PDA

View Full Version : driving fear advice pleeeze!!

bexy1970
16-10-07, 10:59
hi folks, just wondering if anyone has conquered a driving fear? ive driven for years but after having panick attacks after my dad died i havnt been able to drive case of(losing control)which i know we dont its just part of anxiety attacks.. also im meant to take 100mg of dothiepin at bed time, i take 75mg but cut it into tiny pieces as scared of taking a big dose in one go! know ths is all daft! and my cpn said would work betta if took in one go! ne advice would be lovely becca xxx

beauty
16-10-07, 11:03
hiya becca,

I had a panic phase 2 years ago of about 6months, i stopped driving early on in this because i was scared to be alone, this meant that even when i started getting better i was terrified to drive alone, i could drive with other people in the car but not on my own. I gradually took small steps and i did beat it and was able to drive wherever i wanted after about 2months.
The

bexy1970
16-10-07, 11:07
thanks beauty, i have tried with my boyfriend with me, scarey but i did it,, ive got out of doin that now tho! its been bout 3 months since ive driven and getting me so down as ive lost my independance etc xx

beauty
16-10-07, 11:09
Hiya bexy,

I went through a similar thing 2years ago, i went through a bad phase of panic which lasted about 4months. Quite near the start of this i stopped driving because i was afraid of being alone, i could drive with other people in the car but never alone.
Even when i started to get better i found this particular thing hard to overcome, but with some determination i overcame it in about a month.
The first thing i did was a spur of the moment thing where i suddenly thought i would drive to the top of my (long) drive/lane, reverse at the top then come back down. I just did it and it felt really liberating (despite not having gone far!) then gradually i built it up. Everytime i would take my phone with me and have the windows open, radio on, and i kept telling myself if anything happened or i started paniking i would just either pull over and phone someone to calm down, or of the worst came to the worst pull over and ask someone for help. I never needed to ask anyone for help as knowing i could do if it happened kept me calm.
This summer the panic started again but i was determined not to stop driving again and (so far) i havent stopped even though its really scary at times, cos i know how easy it is to get into the habit of not doing, just accepting one lift off someone instead of driving yourself can leave you stuck in a rut.
I want you to know that it is possible, honestly i was considering selling up my car (and my freedom) cos i couldnt ever imagine driving again, but i did it and knowing i could drive again made every aspect of the panic seem better cos it made me feel in control again.
xx

beauty
16-10-07, 11:10
sorry hun, i somehow pressed send half way through typing that...posted the full one above! xx

bexy1970
16-10-07, 11:35
thaks chux thats a big incentive to me!! becca xx

knightbabe
16-10-07, 16:06
Hi bexy
My first panic attack was whilst driving. Completely scared me. I started off driving with someone in the car with me. Then I progressed to driving round the block alone. I just kept make the block bigger each time. But OH and I went out the other day to go somewhere and I forgot which way to go!

kate
16-10-07, 16:41
Well, I panic in fog, ice, snow, heavy rain, can't seem to drive in any of these conditions :blush: Oh, and I don't much like driving in the dark either.

Kate

nomorepanic
16-10-07, 21:41
You have come to the right place for advice and support and my issue is driving as well.

I don't want to bog you down with too much to read but try this CBT thread that I did when I had CBT for my driving issues. Loads of tips in there.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7162

Also have a read of the coping page on here - there are some great tips on coping whilst driving.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7162

Have you also tried Rescue Remedy??

Hope those are both of some help to you.