PDA

View Full Version : Social distancing

phil06
07-04-20, 23:29
I heard it could last until 2022 this is very depressing. Having to walk miles away from people for many months or years to come. Surely they could have a vaccine before it goes on this long?

nomorepanic
07-04-20, 23:48
2m not miles and they have no idea.

Gary A
08-04-20, 00:00
I heard it could last until 2022 this is very depressing. Having to walk miles away from people for many months or years to come. Surely they could have a vaccine before it goes on this long?

It’s unlikely to last that long, not at this level anyway. Right now it’s all about getting the spread under control, which is probably the most difficult task. China and South Korea are pretty much already there in that regard, Germany, Italy and Spain are also showing small signs.

When the rate of transition from one person falls below one, the virus will have nowhere to go. Right now the transmission rate is 2.5 people for every one person they come into contact with. If you get it to a point of one person getting the infection from one other person, it becomes easier to isolate infected people and trace recent contacts.

There’s also a huge push for treatments and undoubtedly a few will arise over the next few months. There’s a huge effort in finding vaccination also. To my knowledge at least 7 are ready for human trails and one has actually already got to that point.

If we need to keep a distance from people for a few months in order to get to these points, well, so be it. It’s not ideal by any means but it’s a small price to pay in order to save a lot of lives wouldn’t you say?

phil06
08-04-20, 00:38
It’s unlikely to last that long, not at this level anyway. Right now it’s all about getting the spread under control, which is probably the most difficult task. China and South Korea are pretty much already there in that regard, Germany, Italy and Spain are also showing small signs.

When the rate of transition from one person falls below one, the virus will have nowhere to go. Right now the transmission rate is 2.5 people for every one person they come into contact with. If you get it to a point of one person getting the infection from one other person, it becomes easier to isolate infected people and trace recent contacts.

There’s also a huge push for treatments and undoubtedly a few will arise over the next few months. There’s a huge effort in finding vaccination also. To my knowledge at least 7 are ready for human trails and one has actually already got to that point.

If we need to keep a distance from people for a few months in order to get to these points, well, so be it. It’s not ideal by any means but it’s a small price to pay in order to save a lot of lives wouldn’t you say?

I agree but I read comments about 2022 and the Dutch said it may become a long term thing which I hope is not the case

Heres what I read earlier

The Netherlands is looking at ways to ease lockdown measures, but life may never go back to the way it was BC (before coronavirus). Social distancing is here to stay, says Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

"We should all start thinking about how we can adapt still further to the 1.5-metre society. The way back will be step by step and based on science," he told reporters. (In some parts of Europe, people are told to keep at least 1.5 metres away from others, although the WHO guidance says two metres.)

If the curve of hospital and intensive care admissions continues to level off, the Dutch lockdown measures could be eased from 28 April.

But Mr Rutte cautions against any hurry. "We have an intelligent lockdown. It will be an intelligent un-lockdown.”

ankietyjoe
08-04-20, 01:21
I agree but I read comments about 2022 and the Dutch said it may become a long term thing which I hope is not the case

The Netherlands is looking at ways to ease lockdown measures, but life may never go back to the way it was BC (before coronavirus). Social distancing is here to stay, says Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

"We should all start thinking about how we can adapt still further to the 1.5-metre society. The way back will be step by step and based on science," he told reporters. (In some parts of Europe, people are told to keep at least 1.5 metres away from others, although the WHO guidance says two metres.)

If the curve of hospital and intensive care admissions continues to level off, the Dutch lockdown measures could be eased from 28 April.

But Mr Rutte cautions against any hurry. "We have an intelligent lockdown. It will be an intelligent un-lockdown.”

It can't be 'here to stay' and also end.

You're cherry picking your own interpretation of what you don't want to see happen, and deciding that's what's going to happen.

WiseMonkey
08-04-20, 01:40

Not everything you read or hear via the press is the truth! Most newspapers and some TV stations catastrophise to get their ratings up. This social distancing could last a long time as community spread has to be stamped out (as well as those returning to a country who need to be quarantined) or maybe until a vaccine has been found.

The amount of continuing community spread, depends on how well people can follow the rules and isolate. This takes self control and discipline. I'm 63 and consider I'm lucky to have not experienced a war like my parents and grandparents did, this was true hardship all round, likewise the Spanish 'flu of 1918. Now this pandemic has brought hardship again for our world in another form. We must have patience and perseverance and for many this will test their metal (inner strength).

We in NZ went into an early enforced lockdown 2 weeks ago for 1 month, our PM was straight talking and direct in her approach, there would be penalties for those who flouted the rules! She said 'act like you have covid19' isolate, and when you go out for a walk be considerate of others and be kind.'
Mostly our covid cases are flattening, yesterday there were more recoveries than confirmed cases. However the govt wants to stamp it out, not just get it under control and this will take time, likely many months. We have closed our borders and they will stay closed except for returning Kiwi's (NZers). We are a small nation of 4.8 million people, so larger nations will take much longer to recover as the complexities are much more diverse.

In times like this, the economy has to be second to human lives and survival. There will be a world recession and the World will not be the same as it was, which was how much of the world was after the Great wars. Bemoaning your circumstances is a waste of time and ramps up anxiety. Be grateful for what you do have be kind to yourself and others ... we are all in this together.

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-20, 04:47
Not everything you read or hear via the press is the truth! Most newspapers and some TV stations catastrophise to get their ratings up. This social distancing could last a long time as community spread has to be stamped out (as well as those returning to a country who need to be quarantined) or maybe until a vaccine has been found.

The amount of continuing community spread, depends on how well people can follow the rules and isolate. This takes self control and discipline. I'm 63 and consider I'm lucky to have not experienced a war like my parents and grandparents did, this was true hardship all round, likewise the Spanish 'flu of 1918. Now this pandemic has brought hardship again for our world in another form. We must have patience and perseverance and for many this will test their metal (inner strength).

We in NZ went into an early enforced lockdown 2 weeks ago for 1 month, our PM was straight talking and direct in her approach, there would be penalties for those who flouted the rules! She said 'act like you have covid19' isolate, and when you go out for a walk be considerate of others and be kind.'
Mostly our covid cases are flattening, yesterday there were more recoveries than confirmed cases. However the govt wants to stamp it out, not just get it under control and this will take time, likely many months. We have closed our borders and they will stay closed except for returning Kiwi's (NZers). We are a small nation of 4.8 million people, so larger nations will take much longer to recover as the complexities are much more diverse.

In times like this, the economy has to be second to human lives and survival. There will be a world recession and the World will not be the same as it was, which was how much of the world was after the Great wars. Bemoaning your circumstances is a waste of time and ramps up anxiety. Be grateful for what you do have be kind to yourself and others ... we are all in this together.

I loved how your PM told the kids the Easter bunny was exempt so will still be coming :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-20, 05:04
It can't be 'here to stay' and also end.

You're cherry picking your own interpretation of what you don't want to see happen, and deciding that's what's going to happen.

Agreed. I can't find some of this searching Google other than a post of another forum. I suspect much of this has been written a certain way and doesn't reflect a long term view by the Dutch, more what they are doing now.

WiseMonkey
08-04-20, 06:09
I loved how your PM told the kids the Easter bunny was exempt so will still be coming :yesyes:

Haha yes I love her motherly touch while showing tough leadership. She put a downloadable Easter egg on the Govt site for NZ kids to colour and display in their windows at home, she included her email address so they could send her photos of their eggs. She and her partner Clarke Gayford have a 21 month old daughter, so she leads a very full, active life. She turns 40 this year :)

Jacinda Ardern ... lockdown with a toddler! :)
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12323603

Panicattacka
08-04-20, 07:18
Haha yes I love her motherly touch while showing tough leadership. She put a downloadable Easter egg on the Govt site for NZ kids to colour and display in their windows at home, she included her email address so they could send her photos of their eggs. She and her partner Clarke Gayford have a 21 month old daughter, so she leads a very full, active life. She turns 40 this year :)

I must admit, I have been surprised by just how well your PM has handled this. I didn't have a very good impression of her before all this, I wrongly assumed she was just another careerist globalist politician who was a bought and paid for puppet, trying to throw open NZ to the whole world with virtually no border control. I'm glad to say I was very wrong in my assessment of her, she actually is a patriotic leader who has acted quickly and wisely to protect her country. Well done her!

Pamplemousse
08-04-20, 11:08
I must admit, I have been surprised by just how well your PM has handled this. I didn't have a very good impression of her before all this, I wrongly assumed she was just another careerist globalist politician who was a bought and paid for puppet, trying to throw open NZ to the whole world with virtually no border control. I'm glad to say I was very wrong in my assessment of her, she actually is a patriotic leader who has acted quickly and wisely to protect her country. Well done her!

Not all politicians are like Boris Johnson.

Gary A
08-04-20, 11:55
Not all politicians are like Boris Johnson.

As much as I agree that Boris Johnson got it wrong in the beginning, you have to remember that he’s not a scientist. He was advised, in my opinion, very poorly by the scientists and epidemiologists around him. They got their modelling completely wrong and for God only knows what reason advised him against routine testing.

However, not many nations have got it right with this pandemic. I mean, even the world health organisation have been guilty of misinformation and fumbled data. It’s been a really poor show thus far from those who really should know better.

Pamplemousse
08-04-20, 12:37
As much as I agree that Boris Johnson got it wrong in the beginning, you have to remember that he’s not a scientist. He was advised, in my opinion, very poorly by the scientists and epidemiologists around him. They got their modelling completely wrong and for God only knows what reason advised him against routine testing.

However, not many nations have got it right with this pandemic. I mean, even the world health organisation have been guilty of misinformation and fumbled data. It’s been a really poor show thus far from those who really should know better.

What I would say about Johnson would probably get me banned; but not only was he badly advised, like the Nectarine Nero across the pond he tried to brush this off, minimise the impact on the stock markets and refuse offers of help from the EU because of Brexit dogma. Johnson first, little people later.

Germany has done very well in this matter by contrast but hey, we won two world wars and one world cup don'tcha know :emot-rolleyes:

ankietyjoe
08-04-20, 12:59
Agreed. I can't find some of this searching Google other than a post of another forum. I suspect much of this has been written a certain way and doesn't reflect a long term view by the Dutch, more what they are doing now.

It's also worth noting that journalists will ALWAYS print partial quotes out of context. The Dutch PM may well have said 'SD is here to stay....for the time being'.

Etc.

Pamplemousse
08-04-20, 13:36
Now this is interesting, and follows on from the post by Gary_A:

https://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21P1VF (https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21P1VF)

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-20, 13:59

It shows a lovely side when they do this with kids. We are used to ivory tower types who just trot out meaningless phrases.

You comes across as actually caring about people doing something like this rather than staying remote.

Pamplemousse
08-04-20, 14:54
It shows a lovely side when they do this with kids. We are used to ivory tower types who just trot out meaningless phrases.

You comes across as actually caring about people doing something like this rather than staying remote.

Couldn't agree more :)

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-20, 14:59
It's also worth noting that journalists will ALWAYS print partial quotes out of context. The Dutch PM may well have said 'SD is here to stay....for the time being'.

Etc.

Exactly. He might have been asked when he was changing his car to reply 2022 and some journalist cut that out and pasted it to his earlier remarks about SD. :biggrin:

phil06
13-04-20, 00:58
So it won’t go on until 2022?

glassgirlw
13-04-20, 01:17
So it won’t go on until 2022?

At the level that we’re currently operating at? No, I don’t see it going on that long. However, periods of changes may be necessary as they work to get a vaccine developed or if “clusters” of illness break out after the peak is done and over. But I don’t see how it’s possible to continue this level of distancing and business closures into 2022 with no break.

WiseMonkey
13-04-20, 01:52
In NZ we are hopefully flattening the curve and have closed borders (other than NZers returning home and they go into an enforced isolation for 2 weeks). Three days before the lockdown our PM put the country into Level 2 then two days later Level 3 then we went to Level 4 (state of emergency) for 4 weeks.

Each level denotes certain personal restrictions, so when we do come out of lockdown, we will go back to Level 3 which includes social distancing as well.

Personally I think she will extend the lockdown, beyond the 4 weeks. NZ is trying to stamp out all Covid cases which will involve no new cases showing up (despite of intensive random testing) for at least one week. Community spread is the main challenge and is running at 2%. It makes up 13 identified clusters which are mostly contained through tracing and identifying contacts, who isolate for two weeks.

It's still a big task and we have only 4.9 million people to take care of. If any cases are missed then this could lead to a resurgence which would be disastrous.

Lockdown is the only way to stop the spread of covid. Larger countries may just be happy to go with containment and allow herd immunity to take it's course. Other than that I can see large populations having to lockdown for many months before community spread eventually stops.

pulisa
13-04-20, 08:20
I suppose it's inevitable that your Winter months will bring more cases though?

WiseMonkey
13-04-20, 09:39
I suppose it's inevitable that your Winter months will bring more cases though?

If the cases of covid are contained or stamped out then, Winter won't make any difference. The director general of health commented today that there will be hardly any respiratory illnesses (including 'flu and colds) around the community as everyone has been isolating in lock down. This means that if someone had a respiratory illness before of during the lockdown of 4-6 weeks, they would not be contagious after this time. Anyone with a cold or flu symptoms now is asked to get tested for covid and stay in lockdown for another 2 weeks, if they test positive, they will be in an enforced quarantine for 2 weeks.
Also with our borders closed (and returning NZers in quarantine for 2 weeks), no virus's will be imported or transmitted.

NZ is so fortunate to have very rigid controls at present and has made a lot of ground. Our number of active cases are declining and the number of those recovered are rising. Sadly there will be more deaths as covid has got into a couple of rest homes where there are elderly, vulnerable people. Some are already in hospital with staff from the rest homes and other contacts are in isolation.

When we went into lockdown March 25, all people over 70 were told to stay home and were given priority for food deliveries etc, therefore very few have caught the virus. The majority of covid cases have been in people 20-40 age range, who have recovered without being hospitalised. So far there have only been 5 deaths and they've all been elderly people with pre-existing conditions. Four of them were from the same rest home :weep:

Panicattacka
13-04-20, 13:46
If the cases of covid are contained or stamped out then, Winter won't make any difference. The director general of health commented today that there will be hardly any respiratory illnesses (including 'flu and colds) around the community as everyone has been isolating in lock down. This means that if someone had a respiratory illness before of during the lockdown of 4-6 weeks, they would not be contagious after this time. Anyone with a cold or flu symptoms now is asked to get tested for covid and stay in lockdown for another 2 weeks, if they test positive, they will be in an enforced quarantine for 2 weeks.
Also with our borders closed (and returning NZers in quarantine for 2 weeks), no virus's will be imported or transmitted.

NZ is so fortunate to have very rigid controls at present and has made a lot of ground. Our number of active cases are declining and the number of those recovered are rising. Sadly there will be more deaths as covid has got into a couple of rest homes where there are elderly, vulnerable people. Some are already in hospital with staff from the rest homes and other contacts are in isolation.

When we went into lockdown March 25, all people over 70 were told to stay home and were given priority for food deliveries etc, therefore very few have caught the virus. The majority of covid cases have been in people 20-40 age range, who have recovered without being hospitalised. So far there have only been 5 deaths and they've all been elderly people with pre-existing conditions. Four of them were from the same rest home :weep:

Now we know why all those billionaire ba$tards fled there. If you find any cowering in their bunkers, seal the exits for us would ya? Thanks.

WiseMonkey
13-04-20, 22:46
Now we know why all those billionaire ba$tards fled there. If you find any cowering in their bunkers, seal the exits for us would ya? Thanks.

Lol, fake news but love it, bet they snuck in on the container ships and brought the covid with them ... ba$tards! :whistles:

phil06
13-04-20, 22:51
So it looks like 3 more weeks then a phased return to normality

Panicattacka
14-04-20, 02:17
Lol, fake news but love it, bet they snuck in on the container ships and brought the covid with them ... ba$tards! :whistles:

It's not fake news. And they fly in on private jets.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/120623161/billionaire-bunkers-nz-amongst-places-where-elite-may-ride-out-coronavirus

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-20, 04:13
I have a nice little place in Hobbiton. It's mostly pretty quiet but sometimes tourists come and ask to see my ring https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/lordoftherings/h14048.gif

Lolalee1
14-04-20, 04:56
I have a nice little place in Hobbiton. It's mostly pretty quiet but sometimes tourists come and ask to see my ring https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/lordoftherings/h14048.gif

Ha!Ha!Ha! Forget Hobbiton I am going to Antartica the only place on Earth without Covid:yesyes:
i will sneak onto our new ice breaker,just like the passengers off the many cruise incubators snuck off at our ports.

Lolalee1
14-04-20, 04:57
So it looks like 3 more weeks then a phased return to normality

I doubt that it’s way too soon

WiseMonkey
14-04-20, 07:08
It's not fake news. And they fly in on private jets.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/120623161/billionaire-bunkers-nz-amongst-places-where-elite-may-ride-out-coronavirus

Yes it is fake! There are some wealthy people from overseas living in New Zealand but they don't have bunkers, that's absolute rubbish. Some have farms and those living in the South Island (which is prone to earthquakes) certainly wouldn't build bunkers down there!!

I do remember some talk about this topic going back 15-20 years ago and I guess if enough people believe it, a newspaper will run with it. Shania Twain had a luxury lodge in the South Island when she was married to her first husband... they didn't have a bunker!

Lolalee1
14-04-20, 10:46
:roflmao:
Geezus,honestly where do they come up with this shite,my rich old uncle and Jerry haven’t got a bunker there mum would have told me.
Thats it WM I will definitely head over and build a bunker and fill it with baked beans:wacko:

Pamplemousse
14-04-20, 10:55
For those of us who REALLY hate having their personal space invaded, this is a blessing. It also shows in supermarkets those people who have no idea of it. I am considering carrying a 2 metre length of drain pipe in shops and prodding people who get too close, like the masked mother/son-in-law incapable of observing a one-way system and darting about because their list was written in a specific order and were too dense to read the list and check what they needed. :curse:

Lolalee1
14-04-20, 11:05
For those of us who REALLY hate having their personal space invaded, this is a blessing. It also shows in supermarkets those people who have no idea of it. I am considering carrying a 2 metre length of drain pipe in shops and prodding people who get too close, like the masked mother/son-in-law incapable of observing a one-way system and darting about because their list was written in a specific order and were too dense to read the list and check what they needed. :curse:

You have given me an idea gunna get a cattle prod and poke people in the bum:yesyes:
If I had my way it would be 10 bloody k’s away.:D

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-20, 20:32
Ha!Ha!Ha! Forget Hobbiton I am going to Antartica the only place on Earth without Covid:yesyes:
i will sneak onto our new ice breaker,just like the passengers off the many cruise incubators snuck off at our ports.

Get yourself snug in amongst all those penguins, that will baffle Attenborough next time he's down there https://yoursmiles.org/bsmile/animals/b0627.jpg

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-20, 20:34
Yes it is fake! There are some wealthy people from overseas living in New Zealand but they don't have bunkers, that's absolute rubbish. Some have farms and those living in the South Island (which is prone to earthquakes) certainly wouldn't build bunkers down there!!

I do remember some talk about this topic going back 15-20 years ago and I guess if enough people believe it, a newspaper will run with it. Shania Twain had a luxury lodge in the South Island when she was married to her first husband... they didn't have a bunker!

"Man, I feel like a bunker" :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-20, 20:37

Annoying isn't it? I was in Tesco today and two separate blokes were just going wherever they wanted. Worse though last week two of the staff were (one doing her shopping not following the arrows and another squeezing between people at an intersection rather than wait).

I wonder whether these people are just idiots or think this is all a hoax or think they can do what they want like those sunbathing idiots in parks?

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-20, 20:38
You have given me an idea gunna get a cattle prod and poke people in the bum:yesyes:
If I had my way it would be 10 bloody k’s away.:D

:yesyes:

I think I'm just going to stop washing. That might work :yesyes:

WiseMonkey
14-04-20, 22:32
Geezus,honestly where do they come up with this shite,my rich old uncle and Jerry haven’t got a bunker there mum would have told me.
Thats it WM I will definitely head over and build a bunker and fill it with baked beans:wacko:

...and I'll throw in a few tonne of kumara!! :roflmao:

WiseMonkey
14-04-20, 22:42
"Man, I feel like a bunker" :whistles:

Terry :roflmao:

Lolalee1
15-04-20, 05:50
Get yourself snug in amongst all those penguins, that will baffle Attenborough next time he's down there https://yoursmiles.org/bsmile/animals/b0627.jpg

I have a tuxedo :roflmao:

Pamplemousse
15-04-20, 11:25
There now seems to be a new phenomenon - "social distance shaming".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52230081

WiseMonkey
16-04-20, 04:00

I think the cattle prod would be more effective than the tape :roflmao: but seriously people are just frightened and coming out of a complete lockdown is scary stuff as it carries a lot of personal responsibility with it. There are always those that will go 'over the top' and it's understandable ... as our PM says 'be kind' :)

Pamplemousse
16-04-20, 10:48
Well, this is the latest thought here:

Coronavirus: Some social distancing needed 'until vaccine found' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52308201)

WiseMonkey
16-04-20, 10:54
Well, this is the latest thought here:

Coronavirus: Some social distancing needed 'until vaccine found' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52308201)

This would be correct or until the virus is completely stamped out (which takes a long time in lockdown in the first place).

glassgirlw
16-04-20, 11:30
Yesterday, my state in the US extended lockdown until May 15th. We’ve been pretty fortunate in comparison to some states, with “only” roughly 1500 cases and 68 deaths so far. The lockdown is definitely putting a strain on those that were furloughed or laid off. But maybe it’s helped keep our case count down? It’s hard to say.

Pamplemousse
16-04-20, 12:33
Yesterday, my state in the US extended lockdown until May 15th. We’ve been pretty fortunate in comparison to some states, with “only” roughly 1500 cases and 68 deaths so far. The lockdown is definitely putting a strain on those that were furloughed or laid off. But maybe it’s helped keep our case count down? It’s hard to say.

And yet you have a President who thinks he can override what the State Governors say: what doesn't he understand about your constitution?

Never mind the welfare cheques that will have "Donald J. Trump" all over them - a shameless piece of electioneering if ever I saw it.

glassgirlw
16-04-20, 17:40
And yet you have a President who thinks he can override what the State Governors say: what doesn't he understand about your constitution?

Never mind the welfare cheques that will have "Donald J. Trump" all over them - a shameless piece of electioneering if ever I saw it.

oh he’s an absolute moron. At the beginning of all this he refused to shut down the country, saying it was up to the states to handle. Now with some states talking about how to reopen things, he says he and he alone has that “absolute power”. He’s an idiot and I think there’s a really good majority of us that are seriously embarrassed every time he opens his mouth. I’m praying he doesn’t get re-elected in November but I’m not sure the other side has a strong enough candidate to beat him. Guess we’ll see.

WiseMonkey
16-04-20, 21:35
oh he’s an absolute moron. At the beginning of all this he refused to shut down the country, saying it was up to the states to handle. Now with some states talking about how to reopen things, he says he and he alone has that “absolute power”. He’s an idiot and I think there’s a really good majority of us that are seriously embarrassed every time he opens his mouth. I’m praying he doesn’t get re-elected in November but I’m not sure the other side has a strong enough candidate to beat him. Guess we’ll see.

