PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy 36weeks - CMV/EBV positive

TK09
21-04-20, 12:03
Hi,

My wife is currently 36weeks pregnant (37 in 2days). During her 33rd week she developed severe itching in the palms of her hands and feet and all over her body. We subsequently contacted our GP and she got her bloods tested. It came back high in bile acids pointing to Choleostasis. She then had further testing done which came back positive IgG and IgM for CMV and EBV. They have not gone further in the testing for CMV (no antigen test) as I assume we as so close to the birth date. I have read stories of women having itching and also being diagnosed with CMV. I've tried to dig out answers for some questions but have had NO luck finding them anywhere so was wondering if anyone could possible help shed some light. The MAIN question I wanted to ask was, in reactivation/recurrent CMV, can this cause issues in organs such as the liver? Or is that only during primary infection? My wife has been indoors since January nesting and resting!!! Minimal contact with people. Seeing as the itching started at week 33 I am assuming if it was primary CMV then infection would have had to have happened close to week 33? I'm only deducing that from other stories I have read. Basically I'm trying to figure out, is this a primary or secondary infection. ANY information is HUGELY appreciated. Regards

DarkSkies18
22-04-20, 13:12
Hi there, felt like I needed to reply since I have first hand experience with having Cholestasis. I developed it in my second trimester with my second child.
Initially my doctor gave me an induction date at 36 weeks. Has your wife received an induction date? That's pretty important with this condition.
From what I understand this is a pregnancy related condition and has nothing to do with how your wife's liver was functioning prior to this. (If that's what you're getting at). My doctor explained that as soon as the baby is delivered my functionality would go back to normal, which it did. I even had a recent CT scan for left sided pain i was experiencing for months and nothing was wrong. If you're still curious I would have your wife call her Gyno's nurse's line and they can give more insight!
Congratulations and good luck with your soon to be new little bundle!

TK09
22-04-20, 19:01
Thank you DarkSkies18! So we spoke to a consultant today, one of the best in the UK regarding CMV. Sadly, it was confirmed to him that my wife has caught a primary infection of CMV. This means that she caught it for the first time during pregnancy. He did a rather in depth scan of baby. Brain and liver were absolutely normal. Stomach was slightly smaller than what it should be (sometimes a cause of CMV transmission) and also mild blotches in his bowels (again can sometimes be to do with CMV). I understand that he has to be pessimistic, and admitted that those two very mild findings don't show him anything and can be caused from so many other pregnancy factors.... and he has to get a 2nd opinion! (and this is coming from the TOP DOG consultant!) He went on to tell us that there is a 3-6% chance of baby getting the virus from the mother. Regarding the cholestasis, well the consultant didn't realise that my wife HADNT been given an induction date! He was FUMING and sounds like the doctor who was looking after my wife initially is going to get a stern word in his ear. Subsequently, wife is being induced on Friday this week... 2days time... EEEEP!! Cholestasis was unrelated to the CMV as you had said in your message :) So all we can do now is wait. They will test baby when he comes out to see if he has transmitted the virus (blood test, hearing, visual tests) and wife will be monitored for her liver after birth.

DarkSkies18
29-04-20, 23:18
Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear. For the most part it sounds like the doctors are taking care of her and the baby and doing what's best. Still stinks when they need a second opinion- that does nothing for anxiety! If the baby does catch the virus, what do they do exactly? (just curious)
And whew! Glad she got the induction date. I was curious at first why she didn't have one. Funny enough my daughter who was scheduled to be induced at 36 weeks, ended up coming naturally at 35 weeks!
Good luck with everything on Friday! Try to not let all of this craziness ruin a happy time!

WiseMonkey
30-04-20, 07:10
Hi, I'm sure all will be well, enjoy this special time and let us know how you all are :)