PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19 discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Pamplemousse
15-05-21, 18:18
Meanwhile in the U.S....

Vaccines have been approved for 12-16 years. We're trying to get all of the kids at my school vaccinated now.

However, while India has thousands dying everyday, and needs vaccines, we're still begging adults in some states to get vaccinated :/ It's hard to stomach sometimes.

We've got it here too, Vee; there's poor uptake of vaccines in the part of Northern England where the "Indian Variant" has taken hold.

AntsyVee
15-05-21, 18:25
We've got it here too, Vee; there's poor uptake of vaccines in the part of Northern England where the "Indian Variant" has taken hold.

Yeah, I just don't understand it at all, PM. I know people who have not cared for their health much at all who are suddenly too "health conscious" to take a vaccine. People believe some random video made by a chiropractor or med student posted on Facebook over a team of doctors at the CDC. I just find it all incredibly frustrating. It scares me if a disease like Ebola, where the mortality rate is much higher, ever started circulating the globe again...now that everyone is their own doctor and scientist, how do we even protect against the next pandemic? (This is probably my GAD talking, but the anxiety is there...)

Carys
15-05-21, 19:10
However, while India has thousands dying everyday, and needs vaccines, we're still begging adults in some states to get vaccinated :/ It's hard to stomach sometimes.

...and offering a cash lottery in Idaho for those who get vaccinated ? :/ Really shows some of the worst of the human race that lottery thing, where do you even start with breaking that one down.....

Mind, as said by PM, that issue exists here, poor uptake in certain areas.

It scares me if a disease like Ebola, where the mortality rate is much higher, ever started circulating the globe again...now that everyone is their own doctor and scientist, how do we even protect against the next pandemic?

I don't think that is GA talking actually Vee, I think thats something that may be frightening a lot of people right now, having seen some of the responses during this one.

Lencoboy
15-05-21, 19:46
It does seem that the worst affected areas right now are those with the lowest vaccine uptakes, and it beggars belief that people are still buying into the conspiracy theories about the vaccines being more harmful than even Covid itself, and the bats**t crazy beliefs about them being impregnated with microchips, etc, which there is still no evidence of whatsoever.

Mind you, the equally bats**t crazy hysteria over 5G masts about a year ago, just like the toilet roll mania, seems to have now gone south, thank God!

phil06
15-05-21, 21:55
I seen talk of 80,000 dying and also a massive summer wave and sage demanding the 17th May unlocking of lockdown doesn’t go ahead. Any thoughts why are they pushing the Indian wave so much when the vulnerable are vaccinated they claim younger people will end up in hospital that’s what media says?

phil06
15-05-21, 22:00
Talk of local lockdowns coming back too

AntsyVee
15-05-21, 23:40
I don't think that is GA talking actually Vee, I think thats something that may be frightening a lot of people right now, having seen some of the responses during this one.

Thanks, Carys. It blows my mind. If I lived in Brazil or India, and I saw what was going on in some parts of our countries, I think I would just cry. If people just got the vaccines here that we were saving for them, the excess could be sent to other countries.

@LB, I agree 100%

@Phil, I think there are considerations of lockdowns because you can never be too careful and you have to be transparent with people. If worst case scenario would happen, you'd have to go back into lock down. If you don't tell people there's a chance of that, they complain that they weren't warned.

Pamplemousse
15-05-21, 23:55
I seen talk of 80,000 dying

One word, Phil - where?

Phill2
16-05-21, 02:48
From today (Sunday) paper.

UK REOPENING PLANS IN CHAOSA rise in cases of the Indian coronavirus variant could “pose serious disruption” to Britain’s reopening plans, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has warned.
England will take the next step of reopening on Monday as planned, but the final stage, currently scheduled for June 21, could be in doubt.
“I do not believe we need to delay our road map,” said Mr Johnson.
But, “this new variant could pose a serious disruption to our progress,” he said, adding, “We will do whatever it takes to keep the public safe.”
The health ministry said the B1.617.2 variant is “beginning to spread increasingly rapidly” in northwest England and to a lesser extent in London, “and decisive action is being taken to further control its spread”.
The new variant has been detected in London, with Hackney residents being asked to present for surge testing.
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/d7da1bb83f0ca6e2f9ce8c0f19461afb
Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson says that the Indian COVID variant could risk the UK’s reopening plans. Picture: Getty Images
Second doses of vaccines will be accelerated for the over-50s and the clinically vulnerable in a bid to keep the strain at bay, Johnson told the press briefing.
Surge testing and possible local restrictions are also in the mix after infections of the variant rose from 520 last week to 1,313 this week, officials said.
The British government is waiting on data that will indicate if the new variant is more transmissible than other strains currently circulating before deciding on its next step, said Mr Johnson.
Scientists believe it is more transmissible, but are unsure of by how much, revealed Britain’s Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty.
If only slightly, the country will reopen as planned, said Johnson. But if there is evidence of uncontrollable spread and the threat of increased pressure on the National Health Service (NHS) then more restrictions are likely, he added.
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/72f5f3dac534aafa4c7da93c4efda1e3
A London greetings card shop displays a sign reading "Start buying stuff again or we're all screwed". Picture: Getty Images
‘TRUST OUR VACCINES’Britain has driven down cases over the last few months thanks to a successful vaccine campaign, and officials are optimistic they will be effective against the variant.
“So far, there is no evidence that our vaccine will be less effective against serious illness and hospitalisations,” said the prime minister, adding the country was “in a different position from the last time we faced a new variant.”
“We should trust in our vaccines … while monitoring the situation very closely,” he said.
The government last month added India, which is experiencing a devastating wave of deaths from COVID-19, to a travel red list, meaning travellers from the country have to quarantine in hotels on arrival in Britain.
In the northwest English city of Bolton, which has a sizeable population of South Asian origin, mobile testing units have been deployed and door-to-door testing is also on offer.
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/f761b81639c66020fe0aef9c25f05365
A man walks past a banner featuring a coronavirus testing site set up at St Mary's Church hall in London. Picture: AFP
Britain has been gradually reopening its economy, after months of coronavirus restrictions.
On Monday, indoor mixing will resume in England, including in pubs and restaurants.
Deepti Gurdasani, senior lecturer in epidemiology at Queen Mary’s University London, said that must now be postponed.
“Further, we may have to actually strengthen restrictions a bit more to get on top of this, because we need to remember this is actually growing with current restrictions in place and growing rapidly,” she told Times Radio.
The Indian variant is also triggering concern in Scotland and Wales, which administer their own health policy.
Scotland announced on Friday (local time) it was going ahead with its next stage of reopening on Monday, except in Glasgow, where restrictions will remain unchanged due to a rise in cases of the variant.

MyNameIsTerry
16-05-21, 06:31
I seen talk of 80,000 dying and also a massive summer wave and sage demanding the 17th May unlocking of lockdown doesn’t go ahead. Any thoughts why are they pushing the Indian wave so much when the vulnerable are vaccinated they claim younger people will end up in hospital that’s what media says?

Because right now they don't know. They think it won't impact on hospitals and those vaccinated but are awaiting the data. Scientists believe it more transmissible but don't know by how much.

Providing the vaccines work against it it won't impact on hospitals. Numbers will rise but in people who don't experience the worst of it.

The lack of clarity is to the media what a juicy pork chop is to a lion. They will go mad over it. But these are possible scenarios based on a lack of data so will be cautious.

MyNameIsTerry
16-05-21, 06:36
It does seem that the worst affected areas right now are those with the lowest vaccine uptakes, and it beggars belief that people are still buying into the conspiracy theories about the vaccines being more harmful than even Covid itself, and the bats**t crazy beliefs about them being impregnated with microchips, etc, which there is still no evidence of whatsoever.

Mind you, the equally bats**t crazy hysteria over 5G masts about a year ago, just like the toilet roll mania, seems to have now gone south, thank God!

More than that some spiritual leaders have been pulled up for anti messages.

A recent article from the BBC stated various reasons why uptake is lower in black communities. Lack of trust in government was one, another was a disproportionate level of spending compared to messages to the Asian community who had more.

It's understandable there lacks trust, and any working class community has felt that for quite some decades too, but the news is on daily. They can see what's happening. I think it's a bit of a cop out to absolve yourself of personal responsible because you haven't been targeted enough. And besides, some MPs did just this after the initial low vaccination rates in the black community (Diane Abbott is one I can remember straight away).

Having said that there are those who speak little English who need something specific. And those from countries where a uniform represents oppression. I would like to think they see this as from theirs doctors, they must see someone when ill, but staying away from authorities is understandable in these groups.

Carys
16-05-21, 08:41
The lack of clarity is to the media what a juicy pork chop is to a lion.

SO so true !

'They' must believe that the vaccine has some impact on the Indian variant, otherwise they wouldn't be urging vaccination and bringing forth appointments for the over 50s !

pulisa
16-05-21, 08:45
Just heard Matt Hancock say that there was tentative promising data about this..but basically they don't know. A decision will be made on 14th June re the next stage of lockdown.

TaleOn11
16-05-21, 09:19
So I'm confused. Are we still gonna continue the easing of lockdown or is there a chance we'll go back into it?

Pamplemousse
16-05-21, 12:05
So I'm confused. Are we still gonna continue the easing of lockdown or is there a chance we'll go back into it?

How long is a piece of string?

Views across the Internet vary from "carry on" to "I think we need a 'circuit breaker' NOW".

As far as I can see, tomorrow's easing will happen but what comes on 21/6 is most likely to be delayed. IF things materially deteriorate then we may end up back where we are as of today, unless the 'circuit breaker' option gets invoked but they just get ignored anyway - everyone seems to be a 'key worker' now.

(Which reminds me - I must buy some more masks.)

pulisa
16-05-21, 13:41
Poor old Matt Hancock is getting a grilling this morning..His shadow government counterpart was at the FA Cup Final yesterday without a care in the world..

I say put all countries on the red list and continue with things as they are until 21/6. Not popular with the hospitality sector or desperate sunseekers but what's the priority here? We don't want a National Covid Service, we want an NHS where there's room for cancers and other life-threatening and painful illnesses to be treated as a matter of urgency and not shunted to one side.

spectrum123
16-05-21, 13:49
Most of the information coming out seems to point to those that are vaccinated don't appear to be greatly affected by the Indian variant, it's mainly the unvaccinated and those that chose not to take it are the ones ending up in hospital. Hence, the huge queues at the pop-up vaccination centres in the high incidence areas yesterday, though that is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but every vaccination must help.

Pamplemousse
16-05-21, 14:45
Poor old Matt Hancock is getting a grilling this morning..His shadow government counterpart was at the FA Cup Final yesterday without a care in the world.

What the Shadow Health Secretary was doing yesterday is irrelevant, P. They're not in power so can do what they damn well like.

Hancock's got the job - he's also incompetent. So I have no sympathy if he's got a grilling off Marr, especially as Marr normally gives Tories an easy ride.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57134181

In Bolton there are 18 people in hospital with coronavirus, with the majority of those not having the jab despite being eligible, the health secretary said.

He added that five people had ended up in hospital having had one jab, while there was one there who had received both doses but was "frail".

The take-home from that BBC story is that the current vaccines work against it, but it is likely to become the new dominant strain.

Anyway, when the toothless wonders start filling up the Spoons from breakfast tomorrow, expect cases to rise sharply in a couple of weeks.

Lencoboy
16-05-21, 15:00
How long is a piece of string?

Views across the Internet vary from "carry on" to "I think we need a 'circuit breaker' NOW".

As far as I can see, tomorrow's easing will happen but what comes on 21/6 is most likely to be delayed. IF things materially deteriorate then we may end up back where we are as of today, unless the 'circuit breaker' option gets invoked but they just get ignored anyway - everyone seems to be a 'key worker' now.

(Which reminds me - I must buy some more masks.)

Yes, any new restrictions would probably be unworkable now, as compliance would probably end up being far lower, no matter how justified they were!

Lencoboy
16-05-21, 15:42
The main headline currently on the BBC website says that early lab tests reveal that the current vaccines are (mostly) effective against the Indian variant, which sounds promising, and only just one person so far (in Bolton) who has had both jabs is currently in hospital with it, but that person is reported to be frail anyway. Five further people have only had one jab so far, and the other twelve (the majority) are still unvaccinated.

Matt Hancock has announced that so far he is not aware of any deaths of anyone who had been vaccinated but since tested positive for the Indian variant.

pulisa
16-05-21, 17:53
What the Shadow Health Secretary was doing yesterday is irrelevant, P. They're not in power so can do what they damn well like.

Hancock's got the job - he's also incompetent. So I have no sympathy if he's got a grilling off Marr, especially as Marr normally gives Tories an easy ride.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57134181

The take-home from that BBC story is that the current vaccines work against it, but it is likely to become the new dominant strain.

Anyway, when the toothless wonders start filling up the Spoons from breakfast tomorrow, expect cases to rise sharply in a couple of weeks.

I wasn't suggesting that what Jonathan Ashworth was up to yesterday WAS relevant..Just contrasting their lifestyles at the moment. Who would want to be Matt Hancock, regardless of politics? I was actually listening to the interview with Sophy Ridge this morning.

AntsyVee
16-05-21, 18:34

There is always a chance any of us could go back into a lockdown. I don't say to that be alarmist, but there is always a chance that there could be a variant that our vaccines can't handle. That's why it's so important that the world works together to help countries like India and Brazil where the virus is running rampant. No public official is going to tell you that there will not be any more lockdowns because it would be their career if they were wrong. Public officials have to cover their asses.

The important things to remember: Get vaccinated. Encourage others to get vaccinated. Wear a mask in public places and around people you don't know.

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-21, 02:42
Hospital cases below 1,000 :yesyes:

Lencoboy
17-05-21, 16:58
Surprisingly today's national dashboard cases remain below 2k for the second consecutive day, despite the Indian variant now being more apparent, and more tests having been carried out over the latest 24 hour period.

It has been quite heartening to see photos of the lengthy queues of people in places like Bolton waiting to be jabbed. Looks like people are finally showing signs of getting more sensible and moving away from vaccine hesitancy!

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-21, 17:59
Surprisingly today's national dashboard cases remain below 2k for the second consecutive day, despite the Indian variant now being more apparent, and more tests having been carried out over the latest 24 hour period.

It has been quite heartening to see photos of the lengthy queues of people in places like Bolton waiting to be jabbed. Looks like people are finally showing signs of getting more sensible and moving away from vaccine hesitancy!

Over 2300 cases of the Indian variant alone, Lenco, so expect the stats to start spiking. At least hospital cases from this are low but there is some media spinning of the fact most were not vaccinated by choice...tiny numbers all round though. Good that vulnerable groups aren't ended up in hospital.

Hancock mentioned polling putting the UK as having the highest vaccine confidence. Not seen it yet but great for us and I'm hoping others are close behind or there is bad news too.

They have accelerated the jabs in two hotspots.

pulisa
17-05-21, 18:11
It would be ironic if the AZ were proved to be the most effective vaccine against the Indian variant, wouldn't it?

