PDA

View Full Version : Obesity

Gordon
14-10-07, 16:20
I had to laugh today......

The Health Minister said there's an obesity crisis in the UK and that the government are going to look at ways to tackle it.

This will take some time and cost thousands.

In the meantime speaking as a fat man I will tell you all what the problem is in about two minutes flat and for free.

My local supermarket has two tubes of Pringles for 2 quid. Five chunky kit kat bars for a quid. Bottles of their own brand cola for 50 pence. Buy one get one free on chocolate digestive biscuits.

Of course I don't have to buy them but having little willpower I do.

Now, let's talk about healthy foods. Let's take pumpkin seeds which I tried once and I like.

Not available at my local supermarket at all. Available at a health food shop in the next town - cost of seeds 2 quid for a small bag. Cost of getting to next town 3 pounds return on the bus.

Of course I can order online but I just took a look at the healthy food site where the seeds are a little cheaper but they charge £4.99 for delivery for just one item and I can't buy in bulk as it's only me that's eating them and I don't like wasting food.

So what I'm saying is that we have a health epidemic in this country as good healthy food costs a small fortune compared to "junk" food and promotions and offers on junk food are ALWAYS advertised in the newspapers and on television.

I WANT to eat healthier but being on benefits, it's just not financially viable for me to do so.

There's your answer Mr Johnson.

Ta for letting me rant!!

Gordon

jo61
14-10-07, 16:28
Send that email to the minister!!!

honeybee3939
14-10-07, 17:44
Gordon

That is so true !!

:blush: :blush: :blush: Ive no will power either Gordon, i purchased the pringles for £2, the chocolate digestives buy one get one free and 2 giant areo bars buy one get one free yesterday at my local co-op:ohmy: .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

bearcrazy
14-10-07, 20:52
:hugs:

Hi Gordon,
Healthy Food doesnt have to be expensive. I have started the GI Diet which is very easy to follow and doesnt rely on having to buy 'special' food. basically it is sensible, non processed foods. You can buy frozen chicken etc from iceland cheaply, and sesaonal veg are usually cheap if you shop around. I have an eating disorder but am managing to stick with this one cos its so easy to follow and I am rarely hungry! You can find out about it online too on www.gidiet.com (http://www.gidiet.com) :hugs:

Piglet
14-10-07, 20:57
Did someone say Pringles!!!! :yesyes:

My one tip is never to shop when you're hungry - when I used to supermarket shop I rarely got to the checkout without some crumbs and an empty wrapper!! :blush:

There are some benefits to being agoraphobic after all you see!

Love Piglet :flowers:

mirry
20-10-07, 10:31
lol, I can see both sides of the argument.

you never see apples ,buy one get one free.
its always crap food.
But I know making a bowl of porridge is healthy and very cheap.
making my own soup is cheap and bread ot go with it.

But what really annoys me very much is this ......

we took the kids to our local tennis court and asked how much was it to use,
they told us £5.50 :ohmy: . So we had to leave , WHAT A RIP OFF !!!
Its outside with no lights , it costs them nothing to provide.
Same with any sport , you have to pay alot of money.

I know some where up north , they have opened up a playground for adults to use, it has lots of excersize equipment to use free of charge.

Lindalou64
20-10-07, 14:44
Its The Same Way Here In America......i Go On All These Damn Diets But Barley Can Afford What I Need As The Fruits And The Veggies Yes U Never See Them Buy One Get One Free.....right On Gord :)
Take Care ......linda Xxx

Lol To You Nel

Alabasterlyn
20-10-07, 17:36
It is very hard to go into a supermarket and not come out with something naughty but nice as they put all these lovely items right near the checkout and as you stand and wait the temptation gets the better of you :blush:

It's a fact that junk food is cheaper than healthy foods. My partner is always admonishing me for spending ludicrous amounts on our weekly shopping, but I like to buy lots of fruit, salads and seeds and they aren't cheap.

I think a little while ago Tesco did an offer on fruit and veg where if you bought a certain amount you got some free, but I don't think the offer lasted very long.

I do agree that it's best to shop when you aren't hungry as you aren't so tempted to buy junk. It's also good to shop online as you certainly aren't tempted doing that, but of course there is the delivery charge to think about then.

I think the government also needs to get it's act together and ban trans fats as it's well known that they are very bad for you. I think the only store that sells food with no trans fats in any of it's products is M&S and let's face it they aren't exactly cheap :ohmy: