PDA

View Full Version : Drooping eyelid/Ptosis

Ruby777
21-04-20, 12:15

*** edit : I have now added pictures to the post : the first picture is today ( i must say it is not always as apparent in the morning) and the second is a picture from 3 years ago.

Hi everyone,
I have very high anxiety right now due to what looks like a drooping eyelid in my right eye since last Thursday. I am still able to lift my eyelids to the same level when looking up, but one eyelid looks more droopy (swollen) than the other when looking straight.

Has anyone suffered from this before?

I'm so scared of this being caused by a brain tumor or something else that can be very serious. This past december I woke up with blurry vision in my left eye (which resolved in about 3-4 hours) and saw the ophtalmologist twice for follow ups. As my vision came back to normal he discharged me.

Now I am scared this is all related. I hesitant to go to A&E due to the current covid19 outbreak but now really scared.

My partner thinks I'm exagerrating and can't see much of a difference, but a friend of mine said she noticed once I pointed it out.

Fishmanpa
21-04-20, 14:48
Your partner doesn't notice much of a difference nor does your friend until you point it out. Even then its a shoulder shrug. What does that tell you?

Positive thoughts

Ruby777
21-04-20, 20:14
Thank you for your reply fish man pa . I guess it’s because I find it really noticeable . I wanted to share a picture to ask for opinion but does not look possible .

I am totally aware I can tend to exaggerate situations but I can see it clearly in pictures - which I find worrying

Hi everyone,

I have very high anxiety right now due to what looks like a drooping eyelid in my right eye since last Thursday. I am still able to lift my eyelids to the same level when looking up, but one eyelid looks more droopy (swollen) than the other when looking straight.

Has anyone suffered from this before?

I'm so scared of this being caused by a brain tumor or something else that can be very serious. This past december I woke up with blurry vision in my left eye (which resolved in about 3-4 hours) and saw the ophtalmologist twice for follow ups. As my vision came back to normal he discharged me.

Now I am scared this is all related. I hesitant to go to A&E due to the current covid19 outbreak but now really scared.

My partner thinks I'm exagerrating and can't see much of a difference, but a friend of mine said she noticed once I pointed it out.

textsfromthemoon
22-04-20, 08:30
Its important to remember that our bodies are not perfectly symmetrical, if its that subtle its very possible that your one eyelid has always just been slightly different than the other and you only notice it now because your anxiety is causing you to fixate.

I had an anxiety bout similar to this a few years ago and after stressing I realized that my eyelids just each have a slightly different crease and they've always been that way.

Ruby777
22-04-20, 21:23
You are absolutely right , our bodies are not perfectly symmetrical and it might be that this was always there and I have never noticed .

I believe that since I have had this eye issue in December ( woke up and my left eye vision was completely blurry and my eye couldn’t focus ) I have now been overly focusing on my eyes .

I don’t know about you , but I feel like this lockdown has made my anxiety much worse ..

katniss
23-04-20, 01:23
I have the same. My left eye is more droopy. I got pretty scared. I ended up going to the doctor’s and getting it checked out. They told me it was NOT ptosis. If I can raise that eye without raising my eyebrows I’m fine. If you can widen your eyes you’re okay!

Ruby777
23-04-20, 10:06
Thanks Katniss, that is very helpful to know. When I hold my eyebrows I'm still able to raise my eyelids, so I assume I should be ok .:) I have added pictures to my first post - The first one I took today and I have also added a picture from 3 years ago - while there is an angle, it seems like this 'drooping' was already there back then.

Fishmanpa
23-04-20, 11:50
You literally are making something out of absolutely nothing here :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Ruby777
23-04-20, 15:24
That is probably true. Thanks for taking the time to respond it is much appreciated . I think being at home all the time gives me way too much time to overthink and notice things I wouldn’t otherwise !