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-21, 18:19
Yes, it would mean some interesting u turns and a sudden dropping of that blood clot issue by some.

I thought calling it the China virus was racist yet no big outcry over the Indian variant?

Gary A
17-05-21, 18:23
Yes, it would mean some interesting u turns and a sudden dropping of that blood clot issue by some.

I thought calling it the China virus was racist yet no big outcry over the Indian variant?

Or Kent variant, South African variant, Brazilian variant.

Maybe it’s only racist when a certain orange gentleman coins the term.

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-21, 18:37
Cautious hugging is now allowed!

https://www.india.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Hugging-Gran.jpg

Carys
17-05-21, 18:39
Well, theres lots of variants and they need differentiating somehow. Surely its about how its said, the tone and the 'attached blame' that made it racist at the start when certain people used the phrase 'China virus'. It had a name even then, COVID19, but some people like the orange one chose to not use that term, but there are variants and people want to name them in the absence of any other name.

Lencoboy
17-05-21, 19:57
Well, theres lots of variants and they need differentiating somehow. Surely its about how its said, the tone and the 'attached blame' that made it racist at the start when certain people used the phrase 'China virus'. It had a name even then, COVID19, but some people like the orange one chose to not use that term, but there are variants and people want to name them in the absence of any other name.

I think there were other agendas involved with the orange gibbon a good while before Covid was even a thing. Remember that infamous 'trade war between the USA and China a couple of years prior to the pandemic?

I reckon orange gibbon Dollard must have had an intense hatred of China and all things Chinese for such snide name-calling (Chinese Virus)!

Lencoboy
17-05-21, 20:04
Over 2300 cases of the Indian variant alone, Lenco, so expect the stats to start spiking. At least hospital cases from this are low but there is some media spinning of the fact most were not vaccinated by choice...tiny numbers all round though. Good that vulnerable groups aren't ended up in hospital.

Hancock mentioned polling putting the UK as having the highest vaccine confidence. Not seen it yet but great for us and I'm hoping others are close behind or there is bad news too.

They have accelerated the jabs in two hotspots.

I think those 2300 cases you mentioned are culminative cases so far, as opposed to having been confirmed over the past 24 hours or even 7 days.

If they were within the latest 24-hour period, we would suddenly be back up to levels seen in March, with cases of all the other existing variants added as well.

You're right that it's encouraging that so far hospitalisations and deaths aren't going through the roof, unlike back in December and January.

And yes I know today is just one day in the great scheme of things, as we never know what might (or might not) be around the corner tomorrow and beyond!

Lencoboy
17-05-21, 20:07

Like I said in the other thread earlier today, the OAZ blood clot scares seem to have largely died down in the media of late.

phil06
17-05-21, 22:49
So they are planning local lockdowns and close shops and hospitality again. Couldn’t make it up round in circles open up and close down again. How long is this shambles going to continue? My anxiety is ramping up again as I thought we would finally recover from this pandemic yet we are back down the rabbit hole again looking at lockdowns despite what over 60% of all adults had a first dose?

Fishmanpa
17-05-21, 23:18
I thought we would finally recover from this pandemic yet we are back down the rabbit hole again looking at lockdowns despite what over 60% of all adults had a first dose?

Just think... It could be 60%+ if you decide to get the vaccine :whistles:

FMP

MyNameIsTerry
18-05-21, 05:49
Or Kent variant, South African variant, Brazilian variant.

Maybe it’s only racist when a certain orange gentleman coins the term.

Indeed. A bit like how the "America first" message was nationalism under Trump but all good under Biden.

MyNameIsTerry
18-05-21, 05:53
I think those 2300 cases you mentioned are culminative cases so far, as opposed to having been confirmed over the past 24 hours or even 7 days.

If they were within the latest 24-hour period, we would suddenly be back up to levels seen in March, with cases of all the other existing variants added as well.

You're right that it's encouraging that so far hospitalisations and deaths aren't going through the roof, unlike back in December and January.

And yes I know today is just one day in the great scheme of things, as we never know what might (or might not) be around the corner tomorrow and beyond!

The spike in recent days is, what, around half of that figure? The averages have been creeping up prior to this (down today) but they won't capture the impact of the Indian variant.

It won't be a big spike, more a blip I reckon.

MyNameIsTerry
18-05-21, 06:01

That might apply to the Kent strain from a xenophobic angle with some of our friends over a different stretch of water.

But it's all politics. China claimed it was racist, a laughable claim coming from a country mistreating one demographic based on their religion, sounding more like playing the victim at a time the world was watching the mess coming from there. I suspect it was lucky for them Trump was in since the media would side with them as opposed to other presidents who they may stick up for. But China and the US will continue their spats as surely as the US and Russia will. It's all money and power at the end of the day before even considering their true feelings towards each other.

What was a big problem was how it affected Chinese people in our countries. US rhetoric playing it's part but that's more about us than some leader of another country...

I think you are right to point out intention matters but I also think it doesn't matter depending on who's involved e.g. any coining of Israeli strain will be instantly branded racist as it would certain other cultures. I don't believe China care what anyone thinks, they just used it as a deflection from their mess.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 07:55
The spike in recent days is, what, around half of that figure? The averages have been creeping up prior to this (down today) but they won't capture the impact of the Indian variant.

It won't be a big spike, more a blip I reckon.

Hopefully you could be right Terry.

According to the dashboard site yesterday, in the 'Cases by area-LTLA' sub-section, Bolton recorded the highest number of cases (700-odd) over the past week or so, but my town, by contrast, only recorded 8 cases over the same period.

Again, no gloating intended as I really feel for the people of Bolton and other places like Blackburn, Bradford, Bedford, Glasgow, Nottingham and certain parts of London right now.

On the flip side, it's encouraging to see the people of Bolton in particular being proactive right now and finally getting jabbed en masse. Just a shame that many of them previously declined the jabs despite having the opportunity, but at least they're co-operating in a civil and orderly manner and now heeding the strongly recommended advice to get jabbed ASAP and not being dragged kicking and screaming into the vaccination centres.

My current sentiment is 'stuff the serial antivaxxers and conspiracy theorists'!

Carys
18-05-21, 09:14
How long is this shambles going to continue? My anxiety is ramping up again as I thought we would finally recover from this pandemic yet we are back down the rabbit hole again looking at lockdowns despite what over 60% of all adults had a first dose?

DO you know what they are doing in areas of surging variants - GIVING THEM THE VACCINE EARLIER. Phil, I try and let your overtly self-centred comments pass mostly (as it is clear you have an inability to see beyond your own needs and have empathy), but really quit this now. Are you actually part of the UK society ? Do you have any responsibility ? Do you think the rest of us are here to protect you in our actions ? Have you seen the terrified people having their vaccines, on this very site, as they feel moral responsibility. YOUR anxiety, YOUR anxiety, its always about that, most people are anxious yet they are trying to take action to BRING THIS PANDEMIC UNDER CONTROL. Don't want the vaccine, fine, but please stop complaining about the pandemic affecting you when you aren't doing anything to stop it. It is insensitive and misguided. We need as many people as possible to have this vaccine, for the well being of ALL of us.

Gary A
18-05-21, 09:51
A first dose provides around 50-65% protection. Good, but not as good as it can be. Herd immunity is going to require at least 80% of the population to be FULLY vaccinated, as in had both doses. You then also have to await immunity to build up, which takes around one month after a second dose.

The vaccine programme, in my opinion, has been a success story thus far but we are still a good few months from achieving any type of herd immunity threshold. Until that happens, and in reality we still don’t even know if this virus succumbs to herd immunity, variants that are more infectious will be a concern.

The improvements in deaths, hospitalisations and case rates are very apparent, but for us to go back to complete normal we need to be in a position to know that community transmission is virtually impossible. The only way for that to happen is for a huge majority of the population to be immune.

As ever, just sit tight. We’re getting there, we truly are, don’t let these little bumps in the road bring you down. Look at the positives, look at the progress, look at how well we’ve learned to fight this in only a few months.

Pamplemousse
18-05-21, 10:05
I'm not entirely sure that "herd immunity" in the UK is possible any more, like it isn't believed possible in the US now but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 11:27
A first dose provides around 50-65% protection. Good, but not as good as it can be. Herd immunity is going to require at least 80% of the population to be FULLY vaccinated, as in had both doses. You then also have to await immunity to build up, which takes around one month after a second dose.

The vaccine programme, in my opinion, has been a success story thus far but we are still a good few months from achieving any type of herd immunity threshold. Until that happens, and in reality we still don’t even know if this virus succumbs to herd immunity, variants that are more infectious will be a concern.

The improvements in deaths, hospitalisations and case rates are very apparent, but for us to go back to complete normal we need to be in a position to know that community transmission is virtually impossible. The only way for that to happen is for a huge majority of the population to be immune.

As ever, just sit tight. We’re getting there, we truly are, don’t let these little bumps in the road bring you down. Look at the positives, look at the progress, look at how well we’ve learned to fight this in only a few months.

It's a shame the authorities in this country failed to take swift action against the Indian variant just over a month ago (e.g, never even thought of mitigating measures such as surge vaccinations in affected areas) and as per usual left it until the horse had already bolted from the stable.

It's also scandalous that the govt also left it until the eleventh hour before adding India to the red list at the end of April, by which time the variant had already been let loose in this country, though it's speculated that there were political agendas at play for them being hesitant in not doing so sooner.

phil06
18-05-21, 11:30
DO you know what they are doing in areas of surging variants - GIVING THEM THE VACCINE EARLIER. Phil, I try and let your overtly self-centred comments pass mostly (as it is clear you have an inability to see beyond your own needs and have empathy), but really quit this now. Are you actually part of the UK society ? Do you have any responsibility ? Do you think the rest of us are here to protect you in our actions ? Have you seen the terrified people having their vaccines, on this very site, as they feel moral responsibility. YOUR anxiety, YOUR anxiety, its always about that, most people are anxious yet they are trying to take action to BRING THIS PANDEMIC UNDER CONTROL. Don't want the vaccine, fine, but please stop complaining about the pandemic affecting you when you aren't doing anything to stop it. It is insensitive and misguided. We need as many people as possible to have this vaccine, for the well being of ALL of us.

Exactly why I don’t bother posting here much anymore when people have a one minded poor attitude. I have nothing else to add as it’s not worth arguing with you over.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 11:40
Exactly why I don’t bother posting here much anymore when people have a one minded poor attitude. I have nothing else to add as it’s not worth arguing with you over.

Well what do you expect the powers that be to do about the current situation?

Simply do nothing and let the Indian variant risk causing a 'third wave' and inadvertantly a fourth national lockdown, which will cause you further angst and inconvenience?

On another forum (which I won't name on here) some sad case know-it-all has already piped up with some BS conspiracy theory about the Indian variant being a hoax by the UK govt and a deliberate ploy to get people jabbed against their will and inadvertently 'control' the UK population, plus turn us into a 'Nazi' state, which really made my blood boil!

I still think permitting people to go on holiday abroad from yesterday was a tad premature and it sadly seems that such lessons from last year still haven't been learned.

spectrum123
18-05-21, 12:14

What exactly have you done to help us get out of this situation. Wear a mask? Make a concerted effort to face your fears and get vaccinated?

BlueIris
18-05-21, 12:14
Sorry, Phil, I get that you struggle but you can't complain when you're an active part of the problem.

Carys
18-05-21, 12:20
Exactly why I don’t bother posting here much anymore when people have a one minded poor attitude.

Oh give me strength. :wacko: Listen again - don't wear a mask, don't get vaccinated - your choice entirely. However, don't have the absolute gall to constantly come on here (which has happened the whole pandemic) and complain about lockdowns, not being able to go to the cinema, the vaccine passports that will curtail you, the effect on your life and anxiety, the fact you can't go abroad, the uptake of vaccines being too low/high enough blah blah etc. We are not all here to save you, its called society, a community, its about all doing your part. Go and read some of the threads from people on here, those who are utterly utterly terrified of the vaccine, but who are trying so damned hard to address it. You know what, some of them might never get the vaccine due to their anxiety, but they feel some moral responsibility and are making an effort to at least tackle things - which I applaud them for. Its fortuate for you that most people are trying so hard to do what is right, at the level they are able. I know you have struggles, as Blue mentioned above, and that I understand - but I don't understand the complaining about the rest of society and its impact on you, as if you aren't part of it.

spectrum123
18-05-21, 12:42
Looks like Europe is going down the vaccine passport route.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9589403/EU-set-welcome-British-holidaymakers-Covid-vaccine-passports.html

Gary A
18-05-21, 12:50

I personally gave you a very detailed and normal reply directly addressing your concerns. There was even encouragement to look on the bright side in there.

You have zoned in on replies that you don’t like and completely ignored the ones that directly addressed your concerns. Why?

Your attitude is very poor itself but I personally see no point in pointing that out to you anymore because it’s evident that you’re not interested in changing it. You seem more concerned with being a victim all the time, whether at the hands of the pandemic or at the hands of other posters here. You’re MIA when things are going better but you’re here in a heartbeat when there’s something else that you can wring your hands over.

If you want help, I’ll help you, or at least I’ll try. You’ve got to be willing to accept that help, though. Drop the woe is me attitude, drop the victim mentality, try to show a bit more empathy and you’ll get a benefit from posting here. Using it as a sounding board for incessant complaining is going to do nothing more than annoy people and leave you feeling miserable.

Pamplemousse
18-05-21, 12:50
Looks like Europe is going down the vaccine passport route.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9589403/EU-set-welcome-British-holidaymakers-Covid-vaccine-passports.html

When I was discussing a trip to France recently I noticed that they are planning to introduce a "pass sanitaire" as part of their plans to unlock - this was two or three weeks ago?

https://www.gouvernement.fr/pass-sanitaire-toutes-les-reponses-a-vos-questions

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 13:00
I personally gave you a very detailed and normal reply directly addressing your concerns. There was even encouragement to look on the bright side in there.

You have zoned in on replies that you don’t like and completely ignored the ones that directly addressed your concerns. Why?

Your attitude is very poor itself but I personally see no point in pointing that out to you anymore because it’s evident that you’re not interested in changing it. You seem more concerned with being a victim all the time, whether at the hands of the pandemic or at the hands of other posters here. You’re MIA when things are going better but you’re here in a heartbeat when there’s something else that you can wring your hands over.

If you want help, I’ll help you, or at least I’ll try. You’ve got to be willing to accept that help, though. Drop the woe is me attitude, drop the victim mentality, try to show a bit more empathy and you’ll get a benefit from posting here. Using it as a sounding board for incessant complaining is going to do nothing more than annoy people and leave you feeling miserable.

I know this isn't Covid-related, but I also admit to feeling a bit guilty over constantly blathering on about many of my past ordeals (in non-Covid threads) and I hope people on here don't perceive me as to having a 'woe is me' attitude.

spectrum123
18-05-21, 13:09
When I was discussing a trip to France recently I noticed that they are planning to introduce a "pass sanitaire" as part of their plans to unlock - this was two or three weeks ago?

https://www.gouvernement.fr/pass-sanitaire-toutes-les-reponses-a-vos-questions

I think the EU are trying to unify member countries in a single system, so you don't need one for each country which would hamper travel and business. I would guess they will accept the proposed NHS app for UK travellers or you'll need to submit that information for them to issue an EU pass?

