PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19 discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

pulisa
12-12-21, 21:38
Very true. I'll try tomorrow evening!

Good plan..You'll feel better once you've got it done and no point in waiting for the official invite. I've had about 5 texts from the NHS telling me to get my booster. I had it done on 23rd October (walk in centre) and the texts only started about 3 weeks later.

Pamplemousse
12-12-21, 22:23
If we are now in an emergency situation why no further restrictions? No face masks needed in pubs despite this emergency. Carry on with Christmas parties despite this emergency.

He knows if he tries it he'll lose both the forthcoming votes in the Commons *and* the co-operation of the electorate - and more importantly to Johnson and Carrie Antoinette, he'll likely run into a vote of no confidence in him. At least 15% of sitting Conservative MPs must write a letter to the head of the 1922 Committee to trigger this, which amounts to 54 MPs. That could easily happen now but Johnson should be able to secure the 50%+1 Conservative MPs to keep him in a job.

I am convinced his days are numbered; but looking at the bunch of sycophants, lightweights and let's be brutally honest, downright thick and venal MPs around him I'm thinking that he really is the least worst option!

pulisa
13-12-21, 08:08
People will take matters into their own hands without Boris having to impose legal restrictions. Pointless trying to "encourage" vaccine uptake from those who have refused so far.

Just hope it's easy to get a booster if you want to have one and that the supplies of vaccine are in the right place at the right time.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 10:13
People will take matters into their own hands without Boris having to impose legal restrictions. Pointless trying to "encourage" vaccine uptake from those who have refused so far.

Just hope it's easy to get a booster if you want to have one and that the supplies of vaccine are in the right place at the right time.

Dead right, many will still continue to refuse point blank to get jabbed, wear masks and stick to the rules even if (dare I say it) they're threatened with a full-on war!

In case I have triggered anyone, I know there isn't actually going to be a 'war' in order to get people to comply with jabs, masks and general Covid rules, just said partly in jest.

As far as Boris's current issues are concerned, someone commented on another forum yesterday that he always seems to bounce back again after periods of disarray, and he'll probably end up bribing himself out of this current situation yet again, and especially if the media start finding further 'scandals' concerning Starmer and Co (past or present).

Right now I just wish it was 1997 all over again, not necessarily because of Blair and Co's victory in the election that year (which of course still remains a subject of thorny debate and controversy amongst many), but it was just generally a far more innocent and carefree time, still before the Internet entered the mainstream, social media was still only just under a decade away, the news was still only on the TV at set times throughout the day rather than 24/7 rolling news channels that have since evolved and we were still seemingly a much less fearful and paranoid society, unlike today where a lot of people seem to have the ab-dabs over nearly everything, sometimes without due reason.

BlueIris
13-12-21, 10:32
The world moves on, though, and on the whole I think it's a good thing as long as we're ready to move with it. In 1997 I was suicidally depressed and self-harming, trying to come to terms with my abusive past and (at the time) present.

I think it's natural for things to seem alien and confusing as we get older, but it's important to keep an open mind and an open heart.

Pamplemousse
13-12-21, 10:50
I think it's natural for things to seem alien and confusing as we get older, but it's important to keep an open mind and an open heart.

The thing I find disheartening is the realisation - that has got much stronger this last year or two - that I am much closer to the end of my life than the beginning. Hearing from friends whom I remember starting work with me to learn they now have eighteen year old sons: some are even grandparents.

Closely followed by "And what have I achieved? Not a lot."

I do find the world around me very confusing at times; I struggle to keep up with the technology in use at work, I struggle with how modern cars work, the list goes on. But most of all I struggle with how society has developed in the last forty years and whilst some of the changes are welcome, others are not.

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 10:52
It sounds like you are doing better now, BI, and I hope so.

Chaos at the walk in near here apparently, people are saying they've stopped doing them and there have been 2-3 hour long queues. I'm going to try on Wednesday when I'm back in London I think. As you predicted Pulisa, booking system not working at all, and no lateral flows available either! Luckily I have 2 packets of those horrible old ones.

My friends have all said they will do an LFT on Thursday so that's good. I am very anxious about going for dinner but these are some friends who I haven't seen for 2 years and it is getting to the point where not seeing my friends is really affecting me mentally....

BlueIris
13-12-21, 11:02
The thing I find disheartening is the realisation - that has got much stronger this last year or two - that I am much closer to the end of my life than the beginning. Hearing from friends whom I remember starting work with me to learn they now have eighteen year old sons: some are even grandparents.

Closely followed by "And what have I achieved? Not a lot."

I do find the world around me very confusing at times; I struggle to keep up with the technology in use at work, I struggle with how modern cars work, the list goes on. But most of all I struggle with how society has developed in the last forty years and whilst some of the changes are welcome, others are not.

Believe me, I get you. I have friends and colleagues with kids in their twenties. That's the path they've chosen, though; I never wanted to inflict my own neuroses on the next generation and I don't have any regrets. I think the key is to work out what you love and make sure you do it. I do also think there's a tendency, when we're unhappy, to view the past with rose-tinted glasses.

BlueIris
13-12-21, 11:03
It sounds like you are doing better now, BI, and I hope so.

Chaos at the walk in near here apparently, people are saying they've stopped doing them and there have been 2-3 hour long queues. I'm going to try on Wednesday when I'm back in London I think. As you predicted Pulisa, booking system not working at all, and no lateral flows available either! Luckily I have 2 packets of those horrible old ones.

My friends have all said they will do an LFT on Thursday so that's good. I am very anxious about going for dinner but these are some friends who I haven't seen for 2 years and it is getting to the point where not seeing my friends is really affecting me mentally....

Thank you! I had no idea things had got so bad - I'm glad I got my booster out of the way.

Pamplemousse
13-12-21, 11:12

I heard on the radio at ten o'clock that the system is already falling over - what did they expect? Johnson really is a fool.

You've reminded me that I need to get some more LF tests from the chemist (I only have six tests left) - maybe these will be the nostril-only ones this time although I find that the nostril swab makes me sneeze. As the chemist is next to where I get my Christmas cards from (I need a few more) that'll be a good opportunity.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 11:57
While I hate being the bearer of bad news, the first death of a person WITH Omicron has now officially been confirmed in the UK.

Though still best not to start jumping to conclusions and having the ab-dabs too soon, as they haven't yet elaborated on the full story, and for all we know so far, it might not be specifically because OF Omicron, it might still be simply WITH Omicron, but actually of another illness at the same time.

Still, cue the inevitable hysterical headlines on the front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail!

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 12:12
While I hate being the bearer of bad news, the first death of a person WITH Omicron has now officially been confirmed in the UK.

Though still best not to start jumping to conclusions and having the ab-dabs too soon, as they haven't yet elaborated on the full story, and for all we know so far, it might not be specifically because OF Omicron, it might still be simply WITH Omicron, but actually of another illness at the same time.

Still, cue the inevitable hysterical headlines on the front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail!

BUT....on a more positive and encouraging note (now we've got the bad news out the way), there have been scenes on the BBC News channel this morning showing long queues for booster jabs and there have even been reports of NHS site outages due to the unprecedented scale of online bookings for the same jab.

Also there's now reportedly a shortage of LFT kits, again due to unprecedented demand!

All extremely remarkable (and indeed ironic) considering not so long ago vaccines were considered 'public enemy number one' by certain factions, and now all of a sudden people can't get enough of them!

But mine and my parents' boosters were pretty timely, and thank god!

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 12:15
I'm layering up and walking down to a pharmacy who said "we are theoretically doing boosters but can't guarantee anything" - wish me luck!

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 12:17

Just saw this. But as you say, we need to know more about the person. My gran is currently very very unwell and I'm in no doubt that she could die of omicron. But she is incredibly frail and at the moment even a cold could be lethal. My boyfriend has a cold currently so, despite the fact I don't seem to have caught it, I took the heartbreaking decision to cancel my visit to see her today just in case. It's not worth it.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 12:21
Just saw this. But as you say, we need to know more about the person. My gran is currently very very unwell and I'm in no doubt that she could die of omicron. But she is incredibly frail and at the moment even a cold could be lethal. My boyfriend has a cold currently so, despite the fact I don't seem to have caught it, I took the heartbreaking decision to cancel my visit to see her today just in case. It's not worth it.

Probably the wisest thing.

But of course a lot of the news over the past 24 hours has obviously put the frighteners on many to suddenly take note and get jabbed ASAP, even before the milestone announcement of the first death of a person with Omicron.

pulisa
13-12-21, 13:46
I'm layering up and walking down to a pharmacy who said "we are theoretically doing boosters but can't guarantee anything" - wish me luck!

I really hope you are lucky and can be jabbed today. It's a lottery, isn't it? Unfair to expect vaccine centres to be prepared for an onslaught when they weren't informed in time of the new directives.

I'm so sorry that you can't see your grandmother but you've done the right thing. It's just not worth the risk even though it's so disappointing for you both.

Scass
13-12-21, 13:59

I don’t know why it has to be such big news. I assume to get people to book boosters on a broken system?
Countless other people have died from the other variants too. It’s all sh1t. That should be the headline!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 14:16
I really hope you are lucky and can be jabbed today. It's a lottery, isn't it? Unfair to expect vaccine centres to be prepared for an onslaught when they weren't informed in time of the new directives.

I'm so sorry that you can't see your grandmother but you've done the right thing. It's just not worth the risk even though it's so disappointing for you both.

Didn't win the jackpot lottery today! The pharmacist was really nice and said he wished he could have given me a booster there and then but he still can't for under 40s and advised me to try again on Wednesday. He said they actually have plenty of doses in stock but legally can't give them to anyone under 40! Frustrating for both of us!

Thankyou, it was definitely the right decision, the last thing I would want to do is pass something to her to make her even poorlier. She has dementia and its worsened due to this recent illness so I am quite sad to think about how she must be very confused with everything going on :( but my uncle and aunt can carry on seeing her and they are allowed to bring their dog who helps a lot. The care home staff are excellent too.

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 14:18
I don’t know why it has to be such big news. I assume to get people to book boosters on a broken system?
Countless other people have died from the other variants too. It’s all sh1t. That should be the headline!

I thought this too. It was going to happen eventually, while I am very very pro vaccine/ boosters/ being safe (and just did a 90 minute round trip walk to try and get my booster!) it seems a bit convenient timing that this is announced after his speech last night. I just wish the newspapers would think of people with anxiety before they post. I know that'll never happen, but wouldn't it be nice!

pulisa
13-12-21, 14:18
I don't really understand why, if 2 jabs are ineffective , a third should make all the difference? And for how long?

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-21, 14:19
If you are using the walk in system it gets you straight through on the NHS site. Underneath each site it explains which groups they are jabbing.

As for trying to book in at the rest. Carnage as pulisa says. I tried yesterday and was in a queue. It quoted me a 5 min wait but really it was no more than one.

I just tried again and it's so bad they don't even show you the countdown timer. That will likely mean longer waits if they are starting to hide visibility of service levels. And be careful with it as it says if you aren't swift in completing your booking you may get bumped back into the queue.

I tried the walk in search. No walk in centres available in this city. It's quoting me other cities needing train commutes.

I give up...

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-21, 14:21

Me neither. Without context they could have come in from an accident or other serious illness which Covid added nothing to.

It's Daily Mail territory...

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-21, 14:26
BUT....on a more positive and encouraging note (now we've got the bad news out the way), there have been scenes on the BBC News channel this morning showing long queues for booster jabs and there have even been reports of NHS site outages due to the unprecedented scale of online bookings for the same jab.

Also there's now reportedly a shortage of LFT kits, again due to unprecedented demand!

All extremely remarkable (and indeed ironic) considering not so long ago vaccines were considered 'public enemy number one' by certain factions, and now all of a sudden people can't get enough of them!

But mine and my parents' boosters were pretty timely, and thank god!

Unfortunately not exactly good news, Lenco. I can't get anywhere booking. My brother is in another county, over 50 and has been trying earlier than me. His GF got in by chance and had to travel.

The more they reduce the minimum age, without increasing services, the more they are causing a bottle neck. Great for those who can go and queue up. My city, on the NHS search, is currently showing no walk in centres. We have two and they've obviously pulled them to stop the queues.

It's good people are doing it but it's the same responsible people who had the previous two doses.

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 14:35
Unfortunately not exactly good news, Lenco. I can't get anywhere booking. My brother is in another county, over 50 and has been trying earlier than me. His GF got in by chance and had to travel.

The more they reduce the minimum age, without increasing services, the more they are causing a bottle neck. Great for those who can go and queue up. My city, on the NHS search, is currently showing no walk in centres. We have two and they've obviously pulled them to stop the queues.

It's good people are doing it but it's the same responsible people who had the previous two doses.

Try calling the walk in centre if you can. The one I just went to wasn't on the NHS website and they would've vaccinated me if I was over 40. I rang another near my mums and they said they were open just expect to queue as a walk in

BlueIris
13-12-21, 14:37
I'm starting to realise how lucky I was. I booked for mine, got it done and got my flu jab, too, despite being (and admitting to being) a few years shy of 50.

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 14:38
I don't really understand why, if 2 jabs are ineffective , a third should make all the difference? And for how long?

My virology friend said they're still working out the sweet spot of how many vaxxes we need and it might be that it's a 3 course jab for people in the future, or might be one given annually like a flu jab. But that it's not unusual at all to need 3 jabs initially of a vax, especially when its everywhere. When I had the rabies course it was 3 jabs + 2 more when I was bitten by a dog!

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-21, 14:38
He knows if he tries it he'll lose both the forthcoming votes in the Commons *and* the co-operation of the electorate - and more importantly to Johnson and Carrie Antoinette, he'll likely run into a vote of no confidence in him. At least 15% of sitting Conservative MPs must write a letter to the head of the 1922 Committee to trigger this, which amounts to 54 MPs. That could easily happen now but Johnson should be able to secure the 50%+1 Conservative MPs to keep him in a job.

I am convinced his days are numbered; but looking at the bunch of sycophants, lightweights and let's be brutally honest, downright thick and venal MPs around him I'm thinking that he really is the least worst option!

Ant & Dec got in there earlier...

https://youtu.be/FsOtTVem6jQ

:roflmao:

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 14:39
I'm starting to realise how lucky I was. I booked for mine, got it done and got my flu jab, too, despite being (and admitting to being) a few years shy of 50.

It's good you've got yours! I feel a bit bad if I get one and others can't, as I'm under 30 and have already had covid. But equally I worry about giving omicron to people and feel like if I do manage to get one I should take it?

BlueIris
13-12-21, 14:46
If the opportunity's there I think you should take it, for your own sake and that of others.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-21, 14:46
Try calling the walk in centre if you can. The one I just went to wasn't on the NHS website and they would've vaccinated me if I was over 40. I rang another near my mums and they said they were open just expect to queue as a walk in

It's 30 now isn't it? NHS Direct is telling <30s they will be able to book from Wednesday.