Yes, hopefully this will be a wake up call for the USA although he still has a large fan/voter base who think he's a king and the next thing to God! The USA is a very divided nation, there are a lot of angry, disgruntled people and Trump says the words they wanted to hear, (although they are lies) and continues to do so.
I find it strange that any government that gets into power in the USA can change the states area boundaries so that voting can go in their favour! Actually the whole voter system is screwed and not a true representation of the people's wishes.
Looking in as an outsider, it appears that the only thing Trump has achieved is in taking the USA backwards in time, approx 50 years! I hope you get your wish of a Democratic president next time.

Lolalee1
17-04-20, 04:32
Everyday at his press conference he does backflips,the goose knew about the virus When he met with Pres,Xii in December he should of acted then.More than 5 million people flew out of China over Xmas and guess what the majority flew to America and other countries in Asia.
What a time to cut funding for W.H.O the man is an embarrassment.

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-20, 04:36
Yes, hopefully this will be a wake up call for the USA although he still has a large fan/voter base who think he's a king and the next thing to God! The USA is a very divided nation, there are a lot of angry, disgruntled people and Trump says the words they wanted to hear, (although they are lies) and continues to do so.
I find it strange that any government that gets into power in the USA can change the states area boundaries so that voting can go in their favour! Actually the whole voter system is screwed and not a true representation of the people's wishes.
Looking in as an outsider, it appears that the only thing Trump has achieved is in taking the USA backwards in time, approx 50 years! I hope you get your wish of a Democratic president next time.

Same in the UK. Many in Scotland want to breakaway because they feel ignored by Westminster. We have been feeling the same in the Midlands of England before I was born just you may often here talked about as the north being unhappy.

Our boundaries change to which follow a defined legal process trying to keep them representative. But then the voting system itself doesn't necessarily do that anyway depending on who you support.

It's easy to whip people up over the wrongs. It's also easy for the opposition to point out it's popularism. Both parties are guilt of causing the frustration the people left behind feel. Sometimes those people are going to get sick of being ignored and vote to shake up a system that doesn't care about them rather than vote in more of the same.

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-20, 04:40

Same here. We had 230 (hospital) diagnosed cases as of today with a population of around 225k (so a mere village compared to you guys over there! :biggrin:) and I count myself very lucky for that. I'm in the West Midlands but on the fringe rather than nearer the worst of it. God knows what I would do with elderly parents, one in the vulnerable category, if I was somewhere worse hit.

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-20, 04:41

Don't forget the police version with some of them bordering on the attitude of a certain ARP warden in Dads Army :winks:

WiseMonkey
17-04-20, 06:11
Same in the UK. Many in Scotland want to breakaway because they feel ignored by Westminster. We have been feeling the same in the Midlands of England before I was born just you may often here talked about as the north being unhappy.

Our boundaries change to which follow a defined legal process trying to keep them representative. But then the voting system itself doesn't necessarily do that anyway depending on who you support.

It's easy to whip people up over the wrongs. It's also easy for the opposition to point out it's popularism. Both parties are guilt of causing the frustration the people left behind feel. Sometimes those people are going to get sick of being ignored and vote to shake up a system that doesn't care about them rather than vote in more of the same.

Yes indeed, the UK was in my mind when I wrote this! We were in the UK in Sept/Oct 2014 just as Scotland had it's referendum on whether to leave the UK. While travelling through Scotland we saw all the billboards for it. In retrospect Scotland had a failure of nerve and voted to stay. We did notice a lot of discord about the state of the nation in UK when we visited our respective relatives, mine were in the South while my partner's came from the North, so yes differing views on things. There was talk of exiting the EU back then and its obvious disgruntlement had been bubbling away under the surface for a long time, not only about the EU but other issues as well.

Pamplemousse
17-04-20, 08:43
Don't forget the police version with some of them bordering on the attitude of a certain ARP warden in Dads Army :winks:

Mercifully, Plod has been issued with proper guidelines to follow now: not "we'll check your shopping to make sure there's nothing frivolous in there."

glassgirlw
17-04-20, 11:31
Same here. We had 230 (hospital) diagnosed cases as of today with a population of around 225k (so a mere village compared to you guys over there! :biggrin:) and I count myself very lucky for that. I'm in the West Midlands but on the fringe rather than nearer the worst of it. God knows what I would do with elderly parents, one in the vulnerable category, if I was somewhere worse hit.

I’ve never really thought of my parents as “elderly” as they’re in their 60’s. Still a vulnerable category though and I worry about them. My dad was in Palm Springs California for the winter when this all started. They normally come back to the Midwest in March but chose to stay put thank goodness. But they’re flying back end of April, so that has me concerned.

My grandmother is 88 and in an assisted living facility. I worry daily that this will somehow make it inside her facility and she’ll get sick. They’ve done a good job not having visitors but the staff still have to come and go. They’re doing their best to take the necessary precautions.

pulisa
17-04-20, 14:05
I'm 61 and prefer to think of myself as anything but "vulnerable"!

It must be very worrying to have loved ones in assisted living/care homes though because as you say, glassgirlw, you can't control the staffing element. My son has steered clear of CV despite being on a hospital ward with confirmed cases though and has been home for over a week (self-isolating) and is still physically well so either he's been lucky or the precautions were spot on. Your grandmother's facility will be doing their very best to keep residents well but I completely understand your anxiety and worry.

glassgirlw
17-04-20, 15:05
Oh I’m so glad to hear that your son has avoided the illness so far. I pray that continues for him. I know if must be a lot for you to handle but I’m glad he’s home and safe.

My grandma is a tough lady. She’s survived three bouts of cancer (including lung cancer in the 80’s where she had to have a 1/4 of one lung removed!!!), a year long episode where she was septic on and off after a gallbladder surgery, and two deaths of spouses. I so admire her strength and fortitude and pray we have her with us for many years yet to come!!

pulisa
17-04-20, 18:04
She'll certainly shrug off mere CV then if in fact she were unlucky enough to contract it! And let's hope that she doesn't and stays safe and resilient amongst her friends in a protective facility. She sounds a very wonderful lady and someone you cherish in your life..You must start thinking about celebrations for her 90th once all this is over!

My Dad had he lived would have been 99 on Sunday..I do so miss his wisdom and strength. I wish your grandma many more years of good health and happiness x

Lencoboy
18-04-20, 17:10

It does most certainly feel like, especially over the past ten years or so, that 'edgy' politics has become increasingly cool, particularly our vote to leave the EU and Trump and Co in the USA being voted in (both back in 2016). It does also seem like an 'anything goes' attitude has developed with regards to fake news, conspiracy theories, things that may be harmful to children and the vulnerable etc, where they are simply defended in the name of free expression, civil liberty and democracy, and the powers that be seemingly can't be bothered to deal with them any longer. There are also those (across the entire political and social spectra) who seem to revel in playing the 'blame game', ie, using the general stresses and strains of modern-day life as a 'smokescreen' for and to justify their own personal inadequacies. I personally think the stable door had been left open and the horse had already bolted by about 2000 onwards regardless of who was in power. And just look at those selfish eejits who have deliberately been flouting the lockdown rules who will probably have brushed all this under the carpet by the start of 2022. Probably the very same people who brushed the Global Financial Crisis under the carpet from about 2012 onwards!!

Rant over.

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-20, 21:50
It does most certainly feel like, especially over the past ten years or so, that 'edgy' politics has become increasingly cool, particularly our vote to leave the EU and Trump and Co in the USA being voted in (both back in 2016). It does also seem like an 'anything goes' attitude has developed with regards to fake news, conspiracy theories, things that may be harmful to children and the vulnerable etc, where they are simply defended in the name of free expression, civil liberty and democracy, and the powers that be seemingly can't be bothered to deal with them any longer. There are also those (across the entire political and social spectra) who seem to revel in playing the 'blame game', ie, using the general stresses and strains of modern-day life as a 'smokescreen' for and to justify their own personal inadequacies. I personally think the stable door had been left open and the horse had already bolted by about 2000 onwards regardless of who was in power. And just look at those selfish eejits who have deliberately been flouting the lockdown rules who will probably have brushed all this under the carpet by the start of 2022. Probably the very same people who brushed the Global Financial Crisis under the carpet from about 2012 onwards!!

Rant over.

The whole alt right movement in the US was endlessly talked about. It seems to have fizzled out in our press at last. Add to that Farage and much newspaper bleating about the risks of a rising far right, when compared to many EU nations ours is nothing, and it's like we had some bogeymen to point at rather than look the issues in the face - people weren't happy being ignored whether the government were a blue tie or a red one.

We had expensive reviews of the press but how many has really changed? And didn't Levison 2 get buried?

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-20, 21:55
I’ve never really thought of my parents as “elderly” as they’re in their 60’s. Still a vulnerable category though and I worry about them. My dad was in Palm Springs California for the winter when this all started. They normally come back to the Midwest in March but chose to stay put thank goodness. But they’re flying back end of April, so that has me concerned.

My grandmother is 88 and in an assisted living facility. I worry daily that this will somehow make it inside her facility and she’ll get sick. They’ve done a good job not having visitors but the staff still have to come and go. They’re doing their best to take the necessary precautions.

I'm glad mine aren't in a care home. There's always that worry there best won't be enough and there can be many frail people in them.

How can we not worry about them with something so uncontrollable? It's on natural we feel this way regardless of anxiety.

Your grandmother sounds a real tough one and I hope she is around for years to come reminding you age doesn't mean you still can't kick illness up the bum!

Fishmanpa
19-04-20, 00:03
I guess the OP has moved onto another worry? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Lolalee1
19-04-20, 04:59
Yep Weak:D

Lencoboy
19-04-20, 08:36
The whole alt right movement in the US was endlessly talked about. It seems to have fizzled out in our press at last. Add to that Farage and much newspaper bleating about the risks of a rising far right, when compared to many EU nations ours is nothing, and it's like we had some bogeymen to point at rather than look the issues in the face - people weren't happy being ignored whether the government were a blue tie or a red one.

We had expensive reviews of the press but how many has really changed? And didn't Levison 2 get buried?

That odious Rupert Murdoch and those of his ilk almost always seem to get off scot-free. It does seem at times as if our legal system just can't be bothered and the easiest option is to just ignore issues and sweep them under the carpet. That's been the case with many political and social issues over the years, especially historical child abuse (though that's all for another thread).

Yes it does seem that all the talk of a rising hard-right in the media has suddenly petered out and the likes of Nigel Farage, Tommy Robinson and the EDL, etc, now seem to pale into insignificance, compared to a few years back when they were all the rage in both the media and everyday conversation. I do wonder if certain factions of the alt-right have now moved on from their anti-EU propaganda and the like and are now using this Coronavirus pandemic to push their extremist agendas, such as the hysterical raving lunatic CTs about 5G masts allegedly spreading the virus and the subsequent burning down of such masts, and of course the general anti-Chinese sentiment?

Pamplemousse
19-04-20, 10:58

Yes, Leveson 2 was conveniently buried, as have been the Russia and Arcuri reports. And it wasn't so long ago that we had a far-right organisation proscribed in the UK; National Action.

The edgelords still have their voices though; Farage has a daily radio show.

Lencoboy
19-04-20, 12:51
Yes, Leveson 2 was conveniently buried, as have been the Russia and Arcuri reports. And it wasn't so long ago that we had a far-right organisation proscribed in the UK; National Action.

The edgelords still have their voices though; Farage has a daily radio show.

Likewise, that equally odious Andrew Wakefield is still pursuing his rabid anti-vaxx (or possibly, to be more precise, anti-autism) agenda outside of this country with a passion
and like Murdoch and his ilk, gets off scot-free in the name of democracy and free expression, despite his lunatic CTs having been repeatedly disproved time and time again by the 'real' experts. IMO it all smacks of something resembling some kind of totally insane religious cult!!

And we have had plenty of extremist 'protest'-type groups emerge worldwide over the past decade or so, such as the EDL/Britain First/National Action, Black Lives Matter (BLM), Yellow Vesters (mostly in France but also in other parts of mainland Europe, and even attempted in Central London in late 2018), radical Vegan groups hijacking steak houses and most recently, Extinction Rebellion (XR).

Strangely, many of those groups I have mentioned above barely seem to receive any media attention any more, as the so-called 'virtue signalling' moves onto the next big 'fad' that becomes all the rage for a few months or so and then dies down, and so on, and so forth.

Pamplemousse
19-04-20, 13:02
Well, when Murdoch uses the Sunday Times to do a number on Johnson, you know things are bad.

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

KK77
19-04-20, 13:20
Likewise, that equally odious Andrew Wakefield is still pursuing his rabid anti-vaxx (or possibly, to be more precise, anti-autism) agenda outside of this country with a passion
and like Murdoch and his ilk, gets off scot-free in the name of democracy and free expression, despite his lunatic CTs having been repeatedly disproved time and time again by the 'real' experts. IMO it all smacks of something resembling some kind of totally insane religious cult!!

And we have had plenty of extremist 'protest'-type groups emerge worldwide over the past decade or so, such as the EDL/Britain First/National Action, Black Lives Matter (BLM), Yellow Vesters (mostly in France but also in other parts of mainland Europe, and even attempted in Central London in late 2018), radical Vegan groups hijacking steak houses and most recently, Extinction Rebellion (XR).

Strangely, many of those groups I have mentioned above barely seem to receive any media attention any more, as the so-called 'virtue signalling' moves onto the next big 'fad' that becomes all the rage for a few months or so and then dies down, and so on, and so forth.

You complain about "conspiracy theories" re 5G and COVID-19 but freely vent yourself about other "conspiracies" - eg, vaccinations and Andrew Wakefield (not the first time).

I'm not going to get into the whole vaccination argument but are you aware that in the US alone $4.1billion has been paid out by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Prog (which has a very high bar for payouts) to people whose lives have been changed forever due to vaccines, many of whom were left paralysed.

Please be tolerant of others if you wish to rant about your own "pet hates".

Lencoboy
19-04-20, 13:31
You complain about "conspiracy theories" re 5G and COVID-19 but freely vent yourself about other "conspiracies" - eg, vaccinations and Andrew Wakefield (not the first time).

I'm not going to get into the whole vaccination argument but are you aware that in the US alone $4.1billion has been paid out by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Prog (which has a very high bar for payouts) to people whose lives have been changed forever due to vaccines, many of whom were left paralysed.

Please be tolerant of others if you wish to rant about your own "pet hates".

My sincere apologies.

phil06
19-04-20, 17:11
I read social distancing could continue for some time but then I seen Daily mail mention it may only go onto May/June.

pulisa
19-04-20, 17:52
Well we all know that the Daily Fail never gets it wrong, don't we?

Pamplemousse
19-04-20, 18:01

No, never.

phil06
19-04-20, 18:36

Problem is the different dates flying around and misinformation or fake news. The government should do more and be more clear instead of media speculation.

pulisa
19-04-20, 19:44
The Daily Fail survives on misinformation and fake news-that's why it's so popular. It's in its element at the moment. Why do you read it, Phil?

How on earth can the government make an announcement at this stage? Can you imagine the uproar if they have to change their plans?

MyNameIsTerry
19-04-20, 21:53
The Daily Fail survives on misinformation and fake news-that's why it's so popular. It's in its element at the moment. Why do you read it, Phil?

How on earth can the government make an announcement at this stage? Can you imagine the uproar if they have to change their plans?

Anything they hint at will just get jumped on and off goes the cycle of media speculation again. Then they spend important time having to address nonsense invented by various media outlets rather than the more important job we need them on right now.

WiseMonkey
20-04-20, 00:29
Anything they hint at will just get jumped on and off goes the cycle of media speculation again. Then they spend important time having to address nonsense invented by various media outlets rather than the more important job we need them on right now.

Yes, the same has happened down here. Last Thursday the PM gave a broad outline of what businesses could open and what they could do etc under Level 3 (which is a step down from L4 lockdown). She (PM) then gave mixed messages about the re-opening of early childhood centres and schools (which is unlike her) and the media are having a field day although the actual day of dropping to Level 3 had not been announced!
That announcement is being made at 4 pm today (20/04) so there will be a huge media frenzy after that (which is to be expected).

pulisa
20-04-20, 08:08
I think there should be no room for any doubt regarding official announcements. No mixed messages, no room for "manoeuvre"..We all have seen how interpretation of the guidelines can be manipulated to suit the interests of individuals.

phil06
22-04-20, 21:35
I read the other day it was June now they are saying the whole year. If planes, bowling alleys, shops have to social distance all year I struggle to see how they can make much money especially if plane seats have to sit empty?

phil06
22-04-20, 22:10
And if they don’t find a vaccine are they gonna expect us to social distance forever and never have large gatherings football matches or festivals again?

WiseMonkey
22-04-20, 22:33
And if they don’t find a vaccine are they gonna expect us to social distance forever and never have large gatherings football matches or festivals again?

Well what is your alternative? This is life and death for many people, you need to stop playing the 'pity me' card and think of others and the bigger picture.

phil06
22-04-20, 22:38
Well what is your alternative? This is life and death for many people, you need to stop playing the 'pity me' card and think of others and the bigger picture.

So if they don’t find a vaccine you suggest never playing football in front of crowds or tennis or rugby? Or festivals never again in our lifetime? That would be bonkers

Gary A
23-04-20, 02:30
So if they don’t find a vaccine you suggest never playing football in front of crowds or tennis or rugby? Or festivals never again in our lifetime? That would be bonkers

Eventually we would develop so called herd immunity due to the majority of the population becoming infected and developing immunity.

There will also be drug therapies available which will treat the disease far better than anything we have right now.

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-20, 04:43

It won't come to that. But if it did would the lives of other people mean more than watching football or cheering a group on a stage? It's a no brainer to me...:shrug:

Lencoboy
26-04-20, 16:54
I read the other day it was June now they are saying the whole year. If planes, bowling alleys, shops have to social distance all year I struggle to see how they can make much money especially if plane seats have to sit empty?

The term 'social distancing' doesn't mean full-scale lockdown though.

Pamplemousse
26-04-20, 17:32

Sounds like bliss to me. No more drunken dolts infesting town centres, pubs, trains and railway stations ever again.

BlueIris
26-04-20, 17:40
Don't you think that's a little misanthropic, Pamplemousse?

whispershadow
26-04-20, 18:02
I dont think social distancing will last forever. Eventually i reckon there will be a riot.

Lencoboy
26-04-20, 18:32
I dont think social distancing will last forever. Eventually i reckon there will be a riot.

Personally I think rioting is a waste of time. Let's face it, those who took part in our city disturbances back in August 2011 didn't really gain anything positive in the long run from all the mass brawling, arson, wrecking and pilfering that probably caused far more damage to many people's livelihoods in just the space of a few days than the Global Financial Crisis caused during the preceding three years.

Also it will only just cause even more fear and bad feeling that is already rampant within our society and inadvertently pour down the drain a lot of the positive, non-violent things many of us have been trying to do for the good of our communities, especially fundraising for the NHS and of course the 'Clap For Carers'. thing every Thursday.

Pamplemousse
26-04-20, 19:33
Don't you think that's a little misanthropic, Pamplemousse?

Nope. I have a long-standing hatred of football supporters that goes back decades.

MyNameIsTerry
26-04-20, 20:45
Personally I think rioting is a waste of time. Let's face it, those who took part in our city disturbances back in August 2011 didn't really gain anything positive in the long run from all the mass brawling, arson, wrecking and pilfering that probably caused far more damage to many people's livelihoods in just the space of a few days than the Global Financial Crisis caused during the preceding three years.

Also it will only just cause even more fear and bad feeling that is already rampant within our society and inadvertently pour down the drain a lot of the positive, non-violent things many of us have been trying to do for the good of our communities, especially fundraising for the NHS and of course the 'Clap For Carers'. thing every Thursday.

A lot of those idiots were anarchists or just idiots who like a fight...or a new TV :winks:

Interestingly they are seeing idiots protesting in Germany. Some about loss of freedom, some just wanting things back to normal. Some protesters not even social distancing which makes me wonder if they are part of the hoax crowd or the don't give a crap crowd.

We can wait and see if the same idiots start it up in London since we have plenty of those types over here.

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 08:41
We can wait and see if the same idiots start it up in London since we have plenty of those types over here.

Apparently 'lockdownend' is trending on Twitter at the moment. I suppose there's only so long the Great Unwashed can live without pubs, nail bars and shoes.

When did we become so selfish, so stupid?

BlueIris
27-04-20, 08:58
Apparently 'lockdownend' is trending on Twitter at the moment. I suppose there's only so long the Great Unwashed can live without pubs, nail bars and shoes.

Or, alternatively, people are missing human contact. While I understand the frustration displayed on this thread, I find a lot of the comments here quite depressing in their general lack of empathy for people.

Gary A
27-04-20, 09:03

I bet you’re fun at a party.

WiseMonkey
27-04-20, 09:26
A lot of those idiots were anarchists or just idiots who like a fight...or a new TV :winks:

Interestingly they are seeing idiots protesting in Germany. Some about loss of freedom, some just wanting things back to normal. Some protesters not even social distancing which makes me wonder if they are part of the hoax crowd or the don't give a crap crowd.

Well, these days it's all about instant gratification and many people are just plain selfish (the don't give a f**k type) and just out for themselves rather than thinking about the good of others (the majority). No wonder there is mayhem in so many countries! We have a few down here too but no protests, although a couple of pillocks brought lawsuits against the PM (for making them go into lockdown for a month) which the judge immediately dismissed. :doh:

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 09:28
I bet you’re fun at a party.

I never go to parties. Hate them, have done for many years. In counselling some years ago I was offered a choice of addressing my social anxiety or my health anxiety, and I chose the latter as it was of much more concern to me.

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 09:31
Or, alternatively, people are missing human contact.

We have telephones. We have Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, FaceTime. Unless you mean actual physical contact, your argument is bunk.

BlueIris
27-04-20, 09:39
We have telephones. We have Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, FaceTime. Unless you mean actual physical contact, your argument is bunk.

Yes, I do mean actual physical contact. People need people, and videoconferencing is a very poor substitute. I worry that people make unwise choices, but I also worry about people who seem to be enjoying the opportunity to carp about their fellow humans. Goodness knows I'm an introvert myself, but even being tech-savvy and with somebody I care about at home, I still miss seeing other real live humans on a daily basis.

Gary A
27-04-20, 09:43
I never go to parties. Hate them, have done for many years.

Well being a mental health issue, I’m not going to criticise you for that, but do try to remember that not everyone feels that way and it’s not really fair of you to call people “the great unwashed” just because they happen to enjoy things that you personally don’t.

Me, I just miss going for a quiet drink with my dad and not having my partner assault my hair to keep it from going crazy. It’s normal human behaviour to interact with other people face to face, we are social creatures.

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 09:49
Speaking of 'social distancing'... well, it's the Daily Mail.

https://twitter.com/jamescracknell/status/1254395457033379843

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 09:53
Well being a mental health issue, I’m not going to criticise you for that, but do try to remember that not everyone feels that way and it’s not really fair of you to call people “the great unwashed” just because they happen to enjoy things that you personally don’t.

Me, I just miss going for a quiet drink with my dad and not having my partner assault my hair to keep it from going crazy. It’s normal human behaviour to interact with other people face to face, we are social creatures.

Some of us are social creatures. Maybe ten years of widowhood has had more of an impact than I thought, but I really don't need to be in physical contact with others.

BlueIris
27-04-20, 09:58
That still doesn't mean there's any need to call names. I hate to say it, but judging by your attitude it would maybe help you to be in contact with people a little more.

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 10:05
That still doesn't mean there's any need to call names. I hate to say it, but judging by your attitude it would maybe help you to be in contact with people a little more.

Why should I waste what little time I have remaining on this planet with people that I don't like? Which in turn makes me think - why am I wasting my time on here?

Gary A
27-04-20, 10:09
Why should I waste what little time I have remaining on this planet with people that I don't like? Which in turn makes me think - why am I wasting my time on here?

Because generally people help. I know I personally have tried to cheer you up when you’ve hit what appeared to be a bit of a low point. I’m sure others have as well.

Your life is your life and if you don’t want to interact with others then so be it, but you’re absolutely in a minority there.

Pamplemousse
27-04-20, 10:30
Because generally people help. I know I personally have tried to cheer you up when you’ve hit what appeared to be a bit of a low point. I’m sure others have as well.

Your life is your life and if you don’t want to interact with others then so be it, but you’re absolutely in a minority there.

Strangely, I prefer encounters like this (and your recent help has not gone unappreciated, you should know). I feel more in control.

Gary A
27-04-20, 10:56
Strangely, I prefer encounters like this (and your recent help has not gone unappreciated, you should know). I feel more in control.

That’s fine, again, nobody is trying to tell you what you should or shouldn’t like or how best to live your life. You should do what makes you happy.

The point I’m making is that you’re almost at a point of sneering and deeming people for desiring their basic human instincts. I seen a post yesterday from you calling all football fans drunken louts, which, as someone who attends football matches every second week, I find to be a completely unfair sweeping generalisation.

You then today called people the “great unwashed” all because they had a desire to meet other folk for a drink or get a haircut.

I agree with an earlier post that perhaps getting a bit more social interaction might stop you from directing such bitterness toward others for doing nothing more than living a life that is different from yours.

pulisa
27-04-20, 14:18

I'm not so sure about that..There are plenty of people who are perfectly content in their own company and often feel forced into "being sociable" for appearances sake.

ankietyjoe
27-04-20, 14:35
I think that people can feel pressured to 'be sociable' in a way they're not comfortable with.

Despite spending a lot of my 20's either drunk or high, it was never my social preference, it was just what was happening around me. I never felt pressured to partake, I just did anyway.

Nowadays I don't enjoy the company of people who are drunk or high at all. I don't mind them doing what they want to do, I just don't want to be around it. I find it endlessly tedious.

I think that drinking to the point of incapacity is far too prevalent in the UK these days, and it's not as socially acceptable in most other countries on the planet, so in some respects I understand what Pampelmousse is saying. I prefer a far more sober, low brow form of socialising.

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-20, 16:08

Some people are just venting frustration. Take things away from people and they get upset. There are a lot of entitled people about who live in a bubble and a little bit of hardship is a massive issue to them.

It's natural to feel frustration from this but then your rational side kicks in as you think about why you are doing it. And you can always turn on your TV and watch much worse hardship on any charity appeal advert if you fancy a bit of grounding.

But as others are saying there is another side. People have been forced to isolate themselves from caring for their families. Thy couldn't even see their loved ones dying on wards.

pulisa
27-04-20, 19:51
Of course this is the cruel side of social distancing and a truly tragic and ghastly situation to be in..

Many of the entitled are just whingeing about their concept of "hardship" however which can't ever equate to the trauma being suffered by bereaved relatives or by vulnerable and elderly people being denied vital contact with their loved ones. I fully understand Pamplemousse's anger which is aimed at those who just haven't got a clue as to what true suffering means and are not prepared to make small sacrifices for the greater good of the country.

phil06
30-04-20, 04:15
Trump says rally will continue and people will get close no social distancing interesting to see this response vs Europe.

WiseMonkey
30-04-20, 06:50
Trump says rally will continue and people will get close no social distancing interesting to see this response vs Europe.

We can all see what's happening in USA, just look at the number of covid19 cases and subsequent deaths.:weep:
These rallies comprise of about 35% of American's populace (DT's fan base) who will follow him blindly without question ... consequences to follow :doh:

Pamplemousse
30-04-20, 10:19
We can all see what's happening in USA, just look at the number of covid19 cases and subsequent deaths.:weep:
These rallies comprise of about 35% of American's populace (DT's fan base) who will follow him blindly without question ... consequences to follow :doh:

And you can buy a coin to commemorate it, from the White House Gift Shop no less.

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/covid-heroes.htm

Lolalee1
30-04-20, 10:38
You gotta laugh at that.LOL:D

WiseMonkey
30-04-20, 11:24
And you can buy a coin to commemorate it, from the White House Gift Shop no less.

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/covid-heroes.htm

Only in the land of the free!! :money::WTF:

whome
30-04-20, 13:23
Good morning WiseMonkey. I am a President Trump supporter but I won't be at any rallies and I hope people use common sense for the sake of safety.

That being said, I am sure people will turn out and the media will salivate all over their shoes.

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally won't be following anyone blindly The media leads people to believe that we DT supporters are all the same (leads being the key word there). Not true. Please keep that in mind. We are not all so bad [emoji6]. My reply isn't meant to be challenging to you at all just my take on the matter I hope you're well and staying safe in these crazy days we are living in [emoji4]

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

WiseMonkey
01-05-20, 00:57
Good morning WiseMonkey. I am a President Trump supporter but I won't be at any rallies and I hope people use common sense for the sake of safety.

That being said, I am sure people will turn out and the media will salivate all over their shoes.

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally won't be following anyone blindly The media leads people to believe that we DT supporters are all the same (leads being the key word there). Not true. Please keep that in mind. We are not all so bad [emoji6]. My reply isn't meant to be challenging to you at all just my take on the matter I hope you're well and staying safe in these crazy days we are living in [emoji4]

Your take on the matter is a very sensible approach :) These rallies shouldn't be permitted as they're putting lives at risk, everyone other than essential workers should be isolating at home. In a time of crisis this isn't about democracy, it's about being pragmatic and doing the right thing for the good of the populace. Leadership by example should come from the top.

We in New Zealand are doing well thanks and most of us are still isolating at home. As of Tuesday 75% of businesses are now up and running (and observing social distancing and other safety measures) and the rest of us are working online from home. Early childhood centres and schools are open for children of essential workers. We are in our thirteenth day of having single digit numbers of new covid19 cases, all of which are in contained clusters.

Take care, stay safe :)

Pamplemousse
01-05-20, 10:28

In which case, perhaps more sensible Republicans like you might like to have a word in the ears of those who entered Michigan's state capitol FULLY ARMED as a 'protest'. Mind you, being white probably stopped them getting shot.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MichiganProtest&src=trend_click

whome
02-05-20, 12:26
Your take on the matter is a very sensible approach :) These rallies shouldn't be permitted as they're putting lives at risk, everyone other than essential workers should be isolating at home. In a time of crisis this isn't about democracy, it's about being pragmatic and doing the right thing for the good of the populace. Leadership by example should come from the top.

We in New Zealand are doing well thanks and most of us are still isolating at home. As of Tuesday 75% of businesses are now up and running (and observing social distancing and other safety measures) and the rest of us are working online from home. Early childhood centres and schools are open for children of essential workers. We are in our thirteenth day of having single digit numbers of new covid19 cases, all of which are in contained clusters.

This is great news and it's refreshing to me this morning! I cant wait to start hearing more and more reports of lower numbers. I live in one of the states who are first in going forward with opening back up slowly so it's a little tense wondering how this will affect our cases in the coming weeks. I do agree with you and pamplemousse that rallies, based on plain fact and science in this, are a terrible idea.

Pamplemousse, I missed the Michigan thing. I haven't been keeping up with the news in the past few days and we all know how much can be missed in a few short days in this day and time lol...I will go back and look this up.

Glad you are both well and im praying for peace and health for everyone this beautiful morning [emoji3526]

MyNameIsTerry
02-05-20, 21:48
Protests continue in some countries with some trying to apply social distancing:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8276993/German-extremists-hijack-1-protests-demand-end-lockdown.html

Some of the reasons behind the anti fascist lot and the conspiracy groups might sound familiar to some of us on here...:whistles:

WiseMonkey
03-05-20, 01:59
All I can say is that I'm glad to be living in New Zealand :)

phil06
03-05-20, 03:32
I read the 2m rule may get relaxed anyway so we might not not have social distancing as long as we think?

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-20, 04:34
All I can say is that I'm glad to be living in New Zealand :)

That's what I say about living in one of the much less interesting cities. No risk of marches or protests around here.

I hope the same elements over here don't start up protests in London. Given the mayor's recent track record on allowing groups to congregate on a bridge in front of the hospital our PM was in, for the clap for the NHS campaign, I suspect he will do nothing.

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-20, 04:35
I read the 2m rule may get relaxed anyway so we might not not have social distancing as long as we think?

We are very likely a long way off that. If we aren't even sure on reopening businesses I can't see social distancing relaxation being on the map.

But it might just be this year will live through stages of this. Things will return to normal.

Pamplemousse
03-05-20, 13:05
Well, the anti-lockdown protests have appeared in the UK.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1256622973294911492

Lencoboy
03-05-20, 15:14

Let's hope it doesn't all escalate into August 2011 all over again, which would be a total waste of time IMO, and of course those who were to get involved would be risking both spreading the virus even further and catching it themselves, and inadvertently prolonging the lockdown!!

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-20, 16:26
The anti Semitic fleas on the lockdown protester dog:

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/auschwitz-museum-nazi-sign-lockdown-protest-us_uk_5eaea0d9c5b639d6e577cce6?4q&guccounter=1

Pamplemousse
03-05-20, 17:11

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/auschwitz-museum-nazi-sign-lockdown-protest-us_uk_5eaea0d9c5b639d6e577cce6?4q&guccounter=1

I saw that elsewhere. Absolutely despicable.

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-20, 21:30
Where's a Sharknado when you need one...https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/fish/t107056.gif

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/california-lockdown-beaches-social-distancing-trump-coronavirus-a4424426.html

Pamplemousse
04-05-20, 00:03
Where's a Sharknado when you need one...https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/fish/t107056.gif

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/california-lockdown-beaches-social-distancing-trump-coronavirus-a4424426.html

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 04:53
Dear me. First it was the chief medical officer for Scotland visiting her second home until she got caught out and now the main influence from Imperial College London getting his booty calls :doh:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/05/uk-coronavirus-adviser-prof-neil-ferguson-resigns-after-breaking-lockdown-rules

WiseMonkey
06-05-20, 08:12
Dear me. First it was the chief medical officer for Scotland visiting her second home until she got caught out and now the main influence from Imperial College London getting his booty calls :doh:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/05/uk-coronavirus-adviser-prof-neil-ferguson-resigns-after-breaking-lockdown-rules

Yes, I read about the Prof's antics earlier on today, while he was self isolating with Covid19! His lover is a married woman who has an open marriage (whatever floats your boat) and her husband has recently been diagnosed with the virus ... now I wonder where that could've come from! :whistles: Of course the Prof's saying he made an error of judgement because he got caught ...oops :blush:

pulisa
06-05-20, 08:35
This virus is certainly exposing the cheats and liars! Tracing the source of infection can reveal more than you bargain for!

What an arrogant twit!

Lencoboy
06-05-20, 08:51

Seems like certain factions of our population who are hell-bent on confrontation anyway were/are simply spoiling for a ruck and their 'fifteen minutes of fame'.

COVID-19 and all things pertaining to it are just the latest in a long line of confrontation 'scapegoats'. Before it was Brexit and umpteen other things.

I clearly remember back in early 2009 a senior police supt (David somebody?) warning the nation of a 'summer of rage' to come with widespread disturbances not seen since the 80s, with the G20 summit in Central London in the early April of that year being the principal flashpoint. Apart from the protests at said summit, that so-called 'summer of rage' never really materialised. Yes we did have the infamous events over a few days in August 2011 of course, but that's another story.

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 14:37
Yes, I read about the Prof's antics earlier on today, while he was self isolating with Covid19! His lover is a married woman who has an open marriage (whatever floats your boat) and her husband has recently been diagnosed with the virus ... now I wonder where that could've come from! :whistles: Of course the Prof's saying he made an error of judgement because he got caught ...oops :blush:

He should have said it was a scientific experiment to test whether it can be transmitted via sexual contact. He wore his mask and gloves (maybe he does anyway :winks:) to stay safe :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 14:41
Seems like certain factions of our population who are hell-bent on confrontation anyway were/are simply spoiling for a ruck and their 'fifteen minutes of fame'.

COVID-19 and all things pertaining to it are just the latest in a long line of confrontation 'scapegoats'. Before it was Brexit and umpteen other things.

I clearly remember back in early 2009 a senior police supt (David somebody?) warning the nation of a 'summer of rage' to come with widespread disturbances not seen since the 80s, with the G20 summit in Central London in the early April of that year being the principal flashpoint. Apart from the protests at said summit, that so-called 'summer of rage' never really materialised. Yes we did have the infamous events over a few days in August 2011 of course, but that's another story.

Yep, it's allowing certain regular protest groups oxygen. Some complaining about loss of liberty and some grand plan to keep them locked in forever, some twisting it into their continual dislike of Jews, conspiracy theorists and those are just 'anti' anything 'the man'.

It's the arrogance of these types that will continue to spread it along with the don't care crowd. When someone is in the supermarket ignoring the one way travel and getting too close I often wonder which of these groups they belong too. Some even wear masks and gloves but I think they are more the I'm alright Jack crowd.

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 14:55

Idiots. Was it this lot?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/london-protest-coronavirus-lockdown-scotland-yard-a4430186.html%3famp

There was another one with a group of mothers and children on the swings.

Being the Met I expect being asked to disperse took some time as they have to be so polite and not upset people or they complain about their rights which the Met seem to be afraid of to the point of inertia these days. Really it just needs one copper shouting "oh, morons. F#ck off back home". :nicked:

Pamplemousse
06-05-20, 16:12
No, it wasn't.

Pamplemousse
06-05-20, 16:14
Yep, it's allowing certain regular protest groups oxygen. Some complaining about loss of liberty and some grand plan to keep them locked in forever, some twisting it into their continual dislike of Jews, conspiracy theorists and those are just 'anti' anything 'the man'.

It's the arrogance of these types that will continue to spread it along with the don't care crowd. When someone is in the supermarket ignoring the one way travel and getting too close I often wonder which of these groups they belong too. Some even wear masks and gloves but I think they are more the I'm alright Jack crowd.

Or "retired Brexiters" as I prefer to call them :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 22:00
Or "retired Brexiters" as I prefer to call them :roflmao:

Young Remainers, another step towards a revote.

In reality, it's all ages. Just idiots.

Idiots are always around but professional idiots like these protester types just make me think of the clowns licking cans in supermarkets (Some of them anyway like the conspiracy bunch).

WiseMonkey
07-05-20, 03:05
He should have said it was a scientific experiment to test whether it can be transmitted via sexual contact. He wore his mask and gloves (maybe he does anyway :winks:) to stay safe :roflmao:

Now that's a thought, no kissing with the mask but depends on where he puts the glove/s I guess :roflmao: