PDA

View Full Version : Any other immunosuppressed people here?

Capercrohnj
17-03-20, 00:51
Just wondering who else is at high risk. I'm on immunosuppressants for Crohn's disease.

Elen
17-03-20, 08:05
I am on them for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I really don't know what to do.

I know what I should do but mentally and fiscally I am not sure that I could cope with not working.

It is definitely a very scary time knowing that you are under a real risk.

pulisa
17-03-20, 08:16
Would you not get financial help from your Government if you were unable to work, Elen? I understand about the "mentally" bit and how daunting not working would be for you.

It's very different facing up to a "real" risk as opposed to managing a real fear from the relative safety of the low risk majority.

Have you had any medical advice on this? I know...probably highly unlikely!!!

nomorepanic
17-03-20, 13:17
I have Crohn's so on immunosuppressants, I also have heart problems and asthma.

I am self-employed so told if I want to self-isolate I won't get paid and would have to talk to the "government" about that. I can't work from home as I do care work out in the community.

I am living on nothing as it is so really can't afford not to work.

Don't know what to do either for the best.

pulisa
17-03-20, 13:50
Would you still be able to work in the community though? It's a really difficult situation for you but I think you should put your physical health first if you have that option.

Elen
17-03-20, 15:26
From what I can gather I am only eligible for SSP, which would not even cover my bills.

I don't envy you working in the community, I am lucky in that I have managed to isolate my work space, though some other members of staff are not happy about it, but that is there problem.

pulisa
17-03-20, 17:56
You must look after yourself, Elen and the others can lump it. They are obviously not concerned about your wellbeing. If you can carry on working safely then I'm sure you will. As for paying bills, I'm sure that there will be measures put in place to defer payments..The most important thing is to keep as well as possible under daunting circumstances.

Elen
17-03-20, 19:44
Just realised that I have a DNR on my records, so my worst fear of being hospitised for a long period will not happen.

pulisa
17-03-20, 19:55
So you will have control over what will happen in a worst case scenario. The ultimate wcs.

nomorepanic
17-03-20, 20:06
Not sure what I am going to do yet. I am working the rest of the week and will have to talk to the parents of the people I see and what they want to do.

My "boss" basically said if I want to take time off I can but I won't get paid. I am already going to have to defer the mortgage payments for a few months in case I am off work.

Very stressful. I will have no money to pay bills and live off if I don't work!

MyNameIsTerry
17-03-20, 21:12
Some stuff on MSE that they keep updating about how banks, energy companies, etc are planning on helping customers:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/

It's still not enough for the self employed. You can get ESA if self isolating but need to be careful that it's 'government advised' which is still very vague. Although I find it a bit laughable they expect people to attend the Job centre considering they are self isolating! :shrug:

SnowyGreen
19-03-20, 06:01
My son is high risk. He is on immunosupressants for severe ulcerative colitis

pulisa
19-03-20, 08:31
All you can do is protect him as best you can, Snowy. I really hope he manages to avoid the virus and stay well-it must be a huge worry for you on top of everything else.

My son has numerous health problems too but is not immuno-suppressed. More chest, heart and kidney related but still a worry.

Sending warm wishes to all on this thread-keep as well as you can and look after yourselves x

SnowyGreen
20-03-20, 04:52
Thanks Pulisa. I had to see my doctor today, and I asked him if my son was at increased risk because of being immunosupressed, and he slightly higher, but he is still young, so he will be fine, even though he is immunosuppresed, so I feel a bit better now.

pulisa
20-03-20, 08:10
Always good to have reassuring factual information from a doctor and I'm glad it's helped in some way.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-20, 13:39
Thanks goor news, Snowy! :yesyes:

Also, I was posting and running before when I added the above article. I want to add my support, as pulisa did, to those immunosupressed and self employed (Nic and Elen) who have a lot of worries both health and financial righ now.

nomorepanic
20-03-20, 16:36
I am still working but now have a bad sore throat but no high temperature and cough just feel rough so probably a cold coming on.

I kind of want to self-isolate but also scared at the same time as I will probably lose my job. A lot of thinking to do over this weekend.

Elen
20-03-20, 16:44
I am still working but now have a bad sore throat but no high temperature and cough just feel rough so probably a cold coming on.

I kind of want to self-isolate but also scared at the same time as I will probably lose my job. A lot of thinking to do over this weekend.

That is kind of how I feel but at the same time for my mental health I need to work.

But could I forgive myself if I caused a death to a collegue's family member, also my job share person is off work. It is a total minefield that is driving me mad, going though all the what ifs and what nots.

Elen
20-03-20, 16:47
Thanks goor news, Snowy! :yesyes:

Also, I was posting and running before when I added the above article. I want to add my support, as pulisa did, to those immunosupressed and self employed (Nic and Elen) who have a lot of worries both health and financial righ now.

Thanks Terry. It is truly a very scary time. I do not have HA but still I find myself questioning everything.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 05:17
Nic & Elen,

The CIPD site details the current amendment to watch in case you haven't spotted it through the to be of stuff being discussed. Look at the question about closing when employing casual workers:

https://www.cipd.co.uk/news-views/coronavirus/faqs

Elen
26-03-20, 08:13
Thanks Terry, They are now trying to set me up to work from home so fingers crossed.

pulisa
26-03-20, 08:21
Thanks Terry, They are now trying to set me up to work from home so fingers crossed.

That's really good news and now that awful pressure as to what to do is off....I really hope it all works out and you can be up and running in the safety of your own home.

WiseMonkey
26-03-20, 09:38
Not immunosuppressed but have an autoimmune conditions, the main one being Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have killer T cells but they are tired and slow to react to virus's. I can be incubating a cold for ten days before I feel the full force of it. Then it can linger for a month or so, especially when I have a cough which can last 3 months!

Elen
26-03-20, 10:34
Thanks Puilsa

I am very lucky in that my work have been proactive about social distancing etc before it became popular.

nomorepanic
26-03-20, 10:46
I am still in a predicament so waiting untl later before I decide what to do.

One client has cancelled for 2 weeks so I get paid for that but I haven't heard from the other one. I am hoping they cancel then I will get paid. If I cancel then I don't get paid.

Tried getting through to Universal Credit but gave up after 2 hours on the phone - along with thousands of others trying too.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 20:59
Nic & Elen,

The CIPD site details the current amendment to watch in case you haven't spotted it through the to be of stuff being discussed. Look at the question about closing when employing casual workers:

https://www.cipd.co.uk/news-views/coronavirus/faqs

Government have approved increased financial support for the self employed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52053914

nomorepanic
26-03-20, 21:31
Yeah thanks Terry I am watching all the news updates. Can't say I completely understood it and we have to wait until June for the money and also wait for the HMRC to contacts us if we eligible.

Elen
27-03-20, 08:24
Yeah thanks Terry I am watching all the news updates. Can't say I completely understood it and we have to wait until June for the money and also wait for the HMRC to contacts us if we eligible.

Nic that is a nightmare situation for you and I have no idea what the answer is.

Are there not emergency payouts on offer?

No-one should have to be in a quandary like this, it is not fair.