PDA

View Full Version : UK Coronavirus Recoveries

Lencoboy
23-03-20, 08:05
Morning all,

I thought I would start a dedicated UK-specific thread on the number of people here who have had Coronavirus but now finally recovered.

As of this morning (Monday 23rd March 2020):

140 total recoveries.

Kirbear
23-03-20, 09:48
Not to mention the amount of people who haven’t been tested and have recovered

Lencoboy
23-03-20, 10:50

Which is probably why 'recovered' cases are now starting to be confirmed almost as quickly as new 'active' cases. Of course, only time will tell.

Gary A
23-03-20, 11:34

That number, especially in the UK, will be astronomical. All available data suggests that 4 in 5 people infected with Covid-19 will have either very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Considering there are over 5000 confirmed cases, of which all were showing symptoms severe enough to warrant medical intervention, that probably leaves tens of thousands of “mild” cases not screened.

I don’t at all agree with the numbers being published as they are, as it is really giving the impression that this virus is far more lethal than it actually is. Undoubtedly it’s serious, undoubtedly it’s killing people or making people very unwell. However, the rate of severe illness to infection rates is, in my opinion, very very low, certainly a lot lower than official figures are suggesting.

Lencoboy
23-03-20, 12:42
That number, especially in the UK, will be astronomical. All available data suggests that 4 in 5 people infected with Covid-19 will have either very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Considering there are over 5000 confirmed cases, of which all were showing symptoms severe enough to warrant medical intervention, that probably leaves tens of thousands of “mild” cases not screened.

I don’t at all agree with the numbers being published as they are, as it is really giving the impression that this virus is far more lethal than it actually is. Undoubtedly it’s serious, undoubtedly it’s killing people or making people very unwell. However, the rate of severe illness to infection rates is, in my opinion, very very low, certainly a lot lower than official figures are suggesting.

Totally agreed, Gary.

From the off, the official stats have shown us the total number of 'confirmed' cases, that cover 'active', 'recovered' and 'deaths', which I have considered dubious in many ways as IMO (and no doubt many others, including yours) artificially inflates the overall figures. And, of course, the number of recoveries is likely to skyrocket in due course in just the same way as confirmed 'active' cases have been doing thus far, especially due to under-recording/latent testing.

Kirbear
23-03-20, 14:12
Totally agreed, Gary.

From the off, the official stats have shown us the total number of 'confirmed' cases, that cover 'active', 'recovered' and 'deaths', which I have considered dubious in many ways as IMO (and no doubt many others, including yours) artificially inflates the overall figures. And, of course, the number of recoveries is likely to skyrocket in due course in just the same way as confirmed 'active' cases have been doing thus far, especially due to under-recording/latent testing.

Exactly! When I had been on Worldometers looking at statistics in China for a time it looked like waaaaay more deaths than recoveries. However, it started to Peter out daily with recoveries overtaking deaths. Obviously we can’t take information coming out of China as gospel but I do believe that to be the pattern.

MyNameIsTerry
23-03-20, 14:14

If the 1 in 1000 theory is accurate, noting that this is not the official government advisor's theory but he has stated it's fair, then soon we will start seeing large numbers recovering in the same way the spread is growing to infect new cases.

Gary A
23-03-20, 14:22
Exactly! When I had been on Worldometers looking at statistics in China for a time it looked like waaaaay more deaths than recoveries. However, it started to Peter out daily with recoveries overtaking deaths. Obviously we can’t take information coming out of China as gospel but I do believe that to be the pattern.

Remember also that a person is only deemed “recovered” when they have tested negative for Covid-19 on 3 occasions, and that’s after 14 days isolation. It takes longer to “recover” than it does to die, in a sense.

MyNameIsTerry
23-03-20, 14:24
Remember also that a person is only deemed “recovered” when they have tested negative for Covid-19 on 3 occasions, and that’s after 14 days isolation. It takes longer to “recover” than it does to die, in a sense.

Agreed. And because no one is being tested these figures will have to be approximated but they will be less newsworthy than the deaths and severe cases so they will be page 20 type stories...

Lencoboy
26-04-20, 16:42
BTW, our next door neighbour, who was admitted to hospital with the virus over 3 weeks ago, arrived back home last Thursday (23rd April) and is now virtually back to her old self once again. And all the more remarkable considering she is in her 60s-70s and asthmatic. Congrats to the NHS!!

dorabella
26-04-20, 19:50
There are a growing number of cases of octogenarians, nonogenarians and even centenarians recovering from hospital stays .... they are a generation of people who grew up in hard times and seem to be more resilient than predicted in weathering these events.

I saw that the Johns Hopkins tracking cites 778 reported recoveries as of today, and I read this morning online - might have been The Standard newspaper - that in London over 5000 have been discharged from hospital - and can't remember if it was about 3000 in the Midlands. None of this gets reported by the BBC though ... they prefer reporting catastrophic data and news generally. Absolutely no mention either by the BBC of the report that about 50 million immunity testing kits are in the pipeline to start making a dent in compiling community immunity data ... I wonder why that is??

No doubt the 'official' news doesn't want us to get any encouragement that there might be an end point to all this ... suspect they might be happier if they could keep us all locked down indefinitely whilst they dither and fence-sit.

Panicattacka
27-04-20, 03:12
Always amazes me how people think that their preferred news source is free of all hidden agendas, bias, political interference, etc. and it is the news sources of others which are dubious and corrupted. People who trust BBC/CNN/Fox, etc. and refuse to listen to anything else are so close minded.

Lolalee1
27-04-20, 04:39
I watch Fox News so I can get my daily dose of free entertainment about Donald Duck lol. I don’t think I’m close minded.

Sending well wishes over there.

WiseMonkey
27-04-20, 08:31
I watch Fox News so I can get my daily dose of free entertainment about Donald Duck lol. I don’t think I’m close minded. Sending well wishes over there.

We just love the latest song about the ducked one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU1ob_lHCw

Oh! and we (NZ) have 80% of our covid19 cases have recovered, that's 1180 and 270 live cases and more recovering every day :)

Lencoboy
27-04-20, 12:55
We just love the latest song about the ducked one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU1ob_lHCw

Oh! and we (NZ) have 80% of our covid19 cases have recovered, that's 1180 and 270 live cases and more recovering every day :)

Good for you and your country WM!!

At least your govt were pretty much on the case with all of this from the off, unlike ours and in the USA, both of whom were caught napping during the early onset of the pandemic and let the horse bolt before it was too late.

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 12:57
My local authority has to date reported just under two hundred cases, whilst the death toll in its hospitals is around sixty.

Lencoboy
27-04-20, 13:06
There are a growing number of cases of octogenarians, nonogenarians and even centenarians recovering from hospital stays .... they are a generation of people who grew up in hard times and seem to be more resilient than predicted in weathering these events.

I saw that the Johns Hopkins tracking cites 778 reported recoveries as of today, and I read this morning online - might have been The Standard newspaper - that in London over 5000 have been discharged from hospital - and can't remember if it was about 3000 in the Midlands. None of this gets reported by the BBC though ... they prefer reporting catastrophic data and news generally. Absolutely no mention either by the BBC of the report that about 50 million immunity testing kits are in the pipeline to start making a dent in compiling community immunity data ... I wonder why that is??

No doubt the 'official' news doesn't want us to get any encouragement that there might be an end point to all this ... suspect they might be happier if they could keep us all locked down indefinitely whilst they dither and fence-sit.

I totally agree with you Dorabella.

There is still barely any info/stats on recoveries here in the UK and our media still seem to be mostly concentrating on the more catastrophic aspects of the CV pandemic in this country. And not just Aunty Beeb either.

Nevertheless, the reason for this could very well be to discourage the general public from getting complacent and attempting to return to their normal pre-lockdown routines willy-nilly, which could risk sparking off a second wave of CV infections.

As horrible and inconvenient as all this lockdown malarkey is, it is still extremely important for us all to hang on in there as best we can until at least the 7th of May when the next UK lockdown review will be taking place.