PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice required

phil06
24-03-20, 13:23
I need some help my work is refusing to close we are a bargain this store. I don’t want to go doctor won’t give me a line to stay off. Psychiatrist are all redeployed elsewhere in hospital so can’t talk. I am very worried as two customers coughed on me yesterday. I contacted the media but told them to leave it in fear I would be sacked my partners work also forcing her to go. I need advice ASAP my union at work won’t help can’t get hold off head office. Don’t wanna go into work and beg for unpaid leave which will leave me with no means to pay bills?

BlueIris
24-03-20, 13:27
I'm sorry, Phil, that's an awful situation. I think you'll have to do what others are doing, face your fears and head in.

It's not ideal, but if you're careful and practicing social distancing there's a good chance you'll be okay. I have to go into work once a week now, and I'm afraid too. Remember how much you're helping others, though.

phil06
24-03-20, 13:31
I'm sorry, Phil, that's an awful situation. I think you'll have to do what others are doing, face your fears and head in.

It's not ideal, but if you're careful and practicing social distancing there's a good chance you'll be okay. I have to go into work once a week now, and I'm afraid too. Remember how much you're helping others, though.

Yes it’s very worrying how people are being redeployed and can’t access metal health support. I have to work 4 days at the moment but I have two days off right now

BlueIris
24-03-20, 13:36
If you don't believe your shop is truly an essential shop, it might be worth contacting your local MP. They'll be able to advise you further.

phil06
24-03-20, 13:43
If you don't believe your shop is truly an essential shop, it might be worth contacting your local MP. They'll be able to advise you further.

Thanks I gone down this route he was very worried but stopped far of what action to take. I was going to see if I can get a holiday or unpaid leave?

BlueIris
24-03-20, 13:46
That's also worth a shot. I know things are really tough in retail right now.

Let us know how you get on?

phil06
24-03-20, 14:32
I went to see them I can take time off but it’s unpaid self isolation. Call every week but they discipline you but if you stay off and don’t go back you only get 1 warning. I said I would work next two shifts take it from there and see what happens. They looked very sad when I told them about how I felt. I am also quite sad as I never wanted to say I don’t wanna go to work I now have to weigh up if I can afford unpaid leave for many weeks?

BlueIris
24-03-20, 14:34
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, which is why I'm going to go in and do my shifts. If nothing else, it'll do your reputation with the company a world of good, and that's always something good to have in your back pocket.

nomorepanic
24-03-20, 14:47
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Pamplemousse
24-03-20, 14:55
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, which is why I'm going to go in and do my shifts. If nothing else, it'll do your reputation with the company a world of good, and that's always something good to have in your back pocket.

Please don't encourage 'presenteeism' - employees are dispensable and no company cares a jot about them. There's always another.

BlueIris
24-03-20, 15:28
I'm sorry, Pamplemousse. I do get what you're saying. It's a brutal world out there, though, and these same employers will often look for any excuse to get rid of a person, especially in precarious sectors like retail.

phil06
24-03-20, 15:59
I have been with the company 9 years would they not find it hard to get rid of me?

nomorepanic
24-03-20, 16:47
Certainly not Phil - there are no loyalties nowadays.

Pamplemousse
24-03-20, 17:33
I have been with the company 9 years would they not find it hard to get rid of me?

I was with my employer 28 years and in the stroke of a pen I was gone, "surplus to the needs of the business". So the answer is "no, they would not find it hard to get rid of you".

Scass
24-03-20, 18:25
Phil, it’s a scary situation and I’m not sure I’d want to be in your position.
Are your managers taking steps to ensure your health and safety? If not then I would certainly document it and speak to your bosses because they could be breaking the law.

You do have an choice- you can call in and advise that you are self isolating. I personally think that on this occasion you should do what you believe is best for you. So many employees are having to self isolate at the moment that employers should be used to it right now.

As to whether they could fire you, I don’t know. They would need a very good reason to just get rid of you without any warnings as it would need to be gross misconduct - unless you are on zero hours?

Take care of yourself.

Carys
24-03-20, 18:27
What sort of store is it Phil - I thought it was a supermarket you worked for ?

nomorepanic
24-03-20, 18:35
I thought Phil worked in a mobile phone shop

phil06
24-03-20, 18:55
It’s a bargain retailer we sell garden, paint, mirrors, bedding and a little food and pets. (Not supermarket)

phil06
24-03-20, 18:59
Phil, it’s a scary situation and I’m not sure I’d want to be in your position.
Are your managers taking steps to ensure your health and safety? If not then I would certainly document it and speak to your bosses because they could be breaking the law.

You do have an choice- you can call in and advise that you are self isolating. I personally think that on this occasion you should do what you believe is best for you. So many employees are having to self isolate at the moment that employers should be used to it right now.

As to whether they could fire you, I don’t know. They would need a very good reason to just get rid of you without any warnings as it would need to be gross misconduct - unless you are on zero hours?

Take care of yourself.

Ok thanks

My area has about 40 cases and also Scotland is lower than the rest of uk so do I judge on that? Numbers may further.

I may take unpaid leave but if I do then my anxiety shifts to worry about paying for stuff. I feel trapped at the moment really course I would lol d to be at work but advice is changing Daily. Nicola Sturgeon says if firms even sell food if they can’t keep 2 m rule and work safety they should close. As I say people are getting close to me my work asked me why I never said to the customers who coughed on me but i said I never wanted to make a fuss?

phil06
24-03-20, 19:00
The psychiatrist ever called back I guess they are too busy not ideal is it?

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-20, 20:04
I'm sorry, Pamplemousse. I do get what you're saying. It's a brutal world out there, though, and these same employers will often look for any excuse to get rid of a person, especially in precarious sectors like retail.