I'll keep trying first I think but thanks for the suggestion. The one I've been to is a scout hut being used by a pharmacy and we can't tie them up otherwise people may struggle calling them for pharmacy issues. There were some others showing 2 days ago but it's several bus routes to the other side of the city and to be honest that's just exposure I'd rather avoid (my mum is on the extremely clinically vulnerable list and I'm a carer).

One way might be trying our GP surgery. They take 20 mins to get through to but they use a centre only for patients in the group of surgeries bubble.

It was like this trying to get my 1st around here. It took 3 weeks trying several times a day. Other areas were into age groups 10 years younger before I got a slot. The lack of parity between regions is causing some to bottle neck.

MyNameIsTerry
13-12-21, 14:49
It's good you've got yours! I feel a bit bad if I get one and others can't, as I'm under 30 and have already had covid. But equally I worry about giving omicron to people and feel like if I do manage to get one I should take it?

Blue is right. Besides they aren't denying people in higher groups. They had the option to come before you.

I understand what you mean though. If someone was there who needed it more you would step aside for them. But if you do that now how do you know your place won't simply be taken by someone even less in need than you?

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 15:05
Blue is right. Besides they aren't denying people in higher groups. They had the option to come before you.

I understand what you mean though. If someone was there who needed it more you would step aside for them. But if you do that now how do you know your place won't simply be taken by someone even less in need than you?

Very true @Blue as well! It's one of those catch 22s, I mean I would prefer someone in another country get their first or 2nd dose rather than me get my 3rd, but me not getting it won't get it to anyone else!

The pharmacy I went to said no under 40s today. I'm in Devon which might be why - we never get enough resources down here. Going to my mums in London tomorrow so I will try in London on Wednesday.

Gary A
13-12-21, 15:19

2 doses aren’t completely ineffective, but every study so far shows that immunity wanes with two doses and this in turn allows a more invasive variant to breakthrough far easier. A booster dose simply tops up your immune system, it sort of evens the score between a new more invasive variant and your immunity to it.

How long is indeed the question, but 3 doses of any vaccine should be good for at least a year. If it isn’t then they may need to consider the idea that the vaccines are fairly ineffective and get to designing one that is better equipped at battling newer variants.

Pamplemousse
13-12-21, 15:33
So far there does appear to have been a reluctance by the manufacturers to "tweak" the vaccines - will Omicron be the one, or what comes after it?

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 16:12
So far there does appear to have been a reluctance by the manufacturers to "tweak" the vaccines - will Omicron be the one, or what comes after it?

I read that this is the case because at the moment the vaccines are for the "root" variant. All variants will have something in common with this one. But if they make an omicron specific variant, another variant "on the other side of the family treee" could evolve and the omicron variant might not work against it.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 16:15
2 doses aren’t completely ineffective, but every study so far shows that immunity wanes with two doses and this in turn allows a more invasive variant to breakthrough far easier. A booster dose simply tops up your immune system, it sort of evens the score between a new more invasive variant and your immunity to it.

How long is indeed the question, but 3 doses of any vaccine should be good for at least a year. If it isn’t then they may need to consider the idea that the vaccines are fairly ineffective and get to designing one that is better equipped at battling newer variants.

Surely there already fears of waning immunity from the first 2 jabs before Omicron came along, hence the third booster jabs first being introduced back in September.

Like others have already said upthread, why aren't people any longer kicking up such a fuss over Delta, of which people are still catching and actually dying of on a daily basis?

Also Dr JC pointed out in his latest video earlier today that as far as the UK's Omicron hospitalisations so far are concerned, they don't really tell us about the vaccination status of the patients, their ages, or whether or not they've got other illnesses at the same time.

But I guess on the other hand, shock value is the only language many of the
'plebs' of our society actually understand, hence why many have suddenly started going to get jabbed en masse, unlike previously where a lot of them seemed indifferent to it all.

My dad also said that every single customer in our local Co-op store was masked up today when he popped in, unlike even as recently as Saturday when he said about a third of the customers were still not wearing masks in-store.

Pamplemousse
13-12-21, 16:22
I read that this is the case because at the moment the vaccines are for the "root" variant. All variants will have something in common with this one. But if they make an omicron specific variant, another variant "on the other side of the family treee" could evolve and the omicron variant might not work against it.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Gary A
13-12-21, 16:31

Current vaccines target the spike protein that helps the virus latch on to our cells. The problem with omicron is that it has so many mutations within this protein that it most likely will reduce the vaccines ability to prevent cell infiltration.

The reason that most of the vaccines should still be effective to a degree is because they trigger other parts of the immune system, such as memory B and killer T cells. At this point, unfortunately, there just isn’t the data to say how effective they are against omicron.

Future vaccines could focus more on invoking an immune response within B and T cells rather than focusing mainly on producing neutralising antibodies. Data on current vaccines are showing that neutralising antibodies wane while B and T cell responses are far more robust. That’s why infection levels are still through the roof but deaths and hospitalisations simply haven’t risen in the way they did before vaccination.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 16:50
But deaths and hospitalisations simply haven’t risen in the way they did before vaccination.

Definitely not so far, thank god, but at least at this stage I don't think it's a good idea to read too much into just this one death of a person with Omicron, especially as the BBC said that are no further details so far concerning the full circumstances of said person's death. After all, people are still dying of Delta and various other (non-Covid) causes everyday right now.

Nevertheless, I'm still extremely astonished that many people have suddenly gone from being rather blasé about all things Covid in general just prior to this weekend just gone to now actually pulling their heads out of the sand and taking the situation far more seriously once again, even if it (sadly) took shock value to literally scare them witless into doing so!

I also can't fathom why the UK almost always seems to end up bearing the brunt of new Covid variants?

The media barely seem to be discussing how the Omicron situation is affecting other countries right now, it just seems to be relentless Britain-bashing and how rubbish we are at managing this situation, which I think is greatly unfair given we, just like the rest of the world outside of SA weren't even informed about Omicron by the WHO until the 24th of November.

It's as if a lot of our own media seem to hate this country with a passion, regardless of who's in power!

elizabethalice
13-12-21, 19:12
Just read that the person who died was diagnosed with covid and omicron in hospital. Not belittling the death at all - its heartbreaking for the family. But it does sound like they were already in hospital, quite possibly for other reasons. Just important to have some perspective.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 19:48
Just read that the person who died was diagnosed with covid and omicron in hospital. Not belittling the death at all - its heartbreaking for the family. But it does sound like they were already in hospital, quite possibly for other reasons. Just important to have some perspective.

Just out of interest, where did you read that?

By the same token, Dr JC has just said in his current video this evening that the first and only reported death with Omicron so far in the UK doesn't really tell us anything at this stage, but nevertheless, he is commending our politicians right now for 'erring on the side of caution' (his exact words), and that is in spite of Boris and many of his fellow cronies otherwise being in hot water over various issues right now.

Even though Dr JC didn't mention anything about the Boris and Co's general shortcomings of late, he, for better or worse, cast aside those issues. Also he appeared quite gobsmacked that the most of the British public suddenly seem to be taking the situation seriously once again, not least by queuing en masse to get jabbed.

pulisa
13-12-21, 19:59

Thanks for explaining, Gary. How difficult it must be to predict what will be needed re future vaccines when the situation could change at any moment rendering previous successful vaccines redundant. How can you possibly plan for every eventuality when you don't know what that eventuality may comprise?

fishman65
13-12-21, 21:16
You know, you try to help someone but there comes a time when you have to recognise you're bashing your head against a wall. My 22 year old daughter is fed up with covid and says she won't get a booster because of BJ and his lies. While I sympathise and agree about this wholly imbecilic PM we have, I've urged her to get her booster at the earliest opportunity. Hopefully she will comply but I'm not holding my breath.

So talking to Mrs F this evening, I've suggested to her to up her dose of Vit D to 8000IU a day in the wake of Dr C's recent chat with a GP from Israel. I've recommended she use some of my Vit K2 with it while I order some more from Amazon. I then told her that 8000 isn't too high a dose considering she is carrying weight and a lot of that Vit D ends up being stored in subcutaneous fat, rather than as an active agent. But she accused me of calling her fat. I could have worded it differently but thought the fact I was trying to help her would have been enough.

Lencoboy
13-12-21, 21:20
The world moves on, though, and on the whole I think it's a good thing as long as we're ready to move with it. In 1997 I was suicidally depressed and self-harming, trying to come to terms with my abusive past and (at the time) present.

I'm really sorry to learn you had a bad time back in 1997 (and some years earlier) BI.

My bad patch in the 90s was between August 1991 and March 1994 when I had intense episodes of emetophobia accompanied by severe anxiety, which started to lessen significantly after the latter date when I was prescribed Stelazine (which is now discredited due to it causing certain long-term side effects in some individuals), and those aforementioned problems had mostly gone by 1997.

I have had various ups and downs with other issues on and off since then, but I generally feel far more confident nowadays than at any other time throughout my entire 44 years on this planet, particularly in spite of all the ups and downs of the past 15 years or so (the Global Financial Crisis and the Covid pandemic to name in particular).

Gary A
13-12-21, 22:26
Thanks for explaining, Gary. How difficult it must be to predict what will be needed re future vaccines when the situation could change at any moment rendering previous successful vaccines redundant. How can you possibly plan for every eventuality when you don't know what that eventuality may comprise?

I personally think this is where the newer mRNA vaccines are falling short. By only showing the immune system a part of the virus that triggers neutralising antibodies, they may just be allowing future variants an easier ride.

Everything I’ve read on this points toward natural infection coupled with vaccination as the best form of defence. That tells me that vaccination alone is not triggering a robust enough response in the other arms of the immune system.

Yes, thus far there has been good protection. As I said above, despite sky high infection levels, we are seeing nowhere near the levels of deaths and or hospitalisations that we were before vaccination. Those arms are working, but as immunity wanes and variants become more infectious, there’s a risk that they may start failing.

In my opinion, and of course it is just an opinion, these vaccines should focus more on producing robust immune responses that recognise and fight other parts of this virus. If the virus is capable of mutating the spike protein to a point of being unrecognisable to the immune system, let’s target a part of it that isn’t so prone to mutation.

We can only hope that current vaccines keep doing a good job, but there is, unfortunately, a real risk now that this virus can mutate to a point of rendering them very ineffective. It’s up to the scientists to find a way to reduce that risk.

pulisa
14-12-21, 08:26
It's such a mammoth challenge when the scientists don't even know what they are up against definitively and have to plan for all sorts of different scenarios re variants.

I'm sure they will find a way though.

Lencoboy
14-12-21, 08:50
I can sense a bit of deja vu harking back to March 2020 right now.

It will be most interesting what the post-mortem examination of the first person to die WITH Omicron reveals. Hopefully the prime cause of that person's death was another condition they might have had at the same time as Omicron. Plus many also believe that just 10 persons reported with Omicron in hospital doesn't really tell us much at this stage either.

But time will tell.

Plus today I have opted to avoid all news outlets like the plague (even the BBC) as rightly or wrongly, it seems to be relentless doom and gloom right now.

Lencoboy
14-12-21, 09:04
I personally think this is where the newer mRNA vaccines are falling short. By only showing the immune system a part of the virus that triggers neutralising antibodies, they may just be allowing future variants an easier ride.

Everything I’ve read on this points toward natural infection coupled with vaccination as the best form of defence. That tells me that vaccination alone is not triggering a robust enough response in the other arms of the immune system.

Yes, thus far there has been good protection. As I said above, despite sky high infection levels, we are seeing nowhere near the levels of deaths and or hospitalisations that we were before vaccination. Those arms are working, but as immunity wanes and variants become more infectious, there’s a risk that they may start failing.

In my opinion, and of course it is just an opinion, these vaccines should focus more on producing robust immune responses that recognise and fight other parts of this virus. If the virus is capable of mutating the spike protein to a point of being unrecognisable to the immune system, let’s target a part of it that isn’t so prone to mutation.

We can only hope that current vaccines keep doing a good job, but there is, unfortunately, a real risk now that this virus can mutate to a point of rendering them very ineffective. It’s up to the scientists to find a way to reduce that risk.

Yes, that's the catch 22 situation where vaccine manufacturers are currently reluctant to rush to tweaking their vaccines right now, especially if there's a risk of another Covid variant in particular at the complete opposite side of the spectrum emerging in due course, so it's still very much a case of 'playing it safe' by sticking with the existing formulations in the meantime, as they're currently believed to be the most neutral due to being designed around the original wild-type variant.

Pamplemousse
14-12-21, 11:20
Here's an interesting one, which reminds me of how injections were administered in "Star Trek" of old:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59642182

Needle-free, but also directed at a broader spectrum as Gary A has explained upthread.

elizabethalice
14-12-21, 11:36
I'm really sorry to learn you had a bad time back in 1997 (and some years earlier) BI.

My bad patch in the 90s was between August 1991 and March 1994 when I had intense episodes of emetophobia accompanied by severe anxiety, which started to lessen significantly after the latter date when I was prescribed Stelazine (which is now discredited due to it causing certain long-term side effects in some individuals), and those aforementioned problems had mostly gone by 1997.

I have had various ups and downs with other issues on and off since then, but I generally feel far more confident nowadays than at any other time throughout my entire 44 years on this planet, particularly in spite of all the ups and downs of the past 15 years or so (the Global Financial Crisis and the Covid pandemic to name in particular).

I went through an awful patch in 2018 after losing my stepdad and being in a really bad relationship (then having a horrible break up).

Although I still get anxiety and panic , it is nothing compared to back then. I always try and remind myself of this when I have mental health blips now. Things do get better.

elizabethalice
14-12-21, 11:37
Just out of interest, where did you read that?

By the same token, Dr JC has just said in his current video this evening that the first and only reported death with Omicron so far in the UK doesn't really tell us anything at this stage, but nevertheless, he is commending our politicians right now for 'erring on the side of caution' (his exact words), and that is in spite of Boris and many of his fellow cronies otherwise being in hot water over various issues right now.

Even though Dr JC didn't mention anything about the Boris and Co's general shortcomings of late, he, for better or worse, cast aside those issues. Also he appeared quite gobsmacked that the most of the British public suddenly seem to be taking the situation seriously once again, not least by queuing en masse to get jabbed.

I think it was sky - not sure how reliable that is?

elizabethalice
14-12-21, 11:39
Two of my friends who I was supposed to be meeting on Thursday have tested positive today, and we've decided to postpone the whole thing. I'm a bit relieved to be honest.

Also supposed to be going to the theatre on Saturday and I really don't want to. It's my friends 30th so I don't really feel like i can bow out, and I've paid £100 for the bloody tickets!

BlueIris
14-12-21, 11:39
Glad you're both feeling better now.

