PDA

View Full Version : Hi new here. unusual phobia

Rachey
30-01-05, 16:28
Hi everyone im Rachel 24 married mum.
i was relieved and delighted to have found this site as there doesn't seem to be alot of help out there for this sort of thing. Ihave always been prone to frail mental health including anxiety, panic attacks and mood disorders. The problem that is plaguing me the most right now is that over the last few months i have developed a severe phobia of choking (particularly on food) this has resulted in a morbid fear of swallowing. This phobia is having a grave impact on all ares of my life both physical and mental. i am currently surviving on a diet of soup, ice cream and yoghurt as these foods mimic liquids when swallowed. this is miserable cos i love my food! for me eating anything that creates too much sensation in the throat is out of the question.

Rachey
30-01-05, 16:39
however at present i am slightly better than i have been as there was a time when i was convinced that i was choking on drinks and even my own saliva! i am at my wits end with this problem though as not only is it affecting my mood but iam also losing alot of weight. my husband is my safe person and is very supportive but he is also at a loss. my biggest fear is that my kids will end up neurotic like me as they dont miss a trick. i just wnt to be 'cured' and enjoy eating and living again but i dont know where to start. i hope by becoming a member of this site i will make friend and beable to talk to people going through similar things. please feel free to add your comments or advice. Thanks Rachey

ps i did do a search for my phobia but didnt find anything.

mico
30-01-05, 16:44
Hi Rachey

This isn't an unusual fear, not something I suffer from myself, but there will be many people here that can relate to you with this. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good replies, and I hope you can find some help here.

And welcome to the site

mico

Karen
30-01-05, 17:16
Hi Rachel

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you are struggling so much with this fear. Have you seen your doctor about it? Some counselling may well help you with this.

I'm sure you'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
30-01-05, 17:33
hello Rachel,

Welcome to the site!! Your phobia is one that quite a few people have so please don't feel alone. Counselling might help you - have you tried it before?

Sarah :D

Rachey
30-01-05, 17:35
Hi mico, im glad to know it isnt unusual after all, it does feel like it at times. thanks.

Hi Karen, yes i have been to the GP once about this problem, he wasnt all that helpful really. he said ' if you imagine you are choking then you will choke cos its a self fullfilling prophesy'.
very helpful cos what he said actually caused me to worry and panic even more!

nice to meet you both.

Rachey
30-01-05, 17:40
Hi Sarah, no not tried counselling as im a bit anxious about asking the GP for this. but i have tried talking to a lady on No Panic helpline service. she was good actually and after speaking to her i picked up a bit for a few days.

nomorepanic
30-01-05, 17:46
Hi Rachey

Do you feel as though you have a lump in your throat and it is hard to swallow?

Nicola

Rachey
30-01-05, 17:57
Hi Nicola, yes! i have that feeling all the time! like there is an obstacle in my throat preventing food travelling. i think i can feel it on my neck and keep asking my husband to feel it. i have the lump in my throat even when not eating.

vernon
30-01-05, 19:53
hi Rachey, Welcome to the site, As mico said I have heared so many who come here have the same fear. You can also do a telephone recovery with No Panic, lots from this site has. We have a chat room here too and anytime you feel you need to chat pop in, there is someone there every night after 8 30pm. Hope you find the support you want here , good luck. Vernon

lainey
31-01-05, 09:03
Hi Rachey

Welcome to the site.
iu sed to get a lump in my throat which my GP told me was one of the most common symptoms of anxiety(globus hystericus). Once my GP told me what it was it practically went overnight, i don't think you have a very sympathetic GP as he should have known better !
Hope you get all the help and support you need here, I certainly have.

Take care

Elaine x

jill
01-02-05, 08:44
Hi Rachey

Welcome to the site,

There are lots of nice people here who will help and
support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Meg
01-02-05, 11:28
Rachey,

This is indeed very common and we have several threads on it if you use the search facility.

Essentially this globus hystericus is the tightening of a muscle in the throat - it can never tighten enough to close it . Most muscles tighten when we're anxious. It will not hinder eating although it may be uncomfortable

To relieve the lump you will need to learn to relax and then it loosens of its own accord.

Things that help - rescue remedy, strong mints, iced water, sucking boiled sweets.

Things to do - Yoga, relaxation CD's, exercise.

You may find you've got much thicker saliva at that time too - it was often a warning signal to me that I was getting uptight so I used it as my anxious baraometer and that helped too.

On the symptoms and First Steps pages there is some stuff about it

Let us know how you do

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
01-02-05, 17:15
Rachey

Read this previous thread as it may help with the "lump in throat" thing.

http://172.30.10.208/lounge/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2387

Nicola

Meg
01-02-05, 18:11
nic - link not working

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
01-02-05, 18:48
oops

That is a link to the forum on the new server. I use it for searching cos it is quicker. Here is the correct link ....

MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957)

Sorry and thanks Meg

Nicola

Rachey
01-02-05, 23:46
Thanks to everybody who replied to my message.
Thanks to Niclola and Meg for the link. This has been my first chance to use the computer in a few days. i read the link to the post by Pips which seems to outline a similar problem to mine. i was very suprised to see how many people expressed being able to identify with this problem. I actually feel a bit daft for thinking i was all alone in the world on this.
I never really thought of this fear as being a symptom of anxiety in itself rather i assumed it was my fear of choking bringing on the anxiety.
I am still unsure as to which came first? the chicken or the egg? the phobia leading to the anxiety or the anxiety leading towards a strange throat sensation thus becoming a pobia? I am unsure although i feel i am mostly only anxious about choking lately rather than a generalised anxiety. thanks again to all who replied and welcomed me to this kind and valuable site, Rachey x

Rachey
01-02-05, 23:50
ps please bear with me as i become familiar of all aspects of the site and where to find things ( i may need help )

nomorepanic
02-02-05, 13:15
Rachey

If you are worried about the choking feeling then you can ask the doctor about it but as I said in Pip's post he told me that he could put a camera down there if I wanted. That was enough to reassure me that it was anxiety and it comes and goes now but I don't worry about it so much.

Let us know if you need help with the forum.

Nicola

Blondie23
29-07-10, 14:32
Hi rach and everyone else.....i just joined this site today, you should be able to see my post in the introduction section....i have overcome this phobia, however im still tackling eating in public places, but if anyone would like to chat or some tips/advice on how it worked for me please please feel free to pm me xxx