PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19 discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

pulisa
21-08-20, 08:06
Great that the Covid discussion has veered onto chocolate territory..Much more palatable!

Lencoboy
21-08-20, 10:43
Great that the Covid discussion has veered onto chocolate territory..Much more palatable!

Definitely. And what about Corona-branded fizzy pop?

Though of course the word/name 'Corona' obviously has far less innocent connotations today, so it's a good job the fizzy pop brand of that name ceased to be around the late 90s, otherwise the so-called 'flakes' would no doubt be having hissy fits over it by now had said brand continued to this very day!!

However, I haven't as yet heard of anyone getting indignant over the beer that bears the 'Corona' brand name.

ErinKC
21-08-20, 13:42
A few years ago they did mini mini eggs too - maybe because mini eggs are supposed to be a choking hazard for little kids. Not that my little has ever had one because I usually eat them all myself [emoji23]

Also love a crunchie. And revels. And most galaxy chocolate.

I can’t abide a cream egg though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was fortuitous that Covid started during Mini Egg season! This was part of our initial quarantine haul back in March. :roflmao:

Then, my 6 year old lost her first tooth biting into one on Easter morning!

Scass
21-08-20, 14:06
Ooh nice!
Yay for her first lost tooth!
I’ve found chicken nuggets an excellent food for getting loose teeth out - we’ve lost 3 that way!

Pamplemousse
21-08-20, 16:04
Do you have Ritter bars there? That's probably my favorite chocolate bar.

Oh yes :D rum and raisin with hazelnuts is my favourite, but we don't get anything like the full range here - very few shops carry it.

https://www.ritter-sport.de/en/products/

Pamplemousse
21-08-20, 16:06
Ooh nice!
Yay for her first lost tooth!
I’ve found chicken nuggets an excellent food for getting loose teeth out - we’ve lost 3 that way!

You want teeth, fillings, caps and crowns out? Cadbury's Chocolate Eclairs. I swear they only exist to keep dentists employed, having lost a few bits of dentistry to them!

Pamplemousse
21-08-20, 16:07
Definitely. And what about Corona-branded fizzy pop?

Who remembers the "Corona Man" doing weekly deliveries? :)

pulisa
21-08-20, 16:53

Maybe he should be resurrected to give talks to secondary schoolchildren?

There's a "Corona" brand of paint which I saw recently at a decorating shop. Apparently it is not in high demand...I chose another brand!

dorabella
21-08-20, 18:16
Maybe he should be resurrected to give talks to secondary schoolchildren?There's a "Corona" brand of paint which I saw recently at a decorating shop. Apparently it is not in high demand...I chose another brand!My mum never ordered from the Corona Man, but I do remember on a Saturday me and my brother used to go down to the 'Off-licence' door of the local pub to pick up a bottle of R White's Lemonade .... they tried to re-brand that one about 20 years ago - anyone remember the 'Secret Lemonade Drinker' advert with the prancing dad is his underpants raiding the fridge in the middle of the night? Was a bit racy then but comparatively tame now.

Lencoboy
21-08-20, 19:06
My mum never ordered from the Corona Man, but I do remember on a Saturday me and my brother used to go down to the 'Off-licence' door of the local pub to pick up a bottle of R White's Lemonade .... they tried to re-brand that one about 20 years ago - anyone remember the 'Secret Lemonade Drinker' advert with the prancing dad is his underpants raiding the fridge in the middle of the night? Was a bit racy then but comparatively tame now.

I think it would probably still be considered a bit risqué today, especially if aired pre-watershed.

And the R. White's branding might be a bit triggering in this current climate, as it sounds not too dissimilar to R-rate, especially if misheard!!

(I was only stating my last paragraph in jest BTW)!!

Meanwhile, just 2 CV deaths today (6 yesterday and 11 last Friday) and 1,033 cases today (1,182 yesterday and 1,441 last Friday).

dorabella
21-08-20, 19:19
Jest taken and understood......

fishman65
21-08-20, 19:29
Oh yes :D rum and raisin with hazelnuts is my favourite, but we don't get anything like the full range here - very few shops carry it.

https://www.ritter-sport.de/en/products/I can honestly say I've never heard of them PM. I do love chocolate though, but am having to avoid it. Double-deckers are one of my favourites.

Lencoboy
21-08-20, 19:36
There's some very yummy talk on this thread today, a welcome escape from its more serious intended subject!!

pulisa
21-08-20, 19:43
I think it would probably still be considered a bit risqué today, especially if aired pre-watershed.

And the R. White's branding might be a bit triggering in this current climate, as it sounds not too dissimilar to R-rate, especially if misheard!!

(I was only stating my last paragraph in jest BTW)!!

Meanwhile, just 2 CV deaths today (6 yesterday and 11 last Friday) and 1,033 cases today (1,182 yesterday and 1,441 last Friday).

Let's face it....Could we ever have R.White's lemonade anyway with the prospect of racism being thrown into the already murky waters of BLM?

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:21
Let's face it....Could we ever have R.White's lemonade anyway with the prospect of racism being thrown into the already murky waters of BLM?

How about?

https://dgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Mighty-White_HR.jpg

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:22
There's some very yummy talk on this thread today, a welcome escape from its more serious intended subject!!

Chocolate is serious stuff!!! :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:23
It was fortuitous that Covid started during Mini Egg season! This was part of our initial quarantine haul back in March. :roflmao:

Then, my 6 year old lost her first tooth biting into one on Easter morning!

I bet they all got eaten first :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:24
A few years ago they did mini mini eggs too - maybe because mini eggs are supposed to be a choking hazard for little kids. Not that my little has ever had one because I usually eat them all myself [emoji23]

Also love a crunchie. And revels. And most galaxy chocolate.

I can’t abide a cream egg though.

I remember the mini mini ones. You sometimes get them in Easter eggs I think? The way chocolate has been going they are all becoming mini or 'fun size'.

I quite like cream egg but it was nicer years ago.

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:26

I can't but the milkman always had some of the bottles. Back in the days of glass pop. Always those and dandelion & burdock (we called it dandelion & bird muck :biggrin:) which I hated back then, my parents loved it, and now I love it!

So are you a rum & raisin ice cream man too?

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:28
My mum never ordered from the Corona Man, but I do remember on a Saturday me and my brother used to go down to the 'Off-licence' door of the local pub to pick up a bottle of R White's Lemonade .... they tried to re-brand that one about 20 years ago - anyone remember the 'Secret Lemonade Drinker' advert with the prancing dad is his underpants raiding the fridge in the middle of the night? Was a bit racy then but comparatively tame now.

Yep, I remember that. The music got stuck in your head along with the Hammerite any old iron music. The Smash robot laughing used to start me off too.

Old ads were far better. Remember no more nails with the poor bloke suspended over a load of sharks? Or the excellent Lynx deodorant ones. Ads are rubbish today compared to them.

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-20, 23:30
You want teeth, fillings, caps and crowns out? Cadbury's Chocolate Eclairs. I swear they only exist to keep dentists employed, having lost a few bits of dentistry to them!

Malt bread did it for me right after the lockdown started when one tooth broke off at the corner. Luckily no pain so it's still like that since unless your leg was handing off or all your teeth are dropping out the NHS don't want to know at the moment...

AntsyVee
22-08-20, 03:04
No, no, no people. The best for pulling teeth is either salt water taffy or Tootsie Rolls.

Pamplemousse
22-08-20, 09:31
I can't but the milkman always had some of the bottles. Back in the days of glass pop. Always those and dandelion & burdock (we called it dandelion & bird muck :biggrin:) which I hated back then, my parents loved it, and now I love it!

So are you a rum & raisin ice cream man too?

Very definitely. I too remember local dairies carrying pop occasionally as well. Likewise dandelion and burdock pop - an occasional treat here. Where I was born we had our own soft drinks manufacturer, but it's long gone - Adcock's.

Pamplemousse
22-08-20, 09:33
No, no, no people. The best for pulling teeth is either salt water taffy or Tootsie Rolls.

I can remember an episode of "Kojak" where salt water taffy was key to solving a case!

Pamplemousse
22-08-20, 09:36
(Briefly) returning to topic;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53870798

Two years. I can live with that, I think.

Lencoboy
22-08-20, 09:37

Oh of course, totally forgot about that one!!

How about Black & Decker-branded products?

Scass
22-08-20, 12:35

I have a bag of chocolate eclairs near me at all times [emoji23]

Lencoboy
22-08-20, 14:33
One of today's national daily papers (Daily Telegraph I think) is already pre-empting a second full-on national lockdown in Britain (seen via 'The Papers' page on the BBC News website), but none of the other publications appear to have mentioned it, nor even the BBC News themselves, so comes across as a tad dubious to me at this stage.

Must be a slow news day for the DT, though the Daily Depress also knocked out a similar headline the other week pre-empting such a lockdown in September, that was merely the opinion of a former govt adviser from 2000-07 (I think his surname was King), and now probably a 'has-been' in pursuit of some publicity, then the following day they were trumpeting something about us winning the war on CV!!

fishman65
22-08-20, 17:36
Malt bread did it for me right after the lockdown started when one tooth broke off at the corner. Luckily no pain so it's still like that since unless your leg was handing off or all your teeth are dropping out the NHS don't want to know at the moment...Do you mean the malt loaves Terry? Dark brown in a yellow wrapper. I love them especially with butter, I can sense my diet taking a battering soon if I keep reading this thread.

dorabella
22-08-20, 19:02
Do you mean the malt loaves Terry? Dark brown in a yellow wrapper. I love them especially with butter, I can sense my diet taking a battering soon if I keep reading this thread.Soreens Malt Loaf - think it is - lovely stuff with lashings of butter! Even better accompanied by a glass of dandelion and burdock......

dorabella
22-08-20, 19:07
One of today's national daily papers (Daily Telegraph I think) is already pre-empting a second full-on national lockdown in Britain (seen via 'The Papers' page on the BBC News website), but none of the other publications appear to have mentioned it, nor even the BBC News themselves, so comes across as a tad dubious to me at this stage.Must be a slow news day for the DT, though the Daily Depress also knocked out a similar headline the other week pre-empting such a lockdown in September, that was merely the opinion of a former govt adviser from 2000-07 (I think his surname was King), and now probably a 'has-been' in pursuit of some publicity, then the following day they were trumpeting something about us winning the war on CV!!Oh they are all at it today - perhaps they haven't doom mongered enough this week.Some faceless/nameless scientist on the Sage group reckons it will never go away. Head of the WHO 'hopes' it will be eradicated within 2 years. I honestly think the MSM are itching for a second wave and another lockdown so they can just go on churning and regurgitating the last few months' headlines again .... heaven forbid any broadcasters and hack journalists might have to actually go and find some real news to talk about. This one just runs and runs.Give it a rest!

pulisa
22-08-20, 19:35
We really need a juicy Royal scandal to move things on but I'm sure Prince Philip would love to put the cat amongst the pigeons by dying and setting up the headache of a socially distanced State funeral..He'd love it!

Failing that, Harry and Meghan splitting up and Meghan dishing the dirt on William's dalliances...

fishman65
22-08-20, 20:00
Soreens Malt Loaf - think it is - lovely stuff with lashings of butter! Even better accompanied by a glass of dandelion and burdock......That's the one Dorabella, Soreens. Has anyone seen the Burdock plant growing in the wild? Huge plant with the burs which stick to everything including socks. I'm always fascinated by the dispersal methods of seed by plants. Some use the passing animal as in the burdock, some rely on water, others actively shoot their seeds from the pods. The cyclamen relies on ants to carry them off.

Scass
22-08-20, 20:38
My Mum used to toast malt loaf, it was so nice! I don’t know why I don’t do it myself - maybe I don’t want to spoil the memory.

AntsyVee
22-08-20, 21:09
I love banana nut bread. It's similar to your malt loaf. Do you all have it there?

fishman65
22-08-20, 21:57
Just found out that my daughter has gone to a work party tonight. The county has just come under reintervention due to high cases too. There will be alcohol etc. Not happy at all.

Pamplemousse
22-08-20, 23:07
I love banana nut bread. It's similar to your malt loaf. Do you all have it there?

Banana bread has become very popular during the last year or so for home baking. My personal favourite is date and walnut loaf - which, considering that I have a 50' walnut tree in my back yard, I ought to make!

AntsyVee
22-08-20, 23:33
Damn, PM. That's a lot of nuts ;)

AntsyVee
22-08-20, 23:33
Just found out that my daughter has gone to a work party tonight. The county has just come under reintervention due to high cases too. There will be alcohol etc. Not happy at all.

Uh oh.

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-20, 05:28
We really need a juicy Royal scandal to move things on but I'm sure Prince Philip would love to put the cat amongst the pigeons by dying and setting up the headache of a socially distanced State funeral..He'd love it!

Failing that, Harry and Meghan splitting up and Meghan dishing the dirt on William's dalliances...

Aren't they busy arranging themselves a publicity 'pap' whilst dishing out supplies to the wee peasants? :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-20, 05:30

Have you got a garden shed to quarantine her in :yesyes:

Seriously though I can understand your anger at this. Surely she understands the risks to her mother?!!! :shrug::buttkick:

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-20, 05:33
Yeah, that's the stuff, fishman. Save your money though because Lidl have their own version branded Rowan Hill and it's no different for less than half the price. My dad always ate it until the last of his teeth finally went and he didn't think it was any worse than the Soreen he ate for years.

Yes, slathered with butter! :yesyes:

pulisa
23-08-20, 08:04
My dad loved Soreen malt loaf too..and eccles cakes. Proper ones. So difficult to find Darn Sarf. I did try to make some once but never again!

Fishman..You must be so frustrated and angry with your daughter. You can't control what she does but if she's living with you then surely she has to understand that some things are just a needless risk and should be avoided? I'm sure her colleagues would understand and respect her for turning down stuff based on her Mum's health..hopefully?

Lencoboy
23-08-20, 09:23
Oh they are all at it today - perhaps they haven't doom mongered enough this week.Some faceless/nameless scientist on the Sage group reckons it will never go away. Head of the WHO 'hopes' it will be eradicated within 2 years. I honestly think the MSM are itching for a second wave and another lockdown so they can just go on churning and regurgitating the last few months' headlines again .... heaven forbid any broadcasters and hack journalists might have to actually go and find some real news to talk about. This one just runs and runs.Give it a rest!

This has most certainly put me on edge since yesterday, those conflicting and contradictory stories (SAGE vs the WHO), coupled with those media outlets who, like you said are probably itching for a second wave and inadvertent second national lockdown, not only so they can keep regurgitating the same old headlines from the past 6 months or so, but also to proclaim the proverbial 'I told you so'!!

One of the main factors I personally blame for the edging up of cases in this country over the past few weeks is people being allowed to travel abroad on their ritual foreign holidays once again and I personally feel that our govt acted too prematurely in relaxing said restrictions, and many are now having to pay the price for it by being saddled with the inconvenience of having to quarantine for about a fortnight on return (and possibly being infected themselves) as infection rates are rising again in much of mainland Europe, and much quicker than the UK, especially the much-fabled 'utopia' of Spain!!

Therefore, the grass isn't always much greener on the other side!!

pulisa
23-08-20, 14:15
Don't worry about Corona because there's news today on the grapevine that an asteroid is on course to hit the earth on November 2nd thus removing all worries about CV/ the prospect of Christmas under Covid/living with a New effing Normal..

Has anyone told the Mavericks?

No need to stockpile now or buy longlife milk!:D

Of course the wind could change direction before November 2nd..

Lencoboy
23-08-20, 15:52
Don't worry about Corona because there's news today on the grapevine that an asteroid is on course to hit the earth on November 2nd thus removing all worries about CV/ the prospect of Christmas under Covid/living with a New effing Normal..

Has anyone told the Mavericks?

No need to stockpile now or buy longlife milk!:D

Of course the wind could change direction before November 2nd..

The umpteenth Doomsday scenario since time immemorial!!

Post WW2 we've had the Cuban Missile Crisis circa 1962-63, Able Archer in November 1983 (at the height of the Cold War), Chernobyl in April 1986 (which was ironically when the aforementioned Cold War was starting to peter out), the Hadron Collider in September 2008, the much touted and fabled 'end of the world' prediction in December 2012 and many more over the years, but guess what?

dorabella
23-08-20, 17:06
This has most certainly put me on edge since yesterday, those conflicting and contradictory stories (SAGE vs the WHO), coupled with those media outlets who, like you said are probably itching for a second wave and inadvertent second national lockdown, not only so they can keep regurgitating the same old headlines from the past 6 months or so, but also to proclaim the proverbial 'I told you so'!!One of the main factors I personally blame for the edging up of cases in this country over the past few weeks is people being allowed to travel abroad on their ritual foreign holidays once again and I personally feel that our govt acted too prematurely in relaxing said restrictions, and many are now having to pay the price for it by being saddled with the inconvenience of having to quarantine for about a fortnight on return (and possibly being infected themselves) as infection rates are rising again in much of mainland Europe, and much quicker than the UK, especially the much-fabled 'utopia' of Spain!!Therefore, the grass isn't always much greener on the other side!!Well we have to accept that people have a choice as to what they do and where they go (with or without the tacit approval of the government) BUT if they decide to take these ridiculous ritual 'I must take a holiday' trips to mainland Europe they should face the consequences. and quit moaning about them. Frankly I think that they should all be immediately quarantined at the ports and airports on return and not left to their own devices as to whether they self-isolate, since we all know that the majority of them won't. The same goes for all visitors from Europe to the UK. They have to be FORCED into it - no use pussy-footing around the issue and hoping that people will use common sense, be considerate and abide by what are after all completely un-enforceable guidelines.Can't say, having lived abroad ia various points over the years, that I ever thought the grass was greener anywhere else. Always glad to get back to my home turf of Blighty.

Lencoboy
23-08-20, 17:08
Last week on the Digital Spy forum, one of the posters mentioned that one of their former colleagues was intending to partake in an anti-mask protest in Central London this weekend, but not a dickie bird about any such protests on the BBC News website.

Likewise, not a dickie bird about the asteroid thing in November, that Pulisa mentioned above (unless she was only kidding).

Lencoboy
23-08-20, 17:18
Well we have to accept that people have a choice as to what they do and where they go (with or without the tacit approval of the government) BUT if they decide to take these ridiculous ritual 'I must take a holiday' trips to mainland Europe they should face the consequences. and quit moaning about them. Frankly I think that they should all be immediately quarantined at the ports and airports on return and not left to their own devices as to whether they self-isolate, since we all know that the majority of them won't. The same goes for all visitors from Europe to the UK. They have to be FORCED into it - no use pussy-footing around the issue and hoping that people will use common sense, be considerate and abide by what are after all completely un-enforceable guidelines.Can't say, having lived abroad ia various points over the years, that I ever thought the grass was greener anywhere else. Always glad to get back to my home turf of Blighty.

In a similar sense, I have really missed attending theatres and live music events since March, but I still won't be rushing back to them at the first opportunity, at least until the coast is more or less clear, or at the very very least that they are controlled environments, such as half the usual maximum audience capacity at any one time, with all the appropriate social distancing and other relevant arrangements in place.

Definitely won't be setting foot in airports, aeroplanes, ferries and foreign countries until at least the latter half of 2021 or beyond (if at all).

By then we'll probably be back to panicking about stuff like global terror threats once again, which have already made me more wary of travelling abroad since the mid-2000s.

Although I usually try not to name any names on here (especially in a critical sense) but I wonder what's happened to Phil06 of late, as he was really upset about not being able to go abroad on holiday back in around April-May, and was also concerned at the prospect of having to wear masks indoors.

pulisa
23-08-20, 17:54
He took offence at being challenged about not wearing a mask on an anxiety forum.

He lives in Scotland so let us hope he managed to get his many trips on Eurostar in sans mask and sans quarantine via the perilous trip down south on LNER trains...I'm sure Scotland won't be encouraging trips over the border into Covid-ridden England though..

Lencoboy
23-08-20, 18:13
He took offence at being challenged about not wearing a mask on an anxiety forum.

He lives in Scotland so let us hope he managed to get his many trips on Eurostar in sans mask and sans quarantine via the perilous trip down south on LNER trains...I'm sure Scotland won't be encouraging trips over the border into Covid-ridden England though..

Kind of ironic considering the R-rates for Scotland, NI and now even Wales are now once again in the 1+ range, whereas England as a whole is still only just touching 1.0. (no sneering intended).

