PDA

View Full Version : The Right to say 'No'

Big Bird
16-10-07, 09:16
In doing some homework on my goodself over the last few months I have found there have been so many instances when 'I' have actually placed myself under pressure which has eventually resulted in me breaking down and now having anxiety and panic attacks.
It may be easy to look for excuses to blame events. people and ones general health but I am equally sure that in taking the time to simply say 'NO' to certain things is a great way of beginning to sort my perspective of life out again.
Simply put, You may not be saying no when you want to!
I would like to know whether anyone concurs with this theory as it strikes me it is an incredibly important step in rehab?

Dont be afraid to say NO.....If; like me you have always given and agreed by a simple 'Yes', even when you do not mean it, think of all the times that has piled up the pressure points on you. Maybe we do not like to upset people or feel guilty or are looking for a a reciprical 'yes' from friends or family, just take a look at what is on offer and reason out the consequences. My guess is that in saying 'NO' a little more often can help enormously.
I know it may be part habit or part art but with practice and calm self assured response, we can all feel a little better about ourselves.

So, next time you feel under pressure by someone you love or care for asking you to do something you do not want to, try it. Be calm, assured and positive in saying 'No' for YOU. It can and it does work.

Keep your heads up High everyone,

BB (Roy):hugs: :hugs:

kate
16-10-07, 14:44
I think a lot of it is down to guilt and also the fact that we have to feel needed and wanted. By always putting others first, it makes us feel better about ourselves. Or does it???

In the long term, we end up feeling resentful, put upon and downright fed up with ourselves.

Saying no can be very liberating :D

Kate

knightbabe
16-10-07, 16:02
I have sometime said no to something and then regretted it after. Now I only say no if I feel unprepared. Like the other Sunday my other half said he didn't want to play poker at the local club. When we got there he changed his mind. I wasn't prepared for it and my OH brought me home before he started playing. Up until this point he had been oblivious to the fact that I was on medication for my PA. But he can see that they are working as I am prepared to do more and more.

groovygranny
16-10-07, 17:43
Crikey Roy, don't think anyone could have put it better than that!!

I'm still on the learning curve of saying 'no' - and it can be a long hard slog sometimes. But I know it's absolutely essential that I do this, for fear of slipping back to the point I was at just a couple of years ago - next month actually.

Thank you

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

:)