PDA

View Full Version : Can’t rationalise my thoughts - help?

fizzymoon86
04-04-20, 22:06
So I’m having trouble rationalising my thoughts at the moment and I’m having quite a lot of panic attacks and feel highly anxious a lot of the time.

I’m almost 28 weeks pregnant so that puts me automatically in the vulnerable category for the coronavirus. As soon as that was announced my anxiety levels dramatically increased. I know that doesn’t mean that if I get it I’ll definitely have it severely, it means that they don’t know the effect it will have on me or my baby.

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to work from home for the last 3 weeks and I haven’t left the house in over 2 weeks. This week I developed a sore/scratchy throat/chest and an intermittent cough. I’ve been crying every night scared to go to sleep in case I wake up feeling ill and unable to breathe. I don’t have a fever, my temp is staying steady between 36.8 and 37.3 (I know pregnancy raises my temp anyway) and I check it every morning and night.

I can’t seem to rationalise that there is a chance that what I’m experiencing is quite possibly just a normal cough and not necessarily the virus, and if it is the virus that my chances of severity and needing ventilation are relatively low. There are young healthy people dying and what makes me so special that I’d be exempt from that? I’m protective of myself and my baby and I’m scared I won’t live to be a mum.

WiseMonkey
05-04-20, 01:29
So I’m having trouble rationalising my thoughts at the moment and I’m having quite a lot of panic attacks and feel highly anxious a lot of the time.

I’m almost 28 weeks pregnant so that puts me automatically in the vulnerable category for the coronavirus. As soon as that was announced my anxiety levels dramatically increased. I know that doesn’t mean that if I get it I’ll definitely have it severely, it means that they don’t know the effect it will have on me or my baby.

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to work from home for the last 3 weeks and I haven’t left the house in over 2 weeks. This week I developed a sore/scratchy throat/chest and an intermittent cough. I’ve been crying every night scared to go to sleep in case I wake up feeling ill and unable to breathe. I don’t have a fever, my temp is staying steady between 36.8 and 37.3 (I know pregnancy raises my temp anyway) and I check it every morning and night.

I can’t seem to rationalise that there is a chance that what I’m experiencing is quite possibly just a normal cough and not necessarily the virus, and if it is the virus that my chances of severity and needing ventilation are relatively low. There are young healthy people dying and what makes me so special that I’d be exempt from that? I’m protective of myself and my baby and I’m scared I won’t live to be a mum.

Hi my daughter (35) is in the same predicament, she's 25 weeks pregnant. She's working from home and her partner collects the foodstuff via the click n collect method. My daughter is also aware of her added vulnerability but she is doing all the right things to keep safe. I don't think you can do anything more than you are doing now. What you are feeling are the normal effects of being pregnant. My daughter is having some bad nights due to baby's movement more than her covid fears.
If you stay isolated and are with others that also do this, then you will be fine.

It read that Boris's pregnant g/friend has got it too and she's fine now.

I think the key is to distract your mind off the covid worries and focus on how wonderful it will be when your baby arrives. Have you got a partner to help you during this time? Can you do some knitting? I've knitted a bassinet blanket for my unborn grandchild. My daughter and her partner aren't finding out the sex of their baby, they're opting for a surprise when it's born :) Take care x

Scass
05-04-20, 06:31
There seem to be so many people who have sore throats at the moment. I think it’s from spending so much time inside as well as spring allergies. We don’t even notice these things normally, but suddenly every cough is analysed.

It sounds like if you did have it that it’s very mild. Just take care of yourself like you would if you had a normal cold. Paracetamol is safe in pregnancy. Or check with your midwife if you feel the need.

Pregnancy heightened my anxiety. I used to listen to a great relaxing meditation app twice a day, especially before bed time and it really helped.

swgrl09
05-04-20, 18:41
Hi there, I cannot imagine how you must be feeling right now. I would be anxious too! Like the previous poster said, take care of yourself like a regular cold/virus. Worrying won’t change the fact that you have some type of bug, it will just make you feel worse in the moment. Get some rest, drink fluids, and you will feel better soon.

fizzymoon86
21-04-20, 16:53
I just thought I would add to my previous post rather than start a new one.

So since I last posted I’ve seen an improvement, my throat symptoms didn’t get any worse and I didn’t develop a fever - hooray right?

Well because I’m pregnant I’ve had obviously attend some antenatal appointments which means going to the hospital. Luckily the antenatal clinic is completely separate from the main hospital but it’s still scary to have to go there.

Today I had a growth scan because when I saw the midwife my bubba was measuring a little small. So I turned up today, had my scan and I was feeling really proud of myself when I was sat waiting for my notes to be updated and returned to me. She came to me and just before she sat down, she coughed into her mask. Shit. Then she sat down and she did another little cough. Double shit.

So now I’m panicking that the cough particles have exited her mask out of the sides and infected me so really it’s inevitable now that I’m going to become ill over the next couple of weeks and potentially not live to see my baby.

Goddamit I was doing so well!! 😭

Gary A
21-04-20, 18:27
You’re allowing your fear to connect dots that barely exist here. I understand your concerns but how likely is it that;

A) The midwife had COVID-19 in the first place?
B) That a small cough made it through a medically certified protection mask?
C) That you’ll contract COVID-19 due to this?
D) That you’ll die due to COVID-19?

The odds on all of that coming together are ridiculously low.

To add a little reassurance, I know a woman who tested positive for COVID-19 at 6 months pregnant. She suffered very mild symptoms and is now completely recovered. Both her and her unborn child are completely fine.

Try to relax, I know it’s a tough time to be pregnant right now but excess stress will do more damage than a disease that you 99% don’t have.

fizzymoon86
21-04-20, 19:51
You’re allowing your fear to connect dots that barely exist here. I understand your concerns but how likely is it that;

A) The midwife had COVID-19 in the first place?
B) That a small cough made it through a medically certified protection mask?
C) That you’ll contract COVID-19 due to this?
D) That you’ll die due to COVID-19?

The odds on all of that coming together are ridiculously low.

To add a little reassurance, I know a woman who tested positive for COVID-19 at 6 months pregnant. She suffered very mild symptoms and is now completely recovered. Both her and her unborn child are completely fine.

Try to relax, I know it’s a tough time to be pregnant right now but excess stress will do more damage than a disease that you 99% don’t have.

You are quite right and I completely understand your points, I’ve been trying to tell myself exactly this ever since this morning. My OH is losing his mind with my constant worrying but I can’t help it.

Sometimes I just can’t shake the feeling that catching it means dying. It doesn’t help that I had an horrific nightmare about losing my baby last night and woke up sobbing my heart out so I’m already emotionally fragile so I’m letting the anxiety get the better of me right now.

I will try to relax and not worry. I’ve had a scratchy throat for near on four weeks now and four weeks ago I was convinced I had it. Rationalising really isn’t my strong point sometimes.