PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else strangely unconcerned about coronavirus?

Imeleedi
20-03-20, 09:15
Given the states I have worked myself into over the years about extremely rare diseases, I am surprised to see how unconcerned I am in this current very real and very serious situation. I am not in the least panicking despite all the constant hysteria and rising number of cases. I was just wondering if this was a common theme amongst other HA sufferers. An insight into how strangely our minds work per say.

Hypo84
20-03-20, 12:32
This is perfectly normal and my therapist explained it to me few years ago.

As hypochondriacs we have irrational fear of diseases, key word being irrational.
As covid-19 is a real threat, you can't have irrational fear of it, so you are rational about it. Some people will still be afraid, especially if they are older, but that is understandable fear not HA.
I suppose you are younger so you don't have to be afraid of coronavirus and you don't feel fear.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-20, 13:30

As hypochondriacs we have irrational fear of diseases, key word being irrational.
As covid-19 is a real threat, you can't have irrational fear of it, so you are rational about it. Some people will still be afraid, especially if they are older, but that is understandable fear not HA.
I suppose you are younger so you don't have to be afraid of coronavirus and you don't feel fear.

But you can have all the usual negative behaviours and thoughts within the spectrum of an anxiety disorder about it. That doesn't make your reaction rational. We can see this on the threads about it where people are displaying the same issues they have about other health worries.

Phoenixess
20-03-20, 13:30

im petrified still dont fee;l well im going to take my temperature again... if your not afraid you should be because of the risk to vulnerable people and take adequate precautions

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-20, 13:33
im petrified still dont fee;l well im going to take my temperature again... if your not afraid you should be because of the risk to vulnerable people and take adequate precautions

There is a difference between natural levels of concern and fear. That doesn't mean we don't take precautions.

This is why I've said I'm concerned HAers on here will use this current crisis as a justification for a fear-based disorder. The anxiety disorder is still in their subconscious and still skewing them towards the same behaviours as any worry about the cancers they post about.

nomorepanic
20-03-20, 16:37
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Fishmanpa
20-03-20, 23:25
What I find interesting to me is that I don't fear getting ill (and I'm high risk) as much as this is just messing up living! For crying out loud! You can't even find toilet paper! :wacko:

I also find it interesting that since this has started, the rest of the forum, for all intents and purposes, has gone silent. This is real. Much of what is feared on the boards is not. So reality is an affirmation as a definitive treatment for HA. In the last couple of months, it's cured bowel cancer, lymphoma, ALS etc... ;)

These are certainly interesting times to say the least....

Positive thoughts

KK77
20-03-20, 23:41
I would be considered "moderate" risk with my underlying physical issues but I'm not worried about getting CV. As with many other people here, I'm far more concerned about loved ones than myself.

But as Terry points out that doesn't mean I act irresponsibly and put myself, and others, at risk by not taking sensible precautions.

Gary A
20-03-20, 23:49
I’m getting angry a lot, which probably isn’t that surprising. I’ve let rip at people who declare it “a load of sh*t” and hand wave it away. I also had a friend of mine saying that the Italians had nobody to blame but themselves due to poor practices etc. Because you know, we should all know how to deal with a global pandemic that takes over the planet in 3 months.

Scared? No. I will follow instructions, self isolate if I start displaying symptoms and be sensible with social distancing. I’m going to get back into my astronomy over the next few weeks and take some time out to make some new plans for the future.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-20, 18:52
No fear over here. I had a few panic situations but only when I read the media. I honestly stay away from it.

It was the same when I had Cancer. All my fear and anxiety went away. I'm sure there's a term for this. I think Fishmanpa has mentioned it before in another post too.

Self isolation is a bit strange for somebody with agoraphobia. You'd think it's just a normal thing for me to self isolate, but the house is now always occupant with my partner and child. I'm not used to him being home on school days :roflmao: and she usually works at the church in the daytime. I've been out for walks more since the CV outbreak than I have before.

Lencoboy
21-03-20, 21:09
No fear over here. I had a few panic situations but only when I read the media. I honestly stay away from it.

It was the same when I had Cancer. All my fear and anxiety went away. I'm sure there's a term for this. I think Fishmanpa has mentioned it before in another post too.

Self isolation is a bit strange for somebody with agoraphobia. You'd think it's just a normal thing for me to self isolate, but the house is now always occupant with my partner and child. I'm not used to him being home on school days :roflmao: and she usually works at the church in the daytime. I've been out for walks more since the CV outbreak than I have before.

Same here. I've been walking our dog twice-daily for the past 2-3 weeks or so and today I have walked him 3 times.

A. Because I really care about him. B. Because I am trying to get fitter and more active myself, free of charge and in the fresh air. And of course, every little helps in the fight against this blasted virus.

As to whether I am unconcerned about CV, I most certainly am concerned, but more about the prospects of my parents catching it, as my dad is 71 (though reasonably fit and healthy with no obvious underlying health conditions), and my mom is in her late 60s, has had mild traces of asthma in the past, but now suffers from dementia and is therefore struggling to comprehend all of this CV stuff, but really indignant about not being able to go in shops, etc, which I am currently tasked with doing ATM. I'm not currently losing sleep over the thought of me catching the virus and constantly trying to follow the drill whenever I have to go into shops, etc by keeping as far apart from other customers as possible, and visiting the toilet to wash my hands (if the given shop has one intended for use by the general public, of course), and wiping down the outer packaging of all of the stuff I have purchased with anti-bacterial wipes once back home.

I don't know how I would have coped with all of this in the past (probably even ten years ago) as I have Asperger's Syndrome, and people like me are often disturbed by major changes to our existing routines but my dad told me over tea time today that he thinks I have successfully 'risen to the occasion' with all of this and have really been a godsend for the entire family. I don't in any way feel exploited either, despite my own personal issues.

I don't intend to be a smart alec and keep blowing my own trumpet but I am feeling really proud of myself so far.

glassgirlw
21-03-20, 21:23
You should feel proud, Lencoboy! Those are huge accomplishments that you’ve described and it’s wonderful you’ve been able to help your family through this.

Lencoboy
21-03-20, 21:31
You should feel proud, Lencoboy! Those are huge accomplishments that you’ve described and it’s wonderful you’ve been able to help your family through this.

Thank you for your kind words, glassgirlw.

WiredIncorrectly
21-03-20, 22:19
I don't know how I would have coped with all of this in the past (probably even ten years ago) as I have Asperger's Syndrome, and people like me are often disturbed by major changes to our existing routines but my dad told me over tea time today that he thinks I have successfully 'risen to the occasion' with all of this and have really been a godsend for the entire family. I don't in any way feel exploited either, despite my own personal issues. I don't intend to be a smart alec and keep blowing my own trumpet but I am feeling really proud of myself so far.

Well done Lencoboy. I have Aspergers too. You should be proud. Change in routine is horrible, and that's currently my issue. It's all off. Walking does help a lot and gets you fitter :) Are you a programmer by any chance?

pulisa
22-03-20, 08:47
I think you have coped remarkably well, Lencoboy and you have a very clear and rational approach to all this.

My son has Asperger's and is currently on a psych ward after a major change in his life. He couldn't care less about catching CV and the virus is already on the ward and his psychiatrist has it! My daughter is also on the spectrum and absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to function...

So I think your approach and attitude is spot on and yes, you should be proud of yourself!

Lencoboy
22-03-20, 09:41
I think you have coped remarkably well, Lencoboy and you have a very clear and rational approach to all this.

My son has Asperger's and is currently on a psych ward after a major change in his life. He couldn't care less about catching CV and the virus is already on the ward and his psychiatrist has it! My daughter is also on the spectrum and absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to function...

So I think your approach and attitude is spot on and yes, you should be proud of yourself!

Thanks for your comments, Pulisa.

Sadly it does seem that people on the spectrum are still being 'sentenced' to psych wards (and even prison in the most extreme cases), despite the much greater understanding of the condition nowadays, and even happened under the watch of New Labour, before all the 'austerity' stuff really started. It's almost as if the authorities may be pandering to long-standing prejudices of society in general where people who aren't quite 'normal' are put 'out of sight, out of mind', even when and where it is completely unwarranted, and of course it superficially seems like the quickest and easiest option. Such options are no doubt pursued by the 'less-well-trained'/'clued-up' and 'can't be bothered' medical professionals, social workers, etc. And don't even get me started on the fact that many still persist in using 'physical restraint' and sometimes even harsh punitive measures as first-resort action for dealing with meltdowns, etc! In fact they did exactly that back in the early 2000s at a county council-run day centre I attended for many years for seemingly trivial infractions like service users simply refusing to join their scheduled group activities and their being restrained on the floor by staff members to shock them into submission and the main staff member responsible stating that it was part of a 'zero tolerance' measure brought in by the govt against violence, aggression and abuse towards staff members, like in the NHS. It seemed as if some workers in the care profession had hidden agendas and were using said measures willy-nilly to their own personal advantages and disproportionately to the actual risks involved, thus trying to be on a power trip IMO. Thank god I am no longer at that particular centre anymore and am at another (independently-owned) centre one day per week where the staff actually seem to care about their users. Obviously I am not attending at the moment due to the CV risks, but more with my parents in mind despite said centre still being open as usual until further notice.