But having said that, it has been speculated recently (even on the BBC News website) that the R-rates might not really tell us that much (or something along those lines).

pulisa
23-08-20, 19:38
Who came up with that gem?

fishman65
23-08-20, 19:49
Thank you for the support regarding my daughter and her party. She wasn't happy that Mrs F had told me, but today I've said nothing else about it because Mrs F says I'm like a Victorian father. Oh and today on setting off in the car, Mrs F asked me to pull over so she could talk to this lad she knows and his mate plus two attending GFs. While she was wearing a mask (none of them were) she certainly wasn't social distancing, heads right up close together etc.

So I was annoyed (seems like I'm annoyed a lot lately) and told her that the mask is as well as, not instead of, social distancing. I also added that she needs to educate herself, to which she told me not to lecture her. Its so frustrating when I have to protect myself and a wife who acts like a toddler. So I told her to just go and get infected then, I can't protect her from her own ignorance.

AntsyVee
23-08-20, 19:52
You're absolutely right, Fishman. You told her what you can, now the rest is up to her. You're her husband, not her baby-sitter.

pulisa
23-08-20, 19:58
I'm sure she's aware of the risks but has made her own mind up about how far she wants to take "keeping safe"? I take it she is not shielding at home any more? She'll get really angry if you police her all the time but equally she should take note of your anxiety and do her best to reach a compromise re putting herself at unnecessary risk?

Just how compromised is her immune system? Does she have to take steroids on a regular basis?

fishman65
23-08-20, 21:23
Thank you both, she has avoided taking steroids during this pandemic as she is aware that they work by suppressing the immune system. However, this of course has meant her crohns has been unrestrained so she has been restricting her diet, avoiding fibre etc. This is all good rationalising, an attempt to strike a balance which makes her behaviour in public all the more frustrating.

I have told her I'm trying to protect her, perhaps I do come across as lecturing but prevention is much better than cure. She is carrying weight alongside her medical conditions, contracting this virus would be serious. Crikey it could be for me too but I'm working hard on my weight, under 18st now and on a downward trajectory.

AntsyVee
23-08-20, 23:03
Yeah, but you can't make someone take care of themselves. They have to want to do it.

You should really read some articles or books on co-dependency. I think it would be very freeing for you.

MyNameIsTerry
24-08-20, 00:39
Well we have to accept that people have a choice as to what they do and where they go (with or without the tacit approval of the government) BUT if they decide to take these ridiculous ritual 'I must take a holiday' trips to mainland Europe they should face the consequences. and quit moaning about them. Frankly I think that they should all be immediately quarantined at the ports and airports on return and not left to their own devices as to whether they self-isolate, since we all know that the majority of them won't. The same goes for all visitors from Europe to the UK. They have to be FORCED into it - no use pussy-footing around the issue and hoping that people will use common sense, be considerate and abide by what are after all completely un-enforceable guidelines.Can't say, having lived abroad ia various points over the years, that I ever thought the grass was greener anywhere else. Always glad to get back to my home turf of Blighty.

Absolutely. If we could trust in society a lot of coppers would be redundant and jails closed.

Didn't I read there were problems with getting paid if you did the sensible thing after returning? Quite a motivator to go back to work. If the employer knows they went abroad they can send them home (I've worked at companies that would turn a blind eye for the sake of deadlines) but good luck enforcing that with know way to investigate it.

Lencoboy
24-08-20, 17:19
Just 853 UK cases and 4 deaths today.

Of course it's probably just a blip as the cases in particular still seem to keep flip-flopping up and down every other day on average, though the underlying trend now appears to be more or less stable, as the cases (as things currently stand) still aren't soaring exponentially like back in March and April.

The real tests will obviously be when schools return in a couple of weeks time, and when the weather starts to get colder.

Pamplemousse
24-08-20, 19:41
Spotted on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53892856

There's also this, but it pays to read the whole article.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53889823

Lencoboy
24-08-20, 23:01
Spotted on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53892856

There's also this, but it pays to read the whole article.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53889823

Re the latter. Before panic stations and mass hysteria starts amongst certain individuals on here, it's important to remember that so far it's just one case in several million worldwide.

Gary A
24-08-20, 23:50
Re the latter. Before panic stations and mass hysteria starts amongst certain individuals on here, it's important to remember that so far it's just one case in several million worldwide.

There also weren’t any symptoms present when positive a second time. This could very easily mean that the virus infected this person for a second time but was then fought off by T-cell immunity generated by the first infection.

Lencoboy
25-08-20, 09:53
There also weren’t any symptoms present when positive a second time. This could very easily mean that the virus infected this person for a second time but was then fought off by T-cell immunity generated by the first infection.

You're probably right there, Gary.

The WHO (according to the BBC article) did however, advise against jumping to conclusions at this stage, especially the serial doom-mongers who have probably already jumped on this.

Sadly, there have already been a few folks who have accused the WHO of being a corrupt organisation, including the current POTUS, and the many CTers throughout the world. The truth is, they (the WHO), since the start of this year, have been tasked with dealing with an extremely unprecedented global health emergency, and obviously the greatest challenge since the Second World War, so it's inevitable that certain mistakes were probably made, especially earlier on in the pandemic when everyone was having to learn about all things COVID-19 the hard way.

dorabella
25-08-20, 21:18
I saw an interview a couple of months back with a renowned Korean epidemiologist who said categorically (based on previous SARS1 research) that even after a person has recovered from the infection, they can continue shedding the virus for months afterwards. This shedding of dead virus particulates can show up as positive on testing, and it is well documented research. Kind of makes sense that the current strain is behaving in the same way

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-20, 22:20
My city has gone from well under the rate per 100k to well over for the last couple of weeks putting us at number 11 worst.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/stoke-trent-avoids-place-governments-4452466

As they say only 1 person over 65. There were already known cases in the post codes and then we get a community spread just after a religious festival. Lots of families getting together (those I saw were not applying masks nor distancing) and a local cricket field was packed with cars which I assume was an agree religious celebration. The hot spot area is the same area as this and has a large Asian population.

Perhaps a lesson learnt?

Good news it's now contained and that all are well. Since this was a yearly celebration locals can distance to starve it off.

fishman65
25-08-20, 23:27
Re the latter. Before panic stations and mass hysteria starts amongst certain individuals on here, it's important to remember that so far it's just one case in several million worldwide.Exactly Lencoboy, here's our good doctor cutting through the sensationalism with examination of facts not conjecture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJ5gw2cVkA

pulisa
26-08-20, 08:27
I hope that all these religious festivals- including Christmas- will be banned.I know there would be a huge uproar but are they worth it? Particularly for you, Terry with your parents to protect and consider? We live near Woking where there is a large Asian population and a significant rise in cases. The vulnerable always suffer because no one will speak out for fear of being branded a racist.

Gary A
26-08-20, 09:36
I hope that all these religious festivals- including Christmas- will be banned.I know there would be a huge uproar but are they worth it? Particularly for you, Terry with your parents to protect and consider? We live near Woking where there is a large Asian population and a significant rise in cases. The vulnerable always suffer because no one will speak out for fear of being branded a racist.

There’s been a few examples of religious gatherings and practices being changed due to this virus, I honestly don’t think it would be a problem to cancel religious festival gatherings depending on the scale of the problem at that time.

Lencoboy
26-08-20, 10:11

Christmas as a whole this year won't be banned/cancelled per se, as we can all still do the basics such as putting up our decorations and lights, and buying and sending each other presents as per usual.

It's more the typical festive events that involve gatherings of multiple persons that will be more tricky this year.

However, the BBC did mention briefly yesterday that the Oxford vaccine might be ready to go by the end of this year.

Lencoboy
26-08-20, 11:34
Exactly Lencoboy, here's our good doctor cutting through the sensationalism with examination of facts not conjecture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJ5gw2cVkA

Yes, some very interesting commentary from the main man there.

His previous vid (from Monday) about the lower death rates despite the rebound in cases in both the UK and mainland Europe since the start of July is equally as interesting.

That guy really deserves more recognition from the mainstream media, including Aunty Beeb.

Lencoboy
26-08-20, 13:04
Dr. John Campbell uploaded another video onto YouTube first thing this morning as part of an interview with a news channel called DW as two more cases of CV reinfection have now been discovered in mainland Europe, but still advising against jumping to conclusions and to maintain a sense of rational perspective at this stage.

Strangely, the UK media seem to have kept it low-key so far, and still not a dickie bird about it even on the BBC News website ATM.

ETA, Sky News have actually picked up on the two reinfection cases in Europe, and they also reported (in a separate article) on an insect repellent now being a possible aid towards fighting the virus.

Hopefully Dr. JC might get wind of the latter and do a vid about it in due course, especially if there is any real proof of its perceived effectiveness.

Lencoboy
26-08-20, 17:23
BTW, the article on the Sky News website about the two further reinfection cases in Europe earlier today mentioned that it was actually in June that one of the persons became reinfected with CV.

Strangely still nothing on the BBC News website about it though.

I guess many more things pertaining to the pandemic that we were previously unaware of will be coming out in the wash over the coming weeks/months, especially as yesterday it was revealed that the first person-to-person infection within our shores was actually a lady in Nottingham just days before the original first-known 'person-to-person' case in Surrey, though it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it is later revealed that the first actual infections here in the UK were earlier than 31st January.

fishman65
26-08-20, 18:30
I guess many more things pertaining to the pandemic that we were previously unaware of will be coming out in the wash over the coming weeks/months, especially as yesterday it was revealed that the first person-to-person infection within our shores was actually a lady in Nottingham just days before the original first-known 'person-to-person' case in Surrey, though it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it is later revealed that the first actual infections here in the UK were earlier than 31st January.I wouldn't be surprised either Lencoboy. While impossible to verify, I've heard anecdotal cases of a strange kind of flu as early as November 2019, two of them from a gardening forum I use. Both people I know are not given to flights of fancy and have little to gain by making it up.

dorabella
26-08-20, 20:35
I wouldn't be surprised either Lencoboy. While impossible to verify, I've heard anecdotal cases of a strange kind of flu as early as November 2019, two of them from a gardening forum I use. Both people I know are not given to flights of fancy and have little to gain by making it up.The virus was definitely in London as early as January. Lots of anecdotal evidence down here. I had a dose of what I thought was the annual -students-returning-to-campus lurgy in the first half of February - strange considering I hadn't caught it for at least 5 years - and it coincided with the return of a large population of Chinese students and others who had come back from winter breaks in Europe (judging by the 'tans'). It was an odd experience - barely two days of mild raised temperature with a sinus infection that quickly went downwards. What stood out for me was the fact that I suddenly lost both sense of smell and taste and it went on for nearly a week. My nose wasn't even bunged up at that point like it is with a usual winter bug. Coughing up crap for nearly three weeks - and you could hear the same cough everywhere.As you say though impossible to verify as there was no testing back then let alone admittance that the virus was already circulating.

