PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of catching coronavirus in hospital

elle95
30-04-20, 15:06
My sister is 7 and a half months pregnant and is due around the first week of june. Her pregnancy might be considered as "high risk" since she's 38 yrs old and has something called "placenta previa" + she has had a c section in her first pregnancy so it's highly likely she'll have another one. Otherwise she's a healthy woman and has no preexisting conditions.

So I probably have to go to hospital with her since I am the only close female she has around- our mom is 62 and has diabetes so we of course won't let her go out. I am very worried and scared we'll catch coronavirus there. If she has a c section we'll have to stay there for more days and the thought of coronavirus lurking in the air inside the hospital terrifies me. Although we have n95 masks, goggles and face shields and we'll also wear long clothes I still don't feel like we could be safe. The only "advantage" is that is a private hospital and they've been "in more control" of the situation compared to other hospitals yet that is not enough to put my mind at ease.

Don't know if I can endure 3 days wearing masks staying in a room waiting for the time to leave and thinking there are people around fighting / dying from that awful disease. Even thinking about that makes me feel anxious. I am really worried and need some insight about this.

Although I am only 24 and "healthy", still don't wanna take any chances with covid. Young people have died even babies and I am scared for the baby and both me and my sister :(

glassgirlw
02-05-20, 02:32
I think it’s only natural to feel concern. But - most hospitals (at least the ones I’ve read about it in the states) are isolating Covid cases on their own floor or ward to dramatically reduce risk of cross infection. I don’t know where you’re from so I’m not sure your hospitals policies but it might be worth calling to ask? It might help put your mind at ease.

Lencoboy
02-05-20, 15:41
I think a lot more is now starting to be known about this virus, and there will be even more knowledge and understanding of it over the coming weeks/months, so most hospitals and likewise establishments around the world should hopefully from now onwards have more appropriate procedures in place.