I've really been tested these past couple of weeks, but I think I'm coming out the other side now. It's ridiculous, really, got a tattoo appointment tomorrow and I wasn't sure until today that it was going ahead. The uncertainty was really doing a number on me... I now have about 2 hours before the anticipation starts doing a number on me instead ;)

elizabethalice
14-12-21, 11:41
Glad you're both feeling better now.

I've really been tested these past couple of weeks, but I think I'm coming out the other side now. It's ridiculous, really, got a tattoo appointment tomorrow and I wasn't sure until today that it was going ahead. The uncertainty was really doing a number on me... I now have about 2 hours before the anticipation starts doing a number on me instead ;)

The uncertainty is my biggest issue too. At this point I wouldn't care if we were in lockdown, I just want to know what's going to happen!

Lencoboy
14-12-21, 11:59
The uncertainty is my biggest issue too. At this point I wouldn't care if we were in lockdown, I just want to know what's going to happen!

Ditto for me EA.

I personally wouldn't give a flying fig anymore if the govt announced a snap fourth national lockdown from tomorrow this afternoon.

And people can whinge, protest and riot to their heart's content for all I care, but they would truly be wasting their time.

And before anyone pipes up with something like 'Well what about the Poll Tax Riots in 1990?'. That's completely irrelevant in the context of these 'here-and-now' pandemic problems, and is an unrelated issue of its time and doesn't even remotely compare to what's going on right now.

elizabethalice
14-12-21, 16:33
Yeah I've spent all today in an anxious pit about this weekend and it's not fun. Just wish it would be cancelled really haha.

I've managed to book my booster for thursday morning, so that's good!

Lencoboy
14-12-21, 17:53
Yeah I've spent all today in an anxious pit about this weekend and it's not fun. Just wish it would be cancelled really haha.

Congrats to you for Thursday EA.

Before anyone starts having the ab-dabs over today's high case numbers (mostly in England), let's do a bit of contextual comparison with other Covid stats today vs this time last year, all of which still compare favourably (at this stage).

Deaths:
14/12/21; 150 (and it's Tuesday today)
14/12/20; 232 (Monday)
15/12/20; 506 (Tuesday)

Hospital admissions:
10/12/21; 793 (most recent date)
14/12/20; 1,956

Covid patients in hospital:
13/12/21; 7,672 (most recent date)
14/12/20; 18,246

Daily Covid tests;
13/12/21; 1, 307, 252 (mrd)
14/12/20; 275,772

And yes I know we still don't know enough about Omicron so far and how it's likely to affect most people, but I have still done a now vs then comparison anyway.

Nevertheless, I still reckon going by the daily testing stats this time last year vs now, the daily confirmed cases back then were still only the tip of the iceberg, and even more so during the original first wave over the first half of 2020.

pulisa
14-12-21, 17:58

Well done for getting it booked!

Could you not find yourself in the position of having your boyfriend feeling ill on Friday evening and having to book a PCR? No way would you want to risk ruining Christmas for your friends etc etc....

pulisa
14-12-21, 17:59
Congrats to you for Thursday EA.

Before anyone starts having the ab-dabs over today's high case numbers (mostly in England), let's do a bit of contextual comparison with other Covid stats today vs this time last year, all of which still compare favourably (at this stage).

Deaths:
14/12/21; 150 (and it's Tuesday today)
14/12/20; 232 (Monday)
15/12/20; 506 (Tuesday)

Hospital admissions:
10/12/21; 793 (most recent date)
14/12/20; 1,956

Covid patients in hospital:
13/12/21; 7,672 (most recent date)
14/12/20; 18,246

Daily Covid tests;
13/12/21; 1, 307, 252 (mrd)
14/12/20; 275,772

And yes I know we still don't know enough about Omicron so far and how it's likely to affect most people, but I have still done a now vs then comparison anyway.

Nevertheless, I still reckon going by the daily testing stats this time last year vs now, the daily confirmed cases back then were still only the tip of the iceberg, and even more so during the original first wave over the first half of 2020.

And does this comparison make you feel less anxious?

Catkins
14-12-21, 18:24
To be honest I'm not watching the news at the moment, I don't think it'll do me any good, but those figures look good Lenco.

I had FFP3 fit testing today - totally unrelated to Covid. Even though I'm in healthcare because I've never actually knowingly treated someone with Covid it hasn't been necessary, had to wear visors/goggles but no FFP3 mask. The reason I have to have it now - nail dust. We're still in the midst of a pandemic and I had to march on the spot and do various manoeuvres to make sure that I don't breathe in nail dust, even though I've been breathing it in for over 20 years.

With regards to not being able to return to work until you have a negative PCR. I'm pretty sure if you've had Covid that you will more than likely show positive on a PCR for some time after you've recovered. I can't remember if it was one month or three, but when we had an outbreak at work last Christmas and we all had to have weekly PCR tests, those that had had Covid couldn't do them. Similarly with vaccination, you had to wait a month after having Covid to have your vaccination. Mind you that could all have changed again.

Lencoboy
14-12-21, 18:25
And does this comparison make you feel less anxious?

Yes, sort of, though we've still got to wait a bit longer before we see the full impact of Omicron on hospitalisations and deaths (if as bad or worse).

In the meantime (at least), it's also a kind of reassurance to many others on here.

Pamplemousse
14-12-21, 18:28
Well, earlier this afternoon I received a text message from my GP practice, which read (redacted to remove personal details):

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to cancel your appointment on Friday 24/12/2021. Can I kindly ask you to call the practice at the end of January 2022 to rearrange?

This was for my diabetic review. A casualty of Sunday's announcement, perhaps?

Pamplemousse
14-12-21, 18:30
To be honest I'm not watching the news at the moment, I don't think it'll do me any good, but those figures look good Lenco.

I had FFP3 fit testing today - totally unrelated to Covid. Even though I'm in healthcare because I've never actually knowingly treated someone with Covid it hasn't been necessary, had to wear visors/goggles but no FFP3 mask. The reason I have to have it now - nail dust. We're still in the midst of a pandemic and I had to march on the spot and do various manoeuvres to make sure that I don't breathe in nail dust, even though I've been breathing it in for over 20 years.

With regards to not being able to return to work until you have a negative PCR. I'm pretty sure if you've had Covid that you will more than likely show positive on a PCR for some time after you've recovered. I can't remember if it was one month or three, but when we had an outbreak at work last Christmas and we all had to have weekly PCR tests, those that had had Covid couldn't do them. Similarly with vaccination, you had to wait a month after having Covid to have your vaccination. Mind you that could all have changed again.

Nail dust - Podiatrist?

Lencoboy
14-12-21, 18:53

Yes, even though they don't quite yet account for Omicron, as we have so far had only 1 recorded death and 9 recorded hospitalisations of persons WITH rather than directly OF Omicron.

Speculation is already abounding about Omicron infections now possibly having peaked already in SA, but I'm still not holding my breath ATM.

It was brought up somewhere within the BBC site earlier today.

pulisa
14-12-21, 19:40
Chris Whitty doesn't agree with Dr Coetzee on her appraisal of Omicron.

pulisa
14-12-21, 19:44
Well, earlier this afternoon I received a text message from my GP practice, which read (redacted to remove personal details):

This was for my diabetic review. A casualty of Sunday's announcement, perhaps?

Yes it will be but I suppose it's reassuring that you are considered a non-urgent case. Everything "routine" will be shelved. Let us hope that urgent non-Covid health issues still get a look in?

pulisa
14-12-21, 19:48

Good to know that the NHS is finally protecting you from killer nail dust, Catkins! Could this be the start of a cuticleosis outbreak or will the FFP3 mask nail it?

Catkins
15-12-21, 06:21
Nail dust - Podiatrist?

Podiatry Assistant, we see people who just have nail problems and assist in other area areas, nail surgery, vascular assessments, ulcer clinics etc..

Catkins
15-12-21, 06:22
Good to know that the NHS is finally protecting you from killer nail dust, Catkins! Could this be the start of a cuticleosis outbreak or will the FFP3 mask nail it?

🤣🤣🤣

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 10:58
There seems to be a lot of mixed views from scientists re Omicron right now, which I won't elaborate on ATM.

Whilst I don't intend to trivialise Omicron in any way, IIRC there were already deaths of persons infected with the original wild-type variant last year less than a fortnight after testing positive, but still only one officially reported death in the world so far of a person infected with Omicron.

Though I know it's still relatively early days yet as far as Omicron is concerned, but with previous variants their deadliness and lethality seemed to be far more obvious earlier on, despite Omicron cases now reportedly doubling every 2 days.

Still no news so far on the full circumstances of that one person who died with Omicron, nor on the few persons hospitalised with it. Then again, I guess the govt (ironically for the right reasons) might have some kind of agenda right now to scare many of the so-called plebs and imbeciles of our society witless into both getting jabbed and also to change their behaviours, even if Omicron does still turn out to be nothing more than a bad cold.

After all, like I already said the other day, the frighteners and shock value are probably often the only language the plebs and imbeciles of our society truly understand.

Meanwhile, for better or worse, the govt still didn't opt for a full national lockdown yesterday though.

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 12:12
There seems to be a lot of mixed views from scientists re Omicron right now, which I won't elaborate on ATM.

Whilst I don't intend to trivialise Omicron in any way, IIRC there were already deaths of persons infected with the original wild-type variant last year less than a fortnight after testing positive, but still only one officially reported death in the world so far of a person infected with Omicron.

Though I know it's still relatively early days yet as far as Omicron is concerned, but with previous variants their deadliness and lethality seemed to be far more obvious earlier on, despite Omicron cases now reportedly doubling every 2 days.

Still no news so far on the full circumstances of that one person who died with Omicron, nor on the few persons hospitalised with it. Then again, I guess the govt (ironically for the right reasons) might have some kind of agenda right now to scare many of the so-called plebs and imbeciles of our society witless into both getting jabbed and also to change their behaviours, even if Omicron does still turn out to be nothing more than a bad cold.

After all, like I already said the other day, the frighteners and shock value are probably often the only language the plebs and imbeciles of our society truly understand.

Meanwhile, for better or worse, the govt still didn't opt for a full national lockdown yesterday though.

My dad also reckons that the govt are desperate to be seen to be doing something right now with the latest Covid measures partly because of other agendas, such as trying to claim victory in the North Shropshire by-election tomorrow, in itself the subject of a disgraced out-going (Tory) MP who was involved in scandals.

Pamplemousse
15-12-21, 14:41
Yes it will be but I suppose it's reassuring that you are considered a non-urgent case. Everything "routine" will be shelved. Let us hope that urgent non-Covid health issues still get a look in?

This is my sister's major concern (she works for the NHS).

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am bloody terrified about Omicron.

fishman65
15-12-21, 14:48
Press briefing later today. This latest estimate from Dr Jenny Harries looks very alarming. I had arranged to take my Dad for a haircut tomorrow, I may have to cancel that as he's 92.

Pamplemousse
15-12-21, 14:59
I think that a lockdown is now in the realm of "when", rather than "if".

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 15:00
This is my sister's major concern (she works for the NHS).

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am bloody terrified about Omicron.

I'm more confused rather than terrified ATM, especially as there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions from both experts and politicians right now.

The other day Dominic Raab was under fire for mistakenly stating that there are more than 200 persons in hospital with Omicron ATM, but the actual reported number (to-date) is 14.

One professor was having digs at the govt yesterday over the lack of details concerning the true circumstances of the first death of a person with Omicron, claiming that they were already in hospital when they tested positive for Omicron/Covid, but could very well have been admitted for something else (e.g, being hit by a bus) but patient confidentiality prohibits any full details on the matter until further notice.

Ditto for the 14 other patients currently in hospital WITH Omicron.

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 15:03
I think that a lockdown is now in the realm of "when", rather than "if".

Well why the hell didn't they go the whole hog and just announce another lockdown for once and for all last night then, if things are estimated to get so dire?

On a more positive note, I've just read on the BBC site that a record number got their booster jabs yesterday. More than 600k, the highest daily total so far!

elizabethalice
15-12-21, 16:48
I've cancelled my weekend plans, just going to go to my friends house to see her for her 30th instead. Crazy high rates today and I've been feeling super anxious about it all. My boyfriend is going to his parents for a few days tomorrow (other side of the country) and I'm really worried he's going to get stuck there for christmas. It's not the end of the world if he does but Christmas is quite a hard time for me and my family and I really want him to be there. Why is the pandemic so tough 😣

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 17:02
I've cancelled my weekend plans, just going to go to my friends house to see her for her 30th instead. Crazy high rates today and I've been feeling super anxious about it all. My boyfriend is going to his parents for a few days tomorrow (other side of the country) and I'm really worried he's going to get stuck there for christmas. It's not the end of the world if he does but Christmas is quite a hard time for me and my family and I really want him to be there. Why is the pandemic so tough 😣

I also wonder the very same thing 'why is this pandemic so tough?'

But of course we still need to hang on in there and wait and see how things like hospitalisations and deaths specific to Omicron pan out in the meantime.

Casting aside the bad news of today's record number of cases, a record number of third booster jabs were dished out yesterday (and possibly today as well), plus daily testing is at an all-time high, so more people ARE taking Covid more seriously once again, which of course they should already have done before Omicron first came along, rather than revelling in all the antivaxx and conspiracy theory silliness.

Also to paraphrase Nick Ross, let's not have nightmares tonight, and try to sleep tight!!

Catkins
15-12-21, 17:16
Still only under 10 people in the north of our county in hospital with Covid.

We have got cases of omicron here, but so far no big increase in hospitalisations. This is a good sign. I'm not worried about rising cases, what would concern me is rising hospitalisations.

Pamplemousse
15-12-21, 17:24
Hospitalisations (and deaths) tend to follow with a lag.

I just want to get through the next two days at work without catching anything - and when I finish work on Friday night I am putting up the shutters.

Stuff Christmas - I don't care if I'm down to one meal a day, I am not leaving the house.

pulisa
15-12-21, 18:03
I prefer to listen to Chris Whitty over any of these "experts". Must be hard trying to support the Gov when you think decisions are flawed

fishman65
15-12-21, 18:29
So just thinking out loud here guys. Do we ignore BJ et al and listen to the science? After all, we were told to follow it enough times in the prior waves. I phoned my Dad and he still wants his haircut. I also have a daughter who is supervisor in Spar. I encouraged her to move out last winter but can't do it again.

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 19:33
We have got cases of omicron here, but so far no big increase in hospitalisations. This is a good sign. I'm not worried about rising cases, what would concern me is rising hospitalisations.

Ditto with me Catkins.

Had this been a year ago, especially as still only a handful of people were vaccinated with their first jab alone (and I had my first in Feb 2021), today's cases of 78k would have no doubt freaked me out big time.

But of course, like PM said above, there's usually a 2-3 week lag before hospitalisations and deaths start ensuing, but with the total cases of Omicron we've had worldwide during the past month (or maybe even a little longer) up until now, there's still no signs of anything mega drastic so far in terms of both hospitalisations and deaths, but of course, we'll see.

