PDA

View Full Version : A co-worker of mine has a fever and body aches. Terrified to go to work, need advice

ls
16-03-20, 12:55
There’s a co-worker of mine who works as a delivery driver so they only spend maybe 30 minutes a day at my workplace. I’m only a part time worker so I don’t see them too often.

They came in Friday evening when I was at work but I was about 10-15 feet away in a different room so I didn’t actually see them. They said they were feeling unwell and like they were going to puke so they had to go home. I wasn’t too worried at that moment because I haven’t heard about nausea being a symptom of coronavirus.

But then on Saturday when I was at work they popped in briefly to pick up something (even though they were not working that day) and I was again 10-15 feet away but they came face-to-face with my manager and told her that they have a fever and body aches. Somehow my manager didn’t seem worried at all.

But ever since then I’ve been having panic attacks and been feeling absolutely terrified that they might have coronavirus and could have transmitted it to the rest of us at work. I’ve been crying pretty much non-stop from the fear. I haven’t been outside since coming home from work on Saturday. I’m due in work later today and I don’t know whether or not it’s safe for me to go? Even if the co-worker with the symptoms is not at work today I’m worried they may have transmitted it to co-workers who see them more than me and then they will transmit it to me (if I don’t have it already). I’m also worried surfaces at my work are now infected.

I asked two family members for advice on whether or not I should go to work tonight and they think I should (because they say the outbreak will go on for a long time and I can’t never go back). In my opinion I feel like it’s too unsafe to go but I was hoping for some more opinions.

I feel like I really can’t deal with this whole situation and just want to quit my job and hide in the house for a year or two :(

WiredIncorrectly
16-03-20, 13:06
Personally, I'd be running for the hills. But, don't take my advice. I'm irrational sometimes.

I think everybody is going to get the virus at some point. Unless you're old, or have existing respiratory conditions, or heart problems, it's not a bad idea to carry on with life and take your extra precautions. Like your family said it's going to be going on for a while yet and the bills need paying.

There's honestly nothing to fear unless you're in the high risk groups. For the young, fit and healthy it's going be a chest infection and flu like symptoms.

Lencoboy
16-03-20, 17:13
Personally, I'd be running for the hills. But, don't take my advice. I'm irrational sometimes.

I think everybody is going to get the virus at some point. Unless you're old, or have existing respiratory conditions, or heart problems, it's not a bad idea to carry on with life and take your extra precautions. Like your family said it's going to be going on for a while yet and the bills need paying.

There's honestly nothing to fear unless you're in the high risk groups. For the young, fit and healthy it's going be a chest infection and flu like symptoms.

WARNING-POSSIBLE TRIGGER ALERT!!

I'm sure the youngest person to die from CV here in the UK so far was 59 years old, and was a police officer (from Bristol I think). Not sure as to whether he had any underlying ailments though.

Pamplemousse
16-03-20, 17:24
WARNING-POSSIBLE TRIGGER ALERT!!

I'm sure the youngest person to die from CV here in the UK so far was 59 years old, and was a police officer (from Bristol I think). Not sure as to whether he had any underlying ailments though.

The poor soul did: he had taken early retirement on health grounds ten years previously. What those health grounds were are not disclosed, which is reasonable. (Seen on bbc.co.uk)