PDA

View Full Version : Name something good that happened to you today - lock down edition

GingerFish
07-04-20, 17:20
Some days are easier than others during this lock down and with all we hear on the news and missing our loved ones and our normal routines, it can be hard to find a positive sometimes.

But each day has something good in it, however small https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/5e7b32dda0cdb/forum/images/smilies/smile.png so what has cheered you up today? Maybe you discovered a new TV show, video called a friend etc. Can be anything, big or small https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/5e7b32dda0cdb/forum/images/smilies/h.gif

Take care everyone https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/hugs.gif

For me, today it would be that I found some candles I forgot I had while tidying up and unboxing stuff from moving recently

nomorepanic
07-04-20, 17:32
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Fishmanpa
07-04-20, 17:48
I'm in essential services so I'm still working. That said, several business locations in my area have temporarily shut down and the staff redistributed resulting in flex schedules. So I'm off until next week (paid thankfully) and even with reduced hours, I'll be compensated.

So.... Cut the lawn, weeded, trimmed etc. and prepped our raised garden bed for planting. We usually grow some veggies and herbs :) Also got to do some general maintenance on our SUV and give her a good bath. Otherwise, inside with the cat curled up in my lap chillin', learning some new songs (all my gigs are toast until further notice... might as well take the time to re-vamp my show ;)). My wife is working on her crafts. What else can you do really?

Heck, the govt. said to not even shop for the next two weeks so we're stocked ;)

Oh yeah... Even with the seriousness of the situation, a good laugh is always welcome. Been watching funny videos and shows. Have you checked out some of the Corona Song Parodies that have come out? Some of them are brilliant! Especially this guy.....

My Corona (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrtwXqqc6g) - (parody of "My Sharona")

Positive thoughts and Hello? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5azNpTwVk8) and Thank You (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGKFVMgjrPc)

ErinKC
07-04-20, 20:08
This morning I let my 5 year old mostly make our scrambled eggs by herself (with me supervising) and she was SO thrilled about it. She couldn't stop going on and on about how she had made the breakfast. She's been having a tough time, too, with my husband and I so busy trying to work from home, and it was just a really lovely moment.

Some other things that have happened in the past few days:

- I found out I got the highest grade in one of my law school classes on our midterm that we took before the virus. I got a 99/100 and my professor said it was superb. I haven't felt like much of a winner trying to juggle work, school, and taking care of my daughter so it was such a boost to my mood and confidence! It doesn't even matter because the school switched to pass/fail for this semester, but I felt very proud.

- I found The Nanny available to watch online! It was one of my all time favorite shows back in the 90s. I'm guessing only Americans will know this show, but it's been such a joy to watch again.

glassgirlw
07-04-20, 21:52
OMG Fran Drescher :roflmao:Probably one of the few that I cannot watch due to her laugh. LOL. But I do agree that it’s a great feeling when you find a show that reminds you of a really happy time in life - I was that way with Gilmore Girls haha.

Also - AMAZING job on your midterm!!!! That’s so awesome!!! You should feel super proud!

Midnight-mouse
07-04-20, 22:47
I got a commission booked in for the next week, and I’ve spent the day drawing and playing animal crossing after a lovely lazy morning in bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyx.78
07-04-20, 23:15

ErinKC
07-04-20, 23:19
OMG Fran Drescher :roflmao:Probably one of the few that I cannot watch due to her laugh. LOL. But I do agree that it’s a great feeling when you find a show that reminds you of a really happy time in life - I was that way with Gilmore Girls haha.

Also - AMAZING job on your midterm!!!! That’s so awesome!!! You should feel super proud!

Thank you!

And yes, Fran Drescher is definitely someone you either love or cannot handle! I've always been a big re-watcher for the nostalgia and this one is just twice as good since it's been so so long. I'm also going to start another re-watch of Lost and maybe The West Wing.

Panicattacka
08-04-20, 02:10
Went for a walk in some woods near my house and saw lots of snowdrops and bluebells had come out and carpeted large swathes of the ground. There were a variety of birds tweeting and I even saw a wild deer sprinting off in the distance. I just love how nature continues to do its thing whatever mankind's woes are. The poet Wordsworth knew a thing or two in that regard.

WiseMonkey
08-04-20, 04:15
Went for a walk in some woods near my house and saw lots of snowdrops and bluebells had come out and carpeted large swathes of the ground. There were a variety of birds tweeting and I even saw a wild deer sprinting off in the distance. I just love how nature continues to do its thing whatever mankind's woes are. The poet Wordsworth knew a thing or two in that regard.

Sounds beautiful, you should write some poetry of your own :)

*I re-learned how to do a crochet square (haven't done this for over 30 years) and may make a blanket.

*Watched our daily state of the nation speech from our PM and the Director General of Health report that our covid cases are the lowest they've been in 2 weeks, although more testing has been done. This is very encouraging for us here in NZ :)

*Made some delicious salmon cakes for dinner :yesyes:

BlueIris
08-04-20, 04:57
Made this yesterday:

WiseMonkey
08-04-20, 06:18
Made this yesterday:

Wow! That is so beautiful, you are so clever with a great eye for detail ... I can see an online business in the making (if you don't have one already) :yesyes:

BlueIris
08-04-20, 06:35
Thank you! Unfortunately I prefer making to selling, but my dream would be to teach this stuff :)

Panicattacka
08-04-20, 07:07
Sounds beautiful, you should write some poetry of your own :)

*I re-learned how to do a crochet square (haven't done this for over 30 years) and may make a blanket.

*Watched our daily state of the nation speech from our PM and the Director General of Health report that our covid cases are the lowest they've been in 2 weeks, although more testing has been done. This is very encouraging for us here in NZ :)

*Made some delicious salmon cakes for dinner :yesyes:

Thank you, but my own attempts at poetry lead to doggerel. I'm content to read the work of the past masters!