Pamplemousse
18-05-21, 13:52
I think the EU are trying to unify member countries in a single system, so you don't need one for each country which would hamper travel and business. I would guess they will accept the proposed NHS app for UK travellers or you'll need to submit that information for them to issue an EU pass?

As we're now a "third country" this could be interesting. I know someone who is privacy-obsessed and won't allow his medical details near the Internet - so I am assuming that there'll be a paper version as well as a digital version because not everyone has a smartphone, quite apart from everything else.

spectrum123
18-05-21, 14:25
As we're now a "third country" this could be interesting. I know someone who is privacy-obsessed and won't allow his medical details near the Internet - so I am assuming that there'll be a paper version as well as a digital version because not everyone has a smartphone, quite apart from everything else.

Sounds like they may have to wait a bit longer for their holiday! People like that make me laugh, it's already on the internet like banking it's just they can't see it!

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 17:25
Today's dashboard stats are rather interesting.

Surprisingly (and reassuringly) the 7-day trend for cases is down for the first time in about a week, despite the Indian variant, and today's cases are marginally lower than those of last Tuesday.

I was half expecting today's cases to be back above 3k again, though I suppose that could still happen during the remainder of this week but for the time being, so far so good.

Only 2 more deaths compared to yesterday (7 in total), the smallest Tuesday increase on Monday so far during this pandemic.

5 were in England and 2 were in NI.

Scass
18-05-21, 18:57

Phil you’re pretty much describing yourself there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scass
18-05-21, 18:59
I know this isn't Covid-related, but I also admit to feeling a bit guilty over constantly blathering on about many of my past ordeals (in non-Covid threads) and I hope people on here don't perceive me as to having a 'woe is me' attitude.

Everyone has problems, that’s how we found our way here. You’ve never blathered and you mustn’t feel guilty.

fishman65
18-05-21, 18:59
I know this isn't Covid-related, but I also admit to feeling a bit guilty over constantly blathering on about many of my past ordeals (in non-Covid threads) and I hope people on here don't perceive me as to having a 'woe is me' attitude.You don't have a 'woe is me' attitude Lenco, not at all.

phil06
18-05-21, 19:45
Today's dashboard stats are rather interesting.

Surprisingly (and reassuringly) the 7-day trend for cases is down for the first time in about a week, despite the Indian variant, and today's cases are marginally lower than those of last Tuesday.

I was half expecting today's cases to be back above 3k again, though I suppose that could still happen during the remainder of this week but for the time being, so far so good.

Only 2 more deaths compared to yesterday (7 in total), the smallest Tuesday increase on Monday so far during this pandemic.

5 were in England and 2 were in NI.

Funny that cases not rising cases actually fallen despite the Indian variant explain that?. I have been reading your doom for weeks and seen you call for another lockdown. This forum is absolutely full of garbage.

Fishmanpa
18-05-21, 19:51
Funny that cases not rising cases actually fallen despite the Indian variant explain that?. I have been reading your doom for weeks and seen you call for another lockdown. This forum is absolutely full of garbage.

Hmmmm.... being you're a member, what does that say about you? :whistles:

FMP

phil06
18-05-21, 19:53
Hmmmm.... being you're a member, what does that say about you? :whistles:

FMP

Thats why i distance myself from this forum and I left a few others covid has brought out the worst in people on forums. This forum is nothing more than a cult for a select few members these days. Take your jab wear your mask. That’s where I bow out and I’ve nothing more to add.

Fishmanpa
18-05-21, 20:13
Thats why i distance myself from this forum and I left a few others covid has brought out the worst in people on forums. This forum is nothing more than a cult for a select few members these days. Take your jab wear your mask. That’s where I bow out and I’ve nothing more to add.

It certainly has and frankly you're a shining example. Well then I guess the only thing to say then is :emot-wave:

FMP

(betting a Franklin that won't happen ;) )

Fishmanpa
18-05-21, 20:21
It's great that the CDC has updated mask wearing stipulations and it certainly feels much better not wearing one all the time but the wife and I, due to our pre-existing conditions and the fact we live in a rather 'red' area where ReTrumplicans, "Q" believers and antivaxxers abound, will continue to wear one when we're in public places (shopping etc.) for the time being even being vaxxed.

FMP

Carys
18-05-21, 20:26
This forum is absolutely full of garbage.

Pay no attention Lencoboy, Its a tantrum.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 20:40
Pay no attention Lencoboy, Its a tantrum.

Do I care? Not one iota!

spectrum123
18-05-21, 20:47

Because 70% of this country have had the balls to go and get a vaccine, some, and they've been writing on here, have made several trips to vaccine centres, eventually and through sheer determination they have overcome their fears and managed to get vaccinated. They do it not only do for themselves, their families and loved ones, but also for others they do not know or may never meet. They understand despite their anxieties the only way we can beat this is by all working together.
You must know by now the Indian variant is targeting the unvaccinated and is prevalent in areas of low uptake. It's now becoming apparent that the unvaccinated are the ones who could prolong the lockdown. The very thing you want to end, you are now prolonging, live by the sword, die by the sword. You've made your choice to do nothing to help the situation, it's now coming back to bite you on the ass.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 20:53

I am sorry Phil but that is where you're wrong. It is NOT true that I have been calling for another lockdown. All I asked a couple of weeks ago was 'does anyone think there should be a fourth national lockdown in order to nip the spread of the Indian variant in the bud'.

I was merely asking the opinions of others on here, as opposed to literally 'demanding' another lockdown, as much as I dread the thought of the worst-case scenario of us having no alternative but to have one if all other avenues currently being explored prove to be a complete and utter failure.

I seriously don't intend to be a doom merchant. I have grave anxieties myself just like pretty much everyone else on here.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 20:55

Your prerogative, mate.

Carys
18-05-21, 20:56
Do I care? Not one iota!

Good ! You aren't a doom merchant either, so please don't pay any attention, it IS honestly just a tantrum :roflmao:.

Bravo Spectrum !

Gary A
18-05-21, 20:59

A few days ago you posted this;

It’s a bleak situation. Areas in lockdown some of scotland remaining level 3. Happens every time all despite cases being very low and no increase. Last time this happened cases were rising but not this time. Time to cancel 2021 and write it off and hope 2022 is better?

Stop being a hypocrite, Phil.

Also, stop telling everyone that you avoid this forum. I genuinely don’t think anyone cares or notices that much.

Lencoboy
18-05-21, 21:01
Thank you Carys, Scass, FMP and FM65 for your reassuring words and to others on here in advance, should you decide to post on behalf of me.

Fishmanpa
18-05-21, 21:15
Also, stop telling everyone that you avoid this forum.

Post history proves otherwise anyway :whistles:

FMP

Pamplemousse
18-05-21, 22:09
This forum is nothing more than a cult for a select few members these days. Take your jab wear your mask.

Oh well, that post has proven something I've suspected for a long time...

fishman65
18-05-21, 22:21
Thank you Carys, Scass, FMP and FM65 for your reassuring words and to others on here in advance, should you decide to post on behalf of me.You're a top bloke Lenco, I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again here. Try not to doubt yourself (says one of the biggest 'Doubting Thomases' on the planet) :shades:

MyNameIsTerry
18-05-21, 22:28
Anyway, back to the thread. Lenco when you say the average has reduced despite the Indian variant is it the dates? I ask because the BBC average is always a week behind and won't include the recent spike.

Edit: the dashboard is reflected in the BBC chart but it's the search tool where they are behind. However you might find it takes a few days to push the average up. It will probably level out first despite individual days increasing

Pamplemousse
18-05-21, 22:48
Anyway, back to the thread. Lenco when you say the average has reduced despite the Indian variant is it the dates? I ask because the BBC average is always a week behind and won't include the recent spike.

Edit: the dashboard is reflected in the BBC chart but it's the search tool where they are behind. However you might find it takes a few days to push the average up. It will probably level out first despite individual days increasing

From HMG's website;

Revision to historical case data in England. The introduction of a new system disrupted the removal of cases where a positive rapid lateral flow test (LFD) was followed by all negative laboratory (PCR) tests taken within 3 days. Therefore 4,776 additional cases have been removed today. Regions and local authorities do not show the actual number of new cases reported. UK and England numbers of newly reported cases have been adjusted and correctly reflect new cases reported.

NoraB
19-05-21, 09:45
The Hubster and I made the most of Uncle Bozzer opening the cinemas and restaurants back up on Monday.:yahoo:

Anyhoo, we had a meal 'out' and I wasn't shivering my @rse off or asking for extra blankets. :scared10: (technically it's the 'scared' emoji but this is meant to be me dithering in the cold/mild/anything under 21 degrees)

Then I dragged him into to watch Grease where I had to sit with my glasses perched on the end of my nose (stern librarian style) so that I could breathe through my mask and see John Travolta without steaming up!

I can vouch for the sanitisation skills of Vue staff who were constantly wiping rails etc down. I felt safe, and enjoyed being able to do those things again - even if I did have to 'hit the pit' as soon as I got home due to fibro being an @rsehole!

Also, I first saw Grease in 1978 and we had to queue for FOUR HOURS! Straight in this time. Yay!

£3.49 for a packet of Maltesers though? I had to nip outside and check it said 'Vue' and not Dick Turpin's!! :whistles:

However, I am watching what's happening with this Indian variant and hoping that things can be controlled without the need to slam on the brakes locally again...

Lencoboy
19-05-21, 10:44
It was briefly mentioned this morning on the BBC's live Covid page that either cases or the spread of the Indian variant (can't remember exactly) might now be starting to show signs of 'flattening out', according to Neil Ferguson.

Scass
19-05-21, 17:06
The Indian variant is now the dominant variant in my London borough which is quite depressing. Cases still very low though.

I’ve also had a message that my 2nd jab has been cancelled and needs to be rearranged, but when I logged on to the nhs site it is still showing as current. I don’t think it’s a scam text though as it mentions my vaccination site.

Also I feel really guilty as someone invited my daughter to the cinema on Friday and I said she couldn’t go. I just don’t feel comfortable with it (although now I’ve read Nora’s post I feel a bit differently). However the girl has now asked my daughters best friend and so my daughter is upset. I know we are supposed to come out of lockdown at our own pace, but I’m wondering if my pace is a little slow!

Not even sure this is the right covid thread, I just needed to brain dump.

Hope you’re ok Lenco. Don’t take those words personally. Phil was rude and unnecessary.

Terry did you manage to even get your vaccine yet?

pulisa
19-05-21, 17:26
Scass, I was listening to a radio show on Monday where they mentioned that a school was shut in one London borough and that the variant was spreading quickly in the community. The dad who phoned in was on day 8 of covid but felt that he had suffered less thanks to having had one jab. I think you have done the right thing and need to be cautious for your little girl's sake. She won't want to bring illness home to her mum and dad. You go at your own pace. It's your decision and your decision will be the right one for you and your family x

Carys
19-05-21, 17:55
Also I feel really guilty as someone invited my daughter to the cinema on Friday and I said she couldn’t go. I just don’t feel comfortable with it (although now I’ve read Nora’s post I feel a bit differently). However the girl has now asked my daughters best friend and so my daughter is upset. I know we are supposed to come out of lockdown at our own pace, but I’m wondering if my pace is a little slow!

Your pace is your pace, mine is also probably considered 'slow' also LOL, but there is a lot to overcome after this last year or so and it takes time, step by small step. If it helps you to know, I would have made the same decision as you, in the situation you are in.

fishman65
19-05-21, 18:02
Yep I agree with you Carys. Just because we can hug multiple people doesn't mean I've been along my street knocking on every door to do just that. This is a gradual process and as gradual as each of us sees fit. 2019 seems such a long time ago now.

Lencoboy
19-05-21, 19:07
The Indian variant is now the dominant variant in my London borough which is quite depressing. Cases still very low though.

I’ve also had a message that my 2nd jab has been cancelled and needs to be rearranged, but when I logged on to the nhs site it is still showing as current. I don’t think it’s a scam text though as it mentions my vaccination site.

Hope you’re ok Lenco. Don’t take those words personally. Phil was rude and unnecessary.

I am fine thanks, Scass, and FYI I haven't taken Phil's remarks personally.

In fact, I couldn't even care less as I have far more important things to be caring about right now than petty tit-for-tat squabbles on here.

It's unfortunate that your London borough is currently hit by the Indian variant, although you said the cases in your area still remain very low.

BTW, today's deaths stats are encouraging as only 4 recorded within the entire UK over the latest 24-hour period (all in England), and is the lowest non-Sunday or Monday figure for absolutely ages.

The latest nationwide stats for Covid hospital admissions are looking rather encouraging too.

Seems there's signs that the vaccines are having the desired effect, by at least breaking the links between cases and deaths, especially as overall cases have generally remained more or less stable for the past 2-3 weeks or so.

Which is also the approximate time it takes for the jabs to start kicking in.

Scass
19-05-21, 19:10
Thanks Carys, Pulisa & Fish.
I wouldn’t even of thought of going to the cinema for some time.

A friend of mine went to a bbq with her family a couple of weeks ago. Most of them then caught covid! Most had received at least their first vaccine and had it pretty mildly.

I really just don’t have the urge to mix in large numbers.

Carys
19-05-21, 19:19
Most medics (well, you know, the ones I've read comments for on the news, so not MOST, but generally those who are assessing the situation) say to be careful over the next few weeks. We need to see how things pan out and be mindful of the new variants etc blah blah. Just because the government changes a rule doesn't mean, as Fish says, that everyone needs to dash out and behave as if the world is all safe again regarding the virus. If they urge caution - I respond with caution LOL

Lencoboy
19-05-21, 19:24
Yep I agree with you Carys. Just because we can hug multiple people doesn't mean I've been along my street knocking on every door to do just that. This is a gradual process and as gradual as each of us sees fit. 2019 seems such a long time ago now.

Yes you're right. 2019 does seem like a lifetime ago now.

Virtually the whole world left that year as complacent as ever with the 'I'm alright Jack' attitude, unaware of what was just around the corner in 2020 and so far into 2021.

On the other hand, this pandemic has also helped expose many things that have been wrong with the world for yonks now, that previously even most ordinary folks were generally blasé about, and tended to just shrug off. Misinformation being the first and foremost issue.

Lencoboy
19-05-21, 19:32
Thanks Carys, Pulisa & Fish.
I wouldn’t even of thought of going to the cinema for some time.

A friend of mine went to a bbq with her family a couple of weeks ago. Most of them then caught covid! Most had received at least their first vaccine and had it pretty mildly.

I really just don’t have the urge to mix in large numbers.

Well it's encouraging that they only had 'mild' Covid having had at least their first jabs so far.

It's increased proof of the jabs mostly having the desired effect.

Lencoboy
19-05-21, 20:43
I am fine thanks, Scass, and FYI I haven't taken Phil's remarks personally.

In fact, I couldn't even care less as I have far more important things to be caring about right now than petty tit-for-tat squabbles on here.

