PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to ease your mind/self care right now?

travelgirl77
23-03-20, 18:02
I know this is overwhelming and for me, the daily numbers, figures, and news stories can be draining and it is hard to see the silver lining and hope. I wanted to start this thread for people to share some of the things that bring them joy, distract, ease your fears right now. I know I would appreciate any suggestions people can provide.

As for me, I am getting outside for a walk every single day. I am listening to a good audiobook and my kids are destroying anthills along the way. For that hour or so, I can breathe easier.

Gary A
23-03-20, 18:16
I know this is overwhelming and for me, the daily numbers, figures, and news stories can be draining and it is hard to see the silver lining and hope. I wanted to start this thread for people to share some of the things that bring them joy, distract, ease your fears right now. I know I would appreciate any suggestions people can provide.

As for me, I am getting outside for a walk every single day. I am listening to a good audiobook and my kids are destroying anthills along the way. For that hour or so, I can breathe easier.

I just bought a new telescope for me and my daughter so we’re going to spend the next few weeks trying to learn the constellations and seeing what we can pick out in the night sky.

During the day, and some nights, I’m having to work so that’s keeping me a bit busier than I would like. I really thought that being at home more would allow me to engage in more...ahem, physical activities with my partner but apparently even a global pandemic doesn’t increase my chances.

pulisa
23-03-20, 18:20
I go out for a walk along the canal every day very early before my daughter gets up..It's very quiet and you can hear the birdsong. It's hard to believe all this mayhem is going on in the world as the sun has been out a lot in Surrey, UK..Spring is here and the cold months are over. Things will get easier as we all adapt to our new normal..For some it will be easier than others..and my family fall into the latter category but we are all in the same boat.

I have just put our garden chairs out and we are going to sit out when we can as much as possible..Free Vitamin D and all that!

Best wishes to you and yours, travelgirl! Great idea for a positive thread and for making the best of things! x

pulisa
23-03-20, 18:21
I just bought a new telescope for me and my daughter so we’re going to spend the next few weeks trying to learn the constellations and seeing what we can pick out in the night sky.

During the day, and some nights, I’m having to work so that’s keeping me a bit busier than I would like. I really thought that being at home more would allow me to engage in more...ahem, physical activities with my partner but apparently even a global pandemic doesn’t increase my chances.

Come on, Gary....You've only just got her name right!:D

pulisa
23-03-20, 18:22
I also wanted to get an outdoor table tennis table but they've all sold out!

Gary A
23-03-20, 18:24
Come on, Gary....You've only just got her name right!:D

She also delivers a fairly accurate and powerful kick when angry. I’ve discovered that a lot recently.

Scass
23-03-20, 18:41
I am getting out for a walk as often as possible. I’m making my home office desk look pretty. I’m practicing online retail therapy. I’m eating all the chocolate. I’m having long baths. I’m watching graham norton show clips on YouTube. I’m trying to limit the amount I look at the news.

pulisa
23-03-20, 19:29
She also delivers a fairly accurate and powerful kick when angry. I’ve discovered that a lot recently.

Has she been perfecting the Eric Cantona technique?

pulisa
23-03-20, 19:40
I am getting out for a walk as often as possible. I’m making my home office desk look pretty. I’m practicing online retail therapy. I’m eating all the chocolate. I’m having long baths. I’m watching graham norton show clips on YouTube. I’m trying to limit the amount I look at the news.

Limiting the news is essential for stable mental health..We all know what is happening but we need to keep our own lives on track away from all the facts and figures, predictions and media exploitation of an audience desperate for reassurance and information from any source...and many "experts" are wheeled out from their ivory towers!

What have you put on your desk, Scass? Are you able to work in peace?

Lencoboy
23-03-20, 19:41
I go out for a walk along the canal every day very early before my daughter gets up..It's very quiet and you can hear the birdsong. It's hard to believe all this mayhem is going on in the world as the sun has been out a lot in Surrey, UK..Spring is here and the cold months are over. Things will get easier as we all adapt to our new normal..For some it will be easier than others..and my family fall into the latter category but we are all in the same boat.

I have just put our garden chairs out and we are going to sit out when we can as much as possible..Free Vitamin D and all that!

Best wishes to you and yours, travelgirl! Great idea for a positive thread and for making the best of things! x

Of course they will, as we all rise to the occasion in these times of adversity.