Yes, I would say Taiwan and NZ seem to be the 2 countries that have best handled this pandemic so far. I think both countries took the threat seriously early on, secured their borders properly, carried out high level tracing and quarantining, and then ordered full lockdowns. If only the governments of other countries had shown such coordinated and calculated care for their populations. Instead, they thought they could still have their globalist "free trade, free movement of people, open borders!" cake and eat it. Unfortunately, now we see the terrible consequences of that.

DL45
08-04-20, 07:56
I felt well enough to sit out in the warm sunshine for an hour and read my kindle, and to take my dog on a short walk, only 15 mins.

All my worries floated away for that time.

Couple of hours later that damn truck arrived and ran over me again and I was in bed before 8pm feeling totally floored.

WiseMonkey
08-04-20, 08:08
Thank you, but my own attempts at poetry lead to doggerel. I'm content to read the work of the past masters!

Yes, I would say Taiwan and NZ seem to be the 2 countries that have best handled this pandemic so far. I think both countries took the threat seriously early on, secured their borders properly, carried out high level tracing and quarantining, and then ordered full lockdowns. If only the governments of other countries had shown such coordinated and calculated care for their populations. Instead, they thought they could still have their globalist "free trade, free movement of people, open borders!" cake and eat it. Unfortunately, now we see the terrible consequences of that.

Both countries have strong progressive women leaders, although I believe Taiwan was dealing with a second wave of the virus (not too sure here)?

New Zealand is fortunate to be a relatively isolated country (way down here in the Pacific) so it took longer for covid to arrive, we also have a small population of only 4.8 million. The govt. could see what was coming and decided to act hard and fast, even before our neighbour Australia, whose PM messed around and gave mixed messages. Our PM's are in constant contact so I really thought they would lockdown the same time as NZ but it didn't happen :(

Panicattacka
08-04-20, 08:27
The govt. could see what was coming and decided to act hard and fast, even before our neighbour Australia, whose PM messed around and gave mixed messages. Our PM's are in constant contact so I really thought they would lockdown the same time as NZ but it didn't happen :(

Yeah, "Scotty from Marketing" hasn't exactly covered himself in glory so far. I too was surprised when Australia didn't do a synchronized lockdown with you guys. I suspect someone was putting short term profits before people...

GingerFish
08-04-20, 15:55
Got a decent sleep for the first time in about a week :yesyes:

ankietyjoe
08-04-20, 17:00
Branston Baked Beans are now ring pull.

Fvcking game changer.

glassgirlw
08-04-20, 18:16
I get unreasonably excited when I find ring pull cans :roflmao:

Scass
08-04-20, 18:23
It’s roast dinner night [emoji846]

ankietyjoe
08-04-20, 18:34
I get unreasonably excited when I find ring pull cans :roflmao:

I got the can opener out and everything. Because it used to need it.

It's like the Universe giving something back....

Lencoboy
08-04-20, 19:00
Today, me and my dad managed to make the larger of our two garden sheds 75% clear of junk that had accumulated over the past 15 years or so!!

We did the smaller one in mid-March, just prior to the lockdown.

dorabella
08-04-20, 21:00
Another day done and I haven't gone insane yet !!

Panicattacka
09-04-20, 01:35
Another day done and I haven't gone insane yet !!

It's always nice to be able to say that at bedtime!

GingerFish
10-04-20, 13:55
It is my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary today https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/love.gif as much as its breaking my heart that I can't see them today on such a big milestone, the main thing is they can spend it together. We will celebrate as a family when all this is over :)

Fishmanpa
10-04-20, 15:29
Strites Donuts! OMG! :emot-yum:

Positive thoughts

ayesha23
10-04-20, 16:08
I ordered a replacement copy of a cd that got lost ages ago

Phill2
11-04-20, 02:51
My neighbour FINALLY turned his noisy lawn mower off!

WiseMonkey
11-04-20, 04:36
We got our produce delivery today but minus the frozen chicken! Oh well no roast tomorrow but nachos (home made) will suffice :)

Lolalee1
11-04-20, 06:15
Found more asswipe now that is good:yesyes:

WiseMonkey
11-04-20, 06:34
Found more asswipe now that is good:yesyes:

As well as the frozen chicken, the loo rolls were missing! Good job we have a wee stash :)

Phill2
11-04-20, 07:28
Great news :shades:

GingerFish
11-04-20, 14:47
I found some new aviation themed Youtube channels that I hadn't heard of before and binge watched them all morning :)

fishman65
11-04-20, 19:14
I bought myself a brand new mountain bike :D

WiseMonkey
11-04-20, 22:31
I bought myself a brand new mountain bike :D

Online purchase I presume :D

Fishmanpa
11-04-20, 23:12
Ok... something good... REALLY good! There's a guy who opened a seafood place here in town in a small gas station/convenience shop. The place has blown up with nothing but rave reviews. Having grown up in NJ, an hour from the beaches, I'm used to good seafood and this stuff doesn't disappoint. It reminds me of the little Mom and Pop shops along the beach that served up fresh seafood and all the homemade fixings.

It was take out night and I ordered the "Jerrz Po Boy" (https://www.facebook.com/talkofthemountainseafood/videos/2580057392012839/).... Barely got through half of it!

Positive thoughts and Mmmmm!

GingerFish
12-04-20, 02:05
Managed to get a Tesco delivery slot :)

Lolalee1
12-04-20, 02:06
I slept in till 9.30am:yesyes:

WiseMonkey
12-04-20, 02:49
Ok... something good... REALLY good! There's a guy who opened a seafood place here in town in a small gas station/convenience shop. The place has blown up with nothing but rave reviews. Having grown up in NJ, an hour from the beaches, I'm used to good seafood and this stuff doesn't disappoint. It reminds me of the little Mom and Pop shops along the beach that served up fresh seafood and all the homemade fixings.

It was take out night and I ordered the "Jerrz Po Boy" (https://www.facebook.com/talkofthemountainseafood/videos/2580057392012839/).... Barely got through half of it!

I would question why this shop is open for anything other than to provide gas and essential produce (other than cooked food) if you are in lockdown. I'm aware that not all US states are observing this or social distancing of 2 metres!