It's unfortunate that your London borough is currently hit by the Indian variant, although you said the cases in your area still remain very low.

BTW, today's deaths stats are encouraging as only 4 recorded within the entire UK over the latest 24-hour period (all in England), and is the lowest non-Sunday or Monday figure for absolutely ages.

The latest nationwide stats for Covid hospital admissions are looking rather encouraging too.

Seems there's signs that the vaccines are having the desired effect, by at least breaking the links between cases and deaths, especially as overall cases have generally remained more or less stable for the past 2-3 weeks or so.

Which is also the approximate time it takes for the jabs to start kicking in.

My mistake, it was actually 3 deaths today, where I (incorrectly) said 4 earlier.

Pamplemousse
19-05-21, 21:27
Your pace is your pace, mine is also probably considered 'slow' also LOL, but there is a lot to overcome after this last year or so and it takes time, step by small step. If it helps you to know, I would have made the same decision as you, in the situation you are in.

Same here. At my current workplace we have a social club that serves hot food and alcohol. Of course, I can technically eat/drink inside now but frankly I'd rather sit nursing my pint and gammon, egg and chips outside on the patio even if a shower does pass overhead, rather than be indoors! The nature of the job means occasionally I do have to get close to people (in order to see what their technical problem is) so the masks are going to be staying on for a LOOOOONG time after any arbitrary limit set by SAGE or whomsoever - I'll do what I think is in my best interest, weighed against cases, variants and suchlike.

Caution is the keyword here: do what you feel is safest for you and not be pressured by peers and idiots.

Scass
19-05-21, 22:12
Your current workplace sounds fab! Well, the lunch anyway.

NoraB
20-05-21, 07:20

Everybody has to come out of this in their own time and in their own way. I'm doing everything I can to be safe, and to keep others safe, and I have no fears in going out. Also, there were about 10 people in our film showing - all wearing masks. I just enjoyed being at the movies again!

Slow is good if that's what feels right for you.

pulisa
20-05-21, 08:03
Glad you enjoyed your cinema trip, Nora..It's all about what everyone is comfortable with. I do think it's hard for people with social anxiety though and just makes them feel even more "different" for not wanting to go out and hug everyone en masse.

NoraB
20-05-21, 10:08
Glad you enjoyed your cinema trip, Nora..It's all about what everyone is comfortable with. I do think it's hard for people with social anxiety though and just makes them feel even more "different" for not wanting to go out and hug everyone en masse.

I have social anxiety P - always have, always will - hence I'm liking the mostly empty cinemas right now - but it actually doesn't bother me that I don't feel the urge to hug random people.:unsure:

My general rule is this: unless someone has been up close and personal with my reproductive bits by birth or invitation (excluding doctors/midwives, obvs) - or I'm related to them in a sibling/daughter way - then people can keep their freakin' hands to themselves! And I'll be honest here: even fam gets avoided when I'm too sensitised to tolerate pressure. My husband makes a joke of it by saying 'DON'T TOUCH MEEEE' in a Sly Stallone voice. :huh:

pulisa
20-05-21, 13:02
My son once said he'd rather stab himself than have me hug him....so I got the message pdq!:D

NoraB
20-05-21, 13:57
Also, stop telling everyone that you avoid this forum. I genuinely don’t think anyone cares or notices that much.

Despite some of the inflammatory stuff Phil comes out with - some of us do care Gary.

If you want help, I’ll help you, or at least I’ll try. You’ve got to be willing to accept that help, though. Drop the woe is me attitude, drop the victim mentality. Try to show a bit more empathy and you’ll get a benefit from posting here. Using it as a sounding board for incessant complaining is going to do nothing more than annoy people and leave you feeling miserable.

'Drop this' 'Do that' 'Stop this' Stop that'.

This is a mindset that might work with people like you, but it's clearly not working for Phil is it?

Not all humans are born equal Gary. Some have a much harder time of existing than you do, and this doesn't make you better than they are; it just makes you more fortunate.

I'm not saying that I agree with what Phil says, by the way, that's not what this is about. Or that outbursts are excusable. It's about the way in which you (and others) are responding to him on this thread. I don't like it; it upsets me - especially when you tell him that 'we' don't care? That's an awful thing to say to someone who's clearly struggling Gary..

Pamplemousse
20-05-21, 14:32
But if 15 years on this forum in addition to, one assumes/hopes, professional help hasn't worked for Phil, what will?

I say this as someone berated by a friend for my catastrophic thinking, told to "get a grip" and told that I deserve the way he spoke to me because I am not doing enough to help myself beyond CBT (which I've found to be useless).

pulisa
20-05-21, 17:13
It's hard to support someone who wants a solution to his/her angst but only on his/her terms so how could therapy ever "work", whatever "work" means to that person?

I think that Phil has had a lot of time and attention paid to him over the years on here and hopefully he has at some stage felt a bit better just by having access to a forum such as this one.

He'll be back if he needs us without a mention of what has gone before, I expect.

Gary A
20-05-21, 17:56
I’ve tried to give Phil honest advice and he responded by berating this forum, calling people a “joke” and giving a fair bit of abuse to another poster who is very helpful and very informative. He’s also attempting to guilt trip everyone by repeating that he stays clear of this forum (he doesn’t) and I told him I didn’t think anyone cared if he stayed away for those reasons.

If I didn’t care full stop I wouldn’t have made so many honest attempts to give him answers to his questions and concerns.

Far worse was said to Phil by other members, and Phil was rather abusive himself. Call it tough love, I’m trying to offer him genuine help at the same time as trying to get him to realise he needs to help himself.

pulisa
20-05-21, 18:06
Please don't let this escalate...?

Gary A
20-05-21, 18:10
Please don't let this escalate...?

I’ve edited my post to be a bit less “me”. You’re correct, of course. I’ve clarified and now I’m out.

phil06
20-05-21, 18:11
I will apologise for having a go the other day I have been under some personal stress past few days so I may have got a bit annoyed so I am sorry for that. I do stand by avoiding the covid forum due to disagreements on the subject as I don’t think it helps anybody.

Gary A
20-05-21, 18:13
I will apologise for having a go the other day I have been under some personal stress past few days so I may have got a bit annoyed so I am sorry for that. I do stand by avoiding the covid forum due to disagreements on the subject as I don’t think it helps anybody.

Good man. Allow me to offer an apology to you also if I offended you with any reply. I hope you can see I was genuinely trying to get you to change how you view things as this is clearly detrimental to your mental health.

phil06
20-05-21, 18:15
Good man. Allow me to offer an apology to you also if I offended you with any reply. I hope you can see I was genuinely trying to get you to change how you view things as this is clearly detrimental to your mental health.

Thanks no I wasn’t offended. But I may have taken the 4th covid lockdown thing out of context. Don’t mean to offend anybody as I know everybody has there own battles during lockdown.

Gary A
20-05-21, 18:17
Thanks no I wasn’t offended. But I may have taken the 4th covid lockdown thing out of context. Don’t mean to offend anybody as I know everybody has there own battles during lockdown.

As I said to you in an earlier reply, try to look more at the positives of what’s happening right now. There are reasons to be optimistic, but you’ll never find them if you’re only looking for the negatives.

phil06
20-05-21, 18:21
As I said to you in an earlier reply, try to look more at the positives of what’s happening right now. There are reasons to be optimistic, but you’ll never find them if you’re only looking for the negatives.

Well yes the Indian variant headlines vs just 2 days ago is massive. Shows how much fear is out there in the media. That’s why I try and avoid news but I find it difficult.

Gary A
20-05-21, 18:26
Well yes the Indian variant headlines vs just 2 days ago is massive. Shows how much fear is out there in the media. That’s why I try and avoid news but I find it difficult.

We all find it difficult to avoid news from all kinds of media outlets, but that’s my point. There is good news out there, and by focusing more on that you’ll find it easier to view the “bad news” with a lot more context.

MyNameIsTerry
20-05-21, 19:54

Scass, I agree with everyone else. The rules are holding back a wave of people who yearn yo run free. Those more cautious don't see opening up as mandatory to them.

My dad hasn't been to his local since it all started. Even when reopened he decided not to go because he doesn't believe such a small bar could he effectively socially distanced. I think it would do him good to see his friends and have a break from home problems but only when he feels comfortable we are far enough through all this. And he will take some hand gel rather than rely on what they put out, in shops we wouldn't need our own, whereas we don't carry our own, since pub doors can't be kept clean (just think toilets alone).

No, I couldn't get in for my jab since the site insists you book both together. A few slots were opening up for the first but the second were all outside the city. Pulisa recommended booking both regardless and cancelling the second. So now I'm booked in for Monday. My surgery are only doing second jabs so now I can try that route later on as well as the main site.

Scass
20-05-21, 20:31
I hope your Dad feels up to going for a pint soon.

Glad you are booked in for your first. I think a lot of things are changing at the moment re 2nd ones - I’ve just had to rebook mine for 10 days earlier.

NoraB
21-05-21, 06:49

Way to go Phil! It takes balls to publicly apologise. Nice one!

NoraB
21-05-21, 06:55
Good man. Allow me to offer an apology to you also if I offended you with any reply.

Nice one Gary.

I don't know what you edited out of your other responses after I commented but I can imagine. :emot-prettywink: It doesn't matter though because all has ended well, and it's pleasant to see.

Lencoboy
21-05-21, 09:07
Yes, definitely nice for us all to reconcile and put all our individual angst behind us.

Like I keep saying, the media do have a lot to answer for given their tendency to hype things up.

Having said that, there was (oddly) very little mention of Covid on the BBC website for the most part of yesterday outside of the main rolling live page.

Also, so far this morning, the BBC website seems to be giving Covid in general very little coverage apart from in the live rolling page.

Even the front pages of today's daily rags (also shown on the BBC website) aren't giving Covid and the Indian variant in particular, the same attention as earlier in the week.

NoraB
21-05-21, 10:44
Yes, definitely nice for us all to reconcile and put all our individual angst behind us.

Indeed. I was expecting another @ss whoopin' from Gary but there wasn't one. :ohmy:

More so, he and Phil were having a case of the cordials! :ohmy:

Bravo, I say. BRAVO!! :emot-cheering::emot-cheering:

Catkins
21-05-21, 11:57
Just thought I'd pop in here and say hello. I guess with everyone else it's been a tough year.

Worked through it in varying degrees of PPE. Fully vaccinated. Not had it fortunately.

Anyway, hello.

Lencoboy
21-05-21, 12:00
Today's live rolling page for all things Covid has somehow disappeared from the BBC website.

Mind you, the foremost headline today is about their own historical controversy concerning Princess Diana back in late 1995.

The only national daily paper with Covid-related news on the front page today is the Metro, which tells of all the vaccines being effective against all variants, including the Indian one, which is encouraging.

Gary A
21-05-21, 12:02
Nice one Gary.

I don't know what you edited out of your other responses after I commented but I can imagine. :emot-prettywink: It doesn't matter though because all has ended well, and it's pleasant to see.

Nothing more than the usual petty and overly defensive nonsense that causes me no end of grief, really. Pulisa gave me a gentle nudge in the right direction. I really should take more peoples advice, my life would be so much easier.

pulisa
21-05-21, 13:01
Just thought I'd pop in here and say hello. I guess with everyone else it's been a tough year.

Worked through it in varying degrees of PPE. Fully vaccinated. Not had it fortunately.

Anyway, hello.

Hello Catkins and welcome to the thread!

You've obviously made a huge contribution to the assault on Covid and I admire you greatly for coping with all the changes not to mention the PPE equipment which you must have had to contend with. How are you feeling now?

Catkins
21-05-21, 14:21
Luckily I'm community based, although was redeployed last year to a rehab ward in and old folks home.

How am I feeling now? Totally burnt out, I somehow managed to get through most of the pandemic coping with the anxiety. I guess since February when my mum died things started to get to me. She was so careful throughout the pandemic and had her first vaccine (which she was delighted about) two weeks before she died. Plus I didn't get to see her much in the last year of her life. So it's been a tough time really.

P.s. I hated the clapping for the carers. Most of us didn't want to be clapped for, we would rather have been at home.

Pamplemousse
21-05-21, 15:53

Anyway, hello.

I would put a waving emoji here, but the mobile editor doesn't support that.

So, pretend that I've posted a waving emoji to say "hello" to you. :)

Catkins
21-05-21, 18:32
🙋*♀️

pulisa
21-05-21, 19:37
I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum and all the trauma you have had over the past year plus, Catkins. You must be completely burnt out along with having to cope with grieving at the same time..No wonder you are struggling.

Probably a stupid question but are you getting any support?

Catkins
21-05-21, 21:01
Yes. I kind of had a complete meltdown a couple of weeks ago and contacted the local crisis team. I was with them until today - I was discharged as not classed as 'at risk' anymore (but can contact if necessary). Have an assessment with the community team next Tues.

Not great times for anyone with any kind of anxiety really.

pulisa
22-05-21, 08:05
I hope they were of some help to you, Catkins..I know the service can be of limited use but if they helped you through an understandable crisis point then that will be reassuring should you need them again.

Likewise with the community team. I hope you are listened to and that they can provide appropriate support as soon as possible. Just being able to talk about your anxiety can be a relief sometimes and you are dealing with a very recent bereavement too at a time when Covid denied you the opportunity to grieve naturally...if that makes sense? Is there ever a way to grieve "naturally" but I mean without restrictions.

NoraB
22-05-21, 09:15
Nothing more than the usual petty and overly defensive nonsense that causes me no end of grief, really.

I could have written this myself as my responses have a habit of getting me into shit too, and not just on here. It's called Emotional Dysregulation and this issue came up big time in couple's therapy a few months ago. Only the NT therapist kept going on about buckets? :huh: No idea what she was on about so I looked to the autistic community for help and came up with a very helpful workbook - and this is why it took me a few days to respond to your comments instead of diving straight in there and making a massive @rse of myself. I possibly still made an @rse of myself? But it was a slightly smaller @rse. You know I'm capable of @rseholery of epic proportions - which has only ever made me feel like shit, and for a long time afterwards. :weep:

Gary, you're big enough to own your mistakes and I respect that. Kudos, and all that. On the other hand, it's a shame you didn't post the unedited response to me as that would have tested my new skills for sure! :winks:

Also, I'm slightly constipated and a good rumble with you always gets the old colon moving again! :dribble:

Have a good weekend. :shades:

NoraB
22-05-21, 09:19
Mind you, the foremost headline today is about their own historical controversy concerning Princess Diana back in late 1995.

Don't start me Len! It's disgusting what the BBC pulled on a vulnerable human being...:mad:

Pamplemousse
22-05-21, 11:58
Yes. I kind of had a complete meltdown a couple of weeks ago and contacted the local crisis team. I was with them until today - I was discharged as not classed as 'at risk' anymore (but can contact if necessary). Have an assessment with the community team next Tues.

Not great times for anyone with any kind of anxiety really.

That in particular was very difficult to read, Catkins - but I am pleased you had prompt and effective help. I've come close to an intervention from a crisis team myself, many years ago. That was during bereavement counselling.