During the 'down time' over the next few weeks or so, me and my dad are purging our garden sheds of all the junk that has accumulated in both of them over the past 15 years or so, and I am trying to get my mom (who has dementia) to come out for a walk with me and the dog while it's not raining ATM, and two days on the trot I have succeeded in doing so, and she will most certainly be all the better for it.

glassgirlw
23-03-20, 19:54
I’m working on my quilting more, finding happy lighthearted shows to watch on YouTube and Netflix, and really trying my best to limit my news intake. That’s the hard one.

Panicattacka
24-03-20, 05:38
Limiting the news is essential for stable mental health..We all know what is happening but we need to keep our own lives on track away from all the facts and figures, predictions and media exploitation of an audience desperate for reassurance and information from any source...and many "experts" are wheeled out from their ivory towers!

This times a thousand. I've reduced my news watching and reading 95% for weeks now. I would advise against obsessively following Covid news and stats 24/7 – it really isn’t good for anxiety levels and ultimately mental health. Maybe limit yourself to checking the news briefly in the morning and then that’s it. If anything really important happens in your neighbourhood, trust me, you’ll know about it anyway.

Not to sound cold-hearted, but I don’t need to know in real time that someone in Argentina, Denmark, Indonesia, etc. has just died or some "celeb" has just tested positive. It's just too much noise and it's bad for you.

raspberry22
24-03-20, 07:35
I've been trying to get back to old hobbies that lay around the house forgotten, Netflix, and trying to read when my brain lets me.

Really trying to limit news and social media intake but it's hard sometimes especially with social media where you can just keep scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.

I didn't do very well last night due to the PM update at 8.30pm, ended up on Facebook just scrolling and then felt pretty depressed and anxious.

But today is a new day so I'm going to try and keep busy.

BlueIris
24-03-20, 07:39
I've been trying out being a workaholic, but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that this is unhealthy in and of itself. Today I'm planning on taking things a little easier, though, and allowing myself the time to process what's happening.

Desperately afraid of going into work on Friday; I'm normally pretty laid-back about this stuff but I'm fighting the urge to buy a respirator mask because I know there'll be people who need it more.

pulisa
24-03-20, 08:23
Do these masks work anyway? I think you are doing the right thing by trying to hold off buying one. There are a lot of unscrupulous traders out there trying to flog them at high prices, I'm sure.

BlueIris
24-03-20, 08:29
Thanks. I've been so good lately but I had an absolute killer of a panic attack hit this morning, and I have to talk somebody through some quite complex tech stuff over the phone within the next half hour or so.

Sorry for threadjacking, all.

pulisa
24-03-20, 08:36
You can do it because you will focus on explaining the tricky bits and need to block out all the background mental chatter. Get your head as clear as you can and remember that you are an expert in your field and are helping someone else..You can do it!

Scass
24-03-20, 09:32
I bought a new book about beating anxiety and panic attacks!

You can do it Blue x

ErinKC
28-03-20, 23:20
We are trying to get outside every day that it's not raining. We put our folding chairs in the sunny front yard and chat with passing neighbors (from at least 6 feet away!). I'm reading Harry Potter to my 5 year old and she's loving it. Today I sent my husband and daughter on a driving scavenger hunt (so I could be alone for an hour!). I made a list of things to find and they had to drive around to locate all of them. We're also doing a lot of art.

Oh and video chats with friends! Today I talked with three of my old coworkers, two of whom I haven't seen or talked to in a few years! And, my daughter facetimed with her best friend. I'm starting to think about all the times I've said, "we should get together soon!" and never did. I hope to change that once this is over and see the people I care about more often!

Lolalee1
29-03-20, 04:36
Trying not to watch the news,it seems to be 24/7.
Stuck inside I am going crazy:weep:

ErinKC
30-03-20, 04:46
Oh, also, 0.5 mg of lorazapam! It's great or self-care!

Scass
31-03-20, 08:11
Chocolate and romance novels!

Lolalee1
31-03-20, 09:42
I got some books delivered today along with Readers Digest books dating back to 1998 :roflmao:
Chocolate! I will put an order in for dark Lyndt truffles.:yesyes:

AuroraEllaBelle
31-03-20, 17:05
I’ve bought a load of self-help books on anxiety. I thought I’d use the time wisely to help myself!