Glad you enjoyed your take out though :)

WiseMonkey
12-04-20, 02:53
I slept in till 9.30am:yesyes:

Haha! was that because the noisy party over the road kept you awake the night before?!!

As we had no hot-cross buns, I made a gluten free, chocolate cake from scratch ... first attempt and pretty good result :D

pulisa
12-04-20, 08:13

All FODMAP-approved ingredients, I presume?:D

pulisa
12-04-20, 08:14
Haha! was that because the noisy party over the road kept you awake the night before?!!

As we had no hot-cross buns, I made a gluten free, chocolate cake from scratch ... first attempt and pretty good result :D

That sounds like a pretty good substitute, WM! I hope you have had a good Easter Day! x

Lolalee1
12-04-20, 10:22
Hi WM:D
The cops hit that shindig on the head thank god the music was terrible :roflmao:
I counted 22 people and 5 kids leaving the premises :mad:
Good on you making a cake from scratch my cooking skills stop at Muffins :D

Fishmanpa
12-04-20, 12:07
All FODMAP-approved ingredients, I presume?:D

Hell no! ~lol~ A swig of Mylanta as an appetizer and with the exception of a couple of 'tasty' burps, all was well ;) Worth it! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
12-04-20, 14:33

Where'd you grow up, Fishmanpa? I grew up in Morris County but we went to LBI every year and now my parents live near Belmar. I cannot wait for this to pass so we can get back to the Jersey Shore! (I live in Baltimore now).

ErinKC
12-04-20, 14:35
Today my little girl lost her first tooth while biting into a Cadbury Mini Egg, the best candy on Earth. The best part is that I actually found a dollar bill in the house so the tooth fairy won't disappoint tonight!

Fishmanpa
12-04-20, 15:07
Where'd you grow up, Fishmanpa? I grew up in Morris County but we went to LBI every year and now my parents live near Belmar. I cannot wait for this to pass so we can get back to the Jersey Shore! (I live in Baltimore now).

I grew up in Cherry Hill, NJ. LBI was my "shore" hangout growing up. Beach Haven to be precise. It's been 15 years since I've been to the beach. Like you, when this is all over, I'd like to take an actual vacation and I'm thinking an airbnb on LBI would be glorious :)

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
12-04-20, 18:18
I grew up in Cherry Hill, NJ. LBI was my "shore" hangout growing up. Beach Haven to be precise. It's been 15 years since I've been to the beach. Like you, when this is all over, I'd like to take an actual vacation and I'm thinking an airbnb on LBI would be glorious :)

Positive thoughts

We did Beach Haven, too! We hadn't gone in years and years until last summer when we rented a house with my parents, bother, and nephew. It was so great to be back and bring my little girl to Fantasy Island!

fishman65
12-04-20, 18:49
Online purchase I presume :DIt was WiseMonkey, though 'click and collect'. My daughter paid with my bank card and the card thingy was outside on the wall?!

Fishmanpa
12-04-20, 19:09
We did Beach Haven, too! We hadn't gone in years and years until last summer when we rented a house with my parents, bother, and nephew. It was so great to be back and bring my little girl to Fantasy Island!

I do have to get back. I was playing music full time from the 80's through to the mid-90's and played many venues in a duo along the Jersey "Shore". Heck, a few of the guys from that era are still doing it! Music that is :whistles:

I remember being in my late teens, vacationing with the family and heading out with my guitar at sundown. They would have parties every couple of blocks along the beach. A big fire with a bunch of folks around it partying. I would stop and play a few songs in exchange for a drink or something else :shades: :winks: I would start at sundown and stagger back in the wee hours of the morning after partying all night. I used to surf fish along the beach (and Island Beach State Park) as well as the inlet on the northern tip. Great times :)

Positive thoughts

GingerFish
13-04-20, 15:56
After two huge panic attacks today, worst I've had in ages let alone the worst in lock down, I finally left the house after 3 weeks and went for a walk round the block. Callan offered to go with me but after how bad those panics were earlier, I was determined to go myself and since I've been scared about going out during all of this. I just went round the block twice so about a 15 min walk but it was good to feel the fresh air and sunlight on my skin for a bit and everyone I met stuck well to the rules too so one less thing to worry about :)

Phoenixess
13-04-20, 19:55
I wrote 1/4 parts of my data analysis for my dissertation 3/4 to go and a conclusion then I have completed my degree!
I will do this!!!!

Lolalee1
14-04-20, 05:12
I got a kilo of prawns dropped off this morning fresh off the trawler already made a pig out of myself Arr the joy of something so trivial that there are kind hearted people near my lonely self.

WiseMonkey
14-04-20, 08:42
I got a kilo of prawns dropped off this morning fresh off the trawler already made a pig out of myself Arr the joy of something so trivial that there are kind hearted people near my lonely self.

Aw yum, love prawns lucky you :)

I baked some gluten free vanilla and almond meal biscuits, melt in your mouth :)

Lolalee1
14-04-20, 10:25
When all this settles I will have to come over there and try some of your gluten free cakes and biccy’s
I will make you my coconut crumbed prawn cutlets.I love going to Queenstown and The Bay of Islands.

WiseMonkey
14-04-20, 10:38
When all this settles I will have to come over there and try some of your gluten free cakes and biccy’s
I will make you my coconut crumbed prawn cutlets.I love going to Queenstown and The Bay of Islands.

Sounds like a plan Stan, I haven't had coconut crumbed ones. We live in Auckland and were on a ten day holiday in Kerikeri (near Bay of Islands) when Jacinda put us in Level 2 so we only has 3 days up there then had to go home! Queenstown is lovely and I think it will get a dusting of snow tonight as the temperature has taken a dive down! Even up here it's cold 15 oC at present ...brrr

.Poppy.
14-04-20, 19:15
Today is my dog's birthday! He's six. I ordered Chinese food (sweet and sour chicken) and shared a bit of the plain chicken and egg roll with him.

