PDA

View Full Version : Contagion film

MrLurcher
27-03-20, 09:02
Has anyone seen this film?

It was on ITV2 last night, a bit suspect timing to put such a film on tv.

It’s basically telling the story of a virus, very similar to the coronavirus, albeit more lethal. So many real life scenario’s being played out in it.

The Spooky bit is that towards the end of the film, it traces the origins of the virus. A bat who lost it’s home due to deforestation take up residence at a pig farm, dropping food into pens, which gets eaten by a pig, which then gets prepared/eaten by humans. And what country is this in? Yep, China.

Weird.

As someone with HA, it probably wasnt the best thing to watch right now, but it was pretty morbidly interesting.

Scass
27-03-20, 09:04
I think it was terrible timing, I didn’t watch it. Is it the one based on the book by Michael Crichton?

Lencoboy
27-03-20, 09:32
Has anyone seen this film?

It was on ITV2 last night, a bit suspect timing to put such a film on tv.

It’s basically telling the story of a virus, very similar to the coronavirus, albeit more lethal. So many real life scenario’s being played out in it.

The Spooky bit is that towards the end of the film, it traces the origins of the virus. A bat who lost it’s home due to deforestation take up residence at a pig farm, dropping food into pens, which gets eaten by a pig, which then gets prepared/eaten by humans. And what country is this in? Yep, China.

Weird.

As someone with HA, it probably wasnt the best thing to watch right now, but it was pretty morbidly interesting.

ITV 2 should hang their heads in shame over this!!

Not only extremely inappropriate at this moment in time, but extremely insensitive, distasteful, and irresponsible!!

At least the BBC had the decency to postpone the airing of an episode of Casualty back in December 1991 with plane crash storylines due to the close proximity of its original intended air date to the (third) anniversary of the Lockerbie tragedy, and instead waited until February 1992 to broadcast said episode, which was an extremely wise move IMO.

MrLurcher
27-03-20, 09:57
Im in two minds about it.

Its of course a bit insensitive regarding the current situation and could cause more panic.

But on the other hand it could help drive the message of the importance of self isolation and good hygiene.

Scass
27-03-20, 10:10
No, it’ll cause anxiety for lots of people. I doubt anyone that watched and enjoyed it would have wondered if they should wash their hands more often.

FrankT
27-03-20, 13:41
Good grief, so they made another movie that accurately predicts the future!

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-20, 14:08
Good grief, so they made another movie that accurately predicts the future!

How many have they made that didn't?

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-20, 14:09
No, it’ll cause anxiety for lots of people. I doubt anyone that watched and enjoyed it would have wondered if they should wash their hands more often.

Yes, a major cobble up by ITV there. They would have cancelled films including terrorism or plane crashes near to one. :doh:

FrankT
27-03-20, 14:27
How many have they made that didn't?

To be fair, they don't come along often.

debs71
27-03-20, 14:48
What stratospheric douche bag sanctioned the showing of a film such as THAT during this horrendous pandemic?

Talk about utterly tasteless, not to mention it will put the fear of God into anyone already freaked out by Covid-19.

Lencoboy
27-03-20, 15:39
What stratospheric douche bag sanctioned the showing of a film such as THAT during this horrendous pandemic?

Talk about utterly tasteless, not to mention it will put the fear of God into anyone already freaked out by Covid-19.

Totally agree with you Debs!!

No doubt the person at ITV 2 who permitted said film's airing yesterday will probably play the 'civil liberties' and 'freedom of expression' cards and also proclaim to have a trade union of some kind to bail them out if challenged!!

Possibly some unscrupulous individual without a proper education and necessary qualifications and also a sense of entitlement to a job who was just appointed the role willy-nilly.
There were one or two staff members at my old (county council-run) day centre with exactly that kind of mentality/attitude.

The mind really boggles!!

debs71
27-03-20, 15:46
Yep, madness Lencoboy.

Times like this require a bit of light relief and to remove us from reality for a bit (at least)

What about a comedy film or something?

Muppets!

ankietyjoe
27-03-20, 16:04

It's not really that spooky. It's long been known that bats harbour multiple viruses that are benign to them, but would be far more dangerous when the species barrier is crossed. It's also relatively common to eat bats in China (although I recall eating wild animals has just been banned there now?).

It's predictive of the future in the same way a fortune teller is. There is an accumulation of very likely scenarios stated, based on probability.

pulisa
27-03-20, 19:38
The endocrinologist I see thought it was an excellent example of how to manage a pandemic....but probably not the best film to have on at the moment..

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-20, 20:50
It was probably scheduled a while back and the numpties forgot to change it.

In our TV book we still had the England match scheduled for tonight. Surely that was cancelled weeks ago? Could be they didn't or could be ITV were slow in updating?

Panicattacka
28-03-20, 03:13
I remember when an episode of Dad's Army was cancelled during the first Gulf War... how times have changed. It's things like this that make me cynical and think people in authority are doubling down on the scare factor, to what end I don't know, but it is reallly starting to piss me off.

Panicattacka
28-03-20, 03:29
I mean, we're extremely sensitive about everything these days, broadcasters too, becoming so PC to not offend anyone, and yet during this major crisis and panicky climate, that film is shown? Do me a favour...:lac:

BlueIris
28-03-20, 04:30
There's always the chance that somebody low down the pecking order had a morbid sense of humour. I can't lie, I'm amused, and it's not as though even us Freeview plebs don't have plenty of other channels to pick from.

SnowyGreen
28-03-20, 05:55
I love that film, seen it a couple of times.