PDA

View Full Version : Son tested for covid 19

watercolors
07-04-20, 19:02
My type 1 diabetic son was tested for covid 19 this morning. Test results will take up to 5 days. He developed a low fever last night. His fever has been up and down. We were fortunate to get him tested this morning. He tested negative for the flu and strep. We did everything they said, bleaching, washing, isolating....I don't understand. I'm so scared.

nomorepanic
07-04-20, 19:17
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Scass
07-04-20, 20:00
I’m so sorry that this has happened. It’s good that your doctors are on top of it and hopefully he’ll receive great care.

glassgirlw
07-04-20, 20:07
Try to keep in mind that only a very small percentage of the tests being done come back positive for Covid. There are plenty of bugs going around this time of year so hopefully he just has a minor cold! I know I personally have run fevers with just a common cold in the past.

watercolors
07-04-20, 20:32
I just don't understand how he could get sick at all. We have been so careful.

ErinKC
07-04-20, 23:24
I'm so sorry. I hope that his test comes back negative! My brother is type 1 and we've been worrying about him because he lives in an apartment (in upstate NY) and has had to go to the store because his area doesn't offer many other delivery or pick up options for groceries. So, I understand your worry!

watercolors
08-04-20, 02:09
Thank you. I will send prayers for your brother.

NancyW
12-04-20, 17:29
How is your son?

watercolors
12-04-20, 22:36
He has been feeling better for a couple of days. Test results are not in yet. He is still in quarentine .

MagicalSprite
12-04-20, 22:49
Hope you get the results soon and that they’re negative. I understand the not understanding part - I’ve been experiencing a fever yet I’ve been over the top careful - how this happens to anyone being careful I really don’t know

watercolors
13-04-20, 00:05
It's very scary. Have you been tested?

nomorepanic
13-04-20, 00:25
We are not getting tested in the UK yet

AntsyVee
13-04-20, 03:40
It is scary, but even if it's positive, most people have mild cases. My aunt and uncle both had it and their cases were both mild. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your son and family.

watercolors
13-04-20, 04:45
Thank you.

NancyW
15-04-20, 04:58
??? Nothing yet?

watercolors
15-04-20, 21:02
No results yet. Doctor said results should be in tomorrow. Thank you for checking.

watercolors
16-04-20, 21:30
Dr. called. It will take 2 to 4 more days until test results are in. So frustrating.

Noivous
16-04-20, 21:40
I will be praying for your son, Watercolors.

glassgirlw
16-04-20, 22:12
Dr. called. It will take 2 to 4 more days until test results are in. So frustrating.

this is absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn’t take this long for test results. It’s a Huge problem with our testing system here. How do they expect to reopen anything when we either can’t get any tests or the tests get done but results take over a week?? That’s just craziness.

I hope your son starts to feel better very soon!

WiseMonkey
16-04-20, 22:32
this is absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn’t take this long for test results. It’s a Huge problem with our testing system here. How do they expect to reopen anything when we either can’t get any tests or the tests get done but results take over a week?? That’s just craziness.

I hope your son starts to feel better very soon!

The delay is likely due to the vast number of tests being processed. Testing is only an indicator as 30% can give a false negative so those with symptoms should be considered as having covid. In all symptomatic cases, isolation should be for 14 days and extended if others in the household show symptoms too. I hope the recovery process goes smoothly x

glassgirlw
17-04-20, 01:19
The delay is likely due to the vast number of tests being processed. Testing is only an indicator as 30% can give a false negative so those with symptoms should be considered as having covid. In all symptomatic cases, isolation should be for 14 days and extended if others in the household show symptoms too. I hope the recovery process goes smoothly x

yes, but the frustrating part is that we’re all hearing from our state governments how we have “so much testing capacity” and “rapid tests are here” and whatnot. Then why do results take so flipping long? I hate that people are having to wait to know if their kids have it or not. I get that it won’t change the treatment plan or process, but under times of mental and emotional stress like these, if we truly have that much lab capacity then we shouldn’t be waiting this long for results (which I highly doubt seeing how long it’s taking all over the country). And, if our federal government could get their acts together and act as a cohesive unit rather than a bunch of kindergarteners playing keep away at recess, that would be even better.

Rant over. :roflmao:Watercolors I will continue to keep your son in my prayers!!

WiseMonkey
17-04-20, 01:33
yes, but the frustrating part is that we’re all hearing from our state governments how we have “so much testing capacity” and “rapid tests are here” and whatnot. Then why do results take so flipping long? I hate that people are having to wait to know if their kids have it or not. I get that it won’t change the treatment plan or process, but under times of mental and emotional stress like these, if we truly have that much lab capacity then we shouldn’t be waiting this long for results (which I highly doubt seeing how long it’s taking all over the country). And, if our federal government could get their acts together and act as a cohesive unit rather than a bunch of kindergarteners playing keep away at recess, that would be even better.

