PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus - terrified

silver_shoes
17-03-20, 00:54
I was feeling in recent months that I'd started to get more of a grip on my anxiety.... And now the Coronavirus is here. I didn't think I fell into one of the at-risk groups until this evening when I read that individuals who have a BMI of 40 and over, as I do, are at higher risk of being more unwell with it. I'm so so scared. I don't want to leave my husband and family, is anyone else feeling this way? :weep:

Kirbear
17-03-20, 07:48
I was feeling in recent months that I'd started to get more of a grip on my anxiety.... And now the Coronavirus is here. I didn't think I fell into one of the at-risk groups until this evening when I read that individuals who have a BMI of 40 and over, as I do, are at higher risk of being more unwell with it. I'm so so scared. I don't want to leave my husband and family, is anyone else feeling this way? :weep:

I think a lot of us are. The underlying health condition information is so vague too. There is so much uncertainty surrounding this illness. A majority will recover, most without any additional care. However as anxiety sufferers we always think we aren’t going to be in that majority. Always worst case scenario. Some of the things that go through my head I wouldn’t believe if I didn’t have anxiety I don’t think.

I have asthma, a lot of my family members have what would be classed as underlying health issues. It’s difficult to see that while they have underlying health issues they are still way more likely to survive this than die from it. I have read a few stories now of people with even things like heart problems etc and they have only needed a couple of days bed rest.

I think my biggest fear is not being able to get help when/if needed.

We are all in this together. It all sounds very very scary at the moment but there are loads of medical trials and vaccine trials ongoing so at some point this will pass, possibly even without intervention.

The UK government don’t appear to be too proactive, they seem to bide their time with everything but they don’t want to act with haste which is understandable. I do think just telling people to avoid pubs and clubs is daft, they shouldn’t rely on the British public too much, it isn’t going to happen unless they close the establishments for a while. There are an awful lot of selfish individuals in this country sadly. Even at work the lads in the marketing office all have an ‘I’ll be alright’ attitude and they won’t be told it’s not about them. While pubs and clubs are open they will continue to attend because they are still ‘allowed’. Anyway, that’s another story! Haha

Feel free to chat on here anytime, this forum has been a godsend to me. x

Elen
17-03-20, 08:03
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

heylumos
19-03-20, 06:22
I read an interview today, with a couple who have both recovered from coronavirus. They were both older adults, and the man was also currently battling cancer and immunosuppressed, but both recovered with no serious symptoms and no complications. A reminder that everyone, even those in the “increased risk” categories (which, as was mentioned above, are all very vague), is far more likely to recover than to have complications. Best of luck with anxiety management, the media really isn’t making it easy atm 💛

Lencoboy
19-03-20, 19:22
I read an interview today, with a couple who have both recovered from coronavirus. They were both older adults, and the man was also currently battling cancer and immunosuppressed, but both recovered with no serious symptoms and no complications. A reminder that everyone, even those in the “increased risk” categories (which, as was mentioned above, are all very vague), is far more likely to recover than to have complications. Best of luck with anxiety management, the media really isn’t making it easy atm 

Fantastic!!

There are many schools of thought that believe the annual winter flu viruses actually kill more people in a given country than CV has so far, but hardly anyone AFAIK seems to be a quivering wreck day in day out over them, though of course this won't be of any consolation to those in the worst-hit parts of Italy and other countries in mainland Europe ATM (and sorry if I came across unwittingly as a bit insensitive).

DonnaT
20-03-20, 00:41
I could of written your post, I’m exactly the same as you I’m sitting on the fence with my BMI around 39/40. I found this out yesterday because work sent round a post about it. We are in isolation, my son has a cough and a sore throat, ( I think it’s just a cough) Today I’ve got in to a right panic about it all. My husband is a soldier and doesn’t give a crap AT ALL. He tells me to shut up and stop panicking about it. We have four young children three with asthma. my youngest has a lot of other respiratory problems on top of asthma. All I keep thinking about is if he brings it the house when he goes back in or if he gets sent away to help how will I look after my kids if I need to go shopping. I’ve been reading horrible posts all over the place just generally scaring the pants of me. I’ve got so cross with my husbands lack of worry and care for his family I’ve made him sleep in another room. I feel so lonely and I just would like a hug but instead I just get the big macho soldier instead that makes me panic even more.

jules321
20-03-20, 05:01
I could of written your post, I’m exactly the same as you I’m sitting on the fence with my BMI around 39/40. I found this out yesterday because work sent round a post about it. We are in isolation, my son has a cough and a sore throat, ( I think it’s just a cough) Today I’ve got in to a right panic about it all. My husband is a soldier and doesn’t give a crap AT ALL. He tells me to shut up and stop panicking about it. We have four young children three with asthma. my youngest has a lot of other respiratory problems on top of asthma. All I keep thinking about is if he brings it the house when he goes back in or if he gets sent away to help how will I look after my kids if I need to go shopping. I’ve been reading horrible posts all over the place just generally scaring the pants of me. I’ve got so cross with my husbands lack of worry and care for his family I’ve made him sleep in another room. I feel so lonely and I just would like a hug but instead I just get the big macho soldier instead that makes me panic even more.

Donna I’m really sorry. I hear you. Lean on us here. I also have a young child with asthma and am scared too.

DonnaT
20-03-20, 13:32
Thank you, I know everyone is in a panic and this whole situation is incredibly surreal. This is an amazing place to come to for support and your all wonderful. I’ve decided to delete Facebook and Twitter it’s not very good for me or any of us at the moment I feel.

Stupefy333
25-03-20, 16:45
Hi Donna, I could’ve written your post. I am at home with my son and my partner is still working. I have constant panic attack. Physical horrendous symptoms of everything that make me think I’m dying and I always get told to shut up too. My partner isn’t overly bothered with being clean and hand washing etc. I am making him come straight in put his clothes in wash and have a shower everyday at the moment which he does begrudgingly and then sits and ignores me for the rest of the evening as punishment for making him do it. He works in a quarry so comes home filthy anyway. There are only two of them at his work now but his boss refuses to close and he won’t not work until he’s told he can’t. I applaud his work ethic but it makes me so nervous. Anxiety is through the roof more and more each day with all the stuff they bring out and so in trying not to watch and to stay off social media now.
Hopefully it fizzles out soon and I can stop convincing myself I have it.

fizzymoon86
31-03-20, 23:14
I’m freaking out as well at the moment. I am 27 weeks pregnant and ever since the government added pregnant women to the list of vulnerable people, I’ve been a mess.

I’ve had an irritated throat for 2 days and absolutely convinced I’ve got it and I’m going to die. I can’t seem to rationalise it at all even though I know I should.

DonnaT
31-03-20, 23:57
I to am having a bad day. For the last few days I’ve picked up a very odd cough thing. It feels like there is something in my lungs, it’s like a thickly feeling. It’s very odd. My girls have been poorly with snotty noses and tiredness and a slight cough. We have been in isolation for two weeks now the only one that has gone out or in is my husband. I’m really frightened about it all tonight and have got myself in to a right state. My husband has to work away tomorrow and I’m worried he will pick it up and bring it home. I’m worried that I have an underlying health issue with this weird feeling in my lungs and this very odd cough thing. I’m in a right state tonight.