It's sunny out and I'm getting some stuff done early so I can go settle in with Netflix and The Sims. Not a bad day even though I have a cough that still won't go away.

GingerFish
14-04-20, 19:15
My anxiety was a lot better today than it was yesterday. Also got about 9 hours sleep which was more than welcome after zero sleep the night before. I am still not feeling 100% but about 70% better than I was yesterday so its a great start :)

Phoenixess
14-04-20, 22:33
Ate dominoes (heated it in the oven to be super sure no germs) it tasted better post second baking in the oven followed by cookie dough Ben and Jerry’s !!!

Lencoboy
15-04-20, 14:52
Not specifically related to anything I have been doing as such, but I did read the other day that there has been a dramatic drop in the overall crime rate here in the UK since we first went into lockdown on 23rd March. Same also for many other countries, including the USA.

WiseMonkey
16-04-20, 03:49
To relieve the boredom of Level 4 lockdown, I cleaned my oven ... forget the mask, it was 'full on triple-folded towel over face' as I applied the toxic foam over the layers of baked on gunk!! Lesson learned here, clean the oven more often and don't believe your partner when he says 'I've wiped the oven down' at the end of every week :doh:
The kitchen floor is next :whistles:

GingerFish
16-04-20, 14:17
I woke up to some funny Snapchat's from friends that cheered me up https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/5e96c8eead2c6/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

GingerFish
19-04-20, 19:57
Managed to cuddle into my husband's back last night for the first time in a week :) my back has been hurting too much the last week or so, so I've only been able to sleep certain ways and not been able to cuddle into him like I usually do. Also managed to get about 8 hours sleep after only getting about 3/4 hours each day for the last 5 days :)

ErinKC
19-04-20, 20:50
After a total comedy of errors in which my dishwasher broke and my cat spilled a liter of water on my laptop and killed it, my husband bought me a new computer for my birthday and we decided to get an inexpensive computer for our 6 year old who now has to do a lot of school work on a computer and do video meetings with her classmates twice a week (so she wouldn't be getting her sticky fingers on my brand new laptop). I was really sad about my old computer because I'm a writer and it was like my third arm, but my daughter has been so adorable with her computer. She thinks she is just THE coolest with her own laptop. As soon as she got it she immediately put on her grown up voice and was all, "I'm going to Google things!" But then once I showed her how to Google the first things she looked up were pictures of ice cream and balloons. :roflmao: It was the sweetest, purest thing and just melted my heart.

Scass
20-04-20, 06:10
After a total comedy of errors in which my dishwasher broke and my cat spilled a liter of water on my laptop and killed it, my husband bought me a new computer for my birthday and we decided to get an inexpensive computer for our 6 year old who now has to do a lot of school work on a computer and do video meetings with her classmates twice a week (so she wouldn't be getting her sticky fingers on my brand new laptop). I was really sad about my old computer because I'm a writer and it was like my third arm, but my daughter has been so adorable with her computer. She thinks she is just THE coolest with her own laptop. As soon as she got it she immediately put on her grown up voice and was all, "I'm going to Google things!" But then once I showed her how to Google the first things she looked up were pictures of ice cream and balloons. :roflmao: It was the sweetest, purest thing and just melted my heart.

Awww!!

Sorry about all the broken things though!

WiseMonkey
20-04-20, 06:54
Managed to cuddle into my husband's back last night for the first time in a week :) my back has been hurting too much the last week or so, so I've only been able to sleep certain ways and not been able to cuddle into him like I usually do. Also managed to get about 8 hours sleep after only getting about 3/4 hours each day for the last 5 days :)

Aw, that is something really good you did :hugs:I made a gluten free feijoa and date loaf, then cleaned the kitchen and bathroom floors :noangel:

ErinKC
21-04-20, 00:11
Awww!!

Sorry about all the broken things though!

Thanks! The dishwasher is my nightmare because we had a broken one for years and finally got it fixed like 2 years ago and I HATE doing dishes. But, I think we may have figured out the problem and should be able to fix it ourselves since we don't want to bring someone in. I was really sad about my computer because I'm a writer and it was like my third arm. But, I can't whine about getting a brand new one I suppose!

pulisa
21-04-20, 08:31
I've got an ancient laptop and dread when it finally gives up the ghost so I can certainly understand your attachment to your old one, Erin!

I'm the dishwasher in my family and have the hands to prove it! I just hope that the washing machine and fridge don't play up now because my daughter won't be allowing anyone to come into the house to do a repair...

I haven't had any good things happening to me recently but I think this is a great thread and it does counteract all the doom and gloom currently doing the rounds..

Wishing everyone a good day!

Scass
21-04-20, 08:39
Being without a dishwasher is very hard work!
So far a good thing that’s happened is that I’ve discovered a whole new book series to read on my kindle. I’ve just downloaded the first one! I’m finding it hard to concentrate on reading lately, so I hope this helps.

pulisa
21-04-20, 08:49
I'm struggling with reading too, Scass. I normally find it great escapism though. I hope you get some respite with your first book in the series although I prefer old fashioned paperback books, dinosaur that I am! x

Scass
21-04-20, 14:20
I used to prefer them too, but having a baby changed that - I could read a normal book and hold her safely/turn pages without a light on!

I re-read a favourite series recently which helped get my concentration back a bit.

BlueIris
21-04-20, 15:12
I have a friend and colleague who lives close by, and a very nice park even closer. Today I went for a socially distanced walk with my colleague, her five-year-old and their dog, who I was allowed to borrow for the duration of the walk.

I've still got stuff going on, but my head's feeling clear again for the first time in about a week.

ErinKC
22-04-20, 00:07
I've got an ancient laptop and dread when it finally gives up the ghost so I can certainly understand your attachment to your old one, Erin!

I'm the dishwasher in my family and have the hands to prove it! I just hope that the washing machine and fridge don't play up now because my daughter won't be allowing anyone to come into the house to do a repair...

I haven't had any good things happening to me recently but I think this is a great thread and it does counteract all the doom and gloom currently doing the rounds..