Sorry for digressing, but I felt as though I really needed to get that off my chest. Thanks all for being so understanding.

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-20, 13:49
Yes, that's plenty to be proud of, Lencoboy, as others have said. :yesyes:

For me I'm not worried about this virus as a) an anxious person and not having HA themes only helps me here and b) I'm not a public panicker either. My anxiety lends itself to being put under stress so anything rushed can heighten it. I've had to learn to be mroe laid back about things and less trying to achieve too much which was something that pushed me into my breakdowns in a work environment where you were constantly firefighting.

I do have concerns though. I have elderly parents with breathing and blood pressure issues. I have Hypertension myself, something the Worldometer site is showing as the highest category in the deaths, but I'm still youngish. I'm also not scared of dying and my anxiety has always been more about being scared of living! But as things close down and pressure increases I will see the odd twinge, the odd increase in the intrusive thoughts that I long ago beat and just flash through now because they will try to start up if they can, etc. I'm also having one of my blip weeks this week I suspect so anxiety is a little higher than normal but it always passes and life just has to go on.

It is something that will hit home more as the cases increase. If we head into lockdowns then we are forced to deal with it and this means some more anxiety for me in some respects too because of the rush to be ready. Getting out more into the fresh air with some nice sun will help. Getting on with outdoor tasks will help.

WiredIncorrectly
22-03-20, 14:56
currently on a psych ward after a major change in his life. He couldn't care less about catching CV and the virus is already on the ward and his psychiatrist has it! My daughter is also on the spectrum and absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to function...

Sorry to hear he's not doing well pulisa. Is he on the non functioning side of the spectrum? Hope you're doing well and keeping the spirits up.

Me and the wife had an argument earlier. Her friend wanted her to go shopping with her. In the same car. I was up in arms over it being in close contact with another person. I then argued with her friend calling her selfish for expecting that and putting my family at further risk. But, I calmed and it was just my over reacting brain. My son came in during the argument "Mom, remember James has aspergers I have a book here and it says they overly worry because of anxiety".

The kid is too smart. He reads books on aspergers to try and understand me. All problems resolved though in the end.

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-20, 15:07
Sorry to hear he's not doing well pulisa. Is he on the non functioning side of the spectrum? Hope you're doing well and keeping the spirits up.

Me and the wife had an argument earlier. Her friend wanted her to go shopping with her. In the same car. I was up in arms over it being in close contact with another person. I then argued with her friend calling her selfish for expecting that and putting my family at further risk. But, I calmed and it was just my over reacting brain. My son came in during the argument "Mom, remember James has aspergers I have a book here and it says they overly worry because of anxiety".

The kid is too smart. He reads books on aspergers to try and understand me. All problems resolved though in the end.

What a brilliant little guy! As he gets older he will just become more understanding and a credit to you (as he already is) because of how he will look at other people and not make assumptions, be judgemental, etc because he has grown up to be considerate to the needs to others.

That's little kids for you though. Sometimes you just need to obvious pointing out in a non confrontation way and they just do it naturally.

It's great he takes an interest in trying to understand you too and to help you all out.

Lencoboy
22-03-20, 16:24
One likely good thing to come out of all of this CV crisis is that it is exposing the fact that for several years now many people have been increasing wrapped up in their own bubbles and seemingly blase about the 'real' world. My account upthread concerning people with learning disabilities being unduly 'sectioned' or excluded from mainstream society (not just nowadays but pretty much ever since time immemorial) is just one of many issues that clearly demonstrates the sheer 'out-of-touch'-ness and indifference of many within our society. Climate change is another. It's no use constantly revelling in nostalgia and longing for the 'good old days' that in many cases never actually were. It's also no use moaning about the current situation with CV and accusing the authorities of violating our civil liberties, etc as we are all in the same boat together the world over.

WiredIncorrectly
22-03-20, 17:44
One likely good thing to come out of all of this CV crisis is that it is exposing the fact that for several years now many people have been increasing wrapped up in their own bubbles and seemingly blase about the 'real' world. My account upthread concerning people with learning disabilities being unduly 'sectioned' or excluded from mainstream society (not just nowadays but pretty much ever since time immemorial) is just one of many issues that clearly demonstrates the sheer 'out-of-touch'-ness and indifference of many within our society. Climate change is another. It's no use constantly revelling in nostalgia and longing for the 'good old days' that in many cases never actually were. It's also no use moaning about the current situation with CV and accusing the authorities of violating our civil liberties, etc as we are all in the same boat together the world over.

Agreed! Although I'll be angry if the recent law changes are not revoked once the situation is over.

AntsyVee
22-03-20, 20:30
I'm hoping this causes a shake-up in DC. There are certain politicians I'd like not to get reelected.