PDA

View Full Version : Lock down exhaustion

dorabella
11-04-20, 18:23
Anyone else feeling physically exhausted by the the stress and anxiety of all this?

Not been doing too badly the last 4 weeks - kept working from home, trying to keep to a schedule and keep mind occupied - but just today am suddenly feeling wiped out. Perhaps its because it is a warm day, perhaps an accumulation of the last 4 weeks of underlying anxiety, or maybe the approach of a Bank Holiday weekend which doesn't even feel like a break when one is locked in and a general feeling of emotional and mental 'lowness'.

Been getting plenty of sleep as strangely the mental anxiety has been wearing me out, but today have been feeling like I could just doze off and I'm not one to nap in the afternoons.

Wondered if anyone else feeling same way.

nomorepanic
11-04-20, 18:34
I think everyone is feeling like that to be honest. The less we do the less we want to then we get tired.

BlueIris
11-04-20, 18:36
To be honest, since college broke up for Easter I've really enjoyed taking afternoon naps.

ankietyjoe
11-04-20, 18:49
Anxiety can often be cumulative, and as you have noticed can wear you down.

I always find a lack of routine exhausting too. There's something to be said for getting up and getting out, but right now I wake up and lay there for an hour or two watching TV. I find this paradoxically exhausting so I'm trying to get back to the routine of waking up and GETTING up. Getting washed, dressed etc rather than slobbing around in shorts and a t-shirt.

dorabella
11-04-20, 19:09
I certainly get up and out of bed in the morning and haven't succumbed to sitting round in jammies. Doing a 9-5 (virtually) with colleagues, Monday to Friday - but find the weekends where I would normally be relishing the rest and 'freedom' from working week are just stretching out into a nothingness and a tad of depression is kicking in. Just today for no apparent reason I was sitting in the lounge with some knitting and I felt utterly weary and exhausted - had to make myself get off the settee and walk about before I dozed off. Napping during the day makes me feel lousy when I wake up and then I can't sleep at night.

Oh the joy of lockdown!!

pulisa
11-04-20, 19:31
I have never worked so hard in my entire life caring for my son and daughter.

ErinKC
12-04-20, 14:37
This sounds really normal. I think every day it hits me a bit differently. For me, the very first days were ok because I felt busy getting prepared, then by the second week I felt very depressed and overwhelmed, now we're into the second month (Day 32 for us) and I almost feel like we've settled into a routine. I also stopped watching the news or really paying attention. It's begun to feel more normal being at home. The normalizing of the situation does make me feel a bit sad sometimes though. But, I think it makes a lot of sense for the overwhelm to hit you at once. I suspect I'll still go through waves of that. This is so new for all of us, so it's impossible to know how it will affect us from moment to moment!

ErinKC
12-04-20, 14:40
I have never worked so hard in my entire life caring for my son and daughter.

It's so hard with kids. I only have one - a 5 year old - AND I was a stay at home mom until this September when Kindergarten started and still I feel so overwhelmed by it all. My husband and I both work and I'm in school so it's so hard to feel like we're paying enough attention to her and not just putting her in front of a screen. I'm trying to enjoy the time together, but it's hard!!