PDA

View Full Version : Driving and Medication

Alabasterlyn
14-10-07, 09:22
I passed my driving test back in 1974 and have driven on and off since then. I was actually on medication when I took my driving test and my GP has always said it's fine for me to drive whilst being on my anti depressants and benzos.

However recently I read a thread on another forum saying drivng whilst taking benzos is the same as driving whilst drunk. I have to say it's worried me so much I haven't driven since I read it :weep:

I had got a bit rusty over recent years regarding driving and my partner had started taking me out for "lessons" to get me back up to speed so to speak. He thinks I drive very well and says there is no way he would let me drive if he thought I wasn't capable.

Having said that I know that when people do drink alcohol and drive they always think they are capable, when in fact they aren't :ohmy:

nomorepanic
14-10-07, 13:53
It depends how they effect you.

They can cause drowsiness so the warning will be because of that.

If you feel well enough to drive on them then I can't see why not.

I used to take them occasionally and I was fine to drive with them so it is more a caution than a "don't do it".

Alabasterlyn
14-10-07, 17:34
Thanks Nicola, I don't think they cause me any drowsiness after taking them all these years, I certainly don't feel any different after I've taken them. My only worry is that maybe after so many years maybe I am less alert all the time and aren't aware of it :ohmy:

Jaco45er
14-10-07, 18:58
Hang on, are we talking about women drivers?

knightbabe
14-10-07, 21:36
I was told that my meds (seroxat) may affect my driving when I initially started taking them but once they were in my system I would be ok. My OH certainly wouldn't let me drive if he thought I wasn't capable.

Dying_Swan
15-10-07, 08:32
Oh lordy.......

Please ignore what you read.....it is NOT the same as driving drunk :)

Loads and loads of drugs say on the label 'May cause drowsiness. Do not drive if affected' etc etc.

As long as you know you don't feel drunk/drowsy etc, then you are fine to drive. With things like AD's and Benzo's (which I think all give the driving warning), it's just best to see how they effect you before you start driving on them. If you've been taking them for years then you will be a pro!

Please try not to worry. I think you will be fine to drive :)

xxx

Alabasterlyn
15-10-07, 14:07
Hang on, are we talking about women drivers?

Yes that's right Jaco, you know the superior sex who we all know drive far better than men anyway :D