And he's recently changed store, been in trouble over mobile use, etc. It's not the same as a clean record at a place you've been at for years especially when early on there has been an issue of conduct addressed.

Be a hard worker and don't give them reasons if they need them. Be very careful how you progress with this and if you are whistleblowing make sure your anonymity is protected.

There is still some confusion over store closures and the government are having to work on it. Sports Direct found themselves getting slated in Parliament over their unwillingness to close.

I'm guessing being a general store you sell toiletries, hand washing stuff, etc? Something people need right now.

phil06
24-03-20, 20:48
And he's recently changed store, been in trouble over mobile use, etc. It's not the same as a clean record at a place you've been at for years especially when early on there has been an issue of conduct addressed.

Be a hard worker and don't give them reasons if they need them. Be very careful how you progress with this and if you are whistleblowing make sure your anonymity is protected.

There is still some confusion over store closures and the government are having to work on it. Sports Direct found themselves getting slated in Parliament over their unwillingness to close.

I'm guessing being a general store you sell toiletries, hand washing stuff, etc? Something people need right now.

Latest advice is my partners work now has to shut at 6pm and some stores are closing non food areas..this will affect sales and staff levels ?

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 05:08
Latest advice is my partners work now has to shut at 6pm and some stores are closing non food areas..this will affect sales and staff levels ?

Sadly so but it's being felt everywhere. You just have to hope it's not for long and your earnings get covered.

phil06
25-03-20, 10:57
I don’t get why we are keeping entire malls open just for Poundland? And as I say shops are starting to corden off non food areas so not much money to be made. Surely they will soon tell some staff to stay at home?

phil06
25-03-20, 11:02
Also I read half the nation could have this virus not sure I believe that but if it was true that’s not very good news?

Pamplemousse
25-03-20, 11:27
Also I read half the nation could have this virus not sure I believe that but if it was true that’s not very good news?

I see a lot of people believe it to be 'good news'. Being a glass-half-empty person, I fail to see how in any way this is 'good'.

Elen
25-03-20, 11:49
I see it as good news, if half the population have had it already or have it now and are not hospitalised, then herd immunity will hopefully happen sooner rather than later.

It will also mean that the statistics regarding serious cases and deaths are greatly reduced.

Pamplemousse
25-03-20, 11:57
I see it as good news, if half the population have had it already or have it now and are not hospitalised, then herd immunity will hopefully happen sooner rather than later.

It will also mean that the statistics regarding serious cases and deaths are greatly reduced.

To my mind (and I suspect Phil's) it just greatly increases the chances of the vulnerable catching it if they have to go outside of their homes to do some shopping because they can't get a delivery slot for online grocery shopping. I'm not sure the "herd immunity" thing carries any credibility any more.

And remember: "there are lies, damned lies and statistics". Statistics are fine until you become one of them.

Scass
25-03-20, 12:07

I’m with Elen on this one.

Also Phil, people need to shop and there need to be places where they can buy essentials. Especially in lower income shops.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 12:51

Agreed. The study talked about so many having already had it because it was here and we didn't really know it. Whilst that sounds scary it actually means the numbers are much better and more importantly people haven't been as badly impacted including the at risk who have been mingling in normal society pre social distances measures.

But it does make you wonder why some countries are being hit much harder.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 12:55
I don’t get why we are keeping entire malls open just for Poundland? And as I say shops are starting to corden off non food areas so not much money to be made. Surely they will soon tell some staff to stay at home?

Things may tighten if people don't follow the current regime. But if a shopping centre stays open for one shop that the government is fine with then as long as it doesn't mean tons of people wandering around it might be ok (never great for the staff though). The shopping centre can always force closure but.

The economy is taking a massive hit from all this so they have to mindful of even greater damage from a larger lockdown vs the impact on the virus.

BlueIris
25-03-20, 12:58
For what it's worth, we're keeping a whole college building open for a small handful of staff and students.

phil06
25-03-20, 13:23
That latest news is my partner works for a discount chain they are in a conference call about closing. My work is now letting one customer in at a time hardly worth staying open now it’s crazy times this ..

phil06
25-03-20, 13:51
Guidance: Further businesses and premises which must closeOn 23 March the Scottish Government working closely with the UK Government, stepped up measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus and save lives. All non-essential premises must now close.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 13:57
What is the definition of essential? They were saying this days ago yet DIY stores were allowed to stay open. Is this a further clamp down or just Sturgeon reminding them they should have closed when Boris said so days ago? They might just be telling firms not to follow Sports Direct in trying to put profit first.

phil06
25-03-20, 14:04
What is the definition of essential? They were saying this days ago yet DIY stores were allowed to stay open. Is this a further clamp down or just Sturgeon reminding them they should have closed when Boris said so days ago? They might just be telling firms not to follow Sports Direct in trying to put profit first.

Further camp down it seems they can only buy food now and that’s almost sold out. One would think full closure has to happen?

Scass
25-03-20, 14:14
Further camp down it seems they can only buy food now and that’s almost sold out. One would think full closure has to happen?

I think that’s wishful thinking Phil!
The wording is very ambiguous, so the shop could possibly stay open. They’ll surely be able to get food deliveries.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 14:39

Only if you don't mind eating thin air, phil. How are people supposed to eat if they close everything? It would mean an operation to deliver food to every house in the UK. Just cover the 1.5 million at risk they are asking for 250k volunteers.

