PDA

View Full Version : Packages mail covid 19 meltdown

panicstricken
14-04-20, 21:29
Hi all I have just read an article title that said that an elderly couple who have ot t
Left the house in weekd have died of the coronavirus. The family are begging people to listen and saying that it possibly came on the nail. I am seriously trying not to have a meltdown we ha e been having deliveries for our two daughters birthdays home improvements to help.combat my anxiety and obviously food. Plus general mail co.ing through our door I antibac everything and had been feeling relatively safe but now I'm freaking out this has really scared me. I did not go looking for it I have stopped watching news etc and tried my best to stay away from anything corona related and had been feeling better. But now I feel like there is no hope I know this is melodramatic and I dont know the full story and I try to think that chances of infected mail co ing I is low etc but I'm so scared I am crying as I type this.

glassgirlw
14-04-20, 22:24
I think if you’re taking some basic precautions like wiping down packages and washing your hands/surfaces after handling them, then you’re doing everything you can to protect yourself and your family.

a big part of handling my anxiety throughout this pandemic is to realize that some things are just outside of my control. I focus on the things I know I have control over, and am doing my very best to not worry and stress over the things I cannot control. So I know I can’t control how many different people may have handled my mail and packages before I receive it, but I can control how I treat what comes in my home. I wipe down packages with Clorox wipes, wipe down surfaces that the packages have sat on, dispose of packaging right away, and wash my hands. It’s all we can do.

ankietyjoe
15-04-20, 00:49
So it's been categorically proven by testing that they contracted CV from a delivery?

Fishmanpa
15-04-20, 01:30
So it's been categorically proven by testing that they contracted CV from a delivery?

"I have just read an article title"

Of course not :lac:

Positive thoughts

panicstricken
15-04-20, 01:34
No I have since read the article and so did my husband and they say that the people in question have not left the house in weeks they only recieved deliveries. Of food and other items. They have not proven it's the mail but the family involved are saying to ake sure u wash everything that comes through the door. My husband saids we dont know the full circumstances, but it really frightened me.

jules321
15-04-20, 03:20
Can you please post the article? I’d like to read it myself.

panicstricken
15-04-20, 11:05
Hi everyone thankyou for your replies i am so sorry jules321 for some reason it is not letting me copy the article. But it is on the wales online website .. walesonline.co.uk. I really hope u are right lolalee1 the thought of this being true truly terrifies me. I already feel like there is no hope atm. So this just compounds that feeling

Pamplemousse
15-04-20, 11:19
Is it this article?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/devoted-couple-whod-been-married-18090619

panicstricken
15-04-20, 11:27
Yeah that's the one xx

panicstricken
15-04-20, 11:28
Cant understand why I could copy it but thankyou for finding it xx

ankietyjoe
15-04-20, 11:47
This article is detail free, spurious, vague and presumptuous.

It doesn't define how long they'd been at home, simply saying 'weeks'. One week, five weeks? Who knows?!?! Furthermore, incubation to serious symptoms can be a month or more.

It then goes on to quote family members warning to disinfect anything coming into the home, leaving the readers to jump to conclusions about the cause of the infection.

I guarantee you they have been in contact with people whilst in isolation. Chats with neighbours, postmen, family members 'just popping over' to see if they're ok, do the odd job etc.

Articles like this are the very worst kind of heart string tugging, fact free journalism that cause the exact kind of reaction in the OP we are seeing now.

Elen
15-04-20, 12:58
Sorry to disagree with people. I am in a high risk category and I do disinfect mail and shopping either that or they sit in quaranteen for a min of 72 hours. The risks are a lot lower than through mixing with infected people but there is still a small chance of catching it off things. Again when out I make sure that I do not touch things and if I do I disinfect immediately.

panicstricken
15-04-20, 13:10
We do the same her I use zoflora or dettol to wipe over items that come in but someone said its fruitless. I'm still gonna do it but just wondering people thoughts dettol and zoflra kills virus and bacteria right? Xxx

Lencoboy
15-04-20, 13:40
We just remove the outer packaging of whatever post/parcels come to our door (envelopes/cardboard, etc), bin it, and wash our hands for 20 seconds straight away. Easy peasy!!

Lencoboy
15-04-20, 13:47
This article is detail free, spurious, vague and presumptuous.

It doesn't define how long they'd been at home, simply saying 'weeks'. One week, five weeks? Who knows?!?! Furthermore, incubation to serious symptoms can be a month or more.

It then goes on to quote family members warning to disinfect anything coming into the home, leaving the readers to jump to conclusions about the cause of the infection.

I guarantee you they have been in contact with people whilst in isolation. Chats with neighbours, postmen, family members 'just popping over' to see if they're ok, do the odd job etc.

Articles like this are the very worst kind of heart string tugging, fact free journalism that cause the exact kind of reaction in the OP we are seeing now.

I agree entirely, it does seem that quite a big deal is made out of anything that is deemed a bit 'beyond the pale', especially when the article concerned is very vague and doesn't really tell us that much anyway, as you mentioned.

Whilst CV should still absolutely be taken seriously by all means, there does still unfortunately seem to be certain media publications that are just eager to spew out anything willy-nilly without really knowing the full facts, usually in order to garner clicks/£s/$s, etc.

ankietyjoe
15-04-20, 14:08
I agree entirely, it does seem that quite a big deal is made out of anything that is deemed a bit 'beyond the pale', especially when the article concerned is very vague and doesn't really tell us that much anyway, as you mentioned.

Whilst CV should still absolutely be taken seriously by all means, there does still unfortunately seem to be certain media publications that are just eager to spew out anything willy-nilly without really knowing the full facts, usually in order to garner clicks/£s/$s, etc.

The article is basically planting the idea that they were infected by mail, without actually saying it. Fear solves nothing.

I do agree you should handle your deliveries with caution, and I pretty much do the same as you. I'm the only one that picks up the mail (kids aren't allowed) and I open it on the doorstep and bin the packaging. If the delivery is hard (glass, plastic etc) I'll sanitise it before storing it. Take obvious precautions, within reason.

Phill2
16-04-20, 01:25
Didn't see anything about mail in the article.

pulisa
16-04-20, 08:08

There wasn't. It was insinuated.

Phill2
16-04-20, 08:12
Good way to scare people.

pulisa
16-04-20, 08:17
Good way to scare people.

Yes I agree and it obviously works!

ankietyjoe
16-04-20, 11:17

The article tells you about a lovely old couple, goes through their life story and says they've been home for 'weeks' (who knows how long that actually is). It then tells you how they died, one shortly after the other, from Covid.

The article then quickly goes on to quote their distraught family who are begging people to clean and sanitise all their deliveries. Heavily, heavily implying that was the source of the infection.

Shitty, underhand, fear mongering fvcking British press at it's best/worst. Utter, utter scum.

Lencoboy
16-04-20, 14:24
The article tells you about a lovely old couple, goes through their life story and says they've been home for 'weeks' (who knows how long that actually is). It then tells you how they died, one shortly after the other, from Covid.

The article then quickly goes on to quote their distraught family who are begging people to clean and sanitise all their deliveries. Heavily, heavily implying that was the source of the infection.

Shitty, underhand, fear mongering fvcking British press at it's best/worst. Utter, utter scum.

The press in this country really are the pits, even at the best of times!!

I bet you in about a year or two, by which time the COVID-19 pandemic has (hopefully) exhausted itself, they will have no doubt moved onto the next big 'bogeyman' the world may be faced with by then, and endlessly spewing out hysterical, scaremongering hyperbole as usual!!

Phill2
17-04-20, 05:41
Anything for money.
Unfortunately good news doesn't sell papers.