Wishing everyone a good day!

My hand are absolutely destroyed for just a few days of it! Our dishwasher didn't work for the first year we lived in this house. Finally we bought a new one and it still didn't work. We brought two people out who couldn't figure it out! It just wouldn't drain and it left the dishes all grimy. Another year later a friend mentioned her dad repairs appliances. He came by, took apart the drainage system, found a pistachio nut shell in the air gap, knocked it out with a fork, and it was good as new! TWO YEARS because of that!!

So, I had SO much joy when it was fixed and my poor knuckles finally healed. So, this is so unfortunate. I know it's really nothing in the grad scheme of things, but just an extra thorn in my side during all of this!!

Yesterday was my birthday and I made a 4 layer chocolate/vanilla cake with lemon frosting for my tiny family of three and drank one of the most delicious craft beers I've ever had... so that was another good thing to add!

whome
22-04-20, 00:39
I weighed this morning and have lost 2.9 pounds this week. I still have about 33 pounds more to go but hey...it's a good start and I will take it. Hope everyone is doing good!

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-20, 04:29
My hand are absolutely destroyed for just a few days of it! Our dishwasher didn't work for the first year we lived in this house. Finally we bought a new one and it still didn't work. We brought two people out who couldn't figure it out! It just wouldn't drain and it left the dishes all grimy. Another year later a friend mentioned her dad repairs appliances. He came by, took apart the drainage system, found a pistachio nut shell in the air gap, knocked it out with a fork, and it was good as new! TWO YEARS because of that!!

So, I had SO much joy when it was fixed and my poor knuckles finally healed. So, this is so unfortunate. I know it's really nothing in the grad scheme of things, but just an extra thorn in my side during all of this!!

Yesterday was my birthday and I made a 4 layer chocolate/vanilla cake with lemon frosting for my tiny family of three and drank one of the most delicious craft beers I've ever had... so that was another good thing to add!

Get your marriage contract out and point to the sub clause where it clearly states "thou shalt wash all dishes" to your husband :winks:

I think your daughter has the best idea about how we should use Google :yesyes:

Scass
22-04-20, 05:56
Happy Birthday for yesterday Erin!

Well done on the weight loss whome

pulisa
22-04-20, 08:19
Happy belated birthday from me too, Erin! Glad your dishwasher is fully operational now. I've never had one so don't know any better. I still live in the Dark Ages but have a tiny kitchen so it's not an option-so long as my fridge and washing machine work I'm happy!

Congrats on the weight loss, whome! Always good to see results on the scales!

pulisa
22-04-20, 08:25
I have a friend and colleague who lives close by, and a very nice park even closer. Today I went for a socially distanced walk with my colleague, her five-year-old and their dog, who I was allowed to borrow for the duration of the walk.

I've still got stuff going on, but my head's feeling clear again for the first time in about a week.

We won't tell anyone, BI!:) Glad you are feeling a bit better.

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-20, 14:49
Happy birthday, Erin! Hope you had a lovely day :birthday::birthday1:https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/birthday/t3311.gifhttps://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/birthday/t3310.gif

ErinKC
23-04-20, 00:36
Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! :yahoo:

GingerFish
23-04-20, 14:30
I binge watched RuPaul's Drag Race and it made me forget my DP/DR for a while, I almost felt pretty much 100% back to normal from this bad setback! It came back again this morning but having a few hours break last night showed me that it wont last forever and each second, minute, hour of peace is a chance for my body to recover from it and put me back on the right track :)

GingerFish
23-04-20, 14:31
ErinKC - Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a great day xxxx

GingerFish
25-04-20, 17:31
I met my new downstairs neighbour for the first time today. She seemed nice :)

Fishmanpa
25-04-20, 19:01
It's been a long two weeks. I'm in essential services and the company I work for is taking care of us but still, its stressful and emotionally draining for all involved. I'm off for the next week (paid thankfully) so I'll have a chance to decompress and recover. I'm chilling out and this came on my Youtube feed.... I LMAO! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDPzbLFeP4)

Positive thoughts

whome
25-04-20, 21:03
Thanks Scass and Pulisa!

Scass
26-04-20, 09:48
I did a peel off face mask yesterday, honestly it was one of my top highlights of April. So satisfying to pull it off [emoji23]

GingerFish
26-04-20, 18:24
Spent the day in bed watching The Vicar of Dibley :)

Scass
26-04-20, 18:48
Spent the day in bed watching The Vicar of Dibley :)

Ohh nice!!

We’ve made chocolate fairy cakes [emoji39]

WiseMonkey
28-04-20, 09:51
I ordered some wool to knit 2 wee jackets for my Grandie (due end of July). The delivery charge was an extra $12NZ (5.8 UK) which I initially balked at, but then I haven't filled my car with petrol for 6 weeks so decided it was worth it! Can't wait for it to arrive in 2-5 days :emot-dance:

Pamplemousse
28-04-20, 10:57
I can relate to that - when I had work, it didn't bother me that I was spending nearly GBP400 a month on petrol... now my car has forgotten what a petrol station is!

GingerFish
29-04-20, 15:36
Some pre owned Stephen King books I ordered arrived today

GingerFish
30-04-20, 18:27
Seeing and hearing about all the birthday messages Captain Tom got today to made me smile. He deserves all the happiness and health in the world. He is a true hero :)

pulisa
30-04-20, 19:23
Seeing and hearing about all the birthday messages Captain Tom got today to made me smile. He deserves all the happiness and health in the world. He is a true hero :)

He really is....and he is now an honorary Colonel, I think? I hope he has had a truly special day to mark his Centenary and I hope the Queen remembered to send him "that" telegram?!

Lencoboy
30-04-20, 19:39

And also the oldest living person to be appear on a chart-topping single release just shy of his 100th birthday. Usually unthinkable for someone 30+ (and non-hip-hop/dance-pop), let alone someone almost approaching the centenary of their life, to achieve such a feat in this day and age!!