MyNameIsTerry
27-08-20, 04:56

Pulisa, I was incredibly surprised by the response by politicians about the hot spots recently. Normally they do everything to avoid mentioning a minority. Local leaders here certainly avoided it over the current hot spot we have.

I don't think we should be having large gatherings for anything right now. It's great that it's not affecting more vulnerable people this time but I believe we can thank the response of our services in getting there fast before it just starts spreading again because of complacency.

Religious people had to cope with lockdown. They can cope with longer infringements on their worship. Besides if [insert deity here] is so vain they can't cope without traditional ceremonies during a crisis perhaps they can hang out with the youngsters at the illegal raves :winks:

pulisa
27-08-20, 07:51
We have all had to make sacrifices of some sort so I'm sure all deities will understand that it's not Business As Usual and Religion isn't a special case. I think it's time to speak out about all those contributing to the hot spots and that includes the minorities who maybe aren't minorities in certain areas of the country.

Pamplemousse
27-08-20, 12:10
Religious people had to cope with lockdown. They can cope with longer infringements on their worship. Besides if [insert deity here] is so vain they can't cope without traditional ceremonies during a crisis perhaps they can hang out with the youngsters at the illegal raves :winks:

I'm minded to point out Matthew 6:5 here.

Lencoboy
27-08-20, 18:36
Whilst today's case count (1,522) may be the highest since mid-June, it's been stated on the BBC News website that it's very likely attributed to today's testing numbers being the highest so far during the pandemic.

It's also important to remember that when the daily case count was at similar numbers midway through June, fewer people were still being tested on a daily basis, and even fewer back in late March when we again had similar daily case numbers, so all in all the number of actual daily infections back in both March and June, respectively, were likely to have been much higher at the time.
Obviously, it could still be the case now of course, but the idea that 'the more persons tested, the more cases are likely to be found' makes perfect sense to me.

Meanwhile, only 12 reported deaths today (albeit only 4 less than yesterday), but still in the very low double-digit figures, and despite single-digit daily figures being more commonplace over the past couple of weeks following the re-organisation of England's counting methods a fortnight ago yesterday.

Even more so-called 'professionals' now appear to be entertaining the idea that the virus might now be mutating into a far less deadly strain, in fact even a high-ranking specialist at one of the major hospitals within the West Midlands conurbation announced it in one of our regional papers today, hard on the heels of our mighty Dr John Campbell.

Lencoboy
27-08-20, 18:51
Whilst today's case count (1,522) may be the highest since mid-June, it's been stated on the BBC News website that it's very likely attributed to today's testing numbers being the highest so far during the pandemic.

It's also important to remember that when the daily case count was at similar numbers midway through June, fewer people were still being tested on a daily basis, and even fewer back in late March when we again had similar daily case numbers, so all in all the number of actual daily infections back in both March and June, respectively, were likely to have been much higher at the time.
Obviously, it could still be the case now of course, but the idea that 'the more persons tested, the more cases are likely to be found' makes perfect sense to me.

Meanwhile, only 12 reported deaths today (albeit only 4 less than yesterday), but still in the very low double-digit figures, and despite single-digit daily figures being more commonplace over the past couple of weeks following the re-organisation of England's counting methods a fortnight ago yesterday.

Even more so-called 'professionals' now appear to be entertaining the idea that the virus might now be mutating into a far less deadly strain, in fact even a high-ranking specialist at one of the major hospitals within the West Midlands conurbation announced it in one of our regional papers today, hard on the heels of our mighty Dr John Campbell.

Meanwhile, the BBC now appear to have gone completely quiet about the
recently-discovered reinfection cases, in which they mentioned the first confirmed reinfection case in Hong Kong on Tuesday, but seemed to keep schtum about the two further discovered reinfections in Europe yesterday, whilst they in turn were still covered by Sky News, along with the speculation about the possibility of insect repellent having CV-busting capabilities.

fishman65
27-08-20, 19:33
Lots of good info there Lencoboy. On a more localised level, I've been thinking about the lack of anecdotal covid in my own town. Its a small to medium sized rural town and am puzzled as to the seeming lack of cases among store staff. My own daughter is supervisor in our Spar, an ideal situation to hear the local gossip, not to mention bringing the virus home to us. Which hasn't happened, yet. There is a co-op and Asda too. But I've only heard of one staff member being off work due to covid and that was in QD. I know about this one because I spoke to her. Unless there has been more cases but asymptomatic. But with these people being in contact with the public so regularly, I would have expected more.

Pamplemousse
27-08-20, 19:37

As ever, I'm likely to say "I'll believe it when I see it" as to me the cases vs. deaths thing is being skewed by many cases now being in the younger age groups who statistically are more likely to survive it, whilst the more 'at risk' and cautious are being just that - cautious. Also HMG isn't filling up care homes with the diseased any more.

From the point of view of a virus, since its sole purpose is to reproduce it would be better for it not to kill its hosts because then it dies with it.

Pamplemousse
27-08-20, 19:42
Lots of good info there Lencoboy. On a more localised level, I've been thinking about the lack of anecdotal covid in my own town.

Where I live it's a feeder into a city with a number of cases but according to the stats there haven't been any cases here for ten weeks, at least. A mate of mine in Yorkshire says he learned of two people in their 80s dying in his village; both had "multiple pre-existing conditions", that phrase that's supposed to make it better but it doesn't alter the fact that the complete ineptitude of this Government - as ever, putting profits before people - probably hastened their deaths.

Gary A
27-08-20, 20:54
I still think the lower amounts of deaths are due to a mixture of younger healthier people contracting the virus and more positive diagnosis in asymptomatic cases.

In my opinion, asymptomatic detection is now down to routine testing in certain workplaces. Also, people being traced as close contacts, for the most part, aren’t going to wait to develop symptoms, they’re going to book a test aren’t they?

If you consider that at the absolute height of the pandemic in the UK, several thousand people per day were being diagnosed. These were ALL cases that were sick enough to be hospitalised or, at the very least, require medical intervention.

Now, the majority of cases diagnosed are either minor cases or completely asymptomatic, due to testing being carried out routinely in many settings. If this was being done from the get go, think how many more cases would have been diagnosed at the height of the pandemic.

fishman65
27-08-20, 21:35
I still think the lower amounts of deaths are due to a mixture of younger healthier people contracting the virus and more positive diagnosis in asymptomatic cases.

In my opinion, asymptomatic detection is now down to routine testing in certain workplaces. Also, people being traced as close contacts, for the most part, aren’t going to wait to develop symptoms, they’re going to book a test aren’t they?

If you consider that at the absolute height of the pandemic in the UK, several thousand people per day were being diagnosed. These were ALL cases that were sick enough to be hospitalised or, at the very least, require medical intervention.

Now, the majority of cases diagnosed are either minor cases or completely asymptomatic, due to testing being carried out routinely in many settings. If this was being done from the get go, think how many more cases would have been diagnosed at the height of the pandemic.That puts the current figures in a much better light Gary. Do you think there will be a 'second wave' if we can keep on top of these outbreaks?

Our Dr Campbell here returning to the subject of hydroxychloroquine and evidence that it is efficacious at the correct dose, but the medical big guns were using a dose that was too high. Very strange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzXHnUViro

Gary A
27-08-20, 23:07
That puts the current figures in a much better light Gary. Do you think there will be a 'second wave' if we can keep on top of these outbreaks?

I don’t, no. That is, I don’t feel that the cases will be at the same level that they were in late March and April, I feel that we’ve already seen good evidence of effective containment measures in places like Leicester and Aberdeen so that bodes well for keeping the infection rate down.

I do think that the cases will rise to around 1500-2000 per day as restrictions are further eased, but i think it will level off around that point until suitable vaccines and treatments are found. Unfortunately, this virus is just far too contagious to expect anything less unless we go for a full on lockdown again.

It’s not a “wave” as such, more a slow and steady burn. It’s not ideal but I think that’s just a reality we need to live with for at least another year.

MyNameIsTerry
28-08-20, 00:20
I'm minded to point out Matthew 6:5 here.

We think we are so advanced yet Matthew well understood virtue signalling. He just didn't need a fancy buzzword https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/religion/t0808.gif

MyNameIsTerry
28-08-20, 00:30

Now, the majority of cases diagnosed are either minor cases or completely asymptomatic, due to testing being carried out routinely in many settings. If this was being done from the get go, think how many more cases would have been diagnosed at the height of the pandemic.

More testing raising the figures is common sense and I think if the mortality rates were higher no one would be questioning it. But the question really is, as you say, if we had been testing this level back then would the mortality rates but tiny in comparison? My post code revealed an 11%+ mortality rate which is artificially high due to incorrect counting of deaths as covid related but also because only a small % of cases were being counted as infected.

Add to this how those less likely to be affected badly are likely returning closer to old practises as compared to at risk groups it makes sense it will rise with lockdown relaxation, level off, dip and be affected by spikes.

Lencoboy
28-08-20, 08:55
Some very interesting views from others on here, which kind of match with my own.

That high-ranking 'specialist', who did an article in one of our regional newspapers yesterday, is an intensive care specialist at one of the West Midlands' major hospitals, and was/is trying to explain to us that the current situation is NOT a 'second wave', and superficially appeared to be urging us not to jump to conclusions at the present stage about a so-called 'second wave' possibly having already started.

Of course, only time will tell as to how things pan out over the coming months, especially the death rates.

Gary A
28-08-20, 09:42
Some very interesting views from others on here, which kind of match with my own.

That high-ranking 'specialist', who did an article in one of our regional newspapers yesterday, is an intensive care specialist at one of the West Midlands' major hospitals, and was/is trying to explain to us that the current situation is NOT a 'second wave', and superficially appeared to be urging us not to jump to conclusions at the present stage about a so-called 'second wave' possibly having already started.

Of course, only time will tell as to how things pan out over the coming months, especially the death rates.

I don’t like the whole “second wave” thing as it implies that the virus is on some kind of hiatus but will return from its slumber eventually. Influenza viruses work that way, coronaviruses don’t.

Coronaviruses behave like cancers, not as serious or aggressive of course, but in the same way a cancer will grow uncontrollably without intervention, coronaviruses are the same. If we just let it do it’s thing it will engulf vast amounts of the population and it’ll do it very quickly.

This is why I can’t understand anyone protesting any control measures. The only reason this virus is in a kind of “slumber” is because we have intervened in its progress. The death counts are incredibly low, the infection rate is minimal, but that’s only because we acted.

The idea of a so called “second wave”, for me, does nothing more than fuel people’s hunger to act without caution. It puts the idea in our heads that we can breathe easy because, for now at least, the virus is gone.

Lencoboy
28-08-20, 10:44
I don’t like the whole “second wave” thing as it implies that the virus is on some kind of hiatus but will return from its slumber eventually. Influenza viruses work that way, coronaviruses don’t.

Coronaviruses behave like cancers, not as serious or aggressive of course, but in the same way a cancer will grow uncontrollably without intervention, coronaviruses are the same. If we just let it do it’s thing it will engulf vast amounts of the population and it’ll do it very quickly.

This is why I can’t understand anyone protesting any control measures. The only reason this virus is in a kind of “slumber” is because we have intervened in its progress. The death counts are incredibly low, the infection rate is minimal, but that’s only because we acted.

The idea of a so called “second wave”, for me, does nothing more than fuel people’s hunger to act without caution. It puts the idea in our heads that we can breathe easy because, for now at least, the virus is gone.

I personally believe that the term 'second wave' is perfect fodder for the serial know-it-alls and certain newspapers, and obviously makes for more exciting reading.

After all, bad and shocking news sells papers and/or generates clicks, even if it isn't completely gospel.

fishman65
28-08-20, 20:39
Mrs F and myself visited B&Ms and Tesco today. In hindsight I really wish we hadn't though I let myself be persuaded by my wife who was looking for new bedding material. Tesco in particular was very busy though very high compliance in mask wearing. So hopefully we haven't brought anything home with us other than what we purchased.

MyNameIsTerry
28-08-20, 22:21
Since the relaxation in lockdowns and the introduction of masks I've noticed most people no longer clean their hands despite facilities remaining near entrances. Social distancing isn't complied with as much either. I think masks have been seen as sufficient by many coupled with relaxation equalling it's really over and a problem somewhere else.

All that despite now appearing on the government watch list around here :doh:

fishman65
28-08-20, 22:48
Since the relaxation in lockdowns and the introduction of masks I've noticed most people no longer clean their hands despite facilities remaining near entrances. Social distancing isn't complied with as much either. I think masks have been seen as sufficient by many coupled with relaxation equally it's really over and a problem somewhere else.

All that despite now appearing on the government watch list around here :doh:Spot on Terry. As I try not to keep repeating to Mrs F, masks are in addition to social distancing, hand gel etc. They don't replace them. Though in fairness to her, all the one-way systems appear to have been scrapped along with a certain quota of customers in the stores at any one time. Both B&M and Tesco were free-for-alls. Our county has been on the watch list for quite some time.

AntsyVee
28-08-20, 22:57
My county is also having that issue. Now that we’re off the watch list, stores are jam packed sometimes, no quota system any more. Also the one-way signs are gone, not that people paid much attention to them anyway. :doh: If we all drive on the right side of the road here, how much harder is it to walk to the right in an aisle way? Apparently it’s rocket science.

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-20, 05:01
Yep, here the first relaxation meant some stores stopped staggering entering customers to thin the aisles out. The one way systems went too. It was as if the retail industry had been not care anymore.

I've always thought it was so badly coordinated anyway. Some shops were spot others, others less so. We shouldn't be leaving public health in the hands of corporate directors...they need an army of advisers & experts to tell them what to implement half the time. What an industry should do should be a directive from those who protect us.

Even the social distancing reminders over loudspeaker have gone. Has Covid gone?

Which brings me to challenging customers. Never seen it yet over masks. Some of the people I've seen without masks don't make me think hidden disability since they don't distance either. They are more likely a mixture of the usual clowns and deniers.

If you want compliance you have to enforce it.

And so up go the daily cases...

pulisa
29-08-20, 08:07
I can imagine that if a mask refuser were challenged they would proffer the "I'm anxious" card..Just adding to the belittling of anxiety disorders by non-sufferers.

I go to Waitrose and have shopped there many times a week since March. They are excellent and have been from the very beginning of all this. I'm really lucky to have a local store near me.

Pamplemousse
29-08-20, 11:25
Which brings me to challenging customers. Never seen it yet over masks. Some of the people I've seen without masks don't make me think hidden disability since they don't distance either. They are more likely a mixture of the usual clowns and deniers.

Of which there'll be plenty in Berlin today, as Germany and France are experiencing large increases in cases.

I've challenged a customer in a shop that seemed to think that just because she and her partner were pretty little things, they counted as "one customer" in a place where the limit was two. I didn't get a foul-mouthed tirade, but a pretty condescending one. Luckily, I gave as good as I got and it was her partner who backed down and left.

I have seen people wearing full face shields rather than masks - usually on elderly folk in Waitrose - but yesterday I was asked by someone at the petrol station if I could ask inside if he could come in as he'd forgotten his mask. The petrol station is one person at a time and they have a big perspex screen up. The petrol station cashier said she didn't mind. I could have got him one of my masks from out of my car (I keep a box in there), but seeing how they are getting ever more expensive for Type IIRs...

There's a one-way system in one of the local newsagents, and one in the chemists; which reminds me, I have a prescription to pick up!

Pamplemousse
29-08-20, 11:32
I can imagine that if a mask refuser were challenged they would proffer the "I'm anxious" card..Just adding to the belittling of anxiety disorders by non-sufferers.

I go to Waitrose and have shopped there many times a week since March. They are excellent and have been from the very beginning of all this. I'm really lucky to have a local store near me.

M&S have always been the "nearest to normal" shop round here; I've never seen a one-way system for example and I've seen maskless individuals in there too, unchallenged.

And you're right Pulisa, many refusers would offer the "I'm anxious" card thus making life difficult for those with genuine health issues; I saw a piece on the BBC website a few days ago where someone with genuine difficulties was getting harangued and resorted to a home-made badge. It's a bit like those who claim to be dyslexic/dyscalculiac online when the reality is they're just thick.

Pamplemousse
29-08-20, 13:18
Ah, we have our own fools.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeWillBeFree82/status/1299663085800652800

Pamplemousse
29-08-20, 13:46
And on Twitter, a plain speaking Aussie from Victoria:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jacquifelgate/status/1299212929116434432

pulisa
29-08-20, 18:06
M&S have always been the "nearest to normal" shop round here; I've never seen a one-way system for example and I've seen maskless individuals in there too, unchallenged.

And you're right Pulisa, many refusers would offer the "I'm anxious" card thus making life difficult for those with genuine health issues; I saw a piece on the BBC website a few days ago where someone with genuine difficulties was getting harangued and resorted to a home-made badge. It's a bit like those who claim to be dyslexic/dyscalculiac online when the reality is they're just thick.

Lol! So true but no one is allowed to be thick these days..There's always a "label/diagnosis"

Pamplemousse
29-08-20, 18:32
Lol! So true but no one is allowed to be thick these days..There's always a "label/diagnosis"

Indeed. I'm very fond of the band Half Man Half Biscuit, whose observations of life never fail to raise a smile: and in their song Surging Out Of Convalescence there is the line

"Is your child hyperactive, or is he perhaps a tw@?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5xYlkrThSE

AntsyVee
29-08-20, 18:41
LMAO, that is hilarious, PM! As a teacher, I very much appreciate it ;)

Pamplemousse
29-08-20, 23:06
LMAO, that is hilarious, PM! As a teacher, I very much appreciate it ;)
Vee, if you want to truly understand the English psyche, don't look to our idiot politicians and their flag-wrapped patriotism: instead, download a few HMHB albums, go to the HMHB Lyrics Project at https://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/albums/ and just enjoy what it means to be truly English. You may find some of it bewildering, but that's half the fun!

I mean, just enjoy this... (lyrics here (https://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/csi-ambleside/national-shite-day/))

https://youtu.be/-i0n2YbQ8RE

You may also note cross references to other songs and acts in their songs.

AntsyVee
30-08-20, 01:22
Lol PM, they remind me of our Dennis Leary

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 04:50
Ah, we have our own fools.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeWillBeFree82/status/1299663085800652800

I see David Icke and his disciples have defended on London.

https://yoursmiles.org/psmile/orator/p0903.gif
:wistupid:

A plague on their houses...erm, that won't work as they won't believe it in :huh:

Berlin is crazy. Merkel has her work cut out for her with such a large number of tools.

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 04:53

Diego! https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/kitten/t09034.gif

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 04:56

That's reminds me of when Robbie Williams tried to claim he had autism in an attempt to justify his past bad behaviour. Someone wrote under the article "no, you're just a bellend" :notworthy::roflmao:

Was that you, Pamplemousse? :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 05:00
Of which there'll be plenty in Berlin today, as Germany and France are experiencing large increases in cases.

I've challenged a customer in a shop that seemed to think that just because she and her partner were pretty little things, they counted as "one customer" in a place where the limit was two. I didn't get a foul-mouthed tirade, but a pretty condescending one. Luckily, I gave as good as I got and it was her partner who backed down and left.

I have seen people wearing full face shields rather than masks - usually on elderly folk in Waitrose - but yesterday I was asked by someone at the petrol station if I could ask inside if he could come in as he'd forgotten his mask. The petrol station is one person at a time and they have a big perspex screen up. The petrol station cashier said she didn't mind. I could have got him one of my masks from out of my car (I keep a box in there), but seeing how they are getting ever more expensive for Type IIRs...

There's a one-way system in one of the local newsagents, and one in the chemists; which reminds me, I have a prescription to pick up!

But if they had matching bunny jumpers do they count as two halves? :biggrin:

At least that guy asked so he's clearly not one of the idiots.

Yes, our chemist is still operating a 2 people in at a time policy with distancing. Dad had to return some old meds the other day and they made him empty the boxes into a bag.