Here is the list linked to the BBC's latest update which includes Sturgeon's advice:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/875304/240320_Revised_Guidance.pdf

Lots of stores will be able to stay open based on that. Why we need off licences open is a mystery to me...

phil06
25-03-20, 15:14
Come on folks almost 15 thousand supermarket stores in uk more than enough food to go round Europe did the right thing time for Uk to follow.

phil06
25-03-20, 16:26
I have contacted the Scottish government today by phone also contacted my solicitor regarding lack of regulations in place at work and asked if I have grounds to sue them should I catch the virus?

Scass
25-03-20, 17:32
Phil I think you’re taking it a bit far personally. But look, why don’t you just sign yourself off sick if you’re that worried. We’ve all offered advice and I’m not sure what else we can do. We do sympathise but I can’t technically blame your employer for staying open.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 19:47
Phil I think you’re taking it a bit far personally. But look, why don’t you just sign yourself off sick if you’re that worried. We’ve all offered advice and I’m not sure what else we can do. We do sympathise but I can’t technically blame your employer for staying open.

Agreed. If the government says it's fine that's it.

Other countries have different responses because it's tailored to their situation.

How will you get food if no one picks it, no one distributes It, no one sells it?

Are you sure this isn't your anxiety or rigid thinking talking?

phil06
25-03-20, 20:28

Thank you.

I guess I am taking this a bit far I said I would sleep separate beds to my wife if she’s at work but as I have anxiety this has really got to me. I could take time off work but I would have to ring for a sickline again as they wouldn’t issue one it’s the fact I could have no pay? Should I just take no pay then or really try harder for a sickline so I have money for bills?

phil06
25-03-20, 20:36
Agreed. If the government says it's fine that's it.

Other countries have different responses because it's tailored to their situation.

How will you get food if no one picks it, no one distributes It, no one sells it?

Are you sure this isn't your anxiety or rigid thinking talking?

Yes they give sickline a for anxiety and stress though don’t they? Is there anything I can tell the GP?

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 20:39
It's possible you could claim the impact is on your mental health but that's one for your GP to decide as to whether they are happy issuing a FIT note. Then you may be taking normal sickness absence under company policy, which is the case if not I'll with coronavirus or self isolating, but I would be safe and be sure in that with your contract as your employer might see it as coronavirus related. If they do you would fall back under whether you get paid or the 80%.

It's a tricky call as it's a grey area.

phil06
25-03-20, 20:44
It's possible you could claim the impact is on your mental health but that's one for your GP to decide as to whether they are happy issuing a FIT note. Then you may be taking normal sickness absence under company policy, which is the case if not I'll with coronavirus or self isolating, but I would be safe and be sure in that with your contract as your employer might see it as coronavirus related. If they do you would fall back under whether you get paid or the 80%.

It's a tricky call as it's a grey area.

True but having no pay would be pretty poor like I say the psychiatrists are not working at the moment with patients. If I have no pay that makes me more anxious they did say they would look at it. I mean surely there is lots of anxiety people off work right now so have been told they must work? Maybe thousands surely I shouldn’t feel bad for going off?

phil06
25-03-20, 20:45
And Terry I would take basic sick pay not worried about 80% ideally I would get that but I have been hit with threats of no pay and worry I will lose the house it’s awful

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-20, 21:00
Normal sick pay rules apply. You could go off with a bad back tomorrow and it would a separate issue to be dealt with go a normal absence policy.

The difference with this scare is that people may have paid leave. Some may simply lay staff off as they would seasonal workers in down periods which makes them unemployed and approaching the Job centre for benefits.

People going off with anxiety is normal absence. If companies are laying people off there is a danger those already off sick could be part of that group. It's hard to say and could result in needing a tribunal decision. This is why I'm saying be careful.

The government want companies to give them paid or unpaid leave. The latter they will support up to the 80%. The former is a grey area where companies less financially sound will be accessing the Chancellors pot of cash I would imagine.

I bet GPs will also be mindful of some who may try for a FIT note to force their employer to provide sick pay when they really are fine and just trying not to fall into that potentially laid off category before the 80% was announced.

Pamplemousse
25-03-20, 21:06
True but having no pay would be pretty poor

Consider the self-employed then, Phil: I've lost a frightening amount of money as a result of my clients cancelling - well into four figures. No work: no money, simple as.

phil06
25-03-20, 21:38
I have had an anxiety attack tonight couldn’t eat my dinner felt I couldn’t cope never felt this way since I had my breakdown. I have a bipolar diagnoses so I am very worried I won’t cope end up in hospital with limited resources no visitors at the moment or need diazepam. Gp needs to take this more serious

phil06
25-03-20, 21:39
Consider the self-employed then, Phil: I've lost a frightening amount of money as a result of my clients cancelling - well into four figures. No work: no money, simple as.

Yes I hear the government has more help coming tomorrow for self employed

Pamplemousse
25-03-20, 22:05
I'll believe it when I see it, Phil!

phil06
25-03-20, 22:42
Terry do you know if I go on sick and my work later decided to close do I get moved onto 80% pay?

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 04:33
That's a grey area by the sounds of It, phil. It's a question to put to an expert group.

If you are on sick already for a non coronavirus issue (self isolating due to possibility and government advice or actually having it) then it's normal sickness absence. Going off with mental health issues related to this may get lumped or not. Strictly you would think they wouldn't but a more responsible employer might accept it. Another dodgy employer might lump it in to cash in on government grants.

There is the argument that anyone off sick could return. If they then closed you would be prevented by their decision. In that case the 80% back up would feel appropriate.

There is also the possibility an employer might end someone's sick period in the case of closer so they get the same benefit as everyone else (perhaps if it's in their favour) but the employee might still be sick whenbtgey reopen and what happens with FIT notes? I think one way to find that out would be to research whether employees need to continue supplying FIT notes even if the business has shut temporarily. This isn't exclusive to the current crisis since it can already happen with seasonal workers (e.g. my dad's firm always closed for Christmas which was a lay off until they made them use their holidays. They also had quiet periods in Winter so laid workers off).

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 04:58
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/guidance-for-employers-and-businesses-on-coronavirus-covid-19#sick-pay

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees

From what this says if you go off sick you just get sick pay. The question mark then is over anything above SSP that your contract pay you. You should get it but if the company closes it's unclear.

It's furloughed workers that get the 80% looking at this. So those sick with coronavirus may just get shafted by only getting SSP, assuming their contract doesn't allow for x weeks of full pay, as opposed to the healthy put on furlough as the company can apply for a grant. But larger companies are likely to weather the storm on their own (let's hope, this is all tax money after all) so they may pay 100% for furlough and whatever the contract states for those on sickness.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 05:13
Further advice here:

https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus/if-the-employer-needs-to-close-the-workplace

This is more clearly laid out so have a read about how they manage sickness absence as normal here:

https://www.cipd.co.uk/news-views/coronavirus/faqs

phil06
26-03-20, 10:48
Update got sickline for one week he said 80% of population will get the virus they put on sickline i had anxiety and bipolar so was bit worried about showing work that? Anyway bad news is the work rejected sickline as they said they are giving masks now and sickline said they are not giving masks. Any advice please help? I think I will have to go into work today

phil06
26-03-20, 11:19
Update called HR they will accept sickline due to bipolar and anxiety being on it so seems it was they manager being unhelpful with me..going to take a week off and go back hopefully they are closed by then

phil06
26-03-20, 11:56
I know it was on my records about the bipolar and anxiety from my old store but I do worry about the new store reading this I don’t want to look bad that I have a mental illness

nomorepanic
26-03-20, 11:57
Who said 80% of the population would get it?

phil06
26-03-20, 12:17
Who said 80% of the population would get it?

The GP. He mentioned how it would last for many months and even a six month sickline may not be long enough. I’m not sure I believe him to be honest as China was fixed in 3 months. He said mental health takes a back seat and he was worried if he signed me off too long I would be sacked. Was a 20 min phone call he said he was very worried aswell. But yeah because I am fit and healthy he said I should get it mild I said well how can you be sure as some healthy people have died ..

nomorepanic
26-03-20, 13:05
Sorry but how can a professional say ridiculous things like that to a patient! Who told him 80% of us will get it anyway?

Pamplemousse
26-03-20, 13:19
Who told him 80% of us will get it anyway?
Wasn't that HMG's initial assessment?

Carys
26-03-20, 13:36
Thats what they were saying in the first few days of a handful of cases. Its all changed since then, a longtime ago, so that GP is out of touch.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 13:42
That was the worst case scenario if we did nothing and carried on with daily life. It was a risk assessment. There were various ones floated but the media jumped on that as it was the scariest.

That GP needs to keep up on the news.

I find his statement about mental health taking a back seat worrying too. Whilst many things will as they wont see people for routine appointments mental health has been raised as a risk in this.

Carys
26-03-20, 13:49
Very worrying about the 'mental health' comment. For most people, even those who haven't had mental health problems in their lives, they are having struggles with it through this period. I never like the sound of a doctor who reverts to 'physical health' is the only important type.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 13:53
Agreed, Carys. You always get that feeling they have an ignorant or old fashioned view of mental health.

Carys
26-03-20, 14:04
Yeah - and they are both also inextricably joined. Why so many recent articles on the mental health of those older people self-isolating, or those with already existing anxiety conditions and so on......one affects the other.

phil06
26-03-20, 14:59
I have been criticising some of these discount chains on social media and one of them out a post up getting annoyed people tagging politicians in them had lots of good feedback but the store in question I had people trolling me saying they need Poundland. Crazy.

And yes doctors shouldn’t be telling us 80% will get it and also mental health taking a back seat very worrying it made me wonder if this is happening elsewhere in the UK?

phil06
26-03-20, 15:01

phil06
26-03-20, 15:03

Carys
26-03-20, 15:03
I have been criticising some of these discount chains on social media and one of them out a post up getting annoyed people tagging politicians in them had lots of good feedback but the store in question I had people trolling me saying they need Poundland.

Risky strategy Phil, as an employee and as someone who struggles with social media.

phil06
26-03-20, 15:04

phil06
26-03-20, 15:05
Risky strategy Phil, as an employee and as someone who struggles with social media.

Well I don’t work for Poundland so thought I would moan about them more

nomorepanic
26-03-20, 15:16
Can't you just leave it Phil - you got what you wanted so let other people fight their own battles for now and you concentrate on yourself.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 15:22
I have been criticising some of these discount chains on social media and one of them out a post up getting annoyed people tagging politicians in them had lots of good feedback but the store in question I had people trolling me saying they need Poundland. Crazy.

And yes doctors shouldn’t be telling us 80% will get it and also mental health taking a back seat very worrying it made me wonder if this is happening elsewhere in the UK?

Poundland sell disinfectant, soap, some food, some toiletries and over the counter meds. If you shut them you will need to shut all the small convenience stores down too.

I don't see a problem with the likes of Poundland as they are selling essentials. Just because they sell other stuff too isn't relevant otherwise you would have to close all the supermarkets as well.

I think we realise you don't want to be at work but you might also consider shoppers can't get what they need too. In my area the big supermarkets are still empty for many items so where are we supposed to go? If you remove the discount stores you only push further people into supermarkets and ensure there is less stock to go around. Not to mention corralling more people into less places which only means a greater potential to spread it.

Unfortunately shoppers are having to go to more stores, thus making the problem worse, but this is because the supermarkets sat on their bums counting the coins. They saw it happening and all they did was go to the government and ask shoppers not to panic buy. Anyone with a brain cell knows telling people not to panic buy has a limited effect (and creates a second wave) so you don't rely on it. ALDI were the only big supermarket chain to intervene quicker with Tesco coming shortly afterwards but with a very limited policy. Shoppers emptied one chain and went to another and did the same. The bosses, and all their armies of highly paid people, would know this and should have worked together from much earlier.

So, until the big supermarkets get stock levels right, we are stuffed. We have the government telling us to stay in and buy goods online. We have the supermarkets refusing to take new registrations for online shopping and telling people to go in stores for essentials to help the elderly use the online services (when some won't even take new customers including the elderly).

Typical left hand right hand issue.

phil06
26-03-20, 15:23
Yes I can give it a rest I suppose I locked down my social media and deleted the posts. But I’m off for one week I may end up back at work?

Carys
26-03-20, 15:28
Maybe you will end up back at work, but you know what Phil - just as Terry said - people NEED these types of shops. Your needs and fears , yet again, can't and shouldn't be put above the needs of many many other people. You need to drop the campaign, as it won't make you popular.

glassgirlw
26-03-20, 15:41
I can promise you a lot of us don’t WANT to be at work right now. I know I’d much rather be at home and not risking exposing myself to this virus on a daily basis. Unfortunately my line of work has been deemed “essential” in my county so I have no choice but to work unless god forbid I get ill. It’s just the way it is. I don’t mean to sound harsh but you may have to just deal with it and go to work if you’re needed :shrug:

phil06
26-03-20, 15:41
Maybe you will end up back at work, but you know what Phil - just as Terry said - people NEED these types of shops. Your needs and fears , yet again, can't and shouldn't be put above the needs of many many other people. You need to drop the campaign, as it won't make you popular.

I get that but without being negative lots of places travel ect will all go bust after this anyway. So we will maybe have been less shops. I understand we need these shops but perhaps they could allow people who can’t cope stay off? Many people are able to deal with this better so they will always have staff who can go in and run the ship so to speak?

BlueIris
26-03-20, 15:59
I don't want to go into work tomorrow and be around students, Phil. I have an anxiety disorder, too, and frankly, even the people who don't have them don't want to be taking these risks right now. I've seen otherwise mentally healthy colleagues have complete breakdowns over this.

However, I had my moment of stressing and then honestly? I decided I liked the thought of being somebody who helps others out.

Don't you want to feel proud of yourself, too?

Carys
26-03-20, 16:08
I'm proud of you too Blue ! I think you are right, even some people who don't have anxiety disorders are struggling big time with this situation. Everybody needs to do their bit here and try to overcome their fears as best they can.

Funnily enough, on that theme of 'helping others out', I was going to suggest that if Phil is going to be off work then he could sign up as an NHS volunteer ? Or maybe check on if any elderly people in the area need some shopping ? It doesn't mean you have to go knocking doors as people are in isolation, but if you know of people who could be isolated and in trouble then pop a note with your telephone number through the door.

phil06
26-03-20, 16:23
I have a gran at 104 but been unable to see her. Not seen my mum in 3 weeks as they are telling people to avoid people so everything is done over video call.

I am worried about my job I wasn’t very comfortable them knowing about the bipolar and anxiety as they may judge me. Sure they may have seen it in my file from my 2016 breakdown but I can’t confirm. Perhaps she is annoyed as they are down staff levels? A small Sainsbury’s near me only let 2 customers in at a time today but heard some shops letting 76 in. Perhaps if they manage numbers it will be good. Perhaps by the time I have been off one week measures in my work be much tougher and they may limit it to less customers? By doing this perhaps it will make things easier. He supermarkets are paying bonus, installing safety screens and arrows and limiting numbers they seem to be doing more. Perhaps if my company are more helpful it will make returning to work a little less anxious for me? With less customers instore they would be able to keep safe distance unless the staff have the virus?

BlueIris
26-03-20, 16:24
It's genuinely scary out there right now; the risks are undeniable. But Phil, all those people out there who you think find it easier to cope than you?

Chances are they're bricking it, too.

phil06
26-03-20, 16:37
It's genuinely scary out there right now; the risks are undeniable. But Phil, all those people out there who you think find it easier to cope than you?

Chances are they're bricking it, too.

My mum and dad are very laid back don’t care if they get it and they are not worried. My sister is slightly worried but more worried about her self employed business. My brother is more annoyed he can’t get his mince at the supermarket. My friends are also laid back and think it’s totally good to go to work. Only my partners parents are worried about it from what I have seen. It seems some people are worried but many are taking this very laid back?

A note to admin I having trouble logging in saying it’s used up my log in quota so having to use 4G not sure if there is an issue with the site?

Scass
26-03-20, 17:26
Phil I think it’s one thing to not want to go into work, it’s absolutely your choice. But it’s another to wage war against companies who are denied by the government as essential. That isn’t your choice. Be careful because slagging off your employer on social media is definitely cause for gross misconduct.

nomorepanic
26-03-20, 17:42
A note to admin I having trouble logging in saying it’s used up my log in quota so having to use 4G not sure if there is an issue with the site?

Surely that is something with your phone?

pulisa
26-03-20, 17:58
You're on very dangerous territory, Phil. You need the routine of your job and you need an income, particularly now. You are certainly dispensable so my advice would be not to rock the boat.

phil06
26-03-20, 18:09
You're on very dangerous territory, Phil. You need the routine of your job and you need an income, particularly now. You are certainly dispensable so my advice would be not to rock the boat.