Lencoboy
15-12-21, 19:41
I prefer to listen to Chris Whitty over any of these "experts". Must be hard trying to support the Gov when you think decisions are flawed

I agree Pulisa.

I think people are now starting to lose patience with the govt generally.

Seems that Boris has gone from being hailed as the greatest leader since Churchill during the height of the first wave of the pandemic to being 'public enemy number one' now!

It will be most interesting to see how tomorrow's North Shropshire by-election plays out.

pulisa
15-12-21, 19:45
So just thinking out loud here guys. Do we ignore BJ et al and listen to the science? After all, we were told to follow it enough times in the prior waves. I phoned my Dad and he still wants his haircut. I also have a daughter who is supervisor in Spar. I encouraged her to move out last winter but can't do it again.

I think your Dad should have his haircut tomorrow-masked of course- and you should ask your daughter to book her booster as a matter of responsibility to both her family and to her place of work.

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-21, 09:44
You know, you try to help someone but there comes a time when you have to recognise you're bashing your head against a wall. My 22 year old daughter is fed up with covid and says she won't get a booster because of BJ and his lies. While I sympathise and agree about this wholly imbecilic PM we have, I've urged her to get her booster at the earliest opportunity. Hopefully she will comply but I'm not holding my breath.

So talking to Mrs F this evening, I've suggested to her to up her dose of Vit D to 8000IU a day in the wake of Dr C's recent chat with a GP from Israel. I've recommended she use some of my Vit K2 with it while I order some more from Amazon. I then told her that 8000 isn't too high a dose considering she is carrying weight and a lot of that Vit D ends up being stored in subcutaneous fat, rather than as an active agent. But she accused me of calling her fat. I could have worded it differently but thought the fact I was trying to help her would have been enough.

Im glad you are on top of the need for k2 increases, fishman. I remember when I looked into this for threads on here a couple of years ago and found it hard to get information. Without that k2 adjustment people need to be aware what they can buy on eBay might have unintended consequences, with D2 without k2 matching the possibility of calcified deposits.

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-21, 09:52

Yes, there was talk of nurses concerned the ramp up of vaccinations would mean cancellations.

MyNameIsTerry
16-12-21, 10:01

There was a piece by the BBC where several experts were explaining how boosters are not simply top ups but add to a learning process by the immune system, an evolution of how it responds and strengthens itself as each new dose is added. This seems to account for why a booster takes it back to 75% when 2nd jabs were down to 0% in some cases.

What did you make of their assessments if you saw it?

Gary A
16-12-21, 12:30
There was a piece by the BBC where several experts were explaining how boosters are not simply top ups but add to a learning process by the immune system, an evolution of how it responds and strengthens itself as each new dose is added. This seems to account for why a booster takes it back to 75% when 2nd jabs were down to 0% in some cases.

What did you make of their assessments if you saw it?

I didn’t see it but sounds interesting. It does tie in with how viruses appear to become weaker over time. In actual fact, most don’t, it’s just that repeated infections with said virus give the immune system a better memory.

From what I’ve read about these vaccines I think there’s been a bit of short sightedness involved. To target a specific evolution of spike protein whilst not taking into account that this protein can evolve drastically is a bit strange, for me anyway. It really isn’t preparing the immune system for defence against infection from mutated spike proteins, which we’re now being told was a bit of an inevitability.

I’m really interested in studies that show how the rest of the immune system responds after vaccination. Neutralising antibodies certainly seem, at this point, to be borderline useless against even mild evolutions of the virus. There clearly is a far better response from the other arms of the immune system, so for me the next task should be finding a way to better prime those other arms. Accept that infections cannot be prevented and ensure that when viral cells infect ours, our immune systems are equipped to recognise and kill them before any real damage is done.

Much easier to type that on a forum than actually do it, of course, but I fully believe we have the knowledge and the technology to do it.

Pamplemousse
16-12-21, 12:41

Ha! Did you hear what the MP Joy Morrissey said on Twitter about Whitty?

"Perhaps the unelected covid public health spokesperson should defer to what our ELECTED Members of Parliament and the Prime Minister have decided."

She later deleted the Tweet.

She went on to say that we live in a democracy, not a "public health socialist state".

There really are some dimwits in public office...

Lencoboy
16-12-21, 15:29

"Perhaps the unelected covid public health spokesperson should defer to what our ELECTED Members of Parliament and the Prime Minister have decided."

She went on to say that we live in a democracy, not a "public health socialist state".

There really are some dimwits in public office...

Yeah, who aren't even fit to be MPs in the first place!

Lencoboy
16-12-21, 15:52
Funny how in just the space of a week many people in this country have suddenly gone from being either full-on antivaxx or just simply indifferent to getting jabbed to now queuing en masse outside vaccination centres up and down the country, especially now the media, politicians and scientists have (for all the right reasons) basically put the fear of God into us over the Omicron variant!

Just a shame many people were previously so indifferent about getting jabbed.

Lencoboy
16-12-21, 16:19
745k booster jabs given yesterday, beating Tuesday's record of just over 600k.

Deaths still more or less stable (though down a bit on yesterday), and still in green territory on the dashboard site.

fishman65
16-12-21, 17:19
Im glad you are on top of the need for k2 increases, fishman. I remember when I looked into this for threads on here a couple of years ago and found it hard to get information. Without that k2 adjustment people need to be aware what they can buy on eBay might have unintended consequences, with D2 without k2 matching the possibility of calcified deposits.Thanks Terry. I get a lot of my medical knowledge from Dr Campbell these days and he reiterated the need for K2 if you're taking bigger doses of vit D. I'm not sure though if K2 is needed when we make D from sunlight, or just from supplements.

fishman65
16-12-21, 17:26

There really are some dimwits in public office...PM, I think the people are listening to Professor Whitty if the customers in my Dad's barber's are anything to go by. There weren't any apart from one chap who was just leaving. Four barbers stood about chatting and that's with less than 10 days to Xmas. It's usually busy there too and obviously sad to see businesses suffering, but the public are steering clear.

Lencoboy
16-12-21, 17:39
PM, I think the people are listening to Professor Whitty if the customers in my Dad's barber's are anything to go by. There weren't any apart from one chap who was just leaving. Four barbers stood about chatting and that's with less than 10 days to Xmas. It's usually busy there too and obviously sad to see businesses suffering, but the public are steering clear.

Well at least as far as the public are concerned, they're increasingly wising up to the current situation.

And while it's unfortunate for many businesses to be seeing sudden slumps in trade and footfall over the past few days, at least most are still actually open ATM unlike this time last year when much of this country was already technically in lockdown.

elizabethalice
16-12-21, 18:05
Had my booster today! Wasn't too busy but the pharmacy was only doing pre booked appointments. Had Moderna, feel quite tired now but not too bad - I also have a headache because I spent an hour this morning crying at the state of the world 😬 but otherwise I feel good and happy I've had it!

Lencoboy
16-12-21, 18:12
Had my booster today! Wasn't too busy but the pharmacy was only doing pre booked appointments. Had Moderna, feel quite tired now but not too bad - I also have a headache because I spent an hour this morning crying at the state of the world 😬 but otherwise I feel good and happy I've had it!

Congrats to you EA.

At least it proves you've done your bit through your own will and not through having the fear of God put into you, unlike many of the so-called imbeciles and brain-dead of our society.

Catkins
16-12-21, 18:22
This time last year, well in a couple of days time. We moved our son down to London. While we were there London went into Tier 3 and I had to go straight into isolation when I got home as I found out a colleague tested positive and I had been in a car with her a few days earlier.

Christmas was spent in isolation (even though by some miracle I didn't catch it).

This year my son is in London, hoping to come back home for Christmas. Sensibly he's going to have a PCR test before travelling - he's double vaxed too. It suddenly dawned on me that there's a chance he might not get home. Absolutely gutted. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before.

I'm going to have to really work at not getting into a state about this. It's going to be a tough Christmas anyway (first without my mum) and now there's a scenario I hadn't anticipated. If I could use swear words in here I would be typing a lot of them right now.

elizabethalice
16-12-21, 18:36
It's so tough isn't it. My boyfriend has gone to his parents for a few days, I really didnt want him to go because I just fear something is going to happen and we wont end up spending Christmas together. I know it's just a day, but I find Christmas a bit up and down anyway since my stepdad died (he was by far the festive one of the family) but at the same time I love this time of year and want to keep the Christmas spirit. Got all my fingers crossed he will make it back here. And that your son will make it back to yours Catkins. It sounds like he is being sensible!

Catkins
16-12-21, 19:03
I'll be keeping everything crossed for both of us.

Lencoboy
16-12-21, 19:29
Despite today's case numbers, I still take great comfort in the sudden enthusiasm for getting jabbed.

Though certain people on here will inevitably disagree (of whom I won't dare to name), I feel that the vaccines have basically been our main saviour over the past 12 months.

pulisa
16-12-21, 19:57
Catkins, could your son come home this weekend instead of later on in the week? If he's able to take extra leave or work from your home?

Very glad you've got your booster, EA. Anyone's guess as to what will happen next week. I don't suppose Boris has a clue either.

Catkins
17-12-21, 06:04
Catkins, could your son come home this weekend instead of later on in the week? If he's able to take extra leave or work from your home?

Very glad you've got your booster, EA. Anyone's guess as to what will happen next week. I don't suppose Boris has a clue either.

He's brought it forward to Saturday thankfully. He did a lateral flow yesterday and he was negative, still crossing fingers and toes.

pulisa
17-12-21, 08:07
That's much better news for you. I appreciate how much you want your son to be with you..especially now. Just one day to get through now.

Covid is pretty rife here in the South East but just got to keep going. Will be glad when Christmas is over.

Lencoboy
17-12-21, 09:03
That's much better news for you. I appreciate how much you want your son to be with you..especially now. Just one day to get through now.

Covid is pretty rife here in the South East but just got to keep going. Will be glad when Christmas is over.

At least the schools, etc, are about to break up for the Christmas holidays which should hopefully help the situation a bit, coupled with the record rates of people getting their booster jabs right now.

elizabethalice
17-12-21, 09:19
Not feeling brilliant after my booster. I had a fever in the night and very low on energy today. Sure it'll improve after a day or so.

Great to hear your son can get back early Catkins. Fingers crossed he can get back safe. Tuesday still feels far away for when boyfriend returns but I'm trying to stay hopeful!

elizabethalice
17-12-21, 09:46
Apparently the person who died of Omicron was an unvaxxed anti vaxxer. Obviously, thoughts always with the family.

But does mean that to this date as far as we know no vaxxed people have died of Omicron.

Pamplemousse
17-12-21, 10:03
Not feeling brilliant after my booster. I had a fever in the night and very low on energy today. Sure it'll improve after a day or so.

Great to hear your son can get back early Catkins. Fingers crossed he can get back safe. Tuesday still feels far away for when boyfriend returns but I'm trying to stay hopeful!

I've heard quite a few people have felt pretty ropey after Moderna, but it passes.

@Catkins - I spent last Christmas with my sister, who omitted to tell me that she had tested positive a few days earlier. I didn't get it either.

Lencoboy
17-12-21, 10:56
Apparently the person who died of Omicron was an unvaxxed anti vaxxer. Obviously, thoughts always with the family.

But does mean that to this date as far as we know no vaxxed people have died of Omicron.

Well that's some kind of relief for us vaxxed individuals, at least until further notice.

Still not a dickie bird from the BBC about it just yet though.

elizabethalice
17-12-21, 11:18
I've heard quite a few people have felt pretty ropey after Moderna, but it passes.

Yes my boyfriend had Moderna for his first 2 jabs, he wasn't feeling great after them, but I've heard it's good for protection so that's fine with me! Still very glad I got it asap.

Lencoboy
17-12-21, 14:58
Yes my boyfriend had Moderna for his first 2 jabs, he wasn't feeling great after them, but I've heard it's good for protection so that's fine with me! Still very glad I got it asap.

Obviously feeling a bit ropey for a day or two after being jabbed with Moderna (or any of the other jabs) is by far a walk in the park compared to actually catching Covid and inadvertently ending up in hospital and/or dying of it.

Lencoboy
17-12-21, 15:39
The BBC have revealed this afternoon that the booster jabs are now believed to be over 85% effective against Omicron, more than 10% greater than previously assumed, which sounds promising.

Scass
17-12-21, 15:49
My 7yo just had a positive lft. We’ve both gone and done PCR tests, so now we wait.
She has been sneezing since last night, but she has allergies, and the pattern wasn’t much different from normal. After school though she was all bunged up, so I did the lft abd it showed positive instantly. She’s ok, just blocked up. She is upset that we will probably have to isolate for 10 days.

I got my booster last Saturday, so not quite within the protection limits. I have had a headache all day, but I also testerd negative yesterday & this morning - I do tests for work.

I can’t exactly keep away from her, she’s 7.

I’ve had a good cry, I am scared of us all getting ill but I will try and stay positive- especially for her.

elizabethalice
17-12-21, 16:04
Obviously feeling a bit ropey for a day or two after being jabbed with Moderna (or any of the other jabs) is by far a walk in the park compared to actually catching Covid and inadvertently ending up in hospital and/or dying of it.

Yes of course, I know that well from my own run in with covid. Even having it relatively mildly was absolutely awful and I never want it again! Feeling a bit better now

elizabethalice
17-12-21, 16:06
My 7yo just had a positive lft. We’ve both gone and done PCR tests, so now we wait.
She has been sneezing since last night, but she has allergies, and the pattern wasn’t much different from normal. After school though she was all bunged up, so I did the lft abd it showed positive instantly. She’s ok, just blocked up. She is upset that we will probably have to isolate for 10 days.

I got my booster last Saturday, so not quite within the protection limits. I have had a headache all day, but I also testerd negative yesterday & this morning - I do tests for work.

I’ve had a good cry, I am scared of us all getting ill but I will try and stay positive- especially for her.

Sorry to hear this. I'm sure she will be ok given her age. And you should be fine too having had your booster - I read earlier that boosters give protection in a matter of days, not weeks like initial vaxxes. It's hard but try not to worry too much!

elizabethalice
17-12-21, 16:10
The BBC have revealed this afternoon that the booster jabs are now believed to be over 85% effective against Omicron, more than 10% greater than previously assumed, which sounds promising.

This is great news! Could you link where you saw this? I cant see it and am curious to see the article!

Lencoboy
17-12-21, 16:51
This is great news! Could you link where you saw this? I cant see it and am curious to see the article!

It was on the BBC News site, which of course is prone to chopping and changing throughout the day, especially following the Lib Dems amazing victory in yesterday's North Shropshire by-election, which has (understandably) been the foremost headline article today.

Today's UK-wide (dashboard) case increase has slowed a little, and its confirmed cases in Scotland and NI have even shown slight falls today (accounting for all variants).

