PDA

View Full Version : A Moan!

Bill
14-10-07, 02:51
I think it's terrible how some people treat anxiety sufferers. If someone was in a wheelchair, would they be just as demeaning and dismissive of their condition!?

Just because it's "invisible", it doesn't mean it's not just as debilitating. Being told to get better and to "pull yourself together" is of no help whatsover especially when an anxiety sufferer already feels bad about themselves! That attitude will never help them to get better!

Sorry, it just makes me So angry when anxiety sufferers are So misunderstood and yet are So caring towards others! :mad:

Gryphoenix
14-10-07, 03:06
I feel kind of the same way--which is why I usually don't tell people outside my immediate family that I have anxiety. I don't really care that much what they'll think of me, I just fear that they won't understand what I'm talking about or worse, won't believe the severity of it.

"Oh, anxiety, it's jitters." Yeah, it's 'jitters', alright. :D

I think it's a reaction to the physical--if you've got a broken arm, we can see it. We can't see our anxiety, and most people don't know what it feels like to have a PA (unless you drag them on a rollercoaster, a thrilling scary movie, or bungee jump). I always say that if an adrenaline junkie had my system, they'd never want to leave the house to climb some mountain or jump out of a plane--they'd feel the same effects with less impact on their wallets!

There's a bad stigma on stuff that goes on in your brain, anyway.

I wonder though, it seems to me that depression gets a better rap than anxiety? I'm not saying that one is better or worse than the other, it's just that I see people on TV talking about it more, or commercial after commercial about either medicine or PSAs on telling people how to deal with it. I don't really see those PSA's on anxiety or panic attacks...

groovygranny
14-10-07, 07:39
Hi Bill,

Yep, there does seem to be a kind of "oh, mental issues - let's avoid that and try to ignore it shall we and maybe it will go away?" attitude with some people.

My boss, who can at times be quite understanding over other issues, has absoluetley no idea about anx/depression/panic. I sometimes wonder if he thinks I made it all up just to get 6 mnths off work! I always get the feeling that he sees it as self-induced - so on one occasion I said to him "yes, that 6 mnths was the worst 6mnths of my life - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!" He looked quite non-plussed....and I left it at that!

He sometimes looks at me with a furtive look on his face - I find that quite amusing, so I play up to it, which is very naughty I know, but I just can't help myself sometimes lol!!:noangel: Spose that's my way of coping with him!

:hugs::hugs:

:flowers:

Alabasterlyn
14-10-07, 08:44
I think it's terrible how some people treat anxiety sufferers. If someone was in a wheelchair, would they be just as demeaning and dismissive of their condition!?

Just because it's "invisible", it doesn't mean it's not just as debilitating. Being told to get better and to "pull yourself together" is of no help whatsover especially when an anxiety sufferer already feels bad about themselves! That attitude will never help them to get better!

Sorry, it just makes me So angry when anxiety sufferers are So misunderstood and yet are So caring towards others! :mad:

I totally agree Bill. I've lost count of the amount of times I've said the same thing. If we were in wheelchairs or had broken limbs people would at least see that we have a problem.

I've had anxiety and agoraphobia for 38yrs now and my mother still keeps saying to me "why don't you just tell yourself you are okay and go out, nothing will happen to you".

It beggars belief how ignorant other people can be. I also get a lot of people saying to me "oh you don't look as though you suffer with anxiety", which always makes me wonder what other people expect us to look like. Are we supposed to have two heads or something :shrug:

Believe
14-10-07, 12:02
Hi Bill,

Yes I to feel this way. I wish that more people were aware of what we go through on a day to day bases. If they walked in our shoes, they would be singing a different tune.

I just try not to let it get to me, and I have keep myself away from this type of person.

I think there should be a law against it myself.

Take Care
Believe

I Believe That We All Will Get Better.

jitterbug
14-10-07, 13:39
Yeah bill I know what you mean. My counselor said that to me, that she wasnt sure how to help and i just need to get on with it. umm is it me or, what is "it"? how can you get on with something you dont know what it is or how to deal with IT
anyways enough moanng from me lol how are we all xxx

Alabasterlyn
14-10-07, 13:41
Yeah bill I know what you mean. My counselor said that to me, that she wasnt sure how to help and i just need to get on with it. umm is it me or, what is "it"? how can you get on with something you dont know what it is or how to deal with IT
anyways enough moanng from me lol how are we all xxx

Well it's bad enough when unqualified people say things like that but you would think a counsellor would know better :ohmy:

Believe
14-10-07, 15:15
Jitterbug please tell us got a new counselor. OMG I can't believe that she said that.

Believe

jitterbug
14-10-07, 15:24
No I didnt. I Know she was frustrated because she feels at a loss and I know what she said really hurt and was dead unprofessional she is human and made a mistake. And I dont think I could stand starting again. She usually is very good, perhaps she was having a bad day?:shrug:

SHERLOCK
14-10-07, 18:25
Well I agree if we could pull ourselves we wouldn't need to be told to, if only we could wish it on them for just an hour I'm dam sure they would soon change their tune them

bottleblond
14-10-07, 18:43
HERE HERE........WELL SAID!!:yesyes:

Lisa
xxxx

Bill
15-10-07, 01:06
Hi all,
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Jitterbug, that Really IS bad what your counsellor said. She Really should know better being a professional but as you say, maybe it was just a bad day even though it was very wrong of her.

The thing that Really upsets and angers me most is when close relatives or partners don't even Try to understand understand what sufferers go through. These are the people who are supposed to care Most so it's simply unforgivable to "abuse" sufferers in such a way!

Honestly, Every sufferer I've met have been lovely people to know and to hear how close ones treat them just....well...there's no words for the contempt I feel! Sorry. It just Really gets to me!

I can understand members of the public behaving in such a way because they know no better but close ones....? And yet if someone's had an accident etc, we're simply not treated in the same way just because it's invisible to them!

I must admit I've been lucky with my parents. They were both supportive even though they didn't always understand what drove me to the edge. My wife can't understand but I don't blame her because it's her illness.

I'm sorry for rattling on but I Hate it when people who in my eyes are so sincere and genuine, are so Badly treated when they deserve so much more! :mad: