PDA

View Full Version : I messed up physical distancing :(

carriewriting
24-04-20, 12:51
Today was my son's 21st birthday and we had lunch outside on our deck. My dad and brother came over as we are allowed to have up to 2 visitors and we sat outside the whole time 1.5m apart.

But when he was leaving my Dad got emotional and really wanted a photo with my kids (21 and 16) and I caved and said they could. We took the photo outside on the deck and it was less than a minute but immediately I regretted it and am now freaking out that they are going to get the virus as they were right next to each other.

Rationally I know this is unlikely. My kids have only left the house once in 6 weeks that wasn't for exercise and that was to get the flu shot at the doctor's.

My dad only leaves the house to go to the doctor for blood tests every two weeks. He lives with my brother who always wears a mask when he goes out, which is only to the supermarket as he lost his job a few weeks ago.

I always wear a mask and gloves when I go to the supermarket, which is the only place I've been in the past 8 weeks apart from my flu shot. I wash my hands so much my skin is peeling.

There is no evidence of community transmission of the virus in my small city. We have only had 100 cases and most of them are from people who caught the virus overseas. We've tested 2.5% of our population and they've been negative.

I know the risk is small, but I am freaking out that my dad or kids are going to get sick now and it will be all my fault.

I have had health anxiety for 15 years and can't believe I was so stupid.

Please learn from my mistake. Stay vigilant and keep social distancing.

WiredIncorrectly
24-04-20, 13:01
Don't sweat it. My brother works in the police force and comes into contact with more people daily than most of us do in a week. The social distancing is to protect the NHS, not so much your life. If the NHS comes under any more strain it won't be able to help the sick people. That's the only reason lockdown exists.

MyNameIsTerry
24-04-20, 16:52
Carrie, I think you are being very hard on yourself here. Your dad and brother are following the rules and not like some of the idiots who don't care. Therefore the chances are very slim they even have it and I'm sure you would be worried about them too during all this.

Just going shopping means we end up breaking social distancing rules much more than you have done. How can we get around a shop with a metre gap between shelves? People have little choice but to walk past each other in some limited circumstances.

carriewriting
25-04-20, 13:05
Thank you both for your calm words. I am working hard today to accept that what will be, will be (or won't be).

pulisa
25-04-20, 14:13
I think you are being very hard on yourself too, Carrie but that won't stop you worrying. We can't always be "perfect" in terms of our social distancing and none of us are guaranteed 100% protection even if we rigidly adhere to the guidelines. Please don't torture yourself because you feel you have made a mistake in allowing that photo to be taken. It would have been very hard to deny your dad a photo with his grandsons on such a special occasion and he will take such great pleasure from it in the weeks ahead. He won't even have thought about any "risks" and you are not in area which is hugely affected by CV anyway.