The latest vaccination stats at face value look like they've taken a dramatic dive today, but it's due to England's latest jab stats being delayed until 7 pm tonight.

Only 111 confirmed UK-wide Covid deaths today, which is still pretty amazing given the events of the past 3 weeks.

P.S, Before anyone pipes up, no death is actually amazing, just that they haven't (yet) seen a rapid surge in line with what's been happening over the past 3 weeks (including existing Delta infections).

pulisa
17-12-21, 18:02

Such a shame as you've all done so well to avoid it so far....but she's just effectively got a cold and chances are with your 3 doses of vaccine you will have similar symptoms if you catch it. I'm aware that your asthma will be anxiety-provoking though but as you say, you can't keep your distance from your little girl. I'm sure you will be well stocked up with asthma meds anyway.

She'll be well for her January birthday and if you and your partner get it at least covid will be done and dusted for that special day:hugs:

Pamplemousse
17-12-21, 18:51

Here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59696499

Scass
17-12-21, 19:02
Such a shame as you've all done so well to avoid it so far....but she's just effectively got a cold and chances are with your 3 doses of vaccine you will have similar symptoms if you catch it. I'm aware that your asthma will be anxiety-provoking though but as you say, you can't keep your distance from your little girl. I'm sure you will be well stocked up with asthma meds anyway.

She'll be well for her January birthday and if you and your partner get it at least covid will be done and dusted for that special day:hugs:

You are the loveliest [emoji3590]

pulisa
17-12-21, 19:45
You are the loveliest [emoji3590]

I do feel for you, Scass...It's easy for me to sympathise but I realise how stressful this is for you. Please keep posting and I hope your little girl is soon keeping you distracted by planning her Christmas and birthday schedules!!

Lencoboy
17-12-21, 20:08
Wow, another daily vaccination record set in the UK yesterday over 800k!

Stats just been published in full on dashboard site.

Scass
17-12-21, 20:32
I do feel for you, Scass...It's easy for me to sympathise but I realise how stressful this is for you. Please keep posting and I hope your little girl is soon keeping you distracted by planning her Christmas and birthday schedules!!

She is fine really, just sneezy and blocked up. I hope she stays that way really.
I was considering keeping her off school this week because I’m wfh, but I didn’t want her to miss out on all the fun stuff they were doing. I have been avoiding so many things, but I still am presuming she got it from school.
I will keep talking, thank you.
My sister, her son & partner all had it in the last few weeks very mildly, so I just hope it’ll be similar for us.

pulisa
17-12-21, 20:55
So hard to avoid if you've got school age children but a shame she has to miss out on the fun stuff at end of term. The school could have to close early anyway, I suppose, if too many staff are off sick?

Better she gets it now than on Xmas Day if it had to happen. Have you got a contingency plan for food shopping?

Catkins
17-12-21, 21:15
Sorry to hear your news Scass, here's hoping for mild symptoms and a rapid recovery.

I have good news, my son landed home tonight unexpectedly. It's so lovely that he's here.

Carys
17-12-21, 22:20
Its impossible for people with children in school to avoid covid now, its rampant through the schools. Two of my family members have had their children testing positive in the last 3 weeks - AND - nobody else within the families got it/had any symptoms. The children had it so mildly that it was better than any standard cold. It must be very stressful Scass, but remember you do have those vaccines under your belt and sending all good wishes that everything is cleared up for you, with no real illness in the next 10 days.

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 05:32
Despite today's case numbers, I still take great comfort in the sudden enthusiasm for getting jabbed.

Though certain people on here will inevitably disagree (of whom I won't dare to name), I feel that the vaccines have basically been our main saviour over the past 12 months.

Lenco I think you are looking at the booster rates. The reason those are so high is due to bringing us all forward by months which has opened the flood gates. My booster should have been in February but now I'm eligible from November.

If you look at first jab rates there is little change. Vaccine hesitant people aren't coming forward. Those coming forward have been double jabbed and always supported vaccination.

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 06:25

I agree on vaccines. Alpha hit older groups but vaccination has clearly stopped the same reoccurring with an even more transmissible virus. The same will occur with Omicron.

I wonder if it's the same for everyone as the 4 out of 5 of the surrounding areas (by my post code on the BBC search facility) that showed rising over 60s infections (due to waning cover) that dropped significantly as the booster programme had begun? Under 60s are going up whilst over 60s are going down. That's no coincidence.

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 06:31
Thanks Terry. I get a lot of my medical knowledge from Dr Campbell these days and he reiterated the need for K2 if you're taking bigger doses of vit D. I'm not sure though if K2 is needed when we make D from sunlight, or just from supplements.

It's supplemented D from what I recall. I did have some good links for this but lost them. These were medical practices and they had a range of D to K2. We get little from diet and sunlight. If K2 deficiency was an issue we would know about it long ago as the cardio docs would have flagged it.

I also recall that not all K2 is equal. When we eat foods containing it there are some forms that are quickly absorbed and passed through and some that stay in us longer. I know of a thread where some of us were discussing this so it should contain an explanation. I remember one member knew a lot about D and we were talking about the various forms and excretion rates of K2.

Mark1974
18-12-21, 11:03
Had my booster yesterday morning, when I retired to bed last night my whole face was tingling, and its still doing it this morning but intermittently - bit worried this is a bad side effect, anyone else experienced this symptom? I guess I'll ride it out for 2-3 days to see if it goes away.

Catkins
18-12-21, 11:38
This morning I did two lateral flow tests, that came out negative - I'm meant to be going to someones house tonight. But when my son got up he told me that even though I did a LFT, last Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday Friday and the two today, I should get a PCR test anyway just in case, so our first Christmas outing together was to a testing station. He got one because of his flatmate testing positive on Thursday (they hadn't spent much time together as his friend had just got back from New York).

pulisa
18-12-21, 14:08
I would have thought he was more likely to test positive in view of his flatmate having a confirmed case? It may be best to postpone tonight until he knows his result?

Pamplemousse
18-12-21, 14:17
Johnson has called a COBRA meeting today; I suspect further precautions/restrictions (delete as applicable) will be announced very shortly.

pulisa
18-12-21, 14:27
It's probably the COBRA Christmas party/gathering.

Scass
18-12-21, 14:35

[emoji23]

Scass
18-12-21, 14:36
Its impossible for people with children in school to avoid covid now, its rampant through the schools. Two of my family members have had their children testing positive in the last 3 weeks - AND - nobody else within the families got it/had any symptoms. The children had it so mildly that it was better than any standard cold. It must be very stressful Scass, but remember you do have those vaccines under your belt and sending all good wishes that everything is cleared up for you, with no real illness in the next 10 days.

Thanks Carys. Hope all is good with you.
I’d say she is day 3 of symptoms and is just a bit blocked up.

Pamplemousse
18-12-21, 14:38

Cynic!

Carys
18-12-21, 14:42

:roflmao: Late work meeting with quizzes, nibbles, games and alcohol.

Lencoboy
18-12-21, 15:13
Johnson has called a COBRA meeting today; I suspect further precautions/restrictions (delete as applicable) will be announced very shortly.

If we were to (dare I say it) go into another national lockdown, it wouldn't make any odds to me now personally, as I had all my (pre) Christmas fixes interacting with outsiders last week/weekend (whilst masked up), which we were unable to do last year, and am still fine.

Not trivialising the current situation though.

Lencoboy
18-12-21, 15:21
Lenco I think you are looking at the booster rates. The reason those are so high is due to bringing us all forward by months which has opened the flood gates. My booster should have been in February but now I'm eligible from November.

If you look at first jab rates there is little change. Vaccine hesitant people aren't coming forward. Those coming forward have been double jabbed and always supported vaccination.

And many of those vaccine-hesitant individuals are the ones partly responsible for helping to prolong this pandemic.

Lencoboy
18-12-21, 16:28
There's actually been a slight fall in dashboard cases today (90k today vs 93k yesterday), and in England of all places.

Scotland and NI however have seen increases, but Wales, of course, don't publish their stats on Saturdays so that could also be another significant factor behind today's fall.

Pamplemousse
18-12-21, 16:40
There's actually been a slight fall in dashboard cases today (90k today vs 93k yesterday), and in England of all places.

Of which 10,000 are said to be of Omicron.

26,000 new cases in London yesterday, state of emergency declared in London today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59711474

fishman65
18-12-21, 16:51
It's supplemented D from what I recall. I did have some good links for this but lost them. These were medical practices and they had a range of D to K2. We get little from diet and sunlight. If K2 deficiency was an issue we would know about it long ago as the cardio docs would have flagged it.

I also recall that not all K2 is equal. When we eat foods containing it there are some forms that are quickly absorbed and passed through and some that stay in us longer. I know of a thread where some of us were discussing this so it should contain an explanation. I remember one member knew a lot about D and we were talking about the various forms and excretion rates of K2.That's good to know Terry. I try to get Mrs F to keep taking the Vit D on a regular basis but she complains I'm nagging her. She also tells me K2 gives her an upset stomach. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

Anyway daughter has gone out all dolled up so these vaccines should be getting tested sooner than we thought.

pulisa
18-12-21, 17:59

And party bags containing LFTs which are no longer available at pharmacies for the plebs?

It's a proportionate response though to an emergency situation so carry on and do those things which are important to you...but just limit them and get boosted now after washing your hands.

Catkins
18-12-21, 18:01
I would have thought he was more likely to test positive in view of his flatmate having a confirmed case? It may be best to postpone tonight until he knows his result?

I've explained the situation to my friend. I've offered not to come. But instead it has been moved to outside round a fire pit, socially distanced. I feel reasonably OK about going with it being outside.

I checked with him about how much actual time he had spent with his flatmate. He said he hadn't really spent any time with him as he had just got back from New York and it was on his return PCR that he tested positive on. But I guess his friend would have been in the shared spaces, although his friend has his own bathroom so that will have helped to keep them separate.

Catkins
18-12-21, 18:10
I really hope he tests negative. I won't be able to relax until he gets his result.
At least then I can deal with it.

Pamplemousse
18-12-21, 18:11
And party bags containing LFTs which are no longer available at pharmacies for the plebs?

Ooh, sore point here: I have some, but one of my colleagues (who lives nearby) is struggling to get some local to her and she wants them for diverse reasons involving elderly relatives. Now, until this stupid collection system was initiated I'd have just picked up a couple of boxes for her from my local chemists and driven them up to her, shoving them through the letterbox.

Carys
18-12-21, 18:43
It's a proportionate response though to an emergency situation so carry on and do those things which are important to you...but just limit them and get boosted now after washing your hands.

I'm not at a work meeting having alcohol, nibbles etc, was talking about the Tories. Im back in lockdown mode since Omicron appeared. LOL

Just been boosted today. :)

Catkins
18-12-21, 18:58
Ooh, sore point here: I have some, but one of my colleagues (who lives nearby) is struggling to get some local to her and she wants them for diverse reasons involving elderly relatives. Now, until this stupid collection system was initiated I'd have just picked up a couple of boxes for her from my local chemists and driven them up to her, shoving them through the letterbox.

What collection system? We can still get them from our local pharmacy. Fortunately I work along the corridor from one, it was either the beginning of this week or the end of last I collected some. I don't know if it was because I'd found the pharmacists house keys in the toilet (not literally) and was returning them, but they gave me 4 boxes of 7.

Pamplemousse
18-12-21, 19:36
What collection system? We can still get them from our local pharmacy. Fortunately I work along the corridor from one, it was either the beginning of this week or the end of last I collected some. I don't know if it was because I'd found the pharmacists house keys in the toilet (not literally) and was returning them, but they gave me 4 boxes of 7.

This: https://test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/collect-lateral-flow-kits

From that:

1. Get a collect code

Before you go to the pharmacy, use this service to get a collect code. This is a code that you need to show when you collect your test packs. You can create an account so it’s quicker next time.

You can also get a collect code by calling 119 (free from landlines and mobiles). Lines are open from 7am to 11pm.

We’ll send your collect code by email or text. You can print your code.

You can collect test packs for your household or another household. You must get a collect code for each household.
2. Collect your tests

Take your collect code to the pharmacy. Someone will record your code and give you the tests.

You need to get a new collect code for each collection.

pulisa
18-12-21, 19:45
I'm not at a work meeting having alcohol, nibbles etc, was talking about the Tories. Im back in lockdown mode since Omicron appeared. LOL

Oh I know...The "you" was meant to refer to people in general! I should have used the royal "One"!:D

Really well done on getting boosted! I know it's far from easy for you...so all the more credit to you.

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 22:04

Boris Bingo!

Will COBRA decide on a lockdown to be enacted 1 min after the Xmas party has ended?

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 22:07

I don't need the image of a drunken party hatted Boris having 'a nibble' :emot-puke:

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 22:09
And many of those vaccine-hesitant individuals are the ones partly responsible for helping to prolong this pandemic.

Around 60% vax rates around those areas Omicron is having it's fun.

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 22:11

Party bags contracted out to a mate of the minister for...

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 22:15

Oo er. I would say you must have enjoyed it but it's only a little prick. :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
18-12-21, 22:19

Usually a box of Roses would be the norm as a thank you.

Are they like snout as prison currency in Porridge?

Pamplemousse
18-12-21, 22:36

Now... when I worked in Atlanta in the 90s, "boosted" was slang for pocket-picking; I overheard a gentleman on the MARTA say that someone had "boosted" his wallet...

Catkins
18-12-21, 23:24
This: https://test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/collect-lateral-flow-kits

From that:

I had no idea! I just went and asked and they gave me some. I've done it a few times now. Maybe it's because I work down the corridor.

Catkins
18-12-21, 23:27
Usually a box of Roses would be the norm as a thank you.

Are they like snout as prison currency in Porridge?

I would have welcomed a box of Rose's. Or maybe half Rose's and half LFT's.

pulisa
19-12-21, 07:55
All I want for Christmas is a box of LFTs.....

Let it flow, let it flow, let it flow...

LFTS aren't available around here, Catkins. All gone. I'd recommend you stocking up and making the most of your rightful NHS privileges?

Catkins
19-12-21, 11:49
I've got 4 boxes of 7 and 1 left from a previous box. So I'm good.

My son got his PCR test back and it was negative ..... mine on the other hand was positive. Just about to head off into the bedroom to isolate. Problem is I'm currently looking after my nephew ☹

Symptom wise, I've got a thickly cough but that's it. No loss of taste or smell. Nothing. Feel a bit tired - but I only had about 6 hours sleep last night.

Husband will have to get tested, which I know he won't be happy about.

So 6 negatives can still make a positive.

Pamplemousse
19-12-21, 12:40
Bugger. Sorry to hear that, Catkins. One thing people are so far vague about is the incubation period of Omicron.

Anecdote I know but of the people I know who've had Covid in the last fortnight, both said it was just like a heavy cold. One said his lungs "felt heavy", but that was it. One still has an occasional cough but nothing more.