ErinKC
01-05-20, 14:34
I've been reading Harry Potter to my nearly 6 year old and she just LOVES it. I'm such a big fan that it's just so fun that she's really in to it, too. I just ordered her a bunch of Harry Potter themed birthday gifts, including splurging on some beautiful bedding from Pottery Barn. And, I got her a time-turner necklace and a hand crafted Hermione wand from Etsy. It will be so fun to continue to share this with her for so many years to come!

Scass
01-05-20, 17:06
Oh that’s so good! My 6yo doesn’t like Harry Potter at all, I’m hoping she will when she’s a bit older. We are reading the Daisy & the trouble with life series which are funny.

GingerFish
02-05-20, 14:11
I watched Guns Akimbo and enjoyed it :) also been continuing my South Park marathon and might have found my all time fave episode so far. Watching more today :)

GingerFish
03-05-20, 15:50
Really struggled with depression today when I first got up and I spent an hour just laying in bed thinking, making myself feel worse. I decided to get up and make a quick Sunday dinner - mince and tatties. Feel so much better now after that :)

GingerFish
05-05-20, 13:24
Found a Dr Claire Weekes recording on Youtube that I hadn't heard before. Really helped me this morning :)

BlueIris
05-05-20, 13:32
Video call from a colleague. I brought my senior cat in to say hello.

ErinKC
05-05-20, 15:17
Found a Dr Claire Weekes recording on Youtube that I hadn't heard before. Really helped me this morning :)

I love Claire Weeks! My mom recommended Hope and Help for your Nerves to me years ago and I love it. Some is kind of outdated, but a lot of her message is so useful!

ErinKC
05-05-20, 15:24
We had a tough day on Sunday when our upstairs toilet overflowed and leaked through our dining room ceiling... (add that to our going list of quarantine destruction: dishwasher, macbook, playstation controller, smashed cell phone screen...). After a bit of a meltdown, we cut open the ceiling, let it dry out, and bought white duct tape to cover it. :roflmao:I actually think something terrible happening lets me let out some of the tension. After that I felt almost refreshed. I decided to get back to intermittent fasting. I'd done it last summer before starting law school and fell out of it because my evening class schedule made it hard. I realized it's the perfect thing for quarantine because it's harder to control WHAT I eat, but it's very easy to control WHEN I eat and not eating after 7pm always makes me feel much better. I also decided to try and get in a 30 minute walk every day. I was meant to be getting into shape the last few months leading up to what would have been a hysterectomy on May 13. That's been rescheduled for July and instead of losing weight and getting healthier I've been snacking and sitting the past two months! So, I feel good to choose small steps to take some control of my health.

Also, I got a refund for my school parking plan and used the money to buy a pressure washer! What's more satisfying than pressure washing things?? Our deck is so gross and covered in water grime and pollen and I start sneezing and coughing the moment I go out. I cannot wait to get the pressure washer tomorrow and clean the deck and the deck furniture. Then I'm going to order some flowers to put out and make it an actual nice place to spend time since we can't go anywhere. I plan to do the front steps and walkway. I really can't wait! :yesyes:

GingerFish
07-05-20, 15:38
Husband made me a Lord of The Rings face mask out of an old pillow case from the bed set I had as a teen lol. Still a huge LOTR fan to this day

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 00:29
I've started knitting a wee jacket (colour is denim with silver trim) for my unborn grandie due end of July :wub:

Lolalee1
08-05-20, 06:42
I've started knitting a wee jacket (colour is denim with silver trim) for my unborn grandie due end of July :wub:

That is wonderful news WM would you mind knitting me a scarf I left all mine in NSW :hugs::flowers:

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 10:08
That is wonderful news WM would you mind knitting me a scarf I left all mine in NSW :hugs::flowers:

This is a special wool for you Ms L :flowers: Am knitting the wee one an owl hat in an oatmeal colour :wub:https://www.spotlightstores.com/medias/BP80331495.jpg-SPOTWF-productHero?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wzNTc5M3xpbW FnZS9qcGVnfGltYWdlcy9oN2UvaDliLzEwMTE5MDMzMjkwNzgy L0JQODAzMzE0OTUuanBnX1NQT1RXRl9wcm9kdWN0SGVyb3w4NW EzZTY0OTY4NTVmZjQ5N2Q4NjdkMTdjZDdiMGUxMDMwNzhlMDA0 M2UwZGU3YzcwZmJlMDUzZjYwMDI4ZmVk

Lolalee1
08-05-20, 11:32
Oh I like the colour :yesyes:

Acouple of hats it’s for your grandchild :hugs:

Scass
08-05-20, 13:28
It’s my Dads birthday today. He died a few years ago, but I’ve been playing some of his favourite songs & it’s been lovely to have them filling the rooms.

Also, I’m going to make a cake.

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 13:43
It’s my Dads birthday today. He died a few years ago, but I’ve been playing some of his favourite songs & it’s been lovely to have them filling the rooms. Also, I’m going to make a cake.

It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of your Dad and what a great way to celebrate his special day x What sort of cake did you make?

My lovely dad died 7 years ago on April the 17th and this year I forgot about it because of the covid crisis. I remembered earlier today and felt really bad about it because I always visit his grave site and take some flowers, the same on ANZAC Day when I take a poppy. This year it was cancelled due to the lockdown.

pulisa
08-05-20, 13:57
I don't think you need to feel bad about this, WM...This year has been so different and our thoughts are elsewhere..It's difficult to keep track of the date anyway when days just pass in a similar fashion.

I hope your day is full of happy memories of your Dad, Scass xx My Dad would have been 99 on April 19th..He would have had much to reminisce about on VE Day but I doubt whether he would have been too impressed by the CV pandemic!

Scass
08-05-20, 14:38
Oh don’t feel bad WM. he would have much preferred you to be living in the present than being sad. My Dad would have liked that I played some music, but not that I spent a second being upset.

Pulisa, I bet he would have had some great memories. My Dads Dads Mum took him to Buckingham palace on VE Day, it was his 4th birthday [emoji3590]

It’s going to be a chocolate cake if I can ever stop procrastinating!

pulisa
08-05-20, 17:56
I'm sure whatever you produce will be really special..

