PDA

View Full Version : citalopram withdrawal

blarm44
13-10-07, 18:47
Hello my name is andrew I want to ask anyone for some advice about citalopram withdrawal.I came off the medication about 3 months ago and I'm still getting really anxiuos and tearful.I came off the medication by tapering the dose.My doctor is unaware I've stopped my medication.I was on the meds for about 5 years at 20mg.It seemed to help but i was fed up with the tiredness and yawning all the time.since i came off i have been having a really bad time with my fathers illness and other things.I feel anxious and emotional most of the time,I feel worse now than before i was put onto the meds 5 years ago.
Should i go back on the citalopram or are these feelings withdrawal symptoms and i have to wait longer for them to get out of my system.

regards
andrew

CliveL
13-10-07, 19:24
I came off them once, on my doctors recomendation, but only lasted a few weeks before realising life was much better with the meds.

nomorepanic
13-10-07, 19:25
Hi Andrew and :welcome:

I don't think it is the withdrawal as such but unless you make life changes whilst on the meds then you will go back once you come off.

Have you had any other help like CBT etc?

Have you tried the herbal route or diet and exercise

Lovely to see you here anyway

blarm44
14-10-07, 14:20
thanx for the replies ,

I did go to counselling a few years ago but found it did n't really work for me.I have heard of cbt but have never tried it.I am goping to go back on the meds and look into therapy because I know i can't go on like this.It's nice to meet everyone and thank you for the welcome nicola.

andrew

honeybee3939
14-10-07, 14:31
Hi Andrew

I have been taking citalopram on and off for 10 years, i was just wondering if you tappered off the meds slowly? i have tried a few times to come off them but feel i did it too quickly. I stopped taking these meds last christmas and up to date its been the longest i have managed without them:) . what i did different this time was doing it very slowly, i cut down gradually over a 12 month period 20mg 10mg then 5mg.
I think the idea of CBT is good for you also, the meds helped me but didnt cure me:ohmy: .

Im hoping i can keep off the meds now, but wouldnt think twice about going back on them again if i felt the need. I think if taking a tablet gives you a better quality of life then in my book that can only be good.:)

Hope things improve for you soon my friend

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

samc100
15-10-07, 19:48
Hi Andrew I was on 20mg and gradually came off them. Took me two attempts though.

Once I did it without Dr supervision. Had to go back onto them. Second time with Dr support and it's been since about July/August and I am doing alright at the moment.

Might be worth a chat with your Dr?

trac67
16-10-07, 00:20
Hi,

I have just come off mine, not told the doctor though as she would be dead against it as its all meds meds with her, I was only on 10mg and have been for 8 years but seeing as my agoraphobia is worse now that it ever has been ive decided they arent actually helping me so i am giving it a go without them. The first week was awful, shakes, light head, and i could have slept 24/7 but im now starting to feel better and my mood is really good and I seem to be doing more, so im going to give it my best shot without them, and avoid the doctor at all costs for a while lol

Love

Trac xxxx

de5tinyx
06-11-07, 16:18
Hi All - Please please please desperate for some help and advice. Due to severe stress my GP put me on Citalopram 10mg. After my first dose, the following morning I had the most frightening experience. I felt extremely sick and got out of bed and headed to the bathroom. On the way, I literally had to lie on the floor as the whole of the house felt like it was spinning severely. I simply could not get up. Tried to walk downstairs to reach the phone but my legs wouldnt work so had to slide down the stairs. Collapsed again on floor due to spinning and huge buzzing noise in my ears. Had a severe burning sweat and then immediately cold shakes. No temp. This all lasted for 10 mins and needless to say scared the life outta me. Phoned GP and was told reaction to Citalopram and to persevere. I continued for the next 3 weeks but gradually felt worse and worse. The most horrendous headaches and nausea and dizziness were the worst i've ever experienced. Went back to GP and was told the I simply couldnt tolerate the Citalopram and told me to stop for two days and prescribed me a new AD to take after that. Due to the whole frightening experience i've declined to take them. I still cannot shake this horrendous headache. I wake up with it at the back of my head. It starts to disappear during the course of the morning. But during the afternoon/early evening the pain begins again but this time its like someone is squeezing my temples so hard and i have a migraine over my eyes. I've become extremely intolerant and impatient during the evenings especially with my dear children - and this is due to how my head is feeling. Simply cannot tolerate noise of any level. Literally hurts my head. I've got appointment with Neurologist this week as I'm so scared. Surely being on such a low dose of Citalopram for just 3 weeks and then nothing at all for 3 weeks hasnt caused these unbearable headaches???? Please advise. By the way - I do actually feel better in myself if I could just lift this terrible pain. I dont have the anxiety/panic I had and can quite easily go out now which was a chore in itself before. Really dont wanna go down AD route again. Any advice gratefully accepted. PLEASE