV have been confirmed in mainland China for the first time since December!!

Kirbear
20-03-20, 15:15
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0872rsz

Another person doing well - has a serious health condition too.

Lencoboy
20-03-20, 22:23
79 total recoveries in the UK now!!

Jase.
20-03-20, 22:53
This thread is so important. It's doing me the world of good.

jray23
21-03-20, 01:16
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-90-year-old-woman-seattle-recovering-covid-19-life-care-center-kirkland-washington-geneva-wood/#

ll

Kirbear
21-03-20, 08:41
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-90-year-old-woman-seattle-recovering-covid-19-life-care-center-kirkland-washington-geneva-wood/#

ll

fabulous!!!!

Jase.
21-03-20, 13:21

ll

Wonderful :)

Lencoboy
22-03-20, 12:36
Total CV recoveries in the UK now: 98.

Lencoboy
22-03-20, 12:43
Total CV recoveries in the UK now: 98.

52 total recoveries almost a week ago to 98 as of today (+46).

Despite the ongoing gloomy news narratives, remember even more recoveries will still be happening.

Lencoboy
23-03-20, 07:53
140 confirmed UK recoveries in total now!!

jray23
23-03-20, 18:16
100,000 total recoveries worldwide!

Pamplemousse
23-03-20, 21:23
Difficult reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52010927

Lencoboy
23-03-20, 21:52
Difficult reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52010927

Yes, but still a mega wake-up call for all those who have been complacent and naïve thus far.

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-20, 20:09
Yes, but still a mega wake-up call for all those who have been complacent and naïve thus far.

Perhaps worth noting he may say he was fit but that's quit a double chin there. Weight is a factor with this virus isn't It?

Gary A
24-03-20, 20:19
Perhaps worth noting he may say he was fit but that's quit a double chin there. Weight is a factor with this virus isn't It?

I’m glad you saved me from pointing this out. He’s clearly very overweight, I don’t think many doctors would class that as “healthy.”

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-20, 20:31
I’m glad you saved me from pointing this out. He’s clearly very overweight, I don’t think many doctors would class that as “healthy.”

To be fair it could be water retention from meds but the picture lower down shows a slim looking guy that doesn't tally with his Twitter picture where he looks bigger.

It's a bit misleading in my opinion and the BBC have probably seized on a Tweet for a story and been lazy like the other rags do with social media.

If that picture hasn't been influenced by meds then like you say he is well overweight.

Pamplemousse
24-03-20, 21:54
To be fair it could be water retention from meds but the picture lower down shows a slim looking guy that doesn't tally with his Twitter picture where he looks bigger.

It's a bit misleading in my opinion and the BBC have probably seized on a Tweet for a story and been lazy like the other rags do with social media.

If that picture hasn't been influenced by meds then like you say he is well overweight.

Okay, so in the fat-shaming now going on as a "well, if he wasn't so fat"

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 05:12
[QUOTE=Pamplemousse;1937344]Okay, so in the fat-shaming now going on as a "well, if he wasn't so fat"

Again you need to consider the rules on this forum. Keep your attitude to yourself.

It's not fat shaming, that's your excuse to shut it down. There is nothing wrong with being overweight. The issue is claiming you are fit and healthy when you are not and we are being told being overweight is a risk factor. I need to lose some weight myself and that sits firmly on me as to why my risk factors are increased. To argue that is fat shaking is to remove personal responsibility for health.

However there is a chance it could be medication side effects. But there was still a discrepancy between the other two photos.

Other young people have been affected but underlying health conditions have been pointed out in those.

Not sure why you have searched out another young person. We know it can affect anyone.

Scass
25-03-20, 08:56
Pamplemousse there’s no excuse to be so rude and says a lot more about you than the person you are replying to. I’ve reported your insult as completely uncalled for and unnecessary. If you don’t agree, try and word it better. Insults don’t help anyone & I doubt you feel better for it.

BlueIris
25-03-20, 09:42
Pamplemousse, I say this as a morbidly obese person myself: please try to calm down? I know these are stressful times, and honestly? I can see your point.

Name-calling won't help, though.

Feel free to drop me a message if you're having a rough time?

Pamplemousse
25-03-20, 11:30
Pamplemousse, I say this as a morbidly obese person myself: please try to calm down? I know these are stressful times, and honestly? I can see your point.

Name-calling won't help, though.

Feel free to drop me a message if you're having a rough time?

I'm a member of that same club BlueIris, with added T2 diabetes. And thank you for the offer of off-forum chat :)

PanickyGuy
26-03-20, 05:34
What this actor has to say is interesting. He mentions prescribed hydroxyquinoline as his secret weapon in fighting the virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pHwurQhHqQ

Cariad1
26-03-20, 13:05
I'm a member of that same club BlueIris, with added T2 diabetes. And thank you for the offer of off-forum chat :)

Also in the morbidly obese category, all my own fault I know!

It’s such a scary time, I want to lock my family down but hubby is a key worker. If anyone in the same boat fancies a chat then feel free to message me

Xx

Carys
26-03-20, 16:06
Well, I don't know about anybody else - but I think one good thing that could come out of this whole scenario once its over, and it will be over.....is that people have become more aware of factors which make them more unhealthy and those which put you at a disadvantage (risk factors) when facing illnesses. Maybe everyone will do those things they've always said they should do , exercise more, quit smoking, lose some weight blah blah.......take control of things that we can take control of and give ourselves the best chance possible of a healthy future (in moderation of course, because life has to be fun too lol). I know that I have certain things I could change - my addiction to sweet things, upping my cardio exercise would help as although I walk a lot and am active its not in the realms of 'cardio'. It doesn't matter if its your fault, or not your fault, and there is no shame to feel about being overweight (been there myself) but if it worries you and would make you feel better in the future, action can be taken.

pulisa
26-03-20, 19:46
Yes I suspect that coronavirus will be more effective than any of the Government's healthy eating campaigns in persuading the nation to cut down and make better food choices.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 20:28
I'm cynical to be honest. If dying of aggressive cancers doesn't change you the threat of a virus unlikely will. And many a medical professional puts themselves at risk knowing how bad it can be. I used to know a nurse who rode a motorbike (or a donor cycle as they often call it). I see nurses outside my hospital lighting up. And there has always been a drinking culture.

I'm not sure why it would. We will all get old and be at risk at some point. It's perhaps earlier where we can do good things to help our bodies but when you are over 70 father time will start taking his toll.

But it may change attitudes to spreading infection. Will it change so we stay off work with colds? That may depend on employment law since you might march yourself into sickness monitoring quickly.

jray23
27-03-20, 15:30
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/europe/101-year-old-coronavirus-scli-intl/index.html

Kirbear
27-03-20, 16:49
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/europe/101-year-old-coronavirus-scli-intl/index.html

wow! He was born during the Spanish flu pandemic also! That’s insane!

PanickyGuy
28-03-20, 02:46
90-year-old resident of assisted living facility survives coronavirus, heads home

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/coronavirus/90-year-old-resident-of-assisted-living-facility-survives-coronavirus-heads-home (https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/coronavirus/90-year-old-resident-of-assisted-living-facility-survives-coronavirus-heads-home)

PanickyGuy
31-03-20, 07:28
Italian 101-year-old leaves hospital after recovering from coronavirus

http://Italian 101-year-old leaves hospital after recovering from coronavirus

Incredible!

PanickyGuy
03-04-20, 02:50
Oregon Man, 104, May Be World's Oldest Survivor Of Coronavirus

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-veteran-oldest-survivor-coronavirus/