Yep, you only have to look at your country's leadership to answer you own question, take care :)

watercolors
18-04-20, 01:07
Thank you for all of your responses. I agree with all of them. I have never felt this level of frustration. I had to insist he get tested because he is type 1 diabetic. My son got over his fever in 24 hours. His stomach issues and sore throat were gone in 48 hours. We were able to do that only because his university's student health department had tests available for their students. Having said that it has been 11 days since he was tested. He is type 1 diabetic, my husband has heart disease and had a heart attack last summer, and I have asthma. This is why we needed him tested right away. I am beyond grateful that he recovered so quickly from whatever he had, however, he has been in his room in quarantine this entire time in an effort to protect the rest of our family. We are hoping for results by Monday, however, I would not be surprised if they are not yet available. wisemonkey, I couldn't agree more.

Noivous
18-04-20, 13:45

Rant over. :roflmao:Watercolors I will continue to keep your son in my prayers!!

I don't blame the government... federal, state, or local. They're all doing the best they can. My oldest lost his job because of covid. 3 kids a wife and a mortgage. He very gratefully received a sizable check from the from the feds this week to help him through. My wife is a respiratory therapist at a very large and very busy hospital and she says they are lacking for nothing in the way of protective gear.
This pandemic was a total sucker punch. And I've been on both ends of the sucker punch and let me tell you it worked every time. But we are regaining our footing now. It will take a little time but we'll get through it. When the going gets tough the weak point fingers. Hang in there and don't believe everything you read online or see on TV. There actually are some good people in government and they're doing the best that they can do.

N.

PS - Glad your son is on the mend, Watercolors.

pulisa
18-04-20, 14:01
I'm not sure that Prince Charles or Boris Johnson would have waited that long for their test results...

Fingers crossed for your son, Watercolors and I'm glad he is over his illness. At least you will know, one way or the other, whether he has actually had CV but unnecessary quarantining is frustrating for everyone.

Lencoboy
18-04-20, 16:25
I'm not sure that Prince Charles or Boris Johnson would have waited that long for their test results...

Fingers crossed for your son, Watercolors and I'm glad he is over his illness. At least you will know, one way or the other, whether he has actually had CV but unnecessary quarantining is frustrating for everyone.

Yes this quarantining is most definitely a pain in the backside but it's still far better to be safe than sorry, regardless of individual risk.

watercolors
18-04-20, 18:44
The Doctor called this morning. My son's test results were inconclusive. He tested negative for one test component and positive for another test component. Doctor said he probably had it. He will be in quarantine until Tuesday. The doctor said the test results are very unreliable and that the only way to truly know if he had it is for him to test for antibodies, when the antibody tests are available. She said he is one of the lucky young ones that came through this with very mild symptoms. I agree. I am so grateful. I believe everyone in government is doing their best, however, I live in south Florida. Our Governor opened beaches in Jacksonville yesterday and seems to be in a rush to open up the state. Pictures of Jacksonville beaches since they opened yesterday look like a rock concert. This is serious and it is essential for those who CAN stay home to stay home.

Fishmanpa
18-04-20, 19:10
Really glad your son is doing Ok. Concerning the test?...

"Anybody that needs a test gets a test; they're there, they have the tests, and the tests are beautiful. The tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect, the transcription was perfect, right? This was not as perfect as that, but pretty good." - Donald Trump 03/06/2020

I guess they're not as beautiful as Trump says they are and you know this from personal experience! And I personally know several people that could not get the test because they weren't ill enough :lac: And read what Trump actually said. What the hell is that supposed to mean? The tests aren't as perfect as his call with Ukraine? Its like there is absolutely no filter from his irrational train of thought to his mouth! :huh:

Positive thoughts

watercolors
18-04-20, 19:19
I agree. Completely.

KK77
18-04-20, 19:30
If the tests are so unreliable, what does that say for all the stats and numbers they're churning out for COVID-19? Basing a disease on only "symptoms" is not a diagnosis.

And re Trump: we know he's full of crappage but he's been reduced to an autocue and script-reading dummy so has to add his own crass and nonsensical language :lac:

Pamplemousse
18-04-20, 19:45
And read what Trump actually said. What the hell is that supposed to mean? The tests aren't as perfect as his call with Ukraine? Its like there is absolutely no filter from his irrational train of thought to his mouth! :huh:

I suspect that train of thoughts runs from bowel to mouth and doesn't go via his brain. Putting aside my utter contempt for him, I actually find him incredibly difficult to listen to; he speaks with the verbal capacity of a not particularly intelligent eight year old. My five year old great-nephew makes more sense.

watercolors
18-04-20, 19:50
Pamplemousse:roflmao:

pulisa
18-04-20, 19:58
I hate all this "inconclusive" nonsense. It covers a multitude of possibilities. How can a test for Covid be inconclusive-it's either positive or negative not half and half/maybe/ possibly/ let's just assume he's got it etc etc.

I'm very glad your son is ok and stable, Watercolors but you are right to be angry. This virus is running rings around most of the world's population despite all the statistics and predictions. It's all guesswork when it comes down to it no matter how much it is dressed up by those in Power.

Fishmanpa
18-04-20, 20:08
I suspect that train of thoughts runs from bowel to mouth and doesn't go via his brain. Putting aside my utter contempt for him, I actually find him incredibly difficult to listen to; he speaks with the verbal capacity of a not particularly intelligent eight year old. My five year old great-nephew makes more sense.

Pamplemousse:roflmao:

:roflmao::yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Gary A
18-04-20, 20:32
Trumps press conferences are honestly just bizarre at this point. He just stands and abuses people that don’t ask him questions he feels comfortable answering.

I’m no politician by any stretch of the imagination but surely being one of the most powerful individuals on the planet must have “will encounter awkward questions” as part of the job description.

Noivous
18-04-20, 22:20
They're not awkward questions, Gary. They're "gotcha questions". Like this one actually asked of the President by a so called journalist..."how many deaths are acceptable?" Give me a break.

PanickyGuy
18-04-20, 23:49
The Doctor called this morning. My son's test results were inconclusive. He tested negative for one test component and positive for another test component. Doctor said he probably had it. He will be in quarantine until Tuesday. The doctor said the test results are very unreliable and that the only way to truly know if he had it is for him to test for antibodies, when the antibody tests are available. She said he is one of the lucky young ones that came through this with very mild symptoms. I agree. I am so grateful. I believe everyone in government is doing their best, however, I live in south Florida. Our Governor opened beaches in Jacksonville yesterday and seems to be in a rush to open up the state. Pictures of Jacksonville beaches since they opened yesterday look like a rock concert. This is serious and it is essential for those who CAN stay home to stay home.

I see your state has only tested 25,269 people out of a population of 21,477,737 for the virus, and yet, your governor opens up the beaches. I guess life is cheap and everything else is more important. We got the same type of Trump like sentiment with our governor here in Arkansas. He's talking about picking things back up with this Trumpian phase 1,2,3 crap. He'll probably open the state parks back up. Yet much like your state, we have only tested a total of 24,141 people out of a population of a little over 3 million. I think Dr. Fauci hit the nail on the head when he said the virus will decide, not us. Just like the 1918 virus decided that generations fate when most of them ignored social distancing.

But anyway, we'll see. BTW, glad to hear your son is doing fine now. Awesome!

Gary A
18-04-20, 23:52
They're not awkward questions, Gary. They're "gotcha questions". Like this one actually asked of the President by a so called journalist..."how many deaths are acceptable?" Give me a break.

Whatever they are, when did it become acceptable to just start dolling out abuse? Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely piss myself laughing when he starts the whole “you’re a rude terrible person and you’re fake news” stuff, and his “it came from...CHINA” response was absolute gold, but come on. He was calling it a conspiracy and claiming it would disappear like magic only a few months ago, surely that leaves him open to questioning?

watercolors
19-04-20, 00:21
Thank you. I am so grateful my son is ok.

NancyW
19-04-20, 01:50
Thank you. I am so grateful my son is ok.

So glad he's ok and actually glad if he did have it because he's got some immunity. No one else in your house is sick?

Noivous
19-04-20, 03:36
Whatever they are, when did it become acceptable to just start dolling out abuse? Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely piss myself laughing when he starts the whole “you’re a rude terrible person and you’re fake news” stuff, and his “it came from...CHINA” response was absolute gold, but come on. He was calling it a conspiracy and claiming it would disappear like magic only a few months ago, surely that leaves him open to questioning?

Hahaha! I'm so with you on the...CHINA line. Absolutely hilarious. Right up there with Beautiful Clean Coal. And he is actually answering many questions straight forwardly and he's putting many officials up front to answer legit questions of their expertise. Gary, the tens of millions of American's who support the President have no problem with him slapping down these operatives posing as journalists. In fact we've been waiting for someone to come along with the stones to do it. Someone who's not intimidated by the mighty press. That someone is President Trump.

watercolors
19-04-20, 05:09
Thank you. No we are not showing symptoms. My husband and I also want to get tested for antibodies as we both showed very minor symptoms before and after my son was sick. My daughter never showed any symptoms, but I would like all of us to get the antibody test because with this virus there is so much unknown. Whether or not that will be possible remains to be seen.

Pamplemousse
19-04-20, 11:03
Trumps press conferences are honestly just bizarre at this point. He just stands and abuses people that don’t ask him questions he feels comfortable answering.

After the utterly obnoxious Priti (by name, not by nature) Patel's performance at one of these (unnecessary, IMO) Government briefings, I doubt she'll be doing another.