PDA

View Full Version : Feeling anxious!!

sarahblonde32
24-03-20, 10:44
So today, i feel anxious. I have had to turn the news off, im worried about my parents and brother and his wife. I hate staying in, i like to be busy (distraction). Im getting restless. I have uni assignments to do but no motivation to do them.
Funnily enough i have my CBT appointment today!(now on telephone instead).
I presume i am not the only one feeling this way..can't wait for this to be over.
Stay safe everyone
Sarah x

Call me Edwin
24-03-20, 11:06
Hi Sarah, you are absolutely not alone. Millions of people feel just like you, many of them for the first time, because we are in a totally unfamiliar situation. It may well go on for a long time, but eventually we will start to get used to it.

Something I said on another thread: we have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to recognise danger, focus on it, run away from it, and not relax until we are clear of it. Unfortunately, this threat is not one we can run away from, but our brains make us continue to focus on it. This is 100% exactly what our brains are evolved to do. Be assured that it is normal.

I'm not at all surprised you can't concentrate on your uni assignments - I would guess you're in the majority. So do something physical instead - tidy up those cupboards and make good use of your exercise ration. If you can get your body tired, this will help make your mind relax.

I don't know how far along you are with your CBT, but your therapist will be able to give you good advice - try to do what he/she says.

all the best

sarahblonde32
26-03-20, 19:53
Hi, yes been trying to keep busy, walks (close to home!) Tidying up, reading.
Seriously getting bored now, i live alone, feel very alone. Lost the family cat yesterday too (put to sleep) so now feel sad and anxious!
But, like you say, everyone is feeling the effects too..
Thanks for advice,
Sx

Call me Edwin
27-03-20, 16:03
That's good to hear - apart from the bit about your cat. My partner and I have 2 cats and I get a bit worried every time they go out in case something happens to them!

After that you have every right to be upset for a while so award yourself a free pass to fret for a bit. Eventually, things will turn around.