I hope all goes well on Tuesday and that you continue to recover :)

Pamplemousse
22-05-21, 12:02
Don't start me Len! It's disgusting what the BBC pulled on a vulnerable human being...:mad:

Err... she agreed to put herself on the telly, Nora.

What was it Richard Littlejohn said about her? Plenty of newspapers exploited her too.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pDqXH7PYsww/YKe8C3TO3hI/AAAAAAABjzM/Mx9hrwTqEkgpYUENDaczN_w74xFBybeugCLcBGAsYHQ/s320/Sun385.png

She'd still be here if she'd worn a seatbelt.

However, this has got precisely sod-all to do with Covid.

Lencoboy
22-05-21, 13:27

What was it Richard Littlejohn said about her? Plenty of newspapers exploited her too.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pDqXH7PYsww/YKe8C3TO3hI/AAAAAAABjzM/Mx9hrwTqEkgpYUENDaczN_w74xFBybeugCLcBGAsYHQ/s320/Sun385.png

Yeah, you can probably blame me then, as I was the one that brought it up on here in the first place, but more in the sense that yesterday and Thursday there was (oddly) less Covid-related news than usual, and that was one of the likely factors I pointed out.

But I agree, debates about Lady Di and royalty in general belong in another thread (e.g, 'Today's headlines' in the 'Misc' sub-section).

pulisa
22-05-21, 13:37
Yes I think she was quite keen to put her message across on any TV channel.

I feel sorry for Prince Charles..He's got all this dredged up and his younger son is attacking him again on some glossy MH channel. He has just lost his dad too.

Nowt to do with Covid..but maybe a brief hiatus from it.

Catkins
22-05-21, 14:27
First meal out since lockdown eased - felt very safe, plenty of social distancing, all guidelines followed.

Would definitely do it again.

Pamplemousse
22-05-21, 14:42
First meal out since lockdown eased - felt very safe, plenty of social distancing, all guidelines followed.

You have more confidence than me: I found myself forced to eat indoors for the first time yesterday and I couldn't get out of the place fast enough. The only reason I didn't eat outdoors was because of the torrential rain and the umbrellas all being removed because of the wind.

Fishmanpa
22-05-21, 15:16

Good for you! Our 7th anniversary/wife's birthday is coming up and I booked dinner at the Inn we got married at. They're set up for social distancing and we're vaxxed so no worries. It will be the first time since this all started that we'll be dining out. Looking forward to it :)

Positive thoughts

Lencoboy
22-05-21, 15:28
The ZOE stats seem to be going down again today, following a marked increase in cases over the past couple of weeks.

Today they're in the 2.5k range, a few days ago they were almost brushing with 3k (approx 2.8 or even 2.9k at one point). However, they're at least 4 days behind, so today's ZOE case stats are probably based on those from around Tuesday or Wednesday this week, at the latest.

pulisa
22-05-21, 17:47
Good for you! Our 7th anniversary/wife's birthday is coming up and I booked dinner at the Inn we got married at. They're set up for social distancing and we're vaxxed so no worries. It will be the first time since this all started that we'll be dining out. Looking forward to it :)

Positive thoughts

I hope you both have an extra special celebratory dinner out! Congratulations!

Gary A
22-05-21, 17:51
The ZOE stats seem to be going down again today, following a marked increase in cases over the past couple of weeks.

Today they're in the 2.5k range, a few days ago they were almost brushing with 3k (approx 2.8 or even 2.9k at one point). However, they're at least 4 days behind, so today's ZOE case stats are probably based on those from around Tuesday or Wednesday this week, at the latest.

Again, crucially, while those cases have raised slightly but overall remained around 2500 per day for the past few weeks, the levels of hospitalisations and death are still falling.

It’s now averaging out at about 6 deaths per day UK wide. Of course, anyone dying of anything is a tragedy, but if hospitalisations and deaths remain at current levels despite around 2500 new infections per day we really are no longer dealing with a global health emergency.

Gary A
22-05-21, 18:07
Apologies Nora, I’ve just noticed this reply.

I could have written this myself as my responses have a habit of getting me into shit too, and not just on here. It's called Emotional Dysregulation and this issue came up big time in couple's therapy a few months ago.
I’ve never heard of that. I’ll have a bit of a read into that as there’s definitely a bit of a temper problem with me at times.

Also, I'm slightly constipated and a good rumble with you always gets the old colon moving again! :dribble:
I guess that renders me a sh*t stirrer in more ways than one.

Have a good weekend. :shades:
Same to you.

Catkins
22-05-21, 20:41
You have more confidence than me: I found myself forced to eat indoors for the first time yesterday and I couldn't get out of the place fast enough. The only reason I didn't eat outdoors was because of the torrential rain and the umbrellas all being removed because of the wind.

My stepdad went into a Wetherspoons today and he lasted 5 minutes.

I guess I was quite lucky it was in a quiet, well-organised place.

pulisa
22-05-21, 20:52
I can imagine that it was a free for all in Wetherspoons..Glad that your experience was far better, Catkins.

I was happy to sit indoors at a local tea room during the week. I don't see anything enjoyable in huddling round a table outside with the rain lashing down.

Pamplemousse
22-05-21, 22:20
I don't see anything enjoyable in huddling round a table outside with the rain lashing down.

It fits well with my mood most days. I enjoy watching the rain fall in such circumstances, especially if I'm alone.

Lencoboy
22-05-21, 22:55
I can imagine that it was a free for all in Wetherspoons..Glad that your experience was far better, Catkins.

I was happy to sit indoors at a local tea room during the week. I don't see anything enjoyable in huddling round a table outside with the rain lashing down.

Can't beat a nice decent tea room, Pulisa, especially with buttered scones topped with strawberry jam and clotted cream. Yummy scrummy!!

Still, another step back towards relative normality, and doing the things we all know and love so dear once again.

Lencoboy
22-05-21, 23:03
Again, crucially, while those cases have raised slightly but overall remained around 2500 per day for the past few weeks, the levels of hospitalisations and death are still falling.

It’s now averaging out at about 6 deaths per day UK wide. Of course, anyone dying of anything is a tragedy, but if hospitalisations and deaths remain at current levels despite around 2500 new infections per day we really are no longer dealing with a global health emergency.

You could be right there Gary.

Despite the scares over the Indian variant over the past couple of weeks, and cases in general stubbornly remaining in the 2k range, the Covid hospitalisations and deaths have still generally continued their downward trend, so chances are, we could still be over the worst here in the UK, especially as almost getting on for 75 per cent of the adult population has now had (at the very least) their first jab, plus a sizeable proportion have now also had their second jab.

Which is probably the main factor behind the continued lower rates of hospitalisations and deaths.

Still, only time will tell though.

pulisa
23-05-21, 08:00
It fits well with my mood most days. I enjoy watching the rain fall in such circumstances, especially if I'm alone.

Me too..but indoors!

Lencoboy
23-05-21, 09:54
IT'S OFFICIAL!

According to the main headline on the BBC website this morning both OAZ and Pfizer ARE effective against the Indian variant, but mostly following both doses.

Nevertheless, I still won't be dropping my guard just yet and shall still be following the existing guidelines in the meantime, even if mostly for the benefit of the still-unjabbed.

Still fab news though!

Carys
23-05-21, 10:11
Its really really good news, so great to read that this am.

Catkins
23-05-21, 10:49
After a successful lunch out yesterday we went to the pictures last night.

Felt very safe covid-wise. It's a small independent cinema (in our small town), so I feel like they made extra effort.

Did feel anxious when I was there but don't think that was covid related. I think it was more of a general anxiety compounded by realising half way through that I'd forgotten to turn my phone off and was terrified that it would make a noise.

Anyway - Nomadland is a very good film if anyone gets the chance to see it.

I do love going to the pictures so I am so happy I managed it.

Pamplemousse
23-05-21, 11:44
Did feel anxious when I was there but don't think that was covid related. I think it was more of a general anxiety compounded by realising half way through that I'd forgotten to turn my phone off and was terrified that it would make a noise.

Like my brother realising he'd not muted his phone halfway through my wife's funeral.

Lencoboy
23-05-21, 13:25
Its really really good news, so great to read that this am.

Obviously the onus is now on the authorities to scrupulously keep a close watch on whatever further Covid variants might still arise in due course, both domestically and internationally, and to act swiftly in order to nip them in the bud ASAP.

It does seem a case of pure pot luck that all vaccines seem to be proving effective against all known variants so far, but of course, once again, there is no room for complacency.

Catkins
23-05-21, 13:48
Like my brother realising he'd not muted his phone halfway through my wife's funeral.

😱

NoraB
24-05-21, 06:54

A BBC journalist used false documents (deception) to obtain an interview with Diana - a woman who'd endured years of emotional abuse from her husband, his @rse licking cronies, and his mistress. By this time, Diana was paranoid and 100% convinced that everyone she trusted in royal circles were plotting against her. And there was Bashir - pretending to be her 'friend'. Diana's obvious vulnerability was exploited by him and the powers that be at the BBC who gave this debacle the go ahead.

I don't know about you P, but I see that a vulnerable human being who made an incredibly poor choice (as is often the case with mental health issues) and she paid dearly for it. She lost her HRH, her dignity, and members of the royal family who she cared about, but the ultimate price was her life.

Had Diana been under royal protection that night, the accident wouldn't have happened. There would have been no drunk driver, no route through the Pont de L 'Alma tunnel, and her seatbelt would have been on. As it was, the sole survivor of that crash was the bodyguard who failed to ensure her safety. Royal protection officers wouldn't have started the car without the belt being on. The way I see it? Without royal protection this was always going to happen. Death by car 'accident' or some nutter. Turned out to be a car 'accident' - just like she'd predicted for herself.

Agreed, but I'm answering your comments and it was Lenco who brought Diana up, not me. :noangel:

NoraB
24-05-21, 07:01
I do love going to the pictures so I am so happy I managed it.

Me too! I intend to go again in a few weeks. There are not many new films about (I didn't fancy Peter Rabbit 2) so I think I might watch Hot Fuzz on the big screen next time. :yesyes:

Lencoboy
24-05-21, 08:05
Well I intend to venture into town today to get my first haircut for eons. I know hairdressers have been open again for a few weeks now, but I decided to wait until the mad rush had mostly died down plus it's been 3 weeks on Saturday just gone (22nd May) since I had my second jab, so hopefully I should be mostly free from the risks of catching severe Covid by now, though of course I shall still be wearing my mask, as is still a legal requirement in indoor public places until further notice.

Lencoboy
24-05-21, 17:11
Well I intend to venture into town today to get my first haircut for eons. I know hairdressers have been open again for a few weeks now, but I decided to wait until the mad rush had mostly died down plus it's been 3 weeks on Saturday just gone (22nd May) since I had my second jab, so hopefully I should be mostly free from the risks of catching severe Covid by now, though of course I shall still be wearing my mask, as is still a legal requirement in indoor public places until further notice.

I managed to get my haircut this morning, plus I also popped into Wilko's whilst I was in town.

It was quite emotional for me as it was the first time I set foot in our town centre since 2nd March 2020 (on which date, by coincidence, was the last time I visited that very same hairdressing salon for a haircut), which was only just a matter of days before this pandemic really started (officially) gathering pace in this country, but strangely it felt like I was only there just yesterday despite it being almost 15 months ago now.

I felt similar emotions when I started travelling by train again to and from my day centre in Burton back in March for the first time in over a year, which again, felt as if it was still only the day before when I last set foot in said train and both stations!

pulisa
24-05-21, 17:43
It's strange how that happens,isn't it? Have you been cutting your hair yourself in the meantime, Lenco?

Lencoboy
24-05-21, 17:52
It's strange how that happens,isn't it? Have you been cutting your hair yourself in the meantime, Lenco?

I did attempt a DIY haircut last July, but made a right pig's ear of it, so my dad ended up shaving the lot off for me which in turn made me look like a skinhead, though surprisingly most people told me (in a positive way) that it suited me, which I found reassuring.

At least it stopped me looking like a scruff bag though. In fact, I looked like an even bigger scruff bag up until this morning's trip to the hairdresser's.

I do feel like my old self once again now, plus it was yet another step back towards normality for me, which of course added to the emotion.

Even though we're still not out of the woods yet, I feel more reassured by the news over the weekend that having both jabs is now officially effective against the Indian variant as well as all existing ones, so I now kind of feel safe in the knowledge that the chances of me catching severe Covid are very remote!

pulisa
24-05-21, 20:02
The Indian variant has inevitably reached Surrey/Hants but hopefully the surge testing will control spread. I'm glad I'm double jabbed as are my children. I've got faith in the vaccine.

Lencoboy
24-05-21, 20:22
The Indian variant has inevitably reached Surrey/Hants but hopefully the surge testing will control spread. I'm glad I'm double jabbed as are my children. I've got faith in the vaccine.

I reckon it's probably reached pretty much every county/region of England by now, but like you said, hopefully it will be kept under greater control by means of surge testing and vaccinations.

Luckily far more seems to be known about Covid now compared to this time last year, or even 6 months ago when we were approaching the height of our second wave amid the Kent variant running riot, plus of course not only do we now have jabs but evidence now also proves that they're mostly effective against Covid so far, regardless of variant.

Lencoboy
26-05-21, 16:12
Oh dear, we're back in the 3k range for the first time since 12th April, and I am now wondering if we're now experiencing a 'mini' third wave in the UK?

Despite this, the govt have still admitted that they have no intention of imposing any further lockdowns, nationally or even locally.

In turn, I reiterate that I am still NOT insisting that they do so, at least not at this stage, unless overall cases escalate rapidly over the coming days/weeks (e.g, 5-9k range, or above), and we all know that Bozzer and Co often end up caving in, but hopefully things won't deteriorate to such an extent in order to warrant it this time round, especially as the vast majority of the UK population have now been jabbed.

On the other hand, I suppose cases touching 3k today are still very much a walk in the park compared to the situation back in early January when daily cases almost brushed with 70k at one point. Plus only a handful of the population had been jabbed at that stage, unlike now where almost 73 per cent have now had their first jab and 44 per cent their second.

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-21, 18:11
The averages are slow upward trends so that shouldn't be a cause for concern. Looming at the map the areas still higher than most are popping from blue to orange. If they sort the Indian variant areas out that trend is going to start a slow decline again.

Slight increase in national hospital numbers too which will be connected.

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-21, 18:18
I did attempt a DIY haircut last July, but made a right pig's ear of it, so my dad ended up shaving the lot off for me which in turn made me look like a skinhead, though surprisingly most people told me (in a positive way) that it suited me, which I found reassuring.

At least it stopped me looking like a scruff bag though. In fact, I looked like an even bigger scruff bag up until this morning's trip to the hairdresser's.

I do feel like my old self once again now, plus it was yet another step back towards normality for me, which of course added to the emotion.

Even though we're still not out of the woods yet, I feel more reassured by the news over the weekend that having both jabs is now officially effective against the Indian variant as well as all existing ones, so I now kind of feel safe in the knowledge that the chances of me catching severe Covid are very remote!

Sounds like you were starting to resemble Captain Caveman :biggrin:

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1200x680_hero/public/wire/legacy/6b24c681ec5cb0596492a4dd3fab61eb_1000-images-about-clip-art-captain-caveman-clipart_1089-1144.jpeg

It must have been a tricky year for women...and the blokes on TOWIE :biggrin: I gave up on fancy haircuts years ago and now prefer something easily maintained so it's a grade 3 all over and a bit of cleaning up for me. The downside being some people think you're a bit rough but it onlybencourages more social distancing :yesyes:

I would have been fine too since my dad was a hairdresser in his youth. He used to go to the regional competitions as well. Later changed to landscape gardening. So I could probably get a nice figure of a swan cut into my hair with the hedge shears :roflmao:

phil06
26-05-21, 19:01
Time for me to jump back in this topic.

A few questions maybe Terry or Gary can answer them best?

Why are cases rising in Scotland and England but falling in Israel and also Wales? Both these places recorded single figures like 17. Now both are miles apart so you can’t tell well Israel doesn’t have the Indian variant? Wales is part of UK and has almost zero COVID!!

So cases are rising when things opened in England it made no odds but seemed to at the next stage on May 17th. We hear transmission isn’t happening in pubs or even outdoor events. 15 cases I think with large gatherings which was tiny so they say full crowds at the Euros will go ahead. From what I hear they say house hold mixing if causing the rise. So what is it over crowded houses perhaps and vaccine hesitancy?

I also read a quote by a professor who advises the government who said if hospital admissions and deaths don’t rise we are no longer in a pandemic so tick that box despite a rise in cases we are all good. Why not tell us how many of today’s 3 thousand plus cases had the vaccine? I read a post here which said some people here went to a BBQ all vaccinated and still got COVID but surely that’s almost impossible but very rare maybe they were hugging and lots of booze? If that was widespread we would still be seeing 60k cases?

Now last year at this time cases were FALLING? This is a seasonal virus but what do we put it down to? The fact May has been freezing and beeches have been empty? We are not in summer weather.

The Indian variant isn’t much more transmissible they say so why are cases rising? Are we going to have to accept a few thousand cases per day I really don’t see that as Israel record single figures? Something is very very wrong when we are recording this many cases. Perhaps the poor weather and over crowding is having a issue as I say and Wales isn’t too built up a place like Glasgow? If we are not recording single figures in July in scotland I would be worried as I do not see why we should not?

Gary A
26-05-21, 20:12
Why are cases rising in Scotland and England but falling in Israel and also Wales? Both these places recorded single figures like 17. Now both are miles apart so you can’t tell well Israel doesn’t have the Indian variant? Wales is part of UK and has almost zero COVID!!

I don’t get your point here. Wales is far smaller than England and a bit smaller than Scotland. There of course is the issue with the Indian variant being more prevalent in certain areas of England and Scotland, Wales just isn’t seeing that.

So what is it over crowded houses perhaps and vaccine hesitancy?

A bit of both most likely. That and more transmissible variants.

I also read a quote by a professor who advises the government who said if hospital admissions and deaths don’t rise we are no longer in a pandemic so tick that box despite a rise in cases we are all good.

Well if it’s an infectious disease that’s detected globally technically it will still be a pandemic. However, in the absence of severe disease despite infections staying at a steady rate, it’s no longer a global health emergency.

Why not tell us how many of today’s 3 thousand plus cases had the vaccine?

That would take quite a lot of data gathering of things like whether these folk are fully vaccinated or partly, how long after vaccination did these infections occur, did they happen before or after vaccination etc. It would be foolhardy in the extreme to put out that type of information without intense study into the exact circumstances.

Now last year at this time cases were FALLING? This is a seasonal virus but what do we put it down to? The fact May has been freezing and beeches have been empty? We are not in summer weather.

This isn’t a seasonal virus, there’s absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever. Summer weather does nothing to curb the spread of this virus, some of the warmest countries on the planet have been hit with huge waves of this virus in the height of summer.

The Indian variant isn’t much more transmissible they say so why are cases rising?

It is quite a bit more transmissible, mix that with lockdown restrictions easing, schools returning, more people returning to office environments etc, this will all add to the toll. There’s also a huge increase in surge testing in a fair few areas and this will of course lead to more detection of cases.

Are we going to have to accept a few thousand cases per day I really don’t see that as Israel record single figures?

Israel have fully vaccinated a far larger portion of their population than the UK. Israel is also tiny in comparison, with a population of around 9 million compared to our roughly 66 million.

Something is very very wrong when we are recording this many cases.

That simply isn’t true. There are many reasons why these rises are pretty much expected, the key is whether these new infections are symptomatic or not, or if they’re causing huge amounts of severe illness. Thus far, they don’t seem to be, with deaths and hospitalisations consistently falling despite plateaus and even slight rises in new cases.

If we are not recording single figures in July in scotland I would be worried as I do not see why we should not?

I really don’t see why not, but even if we aren’t it will only be proportionate to the severe outcomes of cases. If there are no, or very very few severe outcomes, there really won’t be any need to really even pay attention to case numbers.

spectrum123
26-05-21, 20:56
Wales has moved on to the 18-29 group for first vaccinations, so are ahead of the curve in the UK. Israel is going about it slightly differently in that they are concentrating on double dosing as quickly as possible. While only 60% have had at least one dose, 56% are fully vaccinated. Israel is fairly robust with those wishing to travel there, and its own population's ability to use certain areas with a no vaccine, no entry to some public areas, and first dose is not enough, it must be both.

Latest advice I could fing was from 7th April, so further relaxations may have taken place.
Restaurants, cafes, and event halls have reopened nationwide. Restaurants and cafes are permitted to provide indoor services for individuals who have received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine or who have recovered from the disease; individuals who have not been immunized are relegated to dining outdoors only. Event halls have reopened to individuals who have been immunized or recovered from COVID-19. Gatherings are limited to 20 people indoors and 50 people outdoors.

Standalone stores, malls, open-air markets, museums, and libraries have also reopened. Students in select grades have returned to in-person classes in cities and towns with low infection rates. Gyms, cultural and sporting venues, hotels, and swimming pools have resumed operations; however, access is restricted to people who have received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine or who have recovered from the disease. Places of worship have reopened to the public. Movement restrictions have been lifted and residents are permitted to visit the homes of others. Facemasks are mandatory in public.

Authorities could reimpose, extend, further ease, or otherwise amend any restrictions with little-to-no notice depending on disease activity over the coming weeks.

Lencoboy
26-05-21, 22:02
I don’t get your point here. Wales is far smaller than England and a bit smaller than Scotland. There of course is the issue with the Indian variant being more prevalent in certain areas of England and Scotland, Wales just isn’t seeing that.

A bit of both most likely. That and more transmissible variants.

Well if it’s an infectious disease that’s detected globally technically it will still be a pandemic. However, in the absence of severe disease despite infections staying at a steady rate, it’s no longer a global health emergency.

That would take quite a lot of data gathering of things like whether these folk are fully vaccinated or partly, how long after vaccination did these infections occur, did they happen before or after vaccination etc. It would be foolhardy in the extreme to put out that type of information without intense study into the exact circumstances.

This isn’t a seasonal virus, there’s absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever. Summer weather does nothing to curb the spread of this virus, some of the warmest countries on the planet have been hit with huge waves of this virus in the height of summer.

It is quite a bit more transmissible, mix that with lockdown restrictions easing, schools returning, more people returning to office environments etc, this will all add to the toll. There’s also a huge increase in surge testing in a fair few areas and this will of course lead to more detection of cases.

Israel have fully vaccinated a far larger portion of their population than the UK. Israel is also tiny in comparison, with a population of around 9 million compared to our roughly 66 million.

That simply isn’t true. There are many reasons why these rises are pretty much expected, the key is whether these new infections are symptomatic or not, or if they’re causing huge amounts of severe illness. Thus far, they don’t seem to be, with deaths and hospitalisations consistently falling despite plateaus and even slight rises in new cases.

I really don’t see why not, but even if we aren’t it will only be proportionate to the severe outcomes of cases. If there are no, or very very few severe outcomes, there really won’t be any need to really even pay attention to case numbers.

We had fewer daily cases than right now last June and July, but deaths were still quite a bit higher back then than they are now.

The lower death rates right now are obviously down to the vaccines.

I guess the increases in daily cases of late were pretty much inevitable due to the latest easements of restrictions, coupled with the spread of the Indian variant, but like I said in my previous post, aren't really at this stage worth making a song and dancing over, compared to the situation back in December and January.

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-21, 06:17
Phil, just to add a few things.

I doubt the Israeli police are so worried about enforcing laws as ours.

If you look at the BBC map you will see large areas of England and Scotland in light blue shades. These areas are about the size of Wales and littered with towns & cities. Looking at my own city we are <20 cases per 100k of a 260k population. We are in the 2nd lowest shade on the map. The other four areas I look at which border us are in the lightest shade ranging from 5-10 per 100k.

I think there are multiple factors in play: low or Indian variant, spread out populations, vaccine hesitancy in certain ethnic/religious groups.

The latter hit us last year and I think that may have brought it home to the Asian conmunity who have more multi generation households (Yeah, some have and still are ignoring everything just as some white or black or whatever people are) because one community saw surge testing due to a few households across a few streets.

Aside from this reports investigating vaccine hesitancy in the black community have reported more was put into the Asian community in terms of information. This will hit some areas. We have far less black people than Asian people around here. Head further into the West Midlands and many more live there. This may be a factor if the reports apply to them (distrust of institutions, religion, etc).

Our city is well spread out unlike further into the West Midlands or North West where you can see it getting worse at the moment. Social distancing being harder in higher, denser populations. We can't always do it around here so they've got less chance.

So what is Wales like? I've driven around plenty of it and it's not dissimilar to much of England in the sense it's well spread out. I can't speak for Cardiff but Swansea is spread out.

The more we vaccinate the more we break the chain. The virus starts becoming isolated. Less denser populations can achieve that more easily. Wales is less densely populated so for comparison you would look to a similiar county level population in England. And like I said much of it is in the lowest blue shades.

I watch my city and it's still coming down. It's only going up in some places and they are causing the weekly averages to slowly increase. I'm sure they are causing the last 2 days of small increases in hospitalisations as they always lag weeks behind. But perhaps remember previous times where all of us increased and suddenly that curve was steep rather than the current shallow one. Small increases or localised ones are manageable with increased measures. National increases are a different ball game.

NoraB
27-05-21, 07:49
I would have been fine too since my dad was a hairdresser in his youth. He used to go to the regional competitions as well. Later changed to landscape gardening. So I could probably get a nice figure of a swan cut into my hair with the hedge shears :roflmao:

I watched a film about hairdressers recently; Blow Dry. Bill Nighy and Alan Rickman going head to head (geddit?) in a hairdressers competition.

My sister in law was a hairdresser which meant I got my 80's streaks done for free, and aside a momentary blip when she gave my dad a perm (his attempt to hide his bald patch) she did a decent job of our hair.

Believe it or not, old Nora trained (briefly) as a hairdresser but I discovered that the social side wasn't for me ha ha! Spent more time round the back cleaning the fridge out. :blush: Plus, I might have turned my brother's mate's hair green? Oops!

I think I've had one hair cut during the whole pandemic? Luckily for me, I'd already rejected being slave to colouring every six weeks, so I grew my hair out (looked like a badger for about a year) and then had highlights to blend it all in and now I'm so naturally grey/white that regrowth isn't visible..:shades:

Only issue was with my 'boyz' because they have shorter hair cuts in the normal way and by the time the barber shops opened up again, they looked like The Ramones! Even my haircut hating autie son was asking when he could have his hair cut!

Lenco; I used to shear my lads hair back in the 90s. Couldn't afford haircuts (and my sis-in-law was in retirement) so I bought me some Wahl hair clippers. Put it this way; nits ceased to be an issue. :yesyes:

phil06
27-05-21, 12:52
My wife’s friends got covid one person they said already had a vaccine and still got it. That worries me I mean is it a case of we need people double jabbed to get herd immunity and very low cases? What level of numbers would we go down to after people receive both doses? Like I say Wales and Israel are recording low cases is that possible in scotland or England? I worry COVID is back on the rise again.

Carys
27-05-21, 13:07
That worries me I mean is it a case of we need people double jabbed to get herd immunity and very low cases?

Possibly, they've been saying the last few weeks that the second vacc is critically important and bringing forward those second jabs for the 50 age group. At the risk of starting another controversy, but still needing to point out, the PEOPLE you mention are everyone else Phil and not you. Does even the current situation not make you think carefully about your non-vaccine (due to anxiety) position ?

Gary A
27-05-21, 14:03
My wife’s friends got covid one person they said already had a vaccine and still got it. That worries me I mean is it a case of we need people double jabbed to get herd immunity and very low cases? What level of numbers would we go down to after people receive both doses? Like I say Wales and Israel are recording low cases is that possible in scotland or England? I worry COVID is back on the rise again.

Phil, if one dose conferred immunity then people would only get one dose. Simple as that. Double dose vaccines work by the first dose priming the immune system and the second dose boosting it. Sure, a single dose will give a decent level of protection, but to achieve anything like herd immunity you need an uptake of around 80% and a vaccine that gives around 90% protection. Even that might not be enough for herd immunity.

People need to be FULLY vaccinated, as in both doses, before we even begin to have conversations about herd immunity. We are still a good way away from that.

phil06
27-05-21, 16:26
Cases down in scotland today but over all up to 3 and a half thousand in UK. A worrying rise seems we are onto another wave so any hope of international travel looks low as nobody will let us in?

spectrum123
27-05-21, 16:38
Phil, if one dose conferred immunity then people would only get one dose. Simple as that. Double dose vaccines work by the first dose priming the immune system and the second dose boosting it. Sure, a single dose will give a decent level of protection, but to achieve anything like herd immunity you need an uptake of around 80% and a vaccine that gives around 90% protection. Even that might not be enough for herd immunity.

People need to be FULLY vaccinated, as in both doses, before we even begin to have conversations about herd immunity. We are still a good way away from that.

I agree with you, I don't think we will ever get full herd immunity. I think from vaccinated to vaccinated we will get a form of herd immunity. But the unvaccinated will always remain vulnerable to both those that are vaccinated and those who are not.

phil06
27-05-21, 16:50
I agree with you, I don't think we will ever get full herd immunity. I think from vaccinated to vaccinated we will get a form of herd immunity. But the unvaccinated will always remain vulnerable to both those that are vaccinated and those who are not.

Yes but I read 3/4 have anti bodies so have natural immunity from catching COVID anyway. If you had covid you have as much protection as a vaccine hence why they will let those who had covid do stuff too.

Gary A
27-05-21, 17:09
Yes but I read 3/4 have anti bodies so have natural immunity from catching COVID anyway. If you had covid you have as much protection as a vaccine hence why they will let those who had covid do stuff too.

So why are you worrying about another wave?

phil06
27-05-21, 17:12
So why are you worrying about another wave?