My Dad wouldn't have wanted sadness as well. I've never been very good at that though. At the end of the month it will be 30 years since my Mum died and I wonder what they both would have thought of what is going on in my life now. Memories help to keep you strong, don't they? x

Scass
08-05-20, 19:33
My Mum would have been worried and scared and my Dad would have chafed at all the rules. It feels so lonely without both parents sometimes doesn’t it, and it’s very hard not to be sad.

I made a marble cake, it’s cooling now waiting to be iced.

pulisa
08-05-20, 19:40
My Mum would have been worried and scared and my Dad would have chafed at all the rules. It feels so lonely without both parents sometimes doesn’t it, and it’s very hard not to be sad.

Enjoy every mouthful and remember your Dad with love and pride x

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 00:28

Yes it can feel lonely and I still miss my Dad, he was a lovely, gentle man and so humourous, his specialties were ditties and rhyming pairs (so English)! It helped him cope with my mothers NPD. If we hadn't of had him for a dad, my brother and I would have been complete fruit loops!! :shrug:

Yum, a marble cake with icing :) I made a gluten free chocolate cake which turned out really well too xx

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 00:34
Oh I like the colour :yesyes:

Acouple of hats it’s for your grandchild :hugs:

Thanks Ms L :bighug1: I love the lion one because if it's a boy his name will be Leo (due date July 20 but first ones are often late) :cloud9:

Fishmanpa
09-05-20, 00:34
My wife made Pan de Yuca... O.M.G.! :yahoo:

Positive thoughts

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 00:40
My wife made Pan de Yuca... O.M.G.! :yahoo: Positive thoughts

I had to Google that one and it looks delicious plus cassava flour is gluten free, must look up the recipe myself :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
09-05-20, 01:07
I had to Google that one and it looks delicious plus cassava flour is gluten free, must look up the recipe myself :yesyes:

My wife uses tapioca flour. I can attest they go equally well with a nice cup of tea or a cold brew depending on your mood and/or time of the day ;)

Positive thoughts

KK77
09-05-20, 01:17
I helped Ma dye her hair... Never thought I'd get my paws dirty partaking in such female antics, but it was good to help boost her morale as she has been feeling thoroughly fed up being stuck in the house :lac:

venusbluejeans
09-05-20, 01:40
Did you not dye yours as well KK?? :unsure::roflmao:

Advantages of living in a tiny village..... we were all able to adhere to the social distancing and still celebrate VE Day for a brief half hour ... video below, excuse my heavy breathing and very shoddy camera work, it was hard to film while trying to hold a wine glass at the side of a road :roflmao:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0qyv6vsfbq4ld1/MAQ02342.MP4?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2dtT5ankOC__jgdXeWY6mKvbDbPeCQry0hEtkeP LwQMun9XHBYXHpJS0E

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 03:23
I helped Ma dye her hair... Never thought I'd get my paws dirty partaking in such female antics, but it was good to help boost her morale as she has been feeling thoroughly fed up being stuck in the house :lac: Status: Rinsed

It's hard for the much older members of society. My fiances 96 year old mother still lives in her own home in Ashburton (South Island of NZ) is fit and healthy but has been in isolation by herself for 6 weeks! Luckily 2 of her daughters live close by and have been able to deliver food to her doorstep. Due to dropping down to Alert Level 3, her daughters have been able to take her to their homes so we had a video chat with them on Friday. They're all good and the mother-in-law is rearing to go! No hair dye required as she's naturally white haired, her son (my fiance 66) is the same :winks:

Scass
09-05-20, 12:12
Yes it can feel lonely and I still miss my Dad, he was a lovely, gentle man and so humourous, his specialties were ditties and rhyming pairs (so English)! It helped him cope with my mothers NPD. If we hadn't of had him for a dad, my bother and I would have been complete fruit loops!! :shrug:

Yum, a marble cake with icing :) I made a gluten free chocolate cake which turned out really well too xx

He sounds like a great man!

Thank heavens for cake!!

KK77
09-05-20, 16:52
Did you not dye yours as well KK?? :unsure::roflmao:

Ma did mention....I mean, of course not! I don't have a single grey hair out of 3,466,877 (at last count) :wacko:

pulisa
09-05-20, 21:14
How hirsute of you to count them, KK..

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-20, 04:25
Good on you for helping her do something good, KK :yesyes:

GingerFish
14-05-20, 16:22
Really been struggling the last few days with everything so I'm trying now more than ever to find positives in each day

I had a good sleep with multiple good or at least neutral dreams (anything is better than nightmares or even worse, insomnia!)

Scass
14-05-20, 18:02
That’s good!

I did Joe Wicks gentle workout yesterday & I don’t ache today!!

GingerFish
21-05-20, 20:08
Today's been a good day :) I done the beginners Joe Wicks exercise video and done the full 20 mins in one go, I'm happy with Scotland's lock down easing plans that were announced today, I dyed my hair and some new t shirts I ordered arrived :)

Noivous
21-05-20, 20:15
Today's been a good day :) I done the beginners Joe Wicks exercise video and done the full 20 mins in one go, I'm happy with Scotland's lock down easing plans that were announced today, I dyed my hair and some new t shirts I ordered arrived :)

What color? Oops... I mean colour?

I had my first cup of coffee from a coffee shop in ten weeks. Also, got my haircut yesterday. Traffic is picking up... normally a bad thing...but now I'm happy to see it.

GingerFish
21-05-20, 20:24
What color? Oops... I mean colour?

I had my first cup of coffee from a coffee shop in ten weeks. Also, got my haircut yesterday. Traffic is picking up... normally a bad thing...but now I'm happy to see it.

Just my usual dye colour - ginger :) been dyeing my hair that colour for about 14 years now

Noivous
21-05-20, 20:43
Lovely! And I should have known!

venusbluejeans
21-05-20, 20:47
I managed to get up to turn the desktop on at 6am to ban a Korean spammer, who had only managed to post 10 times, without banning the wrong person while half asleep AND wrote a compos mentis reply to a thread too :yahoo:

It could have all gone horribly wrong :roflmao:

ErinKC
21-05-20, 22:06
I made cheesecake and it was SO GOOD. I don't bake at all. I hate cooking. But I really felt like a real dessert. I was super impressed with myself and it was delicious. I made the sauce by smashing up and boiling frozen blueberries we had for smoothies. Amazing.

GingerFish
21-05-20, 23:19
I made cheesecake and it was SO GOOD. I don't bake at all. I hate cooking. But I really felt like a real dessert. I was super impressed with myself and it was delicious. I made the sauce by smashing up and boiling frozen blueberries we had for smoothies. Amazing.

Omg that looks amazing! You did a great job :)

Scass
22-05-20, 06:54
Erin that looks so good!

Well done Venus too :)

GingerFish
22-05-20, 14:04
Done another Joe Wicks beginners workout this morning and now chilling watching some Georges Melies films I haven't seen before :)

Scass
22-05-20, 17:10
Done another Joe Wicks beginners workout this morning and now chilling watching some Georges Melies films I haven't seen before :)

I like his beginners workouts too!

Noivous
22-05-20, 21:55

I went for a nice walk today. Took a few pics. In that first one I think I can see Terry on the other side of the pond...wave Terry!

Incase you're wondering I did walk across that bridge and back.

Fishmanpa
23-05-20, 00:19
Re: Name something good that happened to you today - lock down edition

Strites donuts! (https://www.facebook.com/Strites-Doughnuts-Front-Royal-1898296176930731/)

Positive thoughts

Noivous
23-05-20, 01:29
Am I looking at an apple filled donut?

Fishmanpa
23-05-20, 02:14
Am I looking at an apple filled donut?

Yep! They have only about half a dozen varieties and all are totally rich and delicious! They typically sell out before Noon every day! They're ridiculously dense, heavy and delicious! My wife and I split one as they're THAT filling and rich. That apple filling is a kin to an apple pie! At $1.50 each it literally is enough for breakfast! (and lunch!)

Positive thoughts

Noivous
23-05-20, 02:49
Well it's a haul but I'll be leaving in the morning!

whome
23-05-20, 04:16

I went for a nice walk today. Took a few pics. In that first one I think I can see Terry on the other side of the pond...wave Terry!

Incase you're wondering I did walk across that bridge and back.Beautiful!

whome
23-05-20, 04:18
Yep! They have only about half a dozen varieties and all are totally rich and delicious! They typically sell out before Noon every day! They're ridiculously dense, heavy and delicious! My wife and I split one as they're THAT filling and rich. That apple filling is a kin to an apple pie! At $1.50 each it literally is enough for breakfast! (and lunch!)

Positive thoughtsI've never met a donut I didn't like and these sound wonderful

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-20, 04:50

I soooo want a slice of that...well, all of it really!!! :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-20, 04:53

Incase you're wondering I did walk across that bridge and back.

Very nice. I wish I had a sail boat.

Yes, I was the one mooning back at you! https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sex/t15182.gif

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 05:03
No Terry that was me :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-20, 05:11
No Terry that was me :roflmao:

:roflmao: You too? Just so he knows for next time he needs to remember you have biker tatts on yours and mine's a no entry sign :biggrin:

Noivous
23-05-20, 11:50
:roflmao: You too? Just so he knows for next time he needs to remember you have biker tatts on yours and mine's a no entry sign :biggrin:

That was you two? Oh! I thought it was a solar eclipse!

Lolalee1
23-05-20, 14:01
No N.a full moonie oh no I meant moon:D

GingerFish
23-05-20, 14:19
Some new horror film t shrits I ordered arrived earlier than expected :)

Fishmanpa
23-05-20, 16:14
THIS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy_y9yOrgxk) came up on my Youtube feed. I nearly spit my coffee out all over the computer! :roflmao: Pretty much sums up what so many are feeling right now.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
23-05-20, 16:14
That was you two? Oh! I thought it was a solar eclipse!

No N.a full moonie oh no I meant moon:D

We're trying to start an alternative international Mexican wave to cheer people up :yesyes:

GingerFish
24-05-20, 14:36
Woke up with a migraine that I had from last night but at least woke up in a better mindset about it. Last night I was so stressed over it, panicking about every symptom it gave me despite having had migraines all my life but today I woke up and said to myself "meh, it hurts and sucks but it could be gone by the end of the day or tomorrow. Take some more painkillers and go and have fun" so here I am on my laptop about to play Skyrim with the screen brightness down, my blackout blind down and a pair of sunglasses on :roflmao:

ErinKC
28-05-20, 00:51
It was my daughter's birthday this weekend and I made a whole Harry Potter theme since I've been reading the books to her. I had just as much fun preparing it as she had enjoying it!
5069 5070 5071

Scass
28-05-20, 08:18
Erin that’s amazing! Hope she loves it.
Have you seen that JK is releasing chapters of a new/old children’s book?

ErinKC
30-05-20, 16:32
Erin that’s amazing! Hope she loves it.
Have you seen that JK is releasing chapters of a new/old children’s book?

Yes! I just discovered that a few days ago and printed out all the chapters to read to my daughter (I hate reading on a devise). It's a really sweet story so far! We're up to The Order of the Phoenix now in our HP read. I keep wanting to stop because my girl is only 6 and things get darker and darker, but she wants to keep going! I'm happy to have something else to switch to now and then. I feel like these later HP books are going to turn her into the cynic that I am at age 6. We're in the beginning and she just learned Harry will have to go to a hearing before the Ministry about using magic on the dementors in front of Dudley. She was like, "Oh, that's good then! He can tell them what happened, they'll believe him, and he can go back to school!" :roflmao: The poor girl is in for a rude awakening about how government works!

LouiseAndy
01-06-20, 00:58
Our dog had a little unexpected surprise today.....eight new puppy's for us

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk