PDA

View Full Version : Has there been a change in prescribing benzos in UK

Alabasterlyn
14-10-07, 09:45
I've been on a repeat prescription for my benzos and anti depressants for years. For many years I would get a repeat prescription that would last me about 3mths but when I changed GP's about 7yrs ago they told me they only give enough for 8wks and it's been like that ever since.

However when my partner picked up my latest repeat prescription from the pharmacist on Friday I wondered why I only had half my usual amount of benzos but the normal amount of anti depressants.

At first I thought perhaps the pharmacist had read my prescription wrong so I went onto my GP's website and had a look at my online medication requests and saw that my usualy amount of 112 Librium had been cut down to 56 :ohmy:

I haven't been able to contact the GP's surgery as they have been closed since then. However I am now getting myself worried that either the GP has tried to get me to cut my dose in half or that I will now only get enough meds to last me 4wks.

I'm worried about the financial implications too as I don't earn any money and it's expensive enough already paying out for 2 lots of meds every 8wks :mad:

PUGLETMUM
14-10-07, 09:59
:) hi lyn,

could you get the pre-paid thingie, which i think is if you get more than14 scripts per year (i think,but dont quote me!) it works out cheaper to get the prepaid certificate - somebody correct me if im wrong?

anyway, with regards benzos, im sure you are aware that in the eighties there was a furore about how many women(particularaly) were addicted to them and therewas controversy about the reasons theyd been prescribed them inthe first place. my mum was addicted to ativan (lorazepam) which had been prescribed for pms. but they are highly addictiveinsome ppl,but not all,butthey prescribe them now for a max period of 2 weeks, and you probably wont get alot of themso you would have to use them wisely.the prob is that ppl dont find ways of dealing with their symptoms and whenthye discontinue the tranqs the symptomscome back but magnified, when youve also got the belief that you need the drug to take away the symptoms,from my experience and what ive read this is my understanding of it.

you prob need to go and have a review with your gp,and tell him/her that you are not new to your meds and would need to do a programme of controlled withdrawal if they want you to discontinue use?

emma

Alabasterlyn
14-10-07, 11:00
Thanks for that Emma, I will look into the price of the pre paid prescriptions thingie and see if it works out any cheaper.

I'm not new at the practice I go to, been a regular there for the past 7yrs and always go every 6mths for a review.

I am only too well aware of the addictive nature of benzos and have been angry for many years at how I was put on them with no warning of how addictive they are. I have never been advised to taper off them and I think this is more down to the fact that GP's don't have the time or resources to help patients taper off. I did try, unsuccessfully, to taper off my anti depressants a couple of years ago but had to go back on them as I felt like crap and had absolutely zero support from the health service with how I felt.

Dying_Swan
15-10-07, 08:27
Hey there.

There has been a change in UK prescribing in general....which I wasn't aware of until recently: GP's are not supposed to prescribe anything for more than one month at a time. They say this is due to the Shipman case, although in reality it is because the government makes more money if we all pay more script charges.

This rule can be bent however, for special things such as holidays etc where a patient needs more than a month's supply. So, in some ways your doc has been pretty decent in doling out more than the 28 days-worth.

I can understand where you're coming from though.....it is a little puzzling why you have to usual number of AD's and half the number of Benzo's. I can only think it is a doctor other than your own GP who signed the repeat prescription, and decided to 'tighten the reins' a bit.

The other possibility is that your own GP or the practice have decided to tighten up.....many doctors would not put Benzo's on repeat at all, let alone months at a time.

Could you give the surgery a ring and ask them? I know if it was me I'd be concerned about it and would want to know the reason.

Sorry I can't be of more help - I hope you get this sorted though.

Best wishes xxx :flowers:

Alabasterlyn
15-10-07, 14:24
Hey there.

There has been a change in UK prescribing in general....which I wasn't aware of until recently: GP's are not supposed to prescribe anything for more than one month at a time. They say this is due to the Shipman case, although in reality it is because the government makes more money if we all pay more script charges.

Well I phoned the GP's surgery this morning and you are right, there has been a change in prescribing. I wasn't told about a total change in how long medications can be prescribed for but was told that benzos can only be prescribed for 4wks. To me this is ludicrous and quite frankly I am spitting feathers right now and will be going to see my GP on Thursday to let him know how I feel.

I was put on these meds many many years ago with no warning about the addictive nature of them and now not only am I addicted to them but I have to pay out double the price for the joy of being an addict!

Wonder when the NHS will put it's hand in it's pocket and give the much needed help to get people of these meds.

belle
15-10-07, 18:02
Hi..

In my experience, i've seen several different doctors in my practice over the last couple of years and not ONE will perscribe me any kind of benzo. I've asked and asked again for something just to "calm" me down when needed but they flat out refuse!!!!

x

Alabasterlyn
15-10-07, 21:19
Hi..

In my experience, i've seen several different doctors in my practice over the last couple of years and not ONE will perscribe me any kind of benzo. I've asked and asked again for something just to "calm" me down when needed but they flat out refuse!!!!

x

Sorry to hear that bluebell, I think a lot of GP's have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous over the issues with benzos. If they are taken on as 'as needed' basis then you can't get addicted to them, as far as I am aware.

The problem really lies with the brushed under the carpet epidemic of people who were prescribed benzos like smarties years ago and are now addicted and stay on them with the encouragement of GP's as they don't know how to help patients come off them as there are't any rehab facilities for benzo addiction.

shoegal
16-10-07, 00:46
Hi,
When I was a teenager I saw a very unsympathetic Doctor who perscribed me valium like sweets! Luckily, I am the sort of person who is very nervous about taking meds so I only took them when I really needed them, so I don't think I was ever addicted. Now however, I am suffering from panic attacks again and my new Doctor only prescribes me 10 x 2mg tablets at a time. I hardly ever need them and have proved this by only asking for another prescription about 10 months later, but my Doctor is very reluctant to give me any more. I find this insulting because I have been very careful not to use them unnecessarily, and I have never been offered any other meds to help with my panic attacks. I really like to have some with me when I go out because I'm agoraphobic and it makes me feel better knowing they are there if I need them. Having such difficulty in getting any at all makes me very anxious. I also wonder how many addicts or people who feel desperate have been forced to buy valium off the blackmarket because they can't get it from their Doctor. Surely this is worse than getting them from a Doctor who can at least monitor your dose and help you with any problems?
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Love and hugs from shoegal xxx