PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the public as a front line worker

LouiseAndy
17-04-20, 23:04
So, I'm mainly writing this as a rant. I'm a carer, during the week a group of men (middle age) started playing a game of football in the green outside of my work. It's private grounds but we normally let members of the public use it but not during these times.

My manger asked me to go out and speak to them, you know ask then to move on. Which resulted in two grown men spiting in my face and others shouting horrible abuse at me. It was frighting but I did my best to stand my ground, after all the safest of the people I look after is what most important. One of my co workers saw and came out to help. We called the police but they said they had more serious issues to deal with

I've been at home self isolated since that, I'm returning to work Sunday but my anixety feels so high. My heart is pounding everyday. To the point I can't stand up without feeling like I'm going to faint. I had heart tests done before Christmas that all came back fine, so in the back of my head I know it's nothing but it's distressing. I just feel awful, I keep getting stress headaches.

We're so, so lucky to not have a case in our home yet. Yet talking through windows to the people I care for, seeing the fear in their eyes and having some of them cry to me saying they just want a hug. Oh my mind can't take much more, especially when I go home and see people not taking it seriously. When my own friends are having parties or such and tell me to call up after work. When I try expressing my worries to then they just laugh and say I'm always worrying/they bring my health anixety which isn't making me think clearly. It really feels like I'm constantly being out down.

Everyday I wake up in a panic, my heart racing, struggling to breath, feeling numb. I feel so dizzy and pounding heart just writing this.

ErinKC
18-04-20, 00:30
I am so sorry. That is a true assault and trauma you went through and it makes complete sense that you are feeling anxious now. Plus, it was on top of your job, which is already stressful.

I know it's hard, but ignore your friends. They are wrong. You are doing the right thing to keep yourself and others safe.

I don't have a lot of advice on how to deal with this, but do be kind to yourself because your anxiety is completely normal under the circumstances. I know the people you work with are so grateful to have you there looking after them.

Fishmanpa
18-04-20, 00:52
I agree with Erin. This is more about the traumatic experience than it is about the chances of catching the virus.

Positive thoughts

KK77
18-04-20, 01:09
What a terrible ordeal, Louise. You were physically assaulted and the police should absolutely take it seriously. Disgraceful and unacceptable to say they have more "serious" issues to deal with, and you should complain about the way in which you were treated. You do a hard enough job as it is without being verbally abused and spat at.

Re your friends - do what you feel is right for you and your family. If they are truly "friends", then they should respect your wishes. Nothing else matters.

tnt808
18-04-20, 01:53
Spit on you? People have been arrested in the US for putting anyone at risk during the coronavirus. Disgusting behavior!

I'm so sorry!

Lolalee1
18-04-20, 06:07
There are always going to be people like that around the cops Should arrest the mongrels,I congratulate you on the work you are doing :yesyes:and try not to worry over a few imbeciles.If that had happened too me I would have chased the b asturds down and really give them a flogging.
Take care of yourself and keep in touch :hugs:

pulisa
18-04-20, 08:32
Louise, what a horrible experience dealt out by absolute scumbags who are stupid and worthless and pure oxygen thieves.

You are a key worker doing a supremely challenging job in awful circumstances. If your friends choose to defy advice that's their problem and shows their stupidity but you are responsible and conscientious and don't have to follow suit just because they are insecure about it.

You are going to be plagued by your HA fears but you know that these are all anxiety symptoms which are distressing but benign.

Don't let idiots get you down..Rise above it and go back to doing the job where you are loved by the residents. Being respected and needed is so important and you are a much valued member of your team xx

Fishmanpa
18-04-20, 11:57
I'm in essential services too and I'm seeing behaviors from people that I don't believe we'd see if we weren't in the current crisis. From total disregard of the CDC's recommendations to angry and frustrated outbursts due to the inconveniences this is causing. It certainly doesn't excuse the behavior but knowing the reasons behind it helps to understand and deal with it.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
18-04-20, 13:57
How do you understand the behaviours though? In Louise's case there are no excuses, lockdown or no lockdown.

Fishmanpa
18-04-20, 18:27
How do you understand the behaviours though? In Louise's case there are no excuses, lockdown or no lockdown.

Because many people are just a holes :lac: It doesn't excuse the behavior but it does explain it. I'm surprised by the police's reaction as there have been stories of people being arrested here in the States for purposely coughing or spitting on people and food in the markets.

Positive thoughts

LouiseAndy
24-04-20, 04:18
Thank you all for the replies- sorry not coming on sinner but we've been run off our feet at work. I'm just finished the night shift and off again till Sunday! I've doing mostly okay, high heart rate alot but it's a intense time so to be expected! One of the residents who's in his 90's with lots of health issues told me out the window today that he's counting down the days until we can go on a trip to the pub together for Sunday lunch again because his refusing to leave his earth without one last trip out to his favorite pub and it give me a nice pick me up and I told him I'm looking forward to it also.