PDA

View Full Version : Boiled a kettle which had water in it from a week ago, legionnaires disease?

Nighttime pacer
31-03-20, 21:06
Hi all,
I know this is probably crazy but I'm so scared.
I was about to boil some water in a kettle which I haven't used for a week. The kettle still had some water in it, I freaked because I know stagnant water can cause legionnaires disease.

The water had previously been boiled so I assume that helps. I boiled the kettle and left the room while it was boiling, I then left it a few minutes and boiled it again.
I then emptied it and refilled it from the tap (whilst holding my breath) using the spout and boiled it twice more.

I then went back in the kitchen and opened the back door to get plenty of air in there. It's been 2 hours now so I feel like I'm safe to go back I there, but I'm still worried. I wonder if there had been any vapour from when it boiled the first time with will still be in the air and could I breathe it in?

On top of this I'm just getting over a very mild version coronavirus!
Thanks all for reading.
Nighttime pacer

Fishmanpa
31-03-20, 21:46
Think about it. What happens when you boil water? How are many things sterilized?

Positive thoughts

Nighttime pacer
31-03-20, 22:02
Thanks for that Fishmanpa. My only concern was about water vapour coming out of the kettle before boiling point. I wasn't in the room though.
My health anxiety really sucks at the moment!

nomorepanic
31-03-20, 23:25
Water sits in my kettle for over a week sometimes and no-one has ever become ill because of it.

I think you are massively overthinking this one

Nighttime pacer
01-04-20, 00:34
Thanks so much for that administrator. I ended up contacting a 24hr doctor online and paying for a quick chat on the phone. The doctor said it’s really really unlikely because the water had boiled, and if I wasn’t there in the room when it boiled it’s even less likely. I’ll try and stop worrying now especially as I’ve got a couple of mild Coronavirus symptoms which are not major and just need to relax, rest and get better. Thanks all x

nomorepanic
01-04-20, 00:38
Who on earth did you pay for a chat when we have free services?

Nighttime pacer
01-04-20, 01:21
Hi Nicola, I paid for a chat because I thought if I talked to someone medically trained it would maybe quieten my anxiety, I think it has helped. Though, obviously with health anxiety there's still a part of my brain saying " ah yes, but what about" but I'm managing to ignore it. Many thanks again fro replying.

Fishmanpa
01-04-20, 11:27
I ended up contacting a 24hr doctor online and paying for a quick chat on the phone. The doctor said it’s really really unlikely because the water had boiled, and if I wasn’t there in the room when it boiled it’s even less likely.

Think about it. What happens when you boil water? How are many things sterilized?

Just saying...

Positive thoughts