PDA

View Full Version : Asthma :(

snowflake293
11-04-20, 14:47
Ok guys I am freaking out again :( woke up feeling rubbish (a lot of it is pregnancy hormones to be honest) but I feel really sad over this whole virus thing in general.

I am worrying cause I have asthma. I manage it well, take one puff of my brown inhaler every morning and rarely need my blue inhaler unless I have a cough or cold. The problem is though, sometimes when I get a cough or cold it makes my asthma worse. I wouldn't say my asthma is severe, but its been bad enough for me to need a course of steroid tablets and I have had the odd attack where I feel I can't breathe (again, always when I am poorly).

I am doing my best to socially distance but still paranoid about getting it. I have a stuffy nose and a bit of a tickle in my throat today, my husband thinks its hayever (which I never usually get but apparently you can start getting in randomly in pregnancy) and I just feel horrible.

I think deep down, its fear. It always is with health anxiety stuff. For me, its cause I am due to give birth in 6 weeks and I am scared enough about that, but worrying if I catch the virus it could kill me. I am 36 years old, slightly overweight but other than that pretty physically fit and well other than the asthma and of course currently being pregnant. The deepest fear is me not being there to care for our baby daughter. It frightens me thinking about it but at the same time I can't stop thinking about it and playing it out in my head.

Does anyone know if Covid is always bad news for asthmatics? Can asthmatics get it and be ok?

I just needed to get this out somewhere cause I am so done with worrying like this. I'm going to revisit some of the CBT techniques I've used over the years I think and try and rationalise as much as I can. I really hate being this afraid :(

MyNameIsTerry
11-04-20, 15:48
It just means you are more at risk. But remember you are more at risk for many things when you have a chronic respiratory condition.

Those truly at great risk are are the ones with severe asthma. Their condition is fragile.

fizzymoon86
11-04-20, 18:27
Remember, a stuffy nose is common in the third trimester and actually all through pregnancy. Every day I wake up with a dry stuffy nose and with a tickle in my throat but I’m trying very hard to remind myself that it’s more likely to be because I’m 28 weeks pregnant and not due to the virus.

I have the same fears (as I’ve said before) but honestly try not to worry about it. There are hundreds of women giving birth during this pandemic and they’re all absolutely fine and so are their babies. Focus on the end result and getting to hold your baby..