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 05:02

Ooh get you, Waitrose, indeed :winks:

pulisa
30-08-20, 08:01
My one vice...It's served me well so far!:D

I like the idea of a National Shite Day..What day would everyone choose? A Mo(a)nday in January?

Lencoboy
30-08-20, 10:18
I was correct that it would only be a matter of time before a Berlin-type protest kicked off in London (and Paris).

Rumour also has it that XR also came back out of the woodwork this weekend, and I wonder if BLM have been in the mix too?

Someone on Digital Spy said that yesterday's Corona-deniers' protest in Central London is an embarrassment to this country. This current series of protests actually originated in Berlin and it's the typical bandwagon-jumpers who are out for their usual bust-up in Trafalgar Square for the umpteenth time.

It just seems that this country almost always seems to get it in the neck over many international issues by short-sighted individuals who seem to revel in believing that their origins were mostly in this country (e. g, the Global Financial Crisis) and all the other BS views they often have.

Allegedly that tool David Icke was involved in yesterday's London protest.

Strangely, the BBC News website only mentioned it very briefly yesterday in the live 'rolling' page, but devoted the bulk of its coverage to the original Berlin protest.

Pamplemousse
30-08-20, 12:30
Strangely, the BBC News website only mentioned it very briefly yesterday in the live 'rolling' page, but devoted the bulk of its coverage to the original Berlin protest.

Probably being responsible and not wishing to draw attention to an illegal event on its doorstep?

Pamplemousse
30-08-20, 12:44
That's reminds me of when Robbie Williams tried to claim he had autism in an attempt to justify his past bad behaviour. Someone wrote under the article "no, you're just a bellend" :notworthy::roflmao:

Was that you, Pamplemousse? :winks:

Nope, definitely not me.

I do try to be very careful and not judge people or have a dig at those with genuine disabilities, both mental and physical - but for the Grace of God, that could be me; but I really hate those who appropriate those disabilities - especially the unseen ones - to justify their own stupidity or shortcomings.

But if they had matching bunny jumpers do they count as two halves? :biggrin:

No, we're not talking Howard and Hilda* here but a couple of well-to-do Pretty Young Things with a massive sense of entitlement.

*The reader is left this reference as an exercise to work out which BBC sitcom I'm referring to.

Lencoboy
30-08-20, 12:44
Probably being responsible and not wishing to draw attention to an illegal event on its doorstep?

In which case I commend them.

Sometimes (IMO) it's probably a safer option to keep events like that lower key in both the national and international headlines. I also believe that the media had a lot to answer for over the August 2011 riots, which led to them rapidly spreading beyond London in just a matter of 2 days.

Same when a terrorist attack occurs in one place, over-publicity by the media (and even worse through extreme sensationalism) can aggravate the problems all the more and inadvertently provoke copycat incidents, which I reckon could have been the case when Europe in particular was hit by a severe bout of attacks from late 2015-mid 2017, including the 4 in England between March and September 2017.

Pamplemousse
30-08-20, 12:46

I really enjoyed that, Vee - will go listen to some more later :)

AntsyVee
30-08-20, 17:41
I really enjoyed that, Vee - will go listen to some more later :)

LOL good! I will point out that Dennis Leary got some of his material from the late Bill Hicks, so you might want to look him up. You'd like him as well.

Pamplemousse
30-08-20, 18:02
I wonder if you'd come across this, Vee?

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/08/25/anti-maskers-religious-exemption-cards-next-level-nonsense/

Anti-maskers are getting creative in their attempts to dress up selfishness as a stand against tyranny, as this ‘religious exemption card’ from The Healthy American website shows.
The $12 card claims to offer exemption “from wearing masks or cloth face coverings, having temperature taken, viral testing and vaccinations”, although the web page also contains this disclaimer:

Tyranny. TYRANNY?! Tyranny is being dragged out of your bed by the secret police in the dead of night for some contrived reason, being beaten up and being dumped somewhere to die. It is not, repeat NOT, being asked to wear an effing face covering!

Seriously Vee, you Americans need to get a grip and rein in these sh*theads.

pulisa
30-08-20, 19:33
It's like "austerity" over here..We have no concept of what true poverty is like these days.

Pamplemousse
30-08-20, 19:36
It's like "austerity" over here..We have no concept of what true poverty is like these days.
The existence of food banks makes me disbelieve that, Pulisa. Poverty can be said to be relative; it's nothing like say, parts of India.

The "austerity" we went through in 2010 was unnecessary and driven by dogma.

AntsyVee
30-08-20, 19:41
Poverty may be relative for us in first world countries, but the effects of that social stratification, the lenses through which people who grew up in "poverty" here see the world, is no less damaging, I think.

Lencoboy
30-08-20, 20:13

I completely agree.

Poverty is one of those words/terms whose true meaning has been blatantly devalued over the years by reckless overuse of the word, just like the word 'crisis', which seems to get shoehorned into even the most miniscule of inconveniences and bugbears these days, that has in itself mutated into just another overused media 'buzzword' over the past 30-odd years or so.

Although I don't in any way wish to trivialise the concept of poverty and hardship in general, as it can certainly be beyond nasty for those on the receiving end, especially through no actual fault of their own, but by the same token, many people often fail to distinguish between 'absolute' and 'relative' poverty.

And I'm prepared to be shot down in flames for saying this.

fishman65
30-08-20, 20:20
I need a good telling off. Today there had been an arrangement to meet in my Dad's garden. Myself, Mrs F, Dad, sister and BIL. Myself and Mrs F were a bit late and they had gone inside, on account of the neighbour using a disc cutter. At which point I should have said either we sit outside or we go home. But I sat inside. While my sister and BIL don't really go anywhere, there is still no excuse in thinking 'oh we'll be ok' because we just don't know that. And with autumn/winter on our doorstep, what will happen the next time she comes up?

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 22:22

Agreed. Go back some generations to the time of the poor house. You didn't ask the council, charities and food banks for help. You died in the gutter.

We see things through the prism of our current society. Some in society are certainly in poverty struggling to find food but they often aren't those being thought of when it is discussed since being below the poverty line is still better.

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-20, 22:32
I need a good telling off. Today there had been an arrangement to meet in my Dad's garden. Myself, Mrs F, Dad, sister and BIL. Myself and Mrs F were a bit late and they had gone inside, on account of the neighbour using a disc cutter. At which point I should have said either we sit outside or we go home. But I sat inside. While my sister and BIL don't really go anywhere, there is still no excuse in thinking 'oh we'll be ok' because we just don't know that. And with autumn/winter on our doorstep, what will happen the next time she comes up?

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. If you all practice safety and aren't likely to be in jobs where you meet lots of people then isn't your exposure risk low.

My brother came down from Yorkshire a few weeks ago. My dad had the same concerns because mum has been ill since before the lockdown started and in an at risk group since she has COPD, asthma, blood pressure meds, etc. We looked at the infection rates in both of our locations and because they are much lower than most we decided to let him come. We just kept our distance on the day and he would wear a mask at least if dad was unhappy. He works in a warehouse so we were concerned about that since distancing isn't possible all the time. Everything has been fine and mum enjoyed seeing him for the first time since this all happened. No hugging or kisses but he really wanted to see her because she is Ill.

MyNameIsTerry
31-08-20, 04:53

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2020/08/25/anti-maskers-religious-exemption-cards-next-level-nonsense/

Tyranny. TYRANNY?! Tyranny is being dragged out of your bed by the secret police in the dead of night for some contrived reason, being beaten up and being dumped somewhere to die. It is not, repeat NOT, being asked to wear an effing face covering!

Has John Major been seen bleating about tyranny yet? :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
31-08-20, 04:55
I was correct that it would only be a matter of time before a Berlin-type protest kicked off in London (and Paris).

Rumour also has it that XR also came back out of the woodwork this weekend, and I wonder if BLM have been in the mix too?

Someone on Digital Spy said that yesterday's Corona-deniers' protest in Central London is an embarrassment to this country. This current series of protests actually originated in Berlin and it's the typical bandwagon-jumpers who are out for their usual bust-up in Trafalgar Square for the umpteenth time.

It just seems that this country almost always seems to get it in the neck over many international issues by short-sighted individuals who seem to revel in believing that their origins were mostly in this country (e. g, the Global Financial Crisis) and all the other BS views they often have.

Allegedly that tool David Icke was involved in yesterday's London protest.

Yeah, Icke can be seen on one of the links Pamplemousse posted earlier. Lower down on the feed.

Probably blathering on about being censored. I wonder if anyone from NMP had a day trip? :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
31-08-20, 04:57
My one vice...It's served me well so far!:D

I like the idea of a National Shite Day..What day would everyone choose? A Mo(a)nday in January?

Can we please confirm if this day requires some form of mediprep type formula (and toilet roll should be placed on standby in the fridge).

Got to be an add on bank holiday for the first day of work after crimbo.

AntsyVee
31-08-20, 07:37

LOL PM if I could convince the $hithead Americans of anything, Trump wouldn’t be in office. Don’t worry, when I take over, I’ll show them what tyranny is ;)

pulisa
31-08-20, 08:10
I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. If you all practice safety and aren't likely to be in jobs where you meet lots of people then isn't your exposure risk low.

My brother came down from Yorkshire a few weeks ago. My dad had the same concerns because mum has been ill since before the lockdown started and in an at risk group since she has COPD, asthma, blood pressure meds, etc. We looked at the infection rates in both of our locations and because they are much lower than most we decided to let him come. We just kept our distance on the day and he would wear a mask at least if dad was unhappy. He works in a warehouse so we were concerned about that since distancing isn't possible all the time. Everything has been fine and mum enjoyed seeing him for the first time since this all happened. No hugging or kisses but he really wanted to see her because she is Ill.

I'm glad your brother was able to visit safely, Terry. I'm sure your Mum was really happy to see him and I hope it gave her a boost. You as a family must be going through so much as it is adjusting to the demands of your Mum's illness so seeing your brother must have been therapeutic for you all.

You don't know whether you will be "ok" following the visit, Fishman but chances are that you will both be fine and Mrs F wouldn't have been happy if you'd taken her home instead of going into the house. I know you want to protect her but would she be happy to be shut away now that shielding is over? The tricky thing is getting the balance right when you don't know if the scales are reliable..

fishman65
31-08-20, 15:25
I'm glad your brother was able to visit safely, Terry. I'm sure your Mum was really happy to see him and I hope it gave her a boost. You as a family must be going through so much as it is adjusting to the demands of your Mum's illness so seeing your brother must have been therapeutic for you all.

You don't know whether you will be "ok" following the visit, Fishman but chances are that you will both be fine and Mrs F wouldn't have been happy if you'd taken her home instead of going into the house. I know you want to protect her but would she be happy to be shut away now that shielding is over? The tricky thing is getting the balance right when you don't know if the scales are reliable..Very true Pulisa, these scales here are digital and can vary by as much as 2lbs in one standing. Seriously though, I was judging myself on my own standards and after being critical of my daughter I felt those standards were 'double' so to speak.

OK still on Covid. I've not seen anywhere on the threads where a 'dormant virus' theory has been discussed i.e that Covid has been released or 'activated' by global warming? Any thoughts?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/05/covid-19-may-not-have-originated-china-elsewhere-emerged-asia/
https://www.livescience.com/43800-giant-virus-found-permafrost.html

pulisa
31-08-20, 17:45
Didn't think it would be too long before covid and climate change were linked..

It'll be Brexit next.

Lencoboy
31-08-20, 20:06

It'll be Brexit next.

Probably.

Nearly everyone seems to be trying to link almost everything these days.

Someone posted on one of the Digital Spy threads today that the Labour party are now being shamed over Piers Corbyn, brother of the already cursed former Labour leader, being one of the 'masterminds' over Saturday's London protest (the other one being that odious toerag David Icke) which is totally beyond ludicrous, as far as I am concerned.

Firstly, Piers has nothing whatsoever to do with the Labour party (or politics in general AFAIK), and just happens to be the sibling of said party's former leader, whose tenure concluded back in April, and both Jeremy and Piers were allegedly estranged from each other over the latter's extremist views.

Secondly, people still seem to keep harping on about Jeremy Corbyn and his alleged failings, despite Keir Starmer having replaced him as Labour leader since April, and his (Keir's) alleged attempts to wipe the slate clean of all the supposed anti-Semitism scandals within the party, (which must surely also exist within the Tory party, which hardly anyone seems to give a monkeys about).

It was also in the news yesterday that both Boris and Keir are now pretty much 'even Stephens' in the national opinion polls for the very first time since last December's GE.

Sorry for straying off-topic and into politics once again!!

fishman65
31-08-20, 21:43

It'll be Brexit next.While I can appreciate some may have a political motive for linking Covid and climate change, isn't there a case here for a purely scientific argument?

Gary A
31-08-20, 22:21
While I can appreciate some may have a political motive for linking Covid and climate change, isn't there a case here for a purely scientific argument?

I can’t access the whole article for some reason, but my first reaction would be to say that correlation doesn’t prove causation. It would seem, to me at least, a bit of a stretch to have this virus just magically switch on during a relatively short period of time then link that to man made global warming.

I would also have to question why so many other coronaviruses, much of them sharing very similar gene sequences to SARS-COV 2, have been around for as long as we’ve had the technology to detect them, and probably long before that. Do we attest those to whichever climate conditions existed at the time?

It would also go against how this virus seems to operate. Warmer weather isn’t it’s friend, UV light even less so, so one would have to wonder why it would decide to rear it’s head when the planet is actually warmer than any time in recent history.

MyNameIsTerry
31-08-20, 23:09

It'll be Brexit next.

It might cheer up the coach making companies, they might get to sell another slogan bus :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
31-08-20, 23:16

Thanks, pulisa. She was quiet at first because she is struggling with any visitors but perked up later. Afterwards she said it was nice to see him which we were glad to hear as we feared she might retreat. He's coming again this weekend. We've got a 6 street outbreak within walking distance and now another one emerging (other end of the city though) so we just have to remain vigilant.

We do speak to him via phone a fait bit more than normal and make sure mum speaks to him even if she doesn't want too. It all helps. But it's not the same as in person and she needs support right now. As expected, the NHS are woeful...:winks: (the district nurses are excellent but they aren't coming her for that reason although a couple of them have started chasing our GP over it to help out) as covid has created more queues so has become an excuse (can't see you because of the virus which is BS, it's to stop bigger numbers on the waiting lists...why not just create another one, the favourite of governments :whistles:).

pulisa
01-09-20, 08:22
Covid has been a great excuse for GPs to disappear behind their phones and to diagnose and prescribe haphazardly. I think it's a question of people being very much on their own when trying to support vulnerable family members. I'm used to this but it's a hell of a lot more difficult to take with the covid get out clause going on at the same time..It's frustrating and time consuming trying to chase up services and it's depressing too..Take care of yourself, Terry. I'm sure you are wonderfully supportive to both your mum and dad but it's mentally exhausting and you only get platitudes from so-called support services. I'm glad your brother is able to talk to your mum on the phone and hopefully he will be able to visit more frequently if he can do so safely? Support from other family members is always a good thing if you can have it.

fishman65
01-09-20, 20:08
Dr Campbell on how masks play a major role in affecting viral load. There is a link between low viral loads and asymptomatic cases. He was adamant that this video needs to be shared so here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANEqOPcDwc

Lencoboy
01-09-20, 22:38
Dr Campbell on how masks play a major role in affecting viral load. There is a link between low viral loads and asymptomatic cases. He was adamant that this video needs to be shared so here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANEqOPcDwc

Brilliant.

A very likely explanation for the lower CV death rates of late, and possibly a less lethal strain of the virus entering circulation, though still early to really tell properly yet of course.

Could very well be one of the factors behind Scotland's lack of CV deaths since June, as they were first in with the mandatory mask wearing in public places in the UK, with England following suit from 24th July.

Mind you, it does seem that the CV death rates are now generally declining in most other countries around the world, which seems promising.

Lencoboy
02-09-20, 18:11
Take a look at Dr John Campbell's latest vid on YouTube that he uploaded today.

(No spoilers here).

Gary A
02-09-20, 21:10
Take a look at Dr John Campbell's latest vid on YouTube that he uploaded today.

(No spoilers here).

I’m hoping that the first effective and safe vaccine is a more traditional viral vector type rather than an mRNA type. I trust science but I’m having a hard time agreeing with the notion of vaccinating the world with a brand new technology that has had very little in the way of time to show its safety and efficacy.

Viral vector types have the same challenges, of course, but at least the technology is understood through years of study and analysis. My hope is that the Oxford vaccine is effective enough to take the sting out of this pandemic and allow more study of mRNA vaccine technology before its rolled out.

fishman65
02-09-20, 22:17
It looks like the Oxford vaccine is traditional but the US Moderna and US/German ones are mRNA.

Lencoboy
04-09-20, 17:16
Sadly today's cases are back at the level of late May (1,940), but the deaths still remain low/stable (10).

There doesn't appear to be any real explanations for the possible reasons behind the jump over the past week or two, one of which I reckon, could be to do with people having returned from foreign holidays, coupled with more testing generally taking place, but no news outlet has mentioned the former yet.

A couple to a few weeks back, many of the cases appeared to be traced to places like factories, farms, etc, but barely any mention of that ATM.

As for schools and the like returning, it's probably still too early to tell, but of course, only time will tell with that one.

It does make me wonder how long it will be before Boris and Co have no other option but to force a second full-on national lockdown, even though he has repeatedly stated otherwise?

It does seem to me as though the authorities have now just given up.

Gary A
04-09-20, 17:49
Sadly today's cases are back at the level of late May (1,940), but the deaths still remain low/stable (10).

There doesn't appear to be any real explanations for the possible reasons behind the jump over the past week or two, one of which I reckon, could be to do with people having returned from foreign holidays, coupled with more testing generally taking place, but no news outlet has mentioned the former yet.

A couple to a few weeks back, many of the cases appeared to be traced to places like factories, farms, etc, but barely any mention of that ATM.

As for schools and the like returning, it's probably still too early to tell, but of course, only time will tell with that one.

It does make me wonder how long it will be before Boris and Co have no other option but to force a second full-on national lockdown, even though he has repeatedly stated otherwise?

It does seem to me as though the authorities have now just given up.

We simply can’t afford to go into another full on lockdown. If the cases rise uncontrollably then they need to start with shielding measures for the more vulnerable and prepping the NHS for higher than usual numbers.

We need to live with this as best we can until vaccines are administered. We can’t just keep shutting down the country every few months, it simply isn’t feasible.

Lencoboy
04-09-20, 18:44
We simply can’t afford to go into another full on lockdown. If the cases rise uncontrollably then they need to start with shielding measures for the more vulnerable and prepping the NHS for higher than usual numbers.

We need to live with this as best we can until vaccines are administered. We can’t just keep shutting down the country every few months, it simply isn’t feasible.

I am most certainly not itching for a second national lockdown, it would be one of my worst nightmares in fact, and of course, a sign that the govt had simply given up the ghost, if it were to happen.

Hopefully we're now beyond all of that as it appears that a lot more is known about CV right now compared to earlier in the year, and so far the overall CV death rates in the UK have remained low (and stable) over the past month or so.

Surely we've had higher daily CV deaths with lesser cases than present.

Pamplemousse
04-09-20, 18:51
The CV death rates are still fiddled IMO - many people with it take longer than 28 days to die of it.

Lencoboy
04-09-20, 19:06
The CV death rates are still fiddled IMO - many people with it take longer than 28 days to die of it.

Sadly, I don't think that they'll ever be 100 per cent accurate though, whatever counting measure is employed.

Nevertheless, the daily deaths count under the old English system prior to 12 August already seemed to be on a general downward trend, so not quite sure as to whether they are actually fiddled per se, but that's your opinion and prerogative of course.

Pamplemousse
04-09-20, 20:24
Sadly, I don't think that they'll ever be 100 per cent accurate though, whatever counting measure is employed.

Nevertheless, the daily deaths count under the old English system prior to 12 August already seemed to be on a general downward trend, so not quite sure as to whether they are actually fiddled per se, but that's your opinion and prerogative of course.

What's recently bugged me is that a friend of the family passed away at the ripe old age of 94 in a nursing home. Despite having never been tested, or showing symptoms at the time of death, he has "Covid-19" on his death certificate.

HOW?

fishman65
04-09-20, 20:49
Something Dr Campbell mentioned about the case/hospitalisation/death disparities we are seeing is not just age demographics but mask wearing too. The masks reducing the viral load inhaled and thus the immune system having fewer replications to deal with from the off.

