PDA

View Full Version : Losing my doctor ....

Krakers
12-10-07, 04:13
I s'pose this is going to sound like a quite selfish thread, but hey I don't start them often and I ask forgiveness for my self absorbtion.

The first doc I saw last year (August) threw every SSRI and Tricyclic at me you could imagine. They all made me feel worse and I couldn't even manage 3 days, let alone the 6 weeks it said some of them may take.

Thing is, I changed my doc in Feb this year and from day one he has understood all my problems. I've been up, I've been down, but he's been a lot more to me than the man who prescribes. We talk about various things and I feel we have a connection. It took me a long while to open up, and now I know I can tell him everything and not be judged.

He retires at the end of the month, and I'm at an absolute loss as to where to go next. Theres other GP's in my surgery, but no-one has taken the time, trouble, ear ache at times, but most of all the empathy to deal with me.

I don't want to do it all again, but needs must. I just wish that the one person I could always turn to would still be there.

Selfish I know, but knowing doesn't prevent the way I feel.

I'll make an appointment next week to see him. I'll certainly be taking a card in to express my gratitude. I suppose its the thought of starting over thats so scary and even worse not having a doc that understands.

I just feel like its me against the world again, and the weight of the world certainly has my 11 stone beat.

Krakers.

Karen
12-10-07, 04:20
I think it is totally understandably Krackers.

I've trouble finding a good doctor in the past too. I've now got a reallly supportive GP and I'd be lost without her so I understand what you are saying.

Karen

anxious
12-10-07, 08:45
I too understand that feeling. Last time i moved house i changed villages too and my main fear was finding a doctor i liked.
You do though :D

anx xx

jo61
12-10-07, 09:10
When you go to see him next week, suggest you print out your post and show it to him. Maybe he could make some suggestions and advise who you should see, maybe have a word with one of the other doctors in the practice to let them know how vulnerable you are. Unfortunately lots of GPs are not well versed in mental health problems but there are many who are.

:hugs:

strawberrie
12-10-07, 09:38
hi krakers, i'm sorry i havent got any advice for you, but just to let you know that i know exactly how you must feel. I have a fantastic gp who i always go to see, and i would be so distressed if she left. I really feel for you.

mag

samc100
12-10-07, 14:15
Well if you are selfish then I am too ! My Dr is on long-term sick and they'd better get better soon and back to that surgery. I really miss them and won't see one of the others - one needs to retire and stop dosing us all with castor oil, one is too busy to listen, one is scarey, one to gorgeous and get a waiting list miles long! And mine was just lovely.

nomorepanic
12-10-07, 18:32
Krakers - I had a fab doctor when I lived in Sheffield and he was the most kind and understanding doctor ever.

Then I moved down south and had to change.

It took me sometime to find one in the new practice that I had a rapport with it and I certainly would be lost if he went as the others are pretty rubbish with anxiety type issues.

Anyway just wanted to sympathise with you over this.

Dying_Swan
13-10-07, 11:29
Oh GP's....I always thought I was odd for finding this so important.

I recently moved about 2 miles from my last place....and was no longer in the same catchment area so had to change GP. I had a brilliant doctor, and begged him to let me stay! All to no avail, I'm now registered with a new practice. I went for my 'new patient check' and came out feeling patronized, annoyed, and a little depressed.

That said, last year I also moved. I went from one excellent GP to another. So, I know it's hard when you have someone who's so supportive, but you may well be lucky enough to find another one. If you don't get on with any of the others in the practice, it should be possible to change to another practice.

It's time I went and bought a decent 'thank you' card too.

Good luck and I hope you find someone who supports you as much as your current doctor

xxx :flowers:

Krakers
15-10-07, 04:32
Thank you all for your kind words.

I've spoken to a friends mum of mine today who is a long term agrophobic and anxiety sufferer (it makes it worse I'd never have guessed 2 years ago).

She's just moved, but apparantly I'm in the old catchment area for her previous GP. Although it means moving surgeries and all that entails, I'd rather talk to someone who doesn't look at me like I'm a sandwhich short of a picnic.

Will be seeing my own doc before my NHS referall on Thurs. Thats the one where they decide whether to keep on giving me nothing or decide they should cease my nil payment.

Gotta find the right words for the card yet. Been mulling a few over, but its difficult to express so much in such a short space.

I'll keep you all posted, and I'm relieved to know that others have overcome this problem. Thankyou all.

Krakers.