PDA

View Full Version : Amsler Grid and Eye Anxiety

Tvtipp2
16-04-20, 23:23
I’ll preface this with me saying my anxiety has been crazy lately with scleroderma and other fears.

I was reading a post somewhere and Randomly decided to try the amsler grid test. If I hold the phone away at a good distance it’s fine in my left eye, but when holding it up close and sitting close at the computer, the lines are wavy and tilted outward on the left in my peripheral vision It’s ok with my other eye, maybe some very slight distortion In the peripheral area.

I had this scare a while back (a year ago) when I did the test on the computer. I printed the grid out and it was fine. I’m quarantined now and don’t have a printer. Since then, about 3 months ago, I had a complete eye exam and OCT retinal scan. About 2 years ago I passed a visual field test after failing one the year before.

I also notice this waviness as well when looking at a Spreasheet which I have to do for work all day.

I don’t think this could be AMD (I’m under 40 and just had an OCT scan) but wondering what could cause this. There has to be something off with the left eye. I’m nearsighted but this is obvious with glasses, without and with contacts.

Fishmanpa
16-04-20, 23:56
You start your post by acknowledging your anxiety has been crazy lately followed by a common example of anxiety driven behavior and thought processes. Apparently AMD was on your mind because you read about it in a post "somewhere". How does one "randomly" decide to do an Amsler Grid Test? How many people even know what that is? Then you start self testing. The sheer amount of minutia you're taking notice of indicates the hyper awareness HA trait.

I think you can add this to the list filed under "other fears" ;)

Positive thoughts

KK77
17-04-20, 00:35
I agree with Fish: you don't "randomly" decide to do such specific tests without researching first.

The simple answer would be to not focus (excuse pun) on such obscure self-testing and try to give your eyes a break from staring at a screen, as you could be suffering from simple eye strain related to your work.

Tvtipp2
17-04-20, 22:44
Thanks - appreciate the responses. Trying to avoid retesting my eye but this is driving me crazy.

Is there any way an OCT scan could have missed something or there would have been significant changes between December and April? I’m guessing anything awful would not just pop up in 3.5 months between visits ?

tnt808
17-04-20, 22:47
I have Scleroderma and don't have a clue what an AMD eye thingy is?