Yes but have to take the week off now don’t i now I have sick line in? :)

phil06
26-03-20, 18:10
I have took a break from social media for now

Pamplemousse
26-03-20, 18:37

Absolutely he is - I'm certainly aware of people being dismissed for such actions.

phil06
26-03-20, 18:45
Absolutely he is - I'm certainly aware of people being dismissed for such actions.

The site I used I did use my picture but only the name Phil..not full name or employer

glassgirlw
26-03-20, 19:23
The site I used I did use my picture but only the name Phil..not full name or employer

your picture is all that’s needed. All it takes is one person familiar with you to see it and forward to your company.

This is why I’ve impressed on my daughter for years to never put anything online that you don’t want your boss to see. Because there is always a chance they’ll see it. Every post online leaves a footprint digitally that can’t be removed.

phil06
26-03-20, 19:25
your picture is all that’s needed. All it takes is one person familiar with you to see it and forward to your company.

This is why I’ve impressed on my daughter for years to never put anything online that you don’t want your boss to see. Because there is always a chance they’ll see it. Every post online leaves a footprint digitally that can’t be removed.

Yes I get that

I can change my username, I switched it to private and removed my photo so they would have had to have sent my into onto the company before I deleted every post

pulisa
26-03-20, 19:39
I have took a break from social media for now

I think you are very vulnerable when you use social media and could probably benefit from a long term break.

phil06
26-03-20, 19:53
I think you are very vulnerable when you use social media and could probably benefit from a long term break.

I agree I went back on but not to post. I feel I need a long term strategy as I have been battling anxiety long before this coronavirus. Perhaps I will seek more CBT and pay for it once this is all over. It’s been 4 years since I needed a sickline for my anxiety. So yes I have got by so to speak which is good but I would like to improve my situation a bit.

phil06
26-03-20, 19:56
To give you an idea my GP never called me back today and also neither did the psychiatrist. Shows how stretched resources are at the moment.

phil06
26-03-20, 20:04
Being honest tonight I am very worried that my employer was made aware of my anxiety as I tend to keep it private from the job I hate a fuss so I worry about what they think?

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 20:45
Yes but have to take the week off now don’t i now I have sick line in? :)

Nope. Nothing stopping you waiving that by law. The days of needing a GP to write a cert to reduce the previous one are long gone.

Besides the first 5 days are self cert anyway.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 20:46

My last firm sacked a few for it too. They made it clear they had approached social media companies asking them to flag up anyone mentioning them in a bad light

I always thought this was a little close to infringing our freedoms to be honest.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 20:50
Yes I get that

I can change my username, I switched it to private and removed my photo so they would have had to have sent my into onto the company before I deleted every post

Nope, easy enough to rollback these days I'm afraid. That's how you see the media printing a Tweet some celeb or MP has deleted after making a pillock of themselves.

As glassgirl says, just don't do it. Think of social media as writing a note in the real world and ask yourself would you post it through someone's door? It's all because people saw themselves as untouchable on the Wild West that was the internet. Those times are changing.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-20, 20:55
Being honest tonight I am very worried that my employer was made aware of my anxiety as I tend to keep it private from the job I hate a fuss so I worry about what they think?

If your old manager did so does your current one. They would have done a handoff that would include the passing of staff records. If the records are digital the new manager would just change you over as thrircstaff so they can view any records e.g. sickness absence, holidays, disciplinary and capability monitoring records, maybe appraisals, etc.

Since you requested a transfer they might have discussed you anyway but bare in mind the transfer was still approved which is a good sign.

All managers do things like this, phil. It's why it's important to decide if to discuss mental health with employers.

phil06
28-03-20, 04:30
I’ve started to develop a lack of sleep as I begin to worry about going back. I have read stories on social media about my work allowing streams of customers and large families in and they are buying cushions and bedding and garden items. I’m also worried about catching the virus off my partner too. She also works in a bargain store but sales are pegging off daily they seem to be making very little cash so not quite sure why they need to stag open? I do seem to worry about anything so perhaps this is my latest worry I dont think my anxiety is any different. I even had worries about the wheelie bin come back.

But yeah we don’t seem to be entering a tougher lockdown so reality is I may have to go back to work? I expect to get much less wages too with being off 5 shifts. It seems supermarkets are restricting customer numbers in and installing screens sadly my work not doing the same. My old manager put up her shop is suffering lots of staff sickness so seems others are not going in too.

All seems poorly handled by the company. But yes I felt fine during the day but as I drifted off to sleep this has been on my sub conscious can anyone offer any tips?

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-20, 05:53
They stay open because they offer essential supplies to people. It's better they are spread out rather than force everyone to go to a smaller number of places. They don't want everyone being forced together as it will cause the virus to spread more.

Look outside of your own situation. You may want them to close so you can stay off but there is a much bigger picture than your role in this.

I was in a large Tesco today. No screens. They were controlling the number of shoppers coming in and spacing the queue outside. It worked well. But it's uncoordinated across the sector so some are doing one thing and another something else. I've not seen screens anywhere. I have seen some stores issue gloves to their staff. Again it's down to the retailer.

I think you need to separate your need to be away from there from the fact the government are happy they stay open.

Pamplemousse
28-03-20, 10:17
I was in a large Tesco today. No screens. They were controlling the number of shoppers coming in and spacing the queue outside. It worked well. But it's uncoordinated across the sector so some are doing one thing and another something else. I've not seen screens anywhere. I have seen some stores issue gloves to their staff. Again it's down to the retailer.

I went to Tesco yesterday and it was very similar, with only alternate self-service tills open to ensure social distancing. Hand sanitiser and wipes for trolley/basket handles at the entrance. There was a long queue, but I was only in it for maybe fifteen minutes? People inside were well-disciplined too; unlike in the butchers where despite only two people being allowed in at any one time, the other customer in there with me had no idea of the concept of "two metres". Maybe I should start carrying a 2m piece of wood with me!