Today I did a LFT as I'm going to see my brother - using a different nostril for a change, I noticed a little blood on the swab when I withdrew it (there was no pain from putting the swab up). Has anyone else ever seen this and should I be worried? I do sometimes get spots of blood when I blow my nose and having blown my nose a couple of times subsequently there's nothing, but nonetheless it is troubling me. I have seen mention of this elsewhere on the Net, usually in the context of "will it affect the test?"

pulisa
19-12-21, 13:48

My son got his PCR test back and it was negative ..... mine on the other hand was positive. Just about to head off into the bedroom to isolate. Problem is I'm currently looking after my nephew ☹

Symptom wise, I've got a thickly cough but that's it. No loss of taste or smell. Nothing. Feel a bit tired - but I only had about 6 hours sleep last night.

I'm really sorry, Catkins....Inevitably you'll all be isolating over Christmas but at least your son will be with you. What about your nephew though? It's all so complicated..Also the people you saw last night?

pulisa
19-12-21, 13:50
Bugger. Sorry to hear that, Catkins. One thing people are so far vague about is the incubation period of Omicron.

Anecdote I know but of the people I know who've had Covid in the last fortnight, both said it was just like a heavy cold. One said his lungs "felt heavy", but that was it. One still has an occasional cough but nothing more.

Today I did a LFT as I'm going to see my brother - using a different nostril for a change, I noticed a little blood on the swab when I withdrew it (there was no pain from putting the swab up). Has anyone else ever seen this and should I be worried? I do sometimes get spots of blood when I blow my nose and having blown my nose a couple of times subsequently there's nothing, but nonetheless it is troubling me. I have seen mention of this elsewhere on the Net, usually in the context of "will it affect the test?"

It's just little capillaries bursting and nothing to worry about. Happens to me a lot. I think it may affect the test result though?

Catkins
19-12-21, 14:09
I'm really sorry, Catkins....Inevitably you'll all be isolating over Christmas but at least your son will be with you. What about your nephew though? It's all so complicated..Also the people you saw last night?

All of the people I was with last night are fully jabbed and boosted. I'm so glad we were outside and I stayed well away from them. They'll have to do daily LFT's for 10 days, although now knowing that all my 6 were negative I've suggested they do PCRs.

My release date is actually Christmas day as I put last Wednesday as the start of symptoms. Although I did have a tickly cough for a few days before that, but because of the negative lateral flows I just put it down to being a cold (as a colleague has had one).

Fortunately with my nephew, from the time I saw him (which was outside) until I got the test results I only had contact with him indoors for a few minutes and then I steered clear. My sister works at a school so fortunately she's well set up for it.

I have absolutely no idea where I have got it from though.

pulisa
19-12-21, 14:27
Work contacts? A random when at the shops? Hope your husband isn't too awkward about getting tested

Catkins
19-12-21, 14:35
He's done a lateral flow and it's negative. Although I must admit I'm less confident in their ability to diagnose at the moment. I think he should do a PCR as well - he's not convinced. I just think to be on the safe side he should.

I guess I could have caught it anywhere. I am very diligent in my mask wearing because of work and I've never stopped wearing them in shops. I guess I'll never know now.

Scass
19-12-21, 14:43
Ahh I’m sorry it got you Catkins x

Scass
19-12-21, 14:44

Mine does that too sometimes. It actually happened once when I was doing a PCR and the guy who worked there said it was still ok.

Catkins
19-12-21, 15:09
Ahh I’m sorry it got you Catkins x

Thank you Scass.

Lencoboy
19-12-21, 15:49

Wishing you a speedy recovery Catkins, and am happy that you haven't had anything mega serious so far.

Lencoboy
19-12-21, 16:09

I think this whole Omicron situation is very vague so far, with lots of conflicting views and opinions.

Yesterday the scrolling text on the Sky News channel said that as of 16th December, 7 people have died with Omicron, but didn't say where, when, age, gender, vaccination status, other possible conditions, etc. In fact, they didn't even say whether or not those deaths were all in the UK.

Like you said PM, it would also be nice if there were some stats on the average incubation period for Omicron, plus the average length of such infections and/or hospital stays, but the media and politicians are obviously trying to put the fear of God into us to get booster jabbed ASAP.

BTW, overall case numbers have dropped to 82k today, which of course might only be just a temporary blip, but they will inevitably be straight back up again tomorrow, especially with Wales playing catch-up from yesterday (Saturday).

Pamplemousse
19-12-21, 17:05
BTW, overall case numbers have dropped to 82k today

Probably because nobody can get any lateral flow tests...

pulisa
19-12-21, 17:55
He's done a lateral flow and it's negative. Although I must admit I'm less confident in their ability to diagnose at the moment. I think he should do a PCR as well - he's not convinced. I just think to be on the safe side he should.

I guess I could have caught it anywhere. I am very diligent in my mask wearing because of work and I've never stopped wearing them in shops. I guess I'll never know now.

I bet it's your husband..regardless of the negative LFT. These tests can be "manipulated" to give negative and positive results as I'm sure you know.

Lencoboy
19-12-21, 19:23
Probably because nobody can get any lateral flow tests...

What? Nobody at all? If that was the case then surely today's case numbers would be (artificially) rock bottom!

I did say, however, it could very well be just a blip/anomaly.

On the other hand, the latest daily booster jab count was over 900k, topping Thursday's record.

Tomorrow's jab count (covering today) will obviously be lower as is the norm for Sundays, but still bound to be higher than last Sunday's uptake.

raspberry22
19-12-21, 20:12
I feel like I'm losing the plot a bit today :( I had my booster so it's triggered my anxiety and I just feel so scared of EVERYTHING. I don't know how to make it stop :(

pulisa
19-12-21, 20:35
There's such a lot going on and so much uncertainty as to how things will pan out....plus you've bravely had your booster and Christmas is looming...A lot of ammunition for anxiety there.

Have you got anything to look forward to this week? Something pleasurable and completely unconnected to covid and worries?

Catkins
19-12-21, 20:59
Wishing you a speedy recovery Catkins, and am happy that you haven't had anything mega serious so far.

Thank you.

elizabethalice
19-12-21, 21:08
My dad has had to get a PCR which has sent me into a bit of a panic, he doesn't think its covid and says he started feeling a bit unwell (tired and a bit warm) yesterday but he already feels a bit better today. No respiratory symptoms or anything. He's triple vaxxed so I'm sure he'll be okay, and even if it is covid he's probably already over the worst of it due to vaxxes, he just has a few health problems which make me worry... :/ his LFT was negative.

raspberry22
19-12-21, 23:02
There's such a lot going on and so much uncertainty as to how things will pan out....plus you've bravely had your booster and Christmas is looming...A lot of ammunition for anxiety there.

Have you got anything to look forward to this week? Something pleasurable and completely unconnected to covid and worries?

I suppose Christmas itself is a thing to look forward to but for some reason big events always make me more anxious, like the lead up to it is an anxious time because I basically don't want to die before a bit event. Does that even make any sense??

Scass
20-12-21, 06:46
I feel like I'm losing the plot a bit today :( I had my booster so it's triggered my anxiety and I just feel so scared of EVERYTHING. I don't know how to make it stop :(

It’s a scary time at the moment, but you’re doing everything you can to protect yourself and those around you. There’s also Christmas pressure too.
Just find something little that gives you pleasure, relax, avoid the media.

Lencoboy
20-12-21, 08:20
My dad told me yesterday that he heard on the news that the vast majority currently in hospital with Omicron are unvaxxed.

He also told me that he heard reports about antivaxx protesters being arrested in London for lobbing fireworks, etc. A shame the law was previously too soft on such nutjobs!

That's a particular case of freedom of expression gone too far, essentially bordering on terrorism!

Lencoboy
20-12-21, 08:36
It’s a scary time at the moment, but you’re doing everything you can to protect yourself and those around you. There’s also Christmas pressure too.
Just find something little that gives you pleasure, relax, avoid the media.

I am not looking at media as much right now. In fact, I'm even avoiding YouTube as I tend to get assaulted with random links to endless Omicron/Covid-related videos, sometimes hysterical and misleading.

It's a shame much of the media in the case of Omicron have to pander to the thick and ignorant of our society by putting the fear of God into them with all kinds of shocking worst-case scenario stuff, and scaring them witless into following the rules, getting jabbed, etc, which is a blatant insult to the vast majority of us who ARE following the rules and also getting jabbed (or already triple-jabbed), even though there still remains a lot of unknowns right now.

Despite all the rampant uncertainty right now, I'm still confident we'll get through this, even if it inevitably means further restrictions in the shorter term.

I'm also hoping right now that Omicron is as bad as it gets, even though most people the world over with it have only reported relatively mild symptoms so far.

raspberry22
20-12-21, 10:10
I am not looking at media as much right now. In fact, I'm even avoiding YouTube as I tend to get assaulted with random links to endless Omicron/Covid-related videos, sometimes hysterical and misleading.

It's a shame much of the media in the case of Omicron have to pander to the thick and ignorant of our society by putting the fear of God into them with all kinds of shocking worst-case scenario stuff, and scaring them witless into following the rules, getting jabbed, etc, which is a blatant insult to the vast majority of us who ARE following the rules and also getting jabbed (or already triple-jabbed), even though there still remains a lot of unknowns right now.

Despite all the rampant uncertainty right now, I'm still confident we'll get through this, even if it inevitably means further restrictions in the shorter term.

I'm also hoping right now that Omicron is as bad as it gets, even though most people the world over with it have only reported relatively mild symptoms so far.

I really need to stop looking at figures and trying to "research" things to make myself feel better because.. it doesn't make me feel better!! I just don't know what sources and who I can trust

Lencoboy
20-12-21, 10:24
I really need to stop looking at figures and trying to "research" things to make myself feel better because.. it doesn't make me feel better!! I just don't know what sources and who I can trust

Exactly Raspberry, it's as if many media outlets (official and unofficial) are basically trying to jump on the bandwagon right now trying to outdo each other, even with blatant scare stories that might not even be true, even though I'm certainly not downplaying the current risks in any way myself.

The avid Covid non-believers and antivaxxers are my biggest bugbears, and they certainly have a lot to answer for regarding certain vulnerable and gullible individuals being 'radicalised' and indoctrinated by them, often in the name of free expression and democracy!

raspberry22
20-12-21, 15:58
Exactly Raspberry, it's as if many media outlets (official and unofficial) are basically trying to jump on the bandwagon right now trying to outdo each other, even with blatant scare stories that might not even be true, even though I'm certainly not downplaying the current risks in any way myself.

The avid Covid non-believers and antivaxxers are my biggest bugbears, and they certainly have a lot to answer for regarding certain vulnerable and gullible individuals being 'radicalised' and indoctrinated by them, often in the name of free expression and democracy!

I felt myself going towards the way of the non-believers in the early days, but fortunately managed to bring myself back. Sadly my mum has gone that way and it's really hard. I honestly think it's a mental illness in itself :(

Catkins
20-12-21, 17:00
I felt myself going towards the way of the non-believers in the early days, but fortunately managed to bring myself back. Sadly my mum has gone that way and it's really hard. I honestly think it's a mental illness in itself :(
I kind of think that the only way some people can cope with the situation is to deny it's actually happening. It's definitely not the right way to be, I just know when my brother was in the army, whenever he was in a war zone I had to switch off from it, I couldn't watch/read anything about it at all. It was particularly difficult when he was in Afghanistan, he was based in the green zone working with the Afgan army.

Although I didn't search for facts to back up my denial of the situation. Maybe that's where the line gets crossed.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-21, 06:39

Glad you got it sorted. Are you feeling better now?

I checked the NHS booking page at 5:30am last week, hoping I had more chance to avoid the queue (only took 10 seconds to get through) and luckily the site nearest for me had some slots. So I booked in for the first they had to get it done before Christmas. Got mine on Thursday.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-21, 06:44
She is fine really, just sneezy and blocked up. I hope she stays that way really.
I was considering keeping her off school this week because I’m wfh, but I didn’t want her to miss out on all the fun stuff they were doing. I have been avoiding so many things, but I still am presuming she got it from school.
I will keep talking, thank you.
My sister, her son & partner all had it in the last few weeks very mildly, so I just hope it’ll be similar for us.

Sorry to hear she is unwell, Scass. Hopefully she is over the worst by now. She's got a great mum to look after her. You may not get it anyway and you'll be putting her first regardless.

You've probably dealt with many colds and chest infections impacting on your asthma. You know what to look out for and the steps to take. And if you need a doctor they will prioritise asthma with emergency appointments.

MyNameIsTerry
22-12-21, 06:46
Hope you are well, Catkins :flowers:

With your jabs it's likely to be mild.

Catkins
22-12-21, 06:57
Hope you are well, Catkins :flowers:

With your jabs it's likely to be mild.

Thank you Terry. So far so good. Felt fine yesterday, bit more coughy last night and this morning. I think that's the way it goes, though.

Can't wait to regain my liberty, not that I do anything exciting, just looking forward to walking the dog.

pulisa
22-12-21, 08:14
Really pleased that you finally are able to get your booster, Terry! Makes a mockery of the "come forward now" plea by the Gov. So hard for some people to access jabs.

Catkins do you "qualify" for the new 7 day isolation period with LFT negative tests? Glad that you've coped with covid so admirably..I would imagine the anxiety is worse than the physical symptoms?

Scass, how are you all doing? Hope your little girl is over the worst by now and looking forward to Christmas.

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 09:08
Glad you got it sorted. Are you feeling better now?

I checked the NHS booking page at 5:30am last week, hoping I had more chance to avoid the queue (only took 10 seconds to get through) and luckily the site nearest for me had some slots. So I booked in for the first they had to get it done before Christmas. Got mine on Thursday.

Really happy you're pencilled in at long last for your booster tomorrow (Thursday).

Looks like general organisation concerning Covid jabs in your area has been rather cack-handed from the off, as the map on the dashboard site shows lesser-than-average rates of vaccinations for the SOT area, which could very well have put many people off, though I could be wrong of course.

My area (Tamworth) could also do better, but I reckon it's more to do with certain people having a 'can't be @rsed' kind of attitude as the services for jabs in the area generally seem to be very good and well-organised.

Scass
22-12-21, 10:12
Sorry to hear she is unwell, Scass. Hopefully she is over the worst by now. She's got a great mum to look after her. You may not get it anyway and you'll be putting her first regardless.

You've probably dealt with many colds and chest infections impacting on your asthma. You know what to look out for and the steps to take. And if you need a doctor they will prioritise asthma with emergency appointments.

Thank you Terry [emoji4].

She is day 6 since she tested positive and because of the new advice on cutting isolation from 10 to 7 dats after 2 negative tests, I tested her again! Unfortunately she is still positive - much fainter, but still a line.

