PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety related to current climate, dilemma and need advice

Lf93
03-04-20, 16:29
Hi,

I’m not sure where to post be honest, I’m just looking for advice. I live at home with my family. A family member decided to sign up for volunteering, specifically, as far as I understand, the volunteering is related to transporting patients in an ambulance (or that’s what he thinks it is). He is going for an interview tomorrow and wants to do this to get some extra career experience.

The thing for me is, if he lived by himself I would feel worried but understand that I cannot make his decision, but he lives with all of us and under these guidelines technically all of us living with him are classed as higher risk. My mum is 61 and prone to chest infections and always has a chronic cough, my dad is 57 and has had multiple surgeries for hyperthyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, is considered immunocompromised, has asthma and has b12 deficiency, long story short they aren’t really healthy, and then there’s me who has chronic mild asthma which hasn’t been too bad over the past few years but I’ve currently been experiencing a nasty flare over the past few weeks because of this dry air.

I tried explaining to my parents that he could bring it here and one of them seems to think I’m controlling. Is it me? I wouldn’t even think of approaching it with the volunteering family member because he will take it personally. There are many cases in our town and to be honest I’m living in absolute despair and fear at this prospect of him bringing it to our parents...I feel like I’m counting down the days and it’s not doing me any good mentally. Am I being over dramatic? Surely if you live particularly with older people there is a safer way to volunteer than to transport potentially contagious patients right? Am I being too strict or is he lacking common sense?

Im sorry if this seems like a rant I’m just feeling super exhausted and emotional with this situation.

Thank you

nomorepanic
03-04-20, 16:41
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Gary A
03-04-20, 17:30
I wouldn’t imagine volunteers would be directly confronted with Covid-19 patients to be honest. If they are, especially in a setting such as an ambulance, then they’d have very heavy PPE and sanitisation rules to comply with.

As far as I’m aware NHS volunteers are mostly contributing to other patients who may have to take a back seat while Covid-19 patients are tended to.

It may be worth finding out exactly what this volunteering work entails first and then approach this person with your concerns.

Call me Edwin
03-04-20, 19:43
He is going for an interview tomorrow and wants to do this to get some extra career experience.

I imagine he will be asked about his domestic circumstances at the interview, and if they deem your family to be at serious risk they will deploy him to a safer job. One thing we don't have a shortage of is volunteers, fortunately.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-20, 20:09
I imagine he will be asked about his domestic circumstances at the interview, and if they deem your family to be at serious risk they will deploy him to a safer job. One thing we don't have a shortage of is volunteers, fortunately.

Yes, I would have thought so too I would suggest reading the criteria because it mentions those st greater risk can still volunteer but for phone work only.