Well I fear we don’t get out the lockdown/masks/social distancing cycle if we are constantly battling waves of covid. It’s the Indian variant next it will be something else. I am sure they told us one single dose was enough to reduce these cases. I read they are now blaming those who are ineligible for vaccines like under 18’s.

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-21, 17:40
Cases down in scotland today but over all up to 3 and a half thousand in UK. A worrying rise seems we are onto another wave so any hope of international travel looks low as nobody will let us in?

No, cases are up due to rises in some places like with the Indian variant. Look at the map, much of England have under 50 cases. These areas are not going up. It's concentrated in a small number of areas. You don't close a country because a small section is increasing, you bring in local measures to contain it.

Gary A
27-05-21, 17:41
Well I fear we don’t get out the lockdown/masks/social distancing cycle if we are constantly battling waves of covid. It’s the Indian variant next it will be something else. I am sure they told us one single dose was enough to reduce these cases. I read they are now blaming those who are ineligible for vaccines like under 18’s.

One single dose is enough to reduce cases, that much is evident.

You keep saying you’ve read this and read that, do you ever read anything that might answer these questions?

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-21, 17:42

Many areas of England are less than the national average. It's already proven to be possible. Don't look at it at country level, whole counties are the same as Wales if you looked at the map.

pulisa
27-05-21, 17:46
Why are you back on the covid discussion thread, Phil? You know it doesn't help your anxiety?

spectrum123
27-05-21, 17:54

It does help if you've had covid from an immunity point of view, and they will join the vaccinated herd. Those that haven't had it or refuse or can't have the vaccine will sit around the periphery of the herd liable to be picked off by covid and some threat of that will come from within the herd itself.

As more countries populations reach higher vaccination level they will start to open up and welcome more overseas visitors, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Lencoboy
27-05-21, 18:11
No, cases are up due to rises in some places like with the Indian variant. Look at the map, much of England have under 50 cases. These areas are not going up. It's concentrated in a small number of areas. You don't close a country because a small section is increasing, you bring in local measures to contain it.

Testing is also up nationally over the latest 24 hour period, which I guess could explain part of the increase in cases.

Furthermore, jabs are still on the up again today, both first (73 per cent total) and second (45 per cent total).

I know Phil still refuses point blank to get jabbed, but obviously that's his prerogative, as it's still a free country in that respect.

3.5k cases today is a worry, but like you said Terry, they're mainly concentrated on specific areas and the bulk of the persons affected are probably those who are still unjabbed.

Remember we had 68k cases on the 8th January this year, and today's figure is still way down on that.

Carys
27-05-21, 18:17
Why are you back on the covid discussion thread, Phil?

Entirely his prerogative to choose to have a vaccine or not Lencoboy, but I repeat again that - it is therefore jarring to keep commenting about herd immunity and the level of the people needing to be vaccinated to ensure his safety. I agree with Pulisa here, I thought Phil said he was avoiding these threads.

Lencoboy
27-05-21, 18:25
Entirely his prerogative to choose to have a vaccine or not Lencoboy, but I repeat again that - it is therefore jarring to keep commenting about herd immunity and the level of the people needing to be vaccinated to ensure his safety. I agree with Pulisa here, I thought Phil said he was avoiding these threads.

Well why doesn't Phil stick to his word then?

phil06
27-05-21, 18:51
I have a lot of questions that’s why I had to come back. I am surprised testing is up I don’t know many who had the vaccine who got tested to be honest. Maybe it’s just a bump in the road the rise in cases as things are being eased in Wales. We seen rises a while back and it dropped again. Despite the rises Sturgeon and other politicians are striking a note of optimism.

Fishmanpa
27-05-21, 19:33
I have a lot of questions that’s why I had to come back.

So you feel that strangers on an anxiety site thread you said you'd stay away from are a better source of information for the questions you seek answers to? Not to say there aren't very knowledgeable people here because there are some very well read people that have studied the science but they got their information the same as everyone else :shrug: It still comes down to simple solution of getting the jab. This way you're protected and are protecting others. Or, risk it and if you get COVID and survive, you'll have some immunity.

FMP

Scass
27-05-21, 20:01
I have a lot of questions that’s why I had to come back. I am surprised testing is up I don’t know many who had the vaccine who got tested to be honest. Maybe it’s just a bump in the road the rise in cases as things are being eased in Wales. We seen rises a while back and it dropped again. Despite the rises Sturgeon and other politicians are striking a note of optimism.

I test twice a week for work, lots of people do. Maybe more people are going back to work now so more are testing?

phil06
27-05-21, 20:42
I test twice a week for work, lots of people do. Maybe more people are going back to work now so more are testing?

Possible I never kept an eye on testing how much more are we testing now than a few months ago? I just assumed testing had fallen given cases were lower.

Gary A
27-05-21, 21:40
Possible I never kept an eye on testing how much more are we testing now than a few months ago? I just assumed testing had fallen given cases were lower.

The best way to get a more accurate picture of rising cases it to look at the test positivity rate. This is a far better way of seeing a true rise or fall in cases rather than something artificially beefed up by more testing.

In Scotland, for instance, the test positivity rate is hovering around 1.8%. It has been this way for around 6 weeks and despite rises in newly confirmed cases, the positivity rate is rather steady. This is stone cold evidence of just how much looking at newly confirmed cases can skew your outlook.

By all means research if you must, but try to put it into some context and you’ll be a lot less gloomy.

NoraB
28-05-21, 08:40
By all means research if you must, but try to put it into some context and you’ll be a lot less gloomy.

Nobody does gloom 'n' doom like our Phil. But I'm liking the optimism, Gary. :yesyes:

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 09:04
Nobody does gloom 'n' doom like our Phil. But I'm liking the optimism, Gary. :yesyes:

You're dead right Nora. Gary is certainly a credit to this thread whenever it comes to rationalising the current situation.

NoraB
28-05-21, 09:19
Gary is certainly a credit to this thread whenever it comes to rationalising the current situation.

I concur.

Carys
28-05-21, 10:44
I've concurred this in advance , on another thread ! ;)

I see that today a new title on Beeb is 'Scientists who advise the UK government stress the importance of vaccines amid the fight against variants and hopes of easing restrictions'.

Fishmanpa
28-05-21, 13:20
Here in the US, more than half the population has been vaccinated. New cases were under 25K yesterday and the trend is continuing. Considering where we were a few short months ago, it's encouraging. This has led to mask mandates being lifted. Even in stores now, the signs read no mask needed if you've been vaxxed. I've certainly relaxed my wearing of one but not 100% ready to go without while shopping, especially since the area we live is 'red'neck country :wacko:

FMP

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 14:47
Here in the US, more than half the population has been vaccinated. New cases were under 25K yesterday and the trend is continuing. Considering where we were a few short months ago, it's encouraging. This has led to mask mandates being lifted. Even in stores now, the signs read no mask needed if you've been vaxxed. I've certainly relaxed my wearing of one but not 100% ready to go without while shopping, especially since the area we live is 'red'neck country :wacko:

FMP

That's pleasing to know FMP.

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 14:49
I've concurred this in advance , on another thread ! ;)

I see that today a new title on Beeb is 'Scientists who advise the UK government stress the importance of vaccines amid the fight against variants and hopes of easing restrictions'.

Yes, there was some rather interesting commentary on the BBC website this morning about vaccines vs variants.

Quite reassuring in general.

phil06
28-05-21, 15:06
Hate to be negative but over 600 cases per day in Scotland. Was around 1,000 a day in December before vaccines. It’s an alarming rise. Seems much higher than elsewhere in UK?

Pamplemousse
28-05-21, 16:12
New cases were under 25K yesterday and the trend is continuing. Considering where we were a few short months ago, it's encouraging. This has led to mask mandates being lifted. Even in stores now, the signs read no mask needed if you've been vaxxed.

Two things here: one, how do you know that maskless person next to you has been vaccinated/isn't a mask denier and two, AFAIK you don't have the Indian Variant... yet.

Fishmanpa
28-05-21, 16:21
Two things here: one, how do you know that maskless person next to you has been vaccinated/isn't a mask denier and two, AFAIK you don't have the Indian Variant... yet.

Thus why I said I'm not comfortable going maskless yet. But we are vaxxed.

FMP

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 16:26
Hate to be negative but over 600 cases per day in Scotland. Was around 1,000 a day in December before vaccines. It’s an alarming rise. Seems much higher than elsewhere in UK?

Sadly it does seem to be Scotland that's largely copping the brunt of Covid case increases in the UK right now.

A real shame considering they were a lot more on the case than us here in England in their handling of the pandemic for the most part of last year.

Ditto for Wales and NI in terms of being more 'on the case' at the same time!

Gary A
28-05-21, 16:29

Well, that was long before surge testing and routine lateral flow testing was used. It was also long before walk in test centres were available. It’s kind of strange you’d mention 1000 cases per day in December rather than mentioning the peak of over 3000 cases per day in January. Is that because 1000 is a lot closer to 600 and therefore can be used to wring your hands?

Context, Phil. Please try to use it.

phil06
28-05-21, 18:56
Well, that was long before surge testing and routine lateral flow testing was used. It was also long before walk in test centres were available. It’s kind of strange you’d mention 1000 cases per day in December rather than mentioning the peak of over 3000 cases per day in January. Is that because 1000 is a lot closer to 600 and therefore can be used to wring your hands?

Context, Phil. Please try to use it.

We have lots of testing but I thought we don’t need that long term once people are vaccinated? Also we had this testing a few weeks ago and cases have doubled from 2k to 4K. If you ask me it’s another wave coming but we were warned this would happen. I read the vaccine is only 33% effective on the Indian variant after first dose so yes for me I fear we could get to 20k cases maybe not 60k. COVID was low last summer so it’s strange one I can’t get my head round it. 72% of adults had this vaccine final number likely to be close to 100%. Wales today recorded 32 cases they seem to be getting something right. Perhaps they are ahead on vaccines? I hope this is the case and Scotland doesn’t see this surge continue and maybe we will see cases drop to single figures. When this happens herd immunity should be close after all second doses. Gary said we are a long way for that I believe July for all first doses under 18’s September and all second doses is a matter of months away. Herd immunity should be reached before winter 2021.

Carys
28-05-21, 19:07
Maybe not enough people HAVE been vaccinated/taken up the vaccine ? Just throwing that out there.

Lencoboy
28-05-21, 19:37
Maybe not enough people HAVE been vaccinated/taken up the vaccine ? Just throwing that out there.

Well as of today's stats, 73.8 per cent have had their first jab and 46.5 have had their second.

Jab rates have gone up quite a fair bit over the past 2-3 weeks just as the Indian variant was really starting to rear it's ugly head throughout the UK, so hopefully cases won't quite reach the levels of earlier in the year.

Looks like we might just as well concede that the third wave has now started, but like I just said above, hopefully won't be as serious as the first two, especially the second.

Fishmanpa
28-05-21, 19:37
Again, the solution is simple. Get the vax. No sense in looking at numbers and speculating when, if you're not vaxxed, you're part of the problem. Even those who have had COVID (my daughter and SIL and even Trump) have gotten the vax. It's safe, proven to be effective (even against variants) and you're helping yourself as well as everyone else.

FMP

phil06
28-05-21, 19:47
Well as of today's stats, 73.8 per cent have had their first jab and 46.5 have had their second.

Jab rates have gone up quite a fair bit over the past 2-3 weeks just as the Indian variant was really starting to rear it's ugly head throughout the UK, so hopefully cases won't quite reach the levels of earlier in the year.

Looks like we might just as well concede that the third wave has now started, but like I just said above, hopefully won't be as serious as the first two, especially the second.

Yep sadly looks like a third wave. I am surprised as they said it wouldn’t come until late summer. I wonder what it will peak at? I think it’s a race between vaccination and stopping the third wave.

Carys
28-05-21, 20:42
I think it’s a race between vaccination and stopping the third wave.
If you aren't getting vaccinated, then you are part of the problem. I won't comment any further as its frustrating me that you have the bare faced nerve to comment (regularly) about people needing to be vaccinated, and yet because you are anxious you aren't having it.

Gary A
28-05-21, 22:46
Yep sadly looks like a third wave. I am surprised as they said it wouldn’t come until late summer. I wonder what it will peak at? I think it’s a race between vaccination and stopping the third wave.

This whole pandemic has been a race, Phil. No vaccine has ever been put together, manufactured and distributed worldwide with the pace of current vaccines. The whole reason for lockdown was to buy time in order to get ahead in this race.

We are easing lockdowns, there is a variant of this virus that is quite a bit more transmissible than previous variants. It is utterly INEVITABLE that cases will rise due to the mixture of loosening restrictions, unvaccinated citizens and variants that find it easier to infect. There’s also the rather huge addition of far more testing.

I don’t know how many times I need to repeat this, but new infections simply do not have the same potency as they once did. An infectious 12 year old is far less likely to infect a fully vaccinated parent or grandparent. The new case halts with the 12 year old, whereas before they would most likely infect at least 3 other people, now the infection is far more likely to stop with them. Even if it is passed on, it’s either passed to someone of similar age who will at most feel mild illness, or an older vaccinated relative who again will be far more likely to experience mild illness due to said full vaccination.

For the love of all that is holy, please try to use some context!!

phil06
28-05-21, 22:54
Thanks well like I say maybe I am buying the media fear. They told us vaccinate 15 million then freedom. Now they want everybody double jabbed and wait another two months. Someone on another forum said pandemics can last 4 years and i am also seeing Xmas events and stuff going online only again this year. I apologise as I seem to be reading the negative headlines. Perhaps when people are doubled jabbed then this pandemic will be over if that doesn’t solve it then who knows what will? I hope to come back to this topic by July and things have improved and the pandemic is coming to an end well that’s my hope.

Fishmanpa
28-05-21, 23:56
I hope to come back to this topic by July and things have improved and the pandemic is coming to an end well that’s my hope.

And again... very simple... You can help yourself and others by getting the vax :whistles:

FMP

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-21, 03:11
Thanks well like I say maybe I am buying the media fear. They told us vaccinate 15 million then freedom. Now they want everybody double jabbed and wait another two months. Someone on another forum said pandemics can last 4 years and i am also seeing Xmas events and stuff going online only again this year. I apologise as I seem to be reading the negative headlines. Perhaps when people are doubled jabbed then this pandemic will be over if that doesn’t solve it then who knows what will? I hope to come back to this topic by July and things have improved and the pandemic is coming to an end well that’s my hope.

That 15m represented those most likely to experience severe illness. They always said the >50s groups represented 99% of hospitalisations. This why, in light of the Indian variant, they have sped up the 2nd jab for the 2nd stages patients.

So it was closer to 31.8m all along.

Yes, beware of doom-mongerers. Does it matter if thousands have a mild flu? The problem is the unvaccinated it can still hit hard but the vast majority of the public have followed advice. If the anti vaxxers get ill as long as it doesn't impact services for the rest of us, increase future mutations or infect others...It's their choice not to wear the seat belt...

NoraB
29-05-21, 06:55
For the love of all that is holy, please try to use some context!!

Two exclamation marks? Ok, time out Gary. Think of ya blood pressure! :ohmy:

pulisa
29-05-21, 08:11
Lots of social distancing going on in Porto between the Chelsea and Citeh fans!:winks:...They've all been tested for covid(apparently) and shelled out mega bucks for the match tickets/travel/covid tests etc so I'm sure a good time will be had by all regardless.

Pamplemousse
29-05-21, 08:44
There was supposed to be an event for collectors in July but the new custodians of the hall it was due to be held in have vetoed it. I can see a lot of small/private events going this way this year; the owners of village halls and the like won't want the public liability of someone contracting Covid and getting ill/dying.

spectrum123
29-05-21, 09:59

After what will be 2 years for a lot of countries, don't forget quite a bit of Europe for instance is still battling this virus, we are for once ahead of the curve thanks probably to an effective and speedy vaccine roll out, though that may change if a mutation overcomes it partially. After most countries have spent Billions in furlough and vaccine payments.

How do you think other countries will view foreign nationals visiting them who have refused the vaccine in their native country through choice? I think they make an exception for the very small percentage who can't have the jab for medical reasons. What about hotels and airlines, do you think they will want to be blamed for hosting possible carriers of mutations. I'm pretty sure travel insurance companies are certainly not going to want to carry the cost if one of their customers is blamed for starting an outbreak. As we move to a greater percentage of vaccinated of what could be over 95% hopefully, it's going to be very easy to point the finger at an unvaccinated person in an outbreak cluster.

Your choice could have serious consequences in your freedom to travel outside this country. At the moment travel is relying on testing and vaccination/previous infection. Don't forget the majority of Europe and the rest of the world operate a personal ID card system they maybe more open to adding covid status to this than we are without the ID card system in place. Although we Brits seem to generally ignore it, a lot of Europe actually require you to a carry your passport at all times, this may be more rigorously enforced, and they may require covid status along or included with the passport.

We are moving into different times, the world will not be the same post covid, we will not return to how we were before I'm fairly certain of that. Countries will be doing all they can to avoid the expense of another outbreak whether it be a mutation of the existing or guarding against new forms of virus. Things like swine flu, bird flu, and other respiratory outbreaks however small will be taken very seriously, and I think we can expect certainly for the next few years 'booster' vaccines for this becoming regular and common place.

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-21, 10:23
After what will be 2 years for a lot of countries, don't forget quite a bit of Europe for instance is still battling this virus, we are for once ahead of the curve thanks probably to an effective and speedy vaccine roll out, though that may change if a mutation overcomes it partially. After most countries have spent Billions in furlough and vaccine payments.

How do you think other countries will view foreign nationals visiting them who have refused the vaccine in their native country through choice? I think they make an exception for the very small percentage who can't have the jab for medical reasons. What about hotels and airlines, do you think they will want to be blamed for hosting possible carriers of mutations. I'm pretty sure travel insurance companies are certainly not going to want to carry the cost if one of their customers is blamed for starting an outbreak. As we move to a greater percentage of vaccinated of what could be over 95% hopefully, it's going to be very easy to point the finger at an unvaccinated person in an outbreak cluster.

Your choice could have serious consequences in your freedom to travel outside this country. At the moment travel is relying on testing and vaccination/previous infection. Don't forget the majority of Europe and the rest of the world operate a personal ID card system they maybe more open to adding covid status to this than we are without the ID card system in place. Although we Brits seem to generally ignore it, a lot of Europe actually require you to a carry your passport at all times, this may be more rigorously enforced, and they may require covid status along or included with the passport.

We are moving into different times, the world will not be the same post covid, we will not return to how we were before I'm fairly certain of that. Countries will be doing all they can to avoid the expense of another outbreak whether it be a mutation of the existing or guarding against new forms of virus. Things like swine flu, bird flu, and other respiratory outbreaks however small will be taken very seriously, and I think we can expect certainly for the next few years 'booster' vaccines for this becoming regular and common place.

Might give some business to a few lawyers in EU countries with a possible challenge over the sacrosanct pillars of the Single Market once it becomes a long term thing. Clause easily added, if needed.

It's very likely to be as you say. Airlines will have 1 person arguing they should have the right to fly whilst the rest of the passengers argue they don't agree that 1 person outranks their health.

Health reasons and possibly religion? Everyone else is easy to say no too. Recent negative tests before travelling might be enough for the small groups as long as they provide paperwork.

Perhaps one cheeky airline might even resurrect the Dom Jolly "Don't trust this man" poster with the arrow pointing to a picture of Piers Corbyn :biggrin:

phil06
29-05-21, 10:48

I’m sorry but I strongly disagree. We are not moving to different times we will recover from this virus like all others in the past. Spain will allow all Brits in without a vaccine or test now. Just like 2019. The EU pass is only valid until July 2022 aswell. It’s amazing how many people want to accept this “new normal” these may be measures for the current times but once the virus is defeated it will be confined to history. It may exist but Chris Whitty says we will treat it like the flu. Better isolation payments will see people isolate. So don’t be so pessimistic.

phil06
29-05-21, 10:49
Might give some business to a few lawyers in EU countries with a possible challenge over the sacrosanct pillars of the Single Market once it becomes a long term thing. Clause easily added, if needed.

It's very likely to be as you say. Airlines will have 1 person arguing they should have the right to fly whilst the rest of the passengers argue they don't agree that 1 person outranks their health.

Health reasons and possibly religion? Everyone else is easy to say no too. Recent negative tests before travelling might be enough for the small groups as long as they provide paperwork.

Perhaps one cheeky airline might even resurrect the Dom Jolly "Don't trust this man" poster with the arrow pointing to a picture of Piers Corbyn :biggrin:

Yep seen a few yellow fever compressions but I don’t think we are heading down that path. Reason is you can still test positive for COVID even with two jabs just seen a GP on Twitter have this issue.

phil06
29-05-21, 10:50
And i believe even Gove has almost all but ruled out COVID certificates for domestic use given Israel has just ditched them :)

Pamplemousse
29-05-21, 11:30
Meanwhile France has barred UK citizens from entering the country for non-essential purposes and they are still pressing ahead with the pass sanitaire.

The world has changed irrevocably and we're not going back to how things were: I'm interested in how Aus/NZ will open up to foreign tourism, if ever: life is "normal" there but I'm hearing there's a great deal of reluctance for people to get vaccinated as a result because they don't see a need. So will they ever let the tourists back in, or will it become a closed society?

pulisa
29-05-21, 13:54
I’m sorry but I strongly disagree. We are not moving to different times we will recover from this virus like all others in the past. Spain will allow all Brits in without a vaccine or test now. Just like 2019. The EU pass is only valid until July 2022 aswell. It’s amazing how many people want to accept this “new normal” these may be measures for the current times but once the virus is defeated it will be confined to history. It may exist but Chris Whitty says we will treat it like the flu. Better isolation payments will see people isolate. So don’t be so pessimistic.

Why are you so anxious about Covid then?

Fishmanpa
29-05-21, 14:36
So don’t be so pessimistic.

Nahhhh... you really didn't post that :huh:

FMP

phil06
29-05-21, 16:32
Cases down today which is good news well lower than yesterday

Lencoboy
29-05-21, 17:02
Cases down today which is good news well lower than yesterday

I was just about to mention that Phil, but you already beat me to it!

3,398 cases, 7 deaths.

First jab: 74.2 per cent.
Second jab: 47.3 per cent.

Well the BBC didn't seem to make a song and dance over cases exceeding 4k yesterday, but as Gary has already suggested, perhaps most people consider daily cases less relevant now than before.

Pamplemousse
29-05-21, 17:52
Reuters has reported a new variant that has been seen in Vietnam which appears to be a hybrid of the Indian and Kent strains, and spreads very quickly in the air.

pulisa
29-05-21, 17:55
Another day, another variant..

Fishmanpa
29-05-21, 18:25
Another day, another variant..

All the more reason to get vaxxed. As we move forward and the virus mutates, some protection is better than none. No different than the flu vaccine and improvements made as we move forward.

FMP

Carys
29-05-21, 19:05
....and the more people VACCINATED, the less chance of mutations developing.

Phill2
29-05-21, 19:32
Down here in Oz they're talking about making a no jab - no job rule which is fair enough.
Why should those that have been vaxed be put at risk by those refusing to have it.
There will be exceptions made for those that can't have it for medical reasons.

Lencoboy
29-05-21, 20:10
Down here in Oz they're talking about making a no jab - no job rule which is fair enough.
Why should those that have been vaxed be put at risk by those refusing to have it.

Trouble is, some people just seem to think they're untouchable (and 'ard).

Aside from the scares concerning certain complications from some of the vaccines (which I can understand to a certain degree, though the media did hype them up as per usual), there are sadly many others (still unjabbed) who simply can't be @rsed to get their jabs!

And they're the ones who will be in denial and saying 'it's not my fault' once they test positive for Covid!

Lencoboy
29-05-21, 20:16
Reuters has reported a new variant that has been seen in Vietnam which appears to be a hybrid of the Indian and Kent strains, and spreads very quickly in the air.

Well perhaps the govt should be adding Vietnam to our red list ASAP then without dawdling this time round!

Pamplemousse
29-05-21, 23:11

Thing is, in most civilised countries there would be an outcry over civil liberties on that matter.

Phill2
30-05-21, 05:07
They are but apparently a pandemic changes the rules.

NoraB
30-05-21, 05:50
So don’t be so pessimistic.

Who is this, and what have you done with Phil? :unsure:

MyNameIsTerry
30-05-21, 06:01
They are but apparently a pandemic changes the rules.

https://i.redd.it/1t6gggsb11tx.jpg

:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
30-05-21, 06:02
Who is this, and what have you done with Phil? :unsure:

It's good to see. Let's not be sucked into third wave doom.

NoraB
30-05-21, 07:10
It's good to see.

I'm awake then? :ohmy:

NoraB
30-05-21, 07:22
Let's not be sucked into third wave doom.

By some witchcraft, I haven't been dragged into doom of the first, second or third wave. That's so not like me? I'm usually a glass smashed all over the floor and sticking in my feet type! :huh:

pulisa
30-05-21, 07:52
Prepare for a Westminster variant following the Borrie nuptials..:)

A honeymoon at a red list destination will successfully delay a decision re June 21st..

NoraB
30-05-21, 08:06

A 'surprise' wedding in the same week as the shit hits the Johnson fan? :yesyes: (nice try Boz)

Lencoboy
30-05-21, 08:41
A 'surprise' wedding in the same week as the shit hits the Johnson fan? :yesyes: (nice try Boz)

Yeah but the Foot-and-Mouth crisis, the second Iraq war, the Global Financial Crisis, the MPs Expenses scandal, them pesky asylum seekers, chavvy benefit scroungers and endless increases in petrol/diesel prices did far more damage to this country under the watch of those two evil men Bliar and Brown though didn't they?

So Viva Espana!!

(I'm just being sarky BTW!)

Lencoboy
30-05-21, 16:36
A word of caution about the ZOE case stats.

Whilst they are currently in the 4k range, there is a time lag of at least 4 days, so their cases today are most likely based on cases from Wednesday 26th May at the latest.

The dashboard site still hasn't been updated for today's stats due to data issues concerning Wales' jab stats (I think).

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-21, 06:05

A honeymoon at a red list destination will successfully delay a decision re June 21st..

Imagine the stag? :ohmy: He's already got a floor to ceiling pole :winks:

Very inconsiderate really. Didn't give Pamplemousse time to get a pressie. I've got some lovely foxgloves in the garden he could have created an arrangement with :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-21, 06:07
I'm awake then? :ohmy:

http://badbooksgoodtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/airplane-pinch-me-gif.gif

:roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-21, 06:09
By some witchcraft, I haven't been dragged into doom of the first, second or third wave. That's so not like me? I'm usually a glass smashed all over the floor and sticking in my feet type! :huh:

I don't think it had much of an effect on me either. Years off it with anxiety kinda made it look like a cakewalk :winks:

bluebottle
31-05-21, 06:11
If anyone would like to know the real science then you are welcome to contact me. We have all been lied to, and continue to be lied to. I have the science to show the reality. This is irrefutable evidence and I can provide supporting data to show that.

NoraB
31-05-21, 07:54
He's already got a floor to ceiling pole :winks:

Ta Terry, now I have an undesirable image of Boz sliding up and down a pole wearing nothing but a Union Jack G string and chip oil. :ohmy:

Lencoboy
31-05-21, 10:28
If anyone would like to know the real science then you are welcome to contact me. We have all been lied to, and continue to be lied to. I have the science to show the reality. This is irrefutable evidence and I can provide supporting data to show that.

You have the science? Are you serious?

Do you have any links to any official (and reputable) scientific sources that prove this pandemic has all been fabricated and we've all been lied to all along?

Or are you the one of many who has literally been brainwashed by a load of brain-dead conspiracy theorists, dodgy websites, etc?

Like others on here have already said, you're by all means entitled to your own personal views and opinions, but to come onto here playing the 'know-it-all' and blatantly expressing them as the gospel truth is just totally beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

Covid wasn't 'made up' in order to 'control' us or depopulate the world, vaccines 'do' work against the virus, and are NOT 'impregnated' with microchips that facilitate 'tracking' by the authorities nor magnetise us!

BB, I strongly urge you check the full facts thoroughly from official, reputable sources, rather than posting your fabled fantasies.

Carys
31-05-21, 10:31

No thanks. However, if you have such facts with supporting data then maybe you'd best go to the media with it and blow the whistle ? :winks:

Lencoboy
31-05-21, 10:42
Imagine the stag? :ohmy: He's already got a floor to ceiling pole :winks:

Very inconsiderate really. Didn't give Pamplemousse time to get a pressie. I've got some lovely foxgloves in the garden he could have created an arrangement with :whistles:

Well who really cares about Bozzer and Carrie tying the knot right now?

I personally find stories about celebs' nuptials an epic borefest even at the best of times.

In fact I personally find attending all weddings myself in person (both the ceremony and the wake/reception meal/party) a bore, period.

Soz in advance for possibly causing offence to others though.

Pamplemousse
31-05-21, 11:09
Ta Terry, now I have an undesirable image of Boz sliding up and down a pole wearing nothing but a Union Jack G string and chip oil. :ohmy:

Cheers, Nora... Still, at least the bog's close by at work.

Pamplemousse
31-05-21, 11:13
Like others on here have already said, you're by all means entitled to your own personal views and opinions, but to come onto here playing the 'know-it-all' and blatantly expressing them as the gospel truth is just totally beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

This is something I'm fascinated by - how the "truthers" are somehow all in on a secret none of the rest of us are and are the special, chosen ones.

Up there with Flat Earth, fake moon landings and 9/11.

Lencoboy
31-05-21, 11:38
This is something I'm fascinated by - how the "truthers" are somehow all in on a secret none of the rest of us are and are the special, chosen ones.

Up there with Flat Earth, fake moon landings and 9/11.

Yes, and BB still hasn't posted his/her links to the sites that allegedly reveal that this whole pandemic has been a 'hoax'!

Most likely reason being, they're total BS and a 'hoax' in themselves!