I have to say I found the whole experience very stressful though.

phil06
28-03-20, 11:05
Terry that’s where the government can step in and insist these retailers step in with screens. No good some retailers look after staff more than others.

But yes my old store has very high sick levels she put that on social media my old manager so perhaps others were like me and felt no I can’t go in?

Fishmanpa
28-03-20, 12:14
Look Phil... The reality is we've not faced anything like this. Governments, people and companies are doing the best they can under the circumstances. The bottom line is just do what you feel you have to deal with it. You can't travel so that's off the worry list and at least you're not fixating on bin germs so :shades:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-20, 13:30
Terry that’s where the government can step in and insist these retailers step in with screens. No good some retailers look after staff more than others.

But yes my old store has very high sick levels she put that on social media my old manager so perhaps others were like me and felt no I can’t go in?

I agree, it should have been down from the top anyway. Never leave people to interpret guidance when something is so serious!

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-20, 13:33
I went to Tesco yesterday and it was very similar, with only alternate self-service tills open to ensure social distancing. Hand sanitiser and wipes for trolley/basket handles at the entrance. There was a long queue, but I was only in it for maybe fifteen minutes? People inside were well-disciplined too; unlike in the butchers where despite only two people being allowed in at any one time, the other customer in there with me had no idea of the concept of "two metres". Maybe I should start carrying a 2m piece of wood with me!

I have to say I found the whole experience very stressful though.

I waited about 10-15 minutes to get in and then it was very smooth since there were lots of tills open. It could be very stressful for people like us with it being so different and only highlighting what we are going through. Having a slow crawl to the front entrance chatting and then an empty store felt more relaxed to me compared to the usual rush.
It depends how your anxiety works, I suspect earlier on in my recovery any difference would have been stressful.

It was a strange experience.

I went in a butchers too but luckily it's quiet a big one with two doors and it was empty. The Coop though being so small makes it impossible to apply social distancing down the aisles. They had marked up the floor to the tills though so we could queue further apart.

phil06
28-03-20, 16:40
I hear my work are now doing a queuing system however my partners work is not again it varies store to store but perhaps if I can avoid customers if not many can go in I can do my job safely when I go back at the end of next week?

phil06
28-03-20, 17:10
Look Phil... The reality is we've not faced anything like this. Governments, people and companies are doing the best they can under the circumstances. The bottom line is just do what you feel you have to deal with it. You can't travel so that's off the worry list and at least you're not fixating on bin germs so :shades:

Positive thoughts

I am still suffering anxiety about the wheelie bin that was put in my front garden. The bin contained a plunger so now I am too scared to do the garden weeds and I feel the garden is still tainted or spoiled. The feeling did ease up but past week it’s sort of come back. I have yet to clean the area with bleach though. I did manage to clean the windows allowing the window pole to touch the ground but I still worry. My other bin hit the top of the garden and I am not very worried atall so it’s not the bin that’s the issue. The issue is the plunger. To confirm the plunger wasn’t in the bin when it was in my garden my worry was the bin at some point contained a plunger so the garden is stressing me..

Scass
28-03-20, 17:16
I think your anxiety is very high Phil so now you aren’t worrying about going into work you’ve started on the bin again.
There’s nothing you can do except accept that it’s anxiety and that your bin is fine.
And, your bin has been outside in all weathers, germs will have been killed off by now.

phil06
28-03-20, 17:20
I think your anxiety is very high Phil so now you aren’t worrying about going into work you’ve started on the bin again.
There’s nothing you can do except accept that it’s anxiety and that your bin is fine.
And, your bin has been outside in all weathers, germs will have been killed off by now.

Thanks perhaps you are right. I got the bin replaced anyway as the lid broke so I have had much less anxiety about the bin in general. I am feeling a bit better about maybe going back to work next week with stricter measures. They seem to think social distancing is working and in Scotland we are more spread out not many big cities so cases can be lower. My area has just under 100 cases. Glasgow would be higher due to more people in one place.

phil06
28-03-20, 17:44
Further update from my work some isles were closed off due to the virus non food isles they have now reopened seems they are relaxing things already?

phil06
02-04-20, 20:55
I am back at work tomorrow we are getting a pay rise some shops have closed but sadly mine is staying open. Heard someone body at the co-op got the virus and is ill in hospital this doesn’t make me want to go to work? Customers are going to get close to me?

BlueIris
02-04-20, 20:58
Try not to snog them, okay?

Seriously, though, be proud of yourself for providing such a useful service to others.

phil06
02-04-20, 21:02
Try not to snog them, okay?

Seriously, though, be proud of yourself for providing such a useful service to others.

Some of our stores have closed though so some staff are at home safe. I don’t know about useful service but can anybody cheer me up when I went off last week I worried we would end up like Italy we are not there yet but can anybody reassure me we won’t be in another week?

glassgirlw
02-04-20, 21:14
Some of our stores have closed though so some staff are at home safe. I don’t know about useful service but can anybody cheer me up when I went off last week I worried we would end up like Italy we are not there yet but can anybody reassure me we won’t be in another week?

I truly wish that I could reassure you, and myself, of that. But I just don’t think anyone knows. We just have to keep doing the things that they tell us - hand hygiene, social distancing, etc and know that we’re doing everything we possibly can to help flatten that curve.

phil06
03-04-20, 21:40
So I went back to work today it was ok but customers still never kept social distance. They did say you could tell customers to back off but im not comfortable doing this

glassgirlw
03-04-20, 21:45
So I went back to work today it was ok but customers still never kept social distance. They did say you could tell customers to back off but im not comfortable doing this

phil it’s really important for you to protect yourself too, so if your company has said it’s ok there’s nothing wrong with asking someone to please step back. Or, move back yourself to a comfortable distance. Proud of you for going back!! I know it’s not easy. I’m in the same boat.

Scass
03-04-20, 22:02

You did well Phil.
You can move back yourself it ask them to, ask your management to suggest a polite way of saying it maybe.

phil06
03-04-20, 22:02
phil it’s really important for you to protect yourself too, so if your company has said it’s ok there’s nothing wrong with asking someone to please step back. Or, move back yourself to a comfortable distance. Proud of you for going back!! I know it’s not easy. I’m in the same boat.

They are limiting customers in the store but it’s still busy with families. I noticed the customers refusing to keep social distance with other customers some even brushed by. I had a cage to work some delivery and customers would actually force it out the way to get down the isle with a trolly..

glassgirlw
03-04-20, 23:01
That’s good they’re trying to limit, but it is sad that some are still just so rude. Now more than ever we should be supporting and respecting each other in my opinion.

phil06
04-04-20, 01:18
How much of a risk will I be working at the moment? Is there a high chance of catching it in the shop?

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-20, 04:17
Glad to hear you are coping. It's going to be weird and unsettling so give yourself some time to get used to it.

Yes, certainly tell people to back away from you if you need to. Most people will understand and do what you say.

As far as customers not following store guidelines I would flag it up. That's for the management to sort out.

phil06
04-04-20, 12:04
Thanks. I logged into social media and found somebody I use to work with has COVID-19 symptoms and is coughing very bad she caught it just by going to the supermarket. This shows the risk by going to work they expect me to catch this virus it’s crazy. It could be a silent carrier somebody who doesn’t even have a cough by just walking past a customer I could get ill?

Fishmanpa
04-04-20, 12:11
Thanks. I logged into social media and found somebody I use to work with has COVID-19 symptoms and is coughing very bad she caught it just by going to the supermarket. This shows the risk by going to work they expect me to catch this virus it’s crazy. It could be a silent carrier somebody who doesn’t even have a cough by just walking past a customer I could get ill?

We're finding out more and more each day and yes, the experts have said you could have it, be totally asymptomatic and pass it on. The next person could get severely ill from it. I'm in essential services and I do understand but ultimately, it comes down to you making a decision. Nothing we say can or will solve this for you.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Positive thoughts

phil06
07-04-20, 11:12
I admit it’s very unnerving and worrying about the PM being ill. This and possible global recession are stories in themselves I heard about shops that won’t open again or ones going bust. Also the fact nobody is safe means this virus is very worrying. Within one week you can go down hill. I am not very happy to be returning to work today when it’s not safe?

glassgirlw
07-04-20, 11:19
I understand, Phil. I really don’t want to go to work either. We just have to keep pushing forward and know that we’re personally doing everything we can to keep ourselves as safe as possible. Focus on the things YOU can control (hand washing, don’t touch your face, social distancing) and try not to focus on the things you can’t. I know it’s hard.

phil06
08-04-20, 21:35
Somebody in my partners work has covid-19 symptoms and is off work they have a cough. This shows the risks about working in retail right now

phil06
08-04-20, 22:45
I am feeling a bit anxious about being at work again. We are limiting customers in but due to large families often some isles have upto 10 people in them. Management advice is not to go down busy isles so I have to stand for ages whilst people browse these isles before I can get in to stock up?

Pamplemousse
09-04-20, 10:00
I am feeling a bit anxious about being at work again. We are limiting customers in but due to large families often some isles have upto 10 people in them. Management advice is not to go down busy isles so I have to stand for ages whilst people browse these isles before I can get in to stock up?

Get your management to close the aisle whilst you stock up; saw that going on at my local Tesco last week.

phil06
10-04-20, 14:55
I coughed once or twice today perhaps I have coronavirus already? I have not been out anywhere other than a daily walk so if I get a sore throat it’s due to work I got in touch with lawyers who said I could sue the company if I have evidence I caught the virus at work?

Scass
10-04-20, 15:56
Why on earth would you be contacting lawyers? It’s not your company’s fault that this all happened, and it’s not their fault that they sell essential items. They are supposed to look after their staff, but YOU are the one ultimately in charge of your own health and safety. If you feel something is unsafe then tell your managers.

BlueIris
10-04-20, 17:11
I'm with Scass, it does seem like a petty thing to do.

Elen
10-04-20, 19:24
so if I get a sore throat it’s due to work I got in touch with lawyers who said I could sue the company if I have evidence I caught the virus at work?

You will never be able to prove that. You could catch it from your partner your shopping, a door handle or anything else that either of you have touched. I realise that what I am saying is your worst nightmare in that other people could contaminate your environment but tbh that is what we are all living through. Be careful what you say about your work and sueing them on line. It is a very slippery slope if they find out.

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-20, 21:26
Will you be suing the government for allowing your shop to remain open? How about the chief medical officer who advise them on that and social distancing? You would have to argue they put you in unsafe conditions.

Like Elen says you have no chance of proving that.

Persistent coughing doesn't mean a couple of times. Otherwise persistent sneezing wouldn't be like a cold but twice when some dust got up your nose.

Lolalee1
11-04-20, 05:53
Every man and his dog would be suing if that was the case,I might give it a crack :roflmao:

Carys
11-04-20, 13:12
I would doubt the competency of ANY lawyer who thinks you have any case at all against your employer in this scenario.

MyNameIsTerry
12-04-20, 15:43
The lawyers will be busy will all the police abuse of power cases popping up anyway...