PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus and Asthma (hayfever)

PiaR
06-04-20, 15:48
Hi all,

Very quick question - wondering if anyone could give me a bit of insight or if anyone has any experience of asthma with hayfever.

In 2018 I had quite bad hayfever symptoms and I was given an blue inhaler to relieve my symptoms. I was quite wheezy and breathless. I used it for about a week and then the symptoms disappeared.

Since then I haven’t had to use an inhaler but I’m not wondering if this classes me as an asthmatic? I Know people with asthma are more at risk of complications with coronavirus so just wondering if anyone has experience with asthma.

Thank you!

ankietyjoe
06-04-20, 16:12
Who gave you the inhaler? Hayfever alone can cause significant breathing issues if you're full of mucus.

PiaR
06-04-20, 16:34
At the time time inhaler was given to me by a GP. She has since left but she never confirmed if it was because I’m asthmatic or just to help with symptoms at the time. If that makes sense...

ankietyjoe
06-04-20, 16:50
Yes I think that's what you need to try and figure out. I'm no asthma expert, but it seems odd that asthma would be SO seasonal.

I think for now it would be best to assume you're still high risk (although you may well not be!) until you can get confirmation from a GP.

nomorepanic
06-04-20, 17:16
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

PiaR
06-04-20, 18:01
Thank you ankietyjoe - Really appreciate your advice. Yes I find it odd too. Back when I was given the inhaler I was really bad and had to use the inhaler for a couple weeks. Since then nothing, haven’t need to use it at all. I will call my GP tomorrow and find out. Thanks! :)

Midnight-mouse
06-04-20, 18:36
My asthma is much worse when my allergies kick in, but allergies also make my husbands breathing much worse too and he’s definitely not asthmatic, often inhalers can be prescribed just to aid in current symptoms. I would get clarification but I wouldn’t assume it means you are asthmatic at all.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PiaR
06-04-20, 20:21
Hi Midnight-mouse, thank you so much for your reply and giving me a bit more clarification. That’s what I was unsure about but it’s good to know that an inhaler could just be given to aid with hayfever symptoms. Thank you! I will double check with my GP tomorrow. Issue is because I haven’t had to use them in so long that my inhaler is probably out of date, so given the situation with this virus - wanted to make sure. Thank you though! :)

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-20, 21:22
It's as Mouse says. I've know a couple of people who are prescribed Reliever (The blue one most know of) to help them breath due to other conditions.

If you had asthma you would likely be on a Preventer which keeps asthma in check. The Reliever is to rapidly open the airways when you are having problems breathing.

Check with your GP but it's very unlikely. They would have tested you for asthma to confirm it e.g. spirometry test.

PiaR
06-04-20, 23:43
MyNameIsTerry, thank you! Yes she did give me the blue inhaler to help at the time as I was wheezing due to the pollen. No other tests were done nor was I given any other inhalers.

Thank you for your input though - what you say, makes sense.

debs71
07-04-20, 01:01
My Mum and I are both diagnosed asthmatics (both diagnosed in childhood) and use inhalers (I only really need the blue Salbutamol inhaler these days) but my Dad, who is definitely not asthmatic, was prescribed a blue inhaler as he suffers from pretty bad hayfever and his breathing gets affected, so no, an inhaler doesn't necessarily mean you are asthmatic, not unless you are formally diagnosed.

It just helps open the airways when the hayfever is doing it's worst.

PiaR
07-04-20, 20:34
Hi debs71 - thank you so much! Yeah that makes sense and that’s what I was thinking as my doctor never mentioned me being asthmatic. So I was quite confused. I’ve been able to get another prescription just in case my hayfever gets really bad like it did in 2018.