Me & OH are still testing negative every day. I unfortunately can’t find too much relief in this because I just keep thinking that I’ll probably test positive tomorrow then [emoji23], but I am trying to stay positive. It helps that she’s not been poorly, she’s still eating like a little horse, and just has a blocked nose and an occasional cough which I think is a result of her blocked nose. She says she can’t smell either, but she can still taste.

Catkins
22-12-21, 10:15
Catkins do you "qualify" for the new 7 day isolation period with LFT negative tests? Glad that you've coped with covid so admirably..I would imagine the anxiety is worse than the physical symptoms

I don't know if I qualify under the 7 day rule to be honest. It says if you haven't got symptoms and as I've still got this cough, I guess I do. I've just done an LFT so I'll record that on the government site. To be honest I've not had a positive LFT at all, so my faith in them is a little wobbly at the moment.

Yes, definitely the anxiety about it is worse than the actual physical symptoms. That initial shock of getting the positive test result was awful, I felt just terrible for all the people I'd had contact with. Thankfully anything to do with work I knew I'd stuck to guidelines for PPE and any of my work colleagues regularly do LFT's and are fully vaccinated. Same with all shops, always a mask wearer. There was only Friday lunch and yoga with a friend, which was inside and Saturday night with friends (although that was outside) and my husband and son. All LFT's from everyone are negative and the friend I did yoga with has done a PCR and all good so far.

I've had a bit of a wobbly this morning because I felt so good yesterday and I was coughing a lot in the night so feel a bit knackered. But from what I remember it does have a pattern of feeling better, then feeling a bit worse.

Anyway, I'm working on letting go of feeling responsible for the health of the whole of my town and that all subsequent infections aren't directly related to me. After all I caught it from somewhere and whoever I got it from can't have known they had it either.

But yes so far the anxiety about getting it has been far worse than actually having it. I think I'm easily influenced by the media and they do whip everyone up into a frenzy. And I guess 21 months of anticipatory anxiety isn't going to evaporate in a few days.

That was a rather long ramble ...

Scass
22-12-21, 10:17
Glad you got your booster booked Terry!

Has everyone seen the new quarantine rules? You can cut it from 10 days to 7 if you have negative lateral flows on day 6 and 7.

I don’t think I told you all but when me and my daughter took PCRS on the 1st day she tested positive, they got mixed up (it was very confusing doing 2 at once and I was a bit stressed!) and I got the positive result and she got the negative! We tested again 2 days later and hers was positive and mine negative. Despite this, I explained it all to test and trace and they basically said - tough, there’s no benefit of doubt. Which is fair enough I suppose. So I have to self isolate too, which isn’t hard as I would stay at home with my daughter anyway - but I took my day 6 test anyway and reported it.

Scass
22-12-21, 10:19
I don't know if I qualify under the 7 day rule to be honest. It says if you haven't got symptoms and as I've still got this cough, I guess I do. I've just done an LFT so I'll record that on the government site. To be honest I've not had a positive LFT at all, so my faith in them is a little wobbly at the moment.

Yes, definitely the anxiety about it is worse than the actual physical symptoms. That initial shock of getting the positive test result was awful, I felt just terrible for all the people I'd had contact with. Thankfully anything to do with work I knew I'd stuck to guidelines for PPE and any of my work colleagues regularly do LFT's and are fully vaccinated. Same with all shops, always a mask wearer. There was only Friday lunch and yoga with a friend, which was inside and Saturday night with friends (although that was outside) and my husband and son. All LFT's from everyone are negative and the friend I did yoga with has done a PCR and all good so far.

I've had a bit of a wobbly this morning because I felt so good yesterday and I was coughing a lot in the night so feel a bit knackered. But from what I remember it does have a pattern of feeling better, then feeling a bit worse.

Anyway, I'm working on letting go of feeling responsible for the health of the whole of my town and that all subsequent infections aren't directly related to me. After all I caught it from somewhere and whoever I got it from can't have known they had it either.

But yes so far the anxiety about getting it has been far worse than actually having it. I think I'm easily influenced by the media and they do whip everyone up into a frenzy. And I guess 21 months of anticipatory anxiety isn't going to evaporate in a few days.

That was a rather long ramble ...

I think you would qualify, as long as you don’t have a fever. They expect the cough to last a few weeks I think.

Hope you relax today, you must be in that pattern of feeling better so doing loads, which then causes you to feel worse!

X

Catkins
22-12-21, 10:22
Pulisa - also stopping in is a bit of a struggle for me, because I've had agoraphobic tendencies in the past, the thought of not being able to go out is something I struggle with. So far so good though.

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 10:35
Unfortunately, my brother tested positive yesterday (presumably for Omicron), despite (only just) being triple-jabbed, but he told my dad on the phone this morning that his symptoms are relatively mild so far (mainly headaches and slight sniffles).

He already had Covid previously with the original wild-type variant fairly early on in the pandemic (in March 2020) which actually knocked him for six far more than this time so far, but not quite serious enough to warrant hospitalisation at the time.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Bro!

Scass
22-12-21, 11:11
Hope your brother gets well soon Lenco.

Catkins
22-12-21, 11:27
I think you would qualify, as long as you don’t have a fever. They expect the cough to last a few weeks I think.

Hope you relax today, you must be in that pattern of feeling better so doing loads, which then causes you to feel worse!

X

Thanks Scass. I rang the work Covid line (I work for the NHS), the 7 day rule has to be discussed by our trust tactical team and a decision made. So as it stands I still have to stay off work for 10 days (although I've only got one day left until the New Year). She said outside work I can follow the new guidelines. Because I didn't record the lateral flow test on the government site yesterday, I'll stay in today and do it tomorrow and record that as well as today's. I'm sure work will let me know if things change their end.

Catkins
22-12-21, 11:28
Yes Lenco, hope he stays mild and has a speedy recovery.

Call me Edwin
22-12-21, 12:00
One thing I would add about a cough that may or may not have anything to do with covid: runaway anxiety suppresses the digestive system. If you produce less saliva then your mouth and throat will get drier and that in itself will make you cough. So that cough is not a reliable indicator. Keep following the guidelines, keep doing home tests, and trust the results.

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 12:42
Scads and Catkins, thanks for your well wishes on behalf of my brother.

Me and my dad have both also felt a bit ropey on and off since about Monday, though we haven't seen my brother face- to-face for well over a fortnight or longer now, but we're far-removed from hospital or our death beds.

LFT kits are still fairly hard to come by locally ATM (obviously due to high demand, Covid or not), plus my dad doesn't have too much enthusiasm for going through all the rigmarole in order to obtain any right now. He also doesn't like the thought of poking the swabs down his throat and nose due to his bad experiences with doctors as a kid back in the 50s, of whom he believed were far less understanding of patients' anxieties back then compared to today.

Whilst not intending to gloat, I personally feel that I'm now quite well-practiced when it comes to LFTs without gagging and heaving.

I haven't been anywhere beyond my immediate family since last Thursday (16th December) when I voluntarily decided to make it my last day centre attendance for 2021 until at least early January when; A, even more people would have had their booster jabs by then; B, we MIGHT have reached the peak of this wave also by then. and (finally) C, it's likely to be fairly well-established by then as to how Omicron is actually playing out, for better or worse.

pulisa
22-12-21, 13:43
Pulisa - also stopping in is a bit of a struggle for me, because I've had agoraphobic tendencies in the past, the thought of not being able to go out is something I struggle with. So far so good though.

Me too,Catkins. I think you have done incredibly well psychologically..When I get covid I will get some tips from you as to how not to be a caged lion!:)

I'm confused, Scass...Have you actually tested positive too?

pulisa
22-12-21, 13:46
Sorry to hear about your brother, Lenco. He's had more than his fair share of covid-related illness.

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 13:57
Sorry to hear about your brother, Lenco. He's had more than his fair share of covid-related illness.

Yes, but surely (and hopefully), he'll be far more resilient this time round, both having already had the original strain back in March 2020 and now being fully jabbed. Plus he's quite clued up generally over what to do and what not to do.

Thanks for your well wishes anyway though.

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 16:34
Before anyone starts having the ab-dabs over today's case numbers, they actually topped 100k last Wednesday, going by the 'cases by specimen date' measure, which is probably the more accurate of the two (the other being the more-usual 'cases by date reported'), but its completeness tends to have a 5-day lag.

Date-reported deaths are still lower than last Wednesday (approximately 140 in today's count), and the latest booster jab count (for yesterday) has set an all-time record, albeit just shy of 1 million per day, though fingers crossed for that elusive milestone tomorrow.

Also first and second jabs are up too again today.

fishman65
22-12-21, 19:10
Can I just say here, you guys going through infections right now are incredible. I know you will likely say 'well we don't have much choice'. But to have followed this pandemic for nigh on two years now, and knowing pretty much everything about the virus, you all have my utmost respect.

Catkins, yes the not being able to get out. That's what I will have trouble with if/when I get infected. It's a double whammy for us anxiety people in many respects. That said its my wife I'm worried about with her medical conditions and compromised immunity.

Lenco, are you still following the Zoe app? The active cases in my region, East Northamptonshire, are 1450. That's down ​by 647 from last week?!

Scass
22-12-21, 20:27
Me too,Catkins. I think you have done incredibly well psychologically..When I get covid I will get some tips from you as to how not to be a caged lion!:)

I'm confused, Scass...Have you actually tested positive too?

Technically I did test positive but it was because we mixed mine & my daughters PCR tests up. I did another PCR 2 days later that was negative & hers came back positive.

But yes, very confusing

pulisa
22-12-21, 20:58
I think this whole testing business is very confusing and open to error, particularly with LFT accuracy and the opportunities for "doctoring" with home-testing and self-reporting. Better than nothing at all though.

Fingers crossed that you stay Covid-free, Scass so sending you negative thoughts..:D

Lencoboy
22-12-21, 22:40
Can I just say here, you guys going through infections right now are incredible. I know you will likely say 'well we don't have much choice'. But to have followed this pandemic for nigh on two years now, and knowing pretty much everything about the virus, you all have my utmost respect.

Catkins, yes the not being able to get out. That's what I will have trouble with if/when I get infected. It's a double whammy for us anxiety people in many respects. That said its my wife I'm worried about with her medical conditions and compromised immunity.

Lenco, are you still following the Zoe app? The active cases in my region, East Northamptonshire, are 1450. That's down ​by 647 from last week?!

That's a very nicely put post, Fishman.

You're dead right that the past two years have been extremely tough times for us all, but I'm confident that we're likely to be over the worst of it all in 2022. Whilst overall cases ATM are reportedly at an all-time high, at least anecdotal evidence so far suggests they appear to be getting milder for most people now, and there have only been a handful of reported Omicron-related deaths so far.

At least a lot of the rigmaroles many of us went through earlier in the pandemic such as sanitising our shopping, hard lockdowns, etc, are now generally seem to be unwarranted, and if we do end up having a post-Christmas 'lockdown' of any kind, it will probably be a 'lockdown-lite' at the very most.

I watched Dr JC's latest video tonight, where he tells us that Australia have basically said that they now 'need to learn to live with Covid' and have essentially bitten the bullet and decided to give lockdowns the heave-ho, as they now believe that herd immunity through natural infection is now the way forward, and that Australians basically 'need to be treated like adults' and trusted to make their own common-sense decisions, rather than be at the mercy of the so-called 'nanny state'.

As for the ZOE stats, I haven't looked at their site for the past week or so, but I did watch Tim Spector's latest video on YouTube tonight, straight after Dr JC's latest one, and he doesn't seem overly concerned about the current Omicron situation here in the UK, despite sky-high general Covid cases right now.

It sounds encouraging that overall active cases in your area (East Northants) now seem to be going down. Wasn't your county one of the first in England to be hit hard with the current Omicron wave?

MyNameIsTerry
23-12-21, 07:10
https://news.upday.com/uk/omicron-variant-is-less-severe-than-delta-early-studies-suggest/?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Research from Imperial College London suggests that people with confirmed omicron cases are 15 to 20% less likely to need admission to hospital than those with delta.

A separate Scotland-wide study said the omicron strain is associated with a two-thirds reduction in hospitalisation risk, though scientists warn the data is based on a small number of cases.

There will be a question over whether higher transmission partly cancels this out from a resources point of view.

Perhaps, and if this new variant remains milder, a silver lining to the higher numbers might be how it out competes Delta.

Lencoboy
23-12-21, 08:49
There will be a question over whether higher transmission partly cancels this out from a resources point of view.

Perhaps, and if this new variant remains milder, a silver lining to the higher numbers might be how it out competes Delta.

I'm sure I saw something along those lines in the scrolling (bottom screen) text on the BBC News channel last night when my dad was watching it.

It's now been speculated that Omicron already has largely outdone Delta in many parts of the UK.

Though of course the true 'proof of the pudding' probably won't be until early January regarding actual severity of Omicron, and its true impact on hospitalisations and deaths.

Catkins
23-12-21, 09:30
So due to the new changes in isolation when I got my negative LFT this morning I could go out. I registered my test on the government website with my coat on and promptly took the dog out.

The feeling of drizzle on my face has never felt so good!

Lencoboy
23-12-21, 10:39
So due to the new changes in isolation when I got my negative LFT this morning I could go out. I registered my test on the government website with my coat on and promptly took the dog out.

The feeling of drizzle on my face has never felt so good!

TBH, I don't think simply walking the dog whilst still infected with Covid is really that big a deal, provided of course you use common sense by at least keeping well apart from other people whilst out on your walk, but I'm more than willing to be shot down in flames otherwise.

I've noticed Boris and Co so far seem to have adopted a 'wait and see' approach as to whether or not they decide to impose any further restrictions in England post-Christmas, unlike the other three nations who are currently set to impose further restrictions from Boxing Day onwards.

The post-Christmas restrictions proposed for those other three nations IMO don't quite resemble even a 'lockdown-lite', and are certainly far-removed from the very first ever (hard) lockdown across the whole of the UK back in the spring of 2020.

Pamplemousse
23-12-21, 12:50

First or second LFT? It's two negatives 24 hours apart.

pulisa
23-12-21, 13:46
I think Catkins has had negative LFTs throughout her bout of covid which was confirmed by PCR?

Catkins
23-12-21, 14:12
First or second LFT? It's two negatives 24 hours apart.

It was my second. I did one yesterday and recorded it on the government website.

But as Pulisa said, I didn't get a positive at all. I did two LFT's the same day as my PCR. They were negative, PCR positive 🤷*♀️.

Lencoboy
23-12-21, 14:13
My brother rang my dad at lunchtime and told him that he feels a bit better today, so fingers crossed he might already be over the worst of his current Covid infection.

I reckon me and my parents must have Omicron right now as all three of us have felt a bit ropey since about Monday with typical symptoms (mainly headache and sniffles), but nothing mega dire thus far.

My dad enquired about a LFT kit at our local pharmacy this morning but is still unable to get one until tomorrow morning when they have their next round of deliveries. Obviously due to high demand.

No doubt it will be me once again that's the Covid 'pawn' for my immediate family, as my dad doesn't like the thought of poking the swabs down his throat and nose, but if I happen to test positive, then both my parents inevitably will also be positive at the same time.

But if I do actually end up testing positive tomorrow, I will probably (and most ironically) breathe a sigh of relief, especially if it's truly just like another common cold!

Catkins
23-12-21, 14:16
TBH, I don't think simply walking the dog whilst still infected with Covid is really that big a deal, provided of course you use common sense by at least keeping well apart from other people whilst out on your walk, but I'm more than willing to be shot down in flames

I thought it was pretty safe too. There was an elderly woman in the churchyard with her dog. I steered clear just on the off chance I had any lingering virus.

Scass
23-12-21, 15:17
My brother rang my dad at lunchtime and told him that he feels a bit better today, so fingers crossed he might already be over the worst of his current Covid infection.

I reckon me and my parents must have Omicron right now as all three of us have felt a bit ropey since about Monday with typical symptoms (mainly headache and sniffles), but nothing mega dire thus far.

My dad enquired about a LFT kit at our local pharmacy this morning but is still unable to get one until tomorrow morning when they have their next round of deliveries. Obviously due to high demand.

No doubt it will be me once again that's the Covid 'pawn' for my immediate family, as my dad doesn't like the thought of poking the swabs down his throat and nose, but if I happen to test positive, then both my parents inevitably will also be positive at the same time.

But if I do actually end up testing positive tomorrow, I will probably (and most ironically) breathe a sigh of relief, especially if it's truly just like another common cold!

I know you know this, but the lfts only need to go in your nose.
If you do go for a PCR, try & go on an empty stomach as the throat bit makes me gag.
Hope all ok.

Scass
23-12-21, 15:18
I thought it was pretty safe too. There was an elderly woman in the churchyard with her dog. I steered clear just on the off chance I had any lingering virus.

A fiend of mine continued to walk her dogs when she had covid, she went out very early, kept her mask on and didn’t talk to anyone or go near anyone.

Lencoboy
23-12-21, 15:54
A fiend of mine continued to walk her dogs when she had covid, she went out very early, kept her mask on and didn’t talk to anyone or go near anyone.

So not really a big deal then, provided the infected persons are sensible and do all the right things.

Pamplemousse
23-12-21, 16:46
I know you know this, but the lfts only need to go in your nose.

Depends on the test. I had some that were nose/throat, but the ones I have are currently nose only.

Today I seem to have gained a runny nose from them: I'm trying to tell myself it's mucus and not CSF. The swabs are very short anyway.

MyNameIsTerry
23-12-21, 17:20
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-omicron-covid-sufferers-50-25775379?111=&utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

An early study of 100 people. That's 3 studies then.

Looking good despite the huge numbers.

MyNameIsTerry
23-12-21, 17:50
That's me 'boosted'. Moderna this time.

I was surprised to find my closest centre was now offering a walk in service. That's a first and nothing on my local news feed about anything like this.

On my way I walked past an independent supermarket with a poster up for the business next to another for the nursery nearby. Over the nursery poster some CTer had taped an anti vaccine poster banging on about the killer jab with micro chips, big scam, manufactured outbreak, blah blah blah. Typical denier rubbish. So I tried to rip it off but they had stuck it down strong enough I would need a knife to cut it off. I managed to bend it over enough it can't be seen properly. I can't exactly go past with a knife but I think a permanent marker should do the trick. :whistles:

Some may complain that's denying someone freedom of speech but it's non factual science denying scaremongering garbage. So tough.

Idiots. :doh:

pulisa
23-12-21, 18:07
Glad you had your booster, Terry! Disappointed to hear that the effects start to wane after 10 weeks though so I just have another week to go...allegedly. I'll have to double up on the kiwi fruit now:D

fishman65
23-12-21, 18:55

I was surprised to find my closest centre was now offering a walk in service. That's a first and nothing on my local news feed about anything like this.

On my way I walked past an independent supermarket with a poster up for the business next to another for the nursery nearby. Over the nursery poster some CTer had taped an anti vaccine poster banging on about the killer jab with micro chips, big scam, manufactured outbreak, blah blah blah. Typical denier rubbish. So I tried to rip it off but they had stuck it down strong enough I would need a knife to cut it off. I managed to bend it over enough it can't be seen properly. I can't exactly go past with a knife but I think a permanent marker should do the trick. :whistles:

Some may complain that's denying someone freedom of speech but it's non factual science denying scaremongering garbage. So tough.

Idiots. :doh:Do you know how long it took me to put that up Terry? :mad: But congrats on your booster, how many heads is that you have now? Seriously though, well done. And yes Pulisa my own booster begins waning from about now according to my calculations, my Dad's too. But then Ominous has been downgraded to a mere irritant that two packets of Tunes can easily sort out.

Lencoboy
23-12-21, 19:32

Idiots. :doh:

Congrats to you Terry for getting your booster jab at long last today.

As for the antivaxx propaganda poster adhered to the shop window, you're most certainly NOT denying the person(s) responsible for the poster freedom of expression, they're just brain-dead extremists with an agenda!

Nice one for sabotaging their odious campaign though!

Lencoboy
23-12-21, 19:38
An early study of 100 people. That's 3 studies then.

Looking good despite the huge numbers.

Very interesting and promising despite still-ongoing uncertainties, but it will probably be at least another week or two before the true 'proof of the pudding' is revealed concerning Omicron.

pulisa
23-12-21, 19:55
Do you know how long it took me to put that up Terry? :mad: But congrats on your booster, how many heads is that you have now? Seriously though, well done. And yes Pulisa my own booster begins waning from about now according to my calculations, my Dad's too. But then Ominous has been downgraded to a mere irritant that two packets of Tunes can easily sort out.

I reckon you could supplement that with a packet of Fisherman's Friends (Extra Strong) to give you an extra week's "protection"? Failing that a good dose of Danny Dyer or James Corden to see off the stragglers...

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-21, 02:14
I reckon you could supplement that with a packet of Fisherman's Friends (Extra Strong) to give you an extra week's "protection"? Failing that a good dose of Danny Dyer or James Corden to see off the stragglers...

I certainly don't want a dose off Danny Dyer :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-21, 02:24
Do you know how long it took me to put that up Terry? :mad: But congrats on your booster, how many heads is that you have now? Seriously though, well done. And yes Pulisa my own booster begins waning from about now according to my calculations, my Dad's too. But then Ominous has been downgraded to a mere irritant that two packets of Tunes can easily sort out.

You put it on well enough, it was like a No More Nails advert

Can you still get Tunes? Not seen them for yonks.

Thanks everyone. A bit of arm ache but very slight. Well worth it.

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-21, 02:27
Glad you had your booster, Terry! Disappointed to hear that the effects start to wane after 10 weeks though so I just have another week to go...allegedly. I'll have to double up on the kiwi fruit now:D

I'm going to start shining a torch up my backside. Trump swears by it...or is that for some other reason? :whistles:

Catkins
24-12-21, 08:15
I'm going to start shining a torch up my backside. Trump swears by it...or is that for some other reason? :whistles:

I think I'll just stick to drinking bleach, I love how fresh my breath is.

pulisa
24-12-21, 08:31
I think I'll just stick to drinking bleach, I love how fresh my breath is.

Certainly makes all those expensive dental whitening procedures redundant.

pulisa
24-12-21, 08:34
Had to laugh when Trump admitted that he had had a booster and then he got booed by his flock. What do you do when your "hero" has let himself be contaminated and therefore controlled by malevolent forces?

Lencoboy
24-12-21, 08:51
Had to laugh when Trump admitted that he had had a booster and then he got booed by his flock. What do you do when your "hero" has let himself be contaminated and therefore controlled by malevolent forces?

Sounds like many of Dollard's 'flock' are avid antivaxxers/non-believers/conspiracy theorists!

Hardly surprising he got booted out by the 'sane' majority of voters a year ago, but to be PC and before I get shot down in flames, I'm not suggesting every single supporter of Dollard and Co are/were totally insane.

Gary A
24-12-21, 09:43
Well I guess it was almost inevitable, but I have now tested positive for this bloody virus. Very likely to be Omicron due to the symptoms I have. Very much like a head cold, no cough or breathlessness, no loss of taste or smell, just a headache and sneezing quite a lot.

I now have to isolate for ten days and of course, Christmas is basically cancelled for me and my immediate family. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t utterly devastated. My grandmother has advanced Alzheimer’s and it’s highly likely this will be her last Xmas, and of course I now have to spend it away from her.

I genuinely cannot wait for the day that we somehow manage to topple this fu*king virus, it’s a petty ugly little thing that is taking plenty of lives and ruining even more. Sorry for the rant, I’m just a bit gutted, to put it mildly.

Lencoboy
24-12-21, 09:44
Following yesterday's 'glimmer of hope' announcements about Omicron, people on other forums have already started playing the 'whataboutery'/'whatiffery'/ 'buttery' cards and jumping to conclusions without knowing the full facts, e.g, 'what about other variants still to come that might still be more lethal', etc.

While I'm not dismissing such concerns in any way, and we should all remain vigilant by all means, such fears are only hypothetical at this moment in time, but sadly some people just seem to revel in perpetual negativity and one-upmanship, especially the 'know-it-alls' of our society.

Whilst I have always got annoyed by those who don't give a rat's about all things Covid (and still do), I also find the 'Armageddon'-like statements from serial pessimists and doom merchants equally as jarring, whereas I like to think I'm more in the middle ground.

Just like I could ask the question 'what if I get run over by a bus or get crushed by a falling tree whilst out walking the dog later?' I don't live in daily fear of those kind of scenarios.

Lencoboy
24-12-21, 09:48
Well I guess it was almost inevitable, but I have now tested positive for this bloody virus. Very likely to be Omicron due to the symptoms I have. Very much like a head cold, no cough or breathlessness, no loss of taste or smell, just a headache and sneezing quite a lot.

I now have to isolate for ten days and of course, Christmas is basically cancelled for me and my immediate family. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t utterly devastated. My grandmother has advanced Alzheimer’s and it’s highly likely this will be her last Xmas, and of course I now have to spend it away from her.

I genuinely cannot wait for the day that we somehow manage to topple this fu*king virus, it’s a petty ugly little thing that is taking plenty of lives and ruining even more. Sorry for the rant, I’m just a bit gutted, to put it mildly.

Is the self-isolation period still 10 days in Scotland?

Here in England (at least) it was reduced down to just 7 days the other day.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Gary.

Panicattacka
24-12-21, 11:58
If at first you don't suceed, jab and jab again! (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10339679/The-Covid-blame-game-Britons-point-finger-loved-ones-getting-Covid-Christmas.html)

"Britain is considering giving out fourth Covid vaccines in a bid to stop the surge of Omicron cases, following the lead of Germany and Israel.
The rollout of a second set of boosters is being examined by experts on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). They will weigh up the levels of immunity granted by the extra jab as well as hospitalisation figures, The Telegraph reported.
Those with weakened immune systems are already entitled to a fourth jab but the elderly and other vulnerable groups could soon be included. The fourth jab would likely come four months after the third if it gets the green light and could be available in the new year.
Professor Anthony Harnden, deputy chair of the JCVI, said: ‘We need to see more data. We are in different circumstances to Israel and we need to see more data on waning immunity and vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation.’ An Israeli health expert, who is sharing findings with the UK, said they are already seeing waning immunity from the third jab, prompting the extra round of vaccinations."

What sort of “safe and effective” vaccine needs to be injected four times in a single calendar year in order to not prevent people from being infected with the disease being “prevented”? If, at this point, you submit to a FOURTH injection, you’re officially retarded.

Lencoboy
24-12-21, 12:38
If at first you don't suceed, jab and jab again! (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10339679/The-Covid-blame-game-Britons-point-finger-loved-ones-getting-Covid-Christmas.html)

"Britain is considering giving out fourth Covid vaccines in a bid to stop the surge of Omicron cases, following the lead of Germany and Israel.
The rollout of a second set of boosters is being examined by experts on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). They will weigh up the levels of immunity granted by the extra jab as well as hospitalisation figures, The Telegraph reported.
Those with weakened immune systems are already entitled to a fourth jab but the elderly and other vulnerable groups could soon be included. The fourth jab would likely come four months after the third if it gets the green light and could be available in the new year.
Professor Anthony Harnden, deputy chair of the JCVI, said: ‘We need to see more data. We are in different circumstances to Israel and we need to see more data on waning immunity and vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation.’ An Israeli health expert, who is sharing findings with the UK, said they are already seeing waning immunity from the third jab, prompting the extra round of vaccinations."

What sort of “safe and effective” vaccine needs to be injected four times in a single calendar year in order to not prevent people from being infected with the disease being “prevented”? If, at this point, you submit to a FOURTH injection, you’re officially retarded.

Sorry mate but you're bang out of order there.

Though it has already been suggested that immunity could start to wane after about 10 weeks of having the booster jab, hence why Israel, Germany, etc have already started giving second booster jabs (fourth in total).

Whilst it may on the face of it sound disappointing that further jabs could very well be needed, it's still far better than doing absolutely naff all, so to imply that we're all officially retarded if we submit to a fourth jab (dare I say it) obviously speaks volumes about yourself and your blatant propaganda!

Carys
24-12-21, 12:48
My take on it is that 'it may not be perfect' but it is the best we have, its all we have and its better than the alternatives.

glassgirlw
24-12-21, 12:51
you’re officially retarded.
(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10339679/The-Covid-blame-game-Britons-point-finger-loved-ones-getting-Covid-Christmas.html)
Maybe it’s a difference in slang between y’all and over here but am I the only one that finds this word ridiculously offensive? And I absolutely never get offended by anything. Something about this word just gets me fired up every time.

Pamplemousse
24-12-21, 13:01
Maybe it’s a difference in slang between y’all and over here but am I the only one that finds this word ridiculously offensive? And I absolutely never get offended by anything. Something about this word just gets me fired up every time.

You aren't the only one, glassgirlw. "Retarded" has long been deprecated over here in the UK - a few years ago I found myself working with a Canadian that used it a lot and I found it really uncomfortable. But hey, I'm just a PC snowflake fighting the regression of society ever since the populists got into positions of power and enabled the thick racists to "say what we've been unable to say for ages".

Gary A
24-12-21, 13:21

Well, a vaccine that is designed to combat a specific variant obviously becomes less effective when highly mutated variants arrive on the scene. If people want further vaccination, that’s up to them. If people like you don’t want further vaccination, that’s also up to you. I don’t understand why it’s so important to fruitcakes like you that everyone thinks as you do. Why are you so insecure in your opinion that you need everyone else to agree with it?

Get jabbed, don’t get jabbed. Get boosted, don’t get boosted. Nobody cares. You really aren’t that important, your opinions are even less so. You aren’t a crusader, you’re an idiot with an internet connection.