PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus + Bowel Cancer

Toby2000
18-03-20, 17:18
Well if you've seen my long-running thread on the Bowel Issues section, I'm scared I may have bowel cancer. I'm only 19 and this has been going on for 20 months now (2 years in July) so it's unlikely BUT I'm scared that if I did catch COVID-19 with possible undiagnosed bowel cancer, would I fall under the "underlying conditions" umbrella and would I therefore be at higher risk of developing severe COVID-19 symptoms?

I know many of you won't take this question seriously (because many of you who reply on my other thread don't think I have cancer) but I'm genuinely worried

Does undiagnosed bowel cancer that hasn't spread to the lymph nodes (though it may have done if it's been there 20 months) have implications for the immune system? Obviously bowel cancer that hasn't metastasized doesn't affect blood cells (I don't think) but I'm no oncologist.

Toby2000
18-03-20, 17:22
I guess going by the below I'd be at no greater risk but if I do have it, it's been there 20 months or longer (I could've not been showing symptoms for a few months), so it could've metasitized to my bones or lymph nodes, putting me at risk

Some people with cancer are more at risk of becoming seriously ill if they contract the COVID-19 infection:

People having chemotherapy, or who have received chemotherapy in the last 3 months
People having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
People having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
People having intensive (radical) radiotherapy for lung cancer
People who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment

If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full.

nomorepanic
18-03-20, 17:40
You don't have cancer though Toby so you are wasting your time look at such things.

BlueIris
18-03-20, 18:05
Toby, apologies for profanity but wteverlovingf?

Scass
18-03-20, 18:20
Toby, you have too much time on your hands. You don’t have cancer or asthma. You have health anxiety.
There are so many free resources right now to help us anxiety sufferers. Let’s make use of them, I am more than happy to help you if you want?

Pamplemousse
18-03-20, 18:48
Christ, a mate of mine is recovering from stage IV bowel cancer and had half his bowel removed, bits of his bladder and RF ablation on his liver.

GROW. THE. ****. UP.

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-20, 02:23
Not this again. Your adding 2 and 2 and getting Pi :shrug:

Toby2000
19-03-20, 11:23
I'm sorry I know it's dumb, I shouldn't have made this thread, I just constantly have the BC fear at the back of my mind

Can we close this thread, Admin?

Elen
19-03-20, 11:31
Closed as per poster's request