Lencoboy
05-09-20, 08:33
Something Dr Campbell mentioned about the case/hospitalisation/death disparities we are seeing is not just age demographics but mask wearing too. The masks reducing the viral load inhaled and thus the immune system having fewer replications to deal with from the off.

Yes, I watched that vid the other day which is very interesting, but of course the press probably won't acknowledge it as given they're (for the most part) in pursuit of £s/clicks, the most morbid and the usual 'armageddon'-type stories, coupled with all this fabled 'second wave' stuff, obviously makes for the most exciting reading, especially amongst the more gullible and lowest common denominators within our society.

In fact, I wish even Aunty Beeb would pick up on some of Dr Campbell's excellent commentary, which they sadly don't appear to have done yet.

Dr Campbell did appear to be implying in his latest vid from yesterday evening that the cases earlier in the year (accompanied by very high death rate) were just the tip of the iceberg, in particular due to the woeful lack of general community testing with only the the very sick and already-hospitalised persons being tested, so it does now appear, with the benefit of hindsight, that the virus was a lot more severe and more widespread than we actually thought during the first three months of this year in this country alone, whilst sadly the powers that be were seemingly caught napping over it at the time.

If only we knew back then what we know now, even though there's still more work to be done!!

Pamplemousse
05-09-20, 09:22
In fact, I wish even Aunty Beeb would pick up on some of Dr Campbell's excellent commentary, which they sadly don't appear to have done yet.

One word: 'balance'. If they promoted Dr. Campbell's views, you can guarantee people would expect someone of an opposing view to be given an equal airing. See also: a respected climate scientist and... Nigel Lawson, which got the BBC into hot water.

Meanwhile, a couple of links from the BBC website this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54000629

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54036221

Lencoboy
05-09-20, 12:26
One word: 'balance'. If they promoted Dr. Campbell's views, you can guarantee people would expect someone of an opposing view to be given an equal airing. See also: a respected climate scientist and... Nigel Lawson, which got the BBC into hot water.

Meanwhile, a couple of links from the BBC website this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54000629

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54036221

Some very interesting revelations there.

Perhaps in the case if the former, some of the daily confirmed cases might be artificially inflated. There has also been suggestions of latent confirmed cases on some days, dating from several days, weeks or even months ago, being added to daily case stats, that can also artificially inflate them, as I have already mentioned before on here.

Also, the system is now becoming increasingly aware of 'asymptomatic' cases, which could also be another plausible reason for the current increase in cases, along with the greater community testing in general, inadvertently detecting such cases, and still, the more severe ones of course.

dorabella
05-09-20, 20:44
There ere appear to be quite a few 'alternative' opinions that the BBC reporters and MSM don't or wont listen to if these don't fir their pandemic scenarios - Dr Campbell being one of them, others such as Sunetra Gupta, Carl Heneghan et al of the Oxford research group, Karl Friston and the Swedish contingent......I found the current 'revelation' that the tests are in some cases so sensitive that they can test positive having detected traces of dead viral particles in people who have had the virus (often without being aware of it) weeks ago - hence the over-counting of cases and myths that you can catch it twice over - the Korean epidemiologists were advising on this back in April ... but no-one took any heed.

Lencoboy
06-09-20, 10:19
There ere appear to be quite a few 'alternative' opinions that the BBC reporters and MSM don't or wont listen to if these don't fir their pandemic scenarios - Dr Campbell being one of them, others such as Sunetra Gupta, Carl Heneghan et al of the Oxford research group, Karl Friston and the Swedish contingent......I found the current 'revelation' that the tests are in some cases so sensitive that they can test positive having detected traces of dead viral particles in people who have had the virus (often without being aware of it) weeks ago - hence the over-counting of cases and myths that you can catch it twice over - the Korean epidemiologists were advising on this back in April ... but no-one took any heed.

Likewise, the media now appear to have gone quiet over the alleged cases of CV reinfection which were big news the other week.

Of course, only time will tell if the deaths are likely to start rising significantly again, but so far so good.

Most people, however, seem to agree that we have generally got better at managing the situation likely owing to the lower death rates of late, despite the overall number of cases steadily increasing again over the past two months.

fishman65
06-09-20, 23:37
Get a load of this. Vitamin D trial in Spain and our good doctor very excited by the results. I am too, I take 1000 units a day but like he has been saying since about February, why has it been largely ignored?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ks9fUh2k8&t=6s

Lencoboy
07-09-20, 07:44
Get a load of this. Vitamin D trial in Spain and our good doctor very excited by the results. I am too, I take 1000 units a day but like he has been saying since about February, why has it been largely ignored?

Because a lot of people are only interested in problems, not solutions.

Same with a lot of other issues in life.

Lencoboy
07-09-20, 14:16
After yesterday's shock rise in cases (almost 3k), I can't help wondering if a second national lockdown might be on the horizon, even though there's been no talk of it so far.

I still can't decide as to whether it would be necessary or if it would be a waste of time.

Having said that, France are currently having it much worse than us and surely someone in their govt admitted earlier today that they (France) currently have no plans to reimpose a full-on national lockdown, despite their cases still being significantly higher than ours ATM.

Ditto for Spain.

Meanwhile, today's cases in Scotland (146) are a bit lower than yesterday's (208), and Wales are 133 today (can't remember yesterday's case count for Wales).

Zero deaths in both Scotland and Wales today.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-20, 00:08

I saw that one on my news feed not long ago. Can't remember which it came from.

They also need to be careful with vitamin D since we can all start mega dosing it tomorrow out of coronapanic since it's everywhere but without vitamin K balance we just increase our risks of greater health problems due to the build up of calcified deposits. The balancing is harder to obtain information about.

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-20, 00:12
Brilliant.

A very likely explanation for the lower CV death rates of late, and possibly a less lethal strain of the virus entering circulation, though still early to really tell properly yet of course.

Could very well be one of the factors behind Scotland's lack of CV deaths since June, as they were first in with the mandatory mask wearing in public places in the UK, with England following suit from 24th July.

Mind you, it does seem that the CV death rates are now generally declining in most other countries around the world, which seems promising.

It's obvious the distance between cases, hospitalisations and mortalities comes from more testing, testing prior to symptoms through tracing, better hospital management, etc. We now have rates closer to the 2% we were told would be the case.

Now we are seeing sharp increases we need to see if that translates into greater levels of worse cases and deaths. Hopefully not.

Is it about demographics or just testing now as we should have been from the start?

MyNameIsTerry
08-09-20, 00:16
After yesterday's shock rise in cases (almost 3k), I can't help wondering if a second national lockdown might be on the horizon, even though there's been no talk of it so far.

I still can't decide as to whether it would be necessary or if it would be a waste of time.

Having said that, France are currently having it much worse than us and surely someone in their govt admitted earlier today that they (France) currently have no plans to reimpose a full-on national lockdown, despite their cases still being significantly higher than ours ATM.

Ditto for Spain.

Meanwhile, today's cases in Scotland (146) are a bit lower than yesterday's (208), and Wales are 133 today (can't remember yesterday's case count for Wales).

Zero deaths in both Scotland and Wales today.

If deaths greatly increase then maybe it's a possibility. If they don't why would we lock down? The resulting recession could kill more later through the hits on services.

The sharp increase the last two days isn't good news. The BBC rolling average has now turned from a bit blippy to an unfavourable upward trend.

But I think we need to raise the profile of this virus. It's now a background issue in society. Where are all the warnings? And I wonder about the impact from pubs re-opening as social distancing is often not possible and then your average drunk doesn't care anyway about much. We had another hotspot pop up last week due to a bingo night at a working men's club that resulted in test & trace across about 10 more pubs in the area.

Lencoboy
08-09-20, 15:30
I know this is more Midlands-centric but I just looked at the Staffordshire County Council website which states that the town of Burton on Trent has been significantly affected by a CV outbreak since July, but (for better or worse) not a dickie bird about it on the BBC News website so far, nor any suggestions as to whether or not it might be added to the national watchlist of hotspots. I don't live in Burton but I don't live a million miles away from there and there is a centre there that I visit every Thursday, so there seems to be something rather odd going on behind the scenes if Burton does happen to be a hotspot, in the sense that so far it's been kept low-key where as the bulk of the media attention is currently being afforded to Bolton and Caerphilly, which are the latest hotspots to be locked down.

Mind you, even the leafy cathedral city of Lichfield in the south of the county has hardly escaped unscathed from CV, and barely any media attention on that area either. Plenty of media attention has been given to Stoke on Trent, though (as you know, Terry).

There was allegedly a pub in my town affected by CV a couple of weeks back, which again, not a dickie bird in the national headlines, most baffling as it probably would have been big news had it happened a month or two ago, though of course, I have hated to see my town being named and shamed in the national media.

Thankfully, apart from the aforementioned pub thing, my town in general doesn't appear to be seriously affected ATM.

Pamplemousse
09-09-20, 00:27
So... gatherings over six in private homes, bars and cafes are to be illegal in England from Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131

Not tomorrow: Monday.

I mean, this couldn't have anything to do with Harding and Handcock's links to horse racing and the St. Leger festival being held tomorrow and Saturday, now could it?

Someone ought to tell my bloody neighbour and her constantly-visiting brood too.

AntsyVee
09-09-20, 00:30
Wow, what coincidence y’all got going on there, PM! It’s like the mayor in the movie Jaws

MyNameIsTerry
09-09-20, 00:52
Wow, what coincidence y’all got going on there, PM! It’s like the mayor in the movie Jaws

It's because in our rules we have something about it being 6 but extendable up to 30. Now they are bringing it all down to 6 as the police have raised concerns about overly complicated rules they struggle to enforce. But our numbers are spiking and if that becomes a trend then back into lockdowns we will be going...

They could bring it in tomorrow but perhaps that might be hard to explain why you are being fined for something you haven't been updated on yet? (remembering it's only people on here that stay glued to the health news :winks:). They did the same with other changes because it takes time for businesses to implement them and brief their staff.

If they brought it in tomorrow you can bet a certain end of the political spectrum would be complaining they didn't give them enough time. Did that happen when they changed the quarantine rules with France giving everyone 48hrs to get home :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
09-09-20, 04:56
I know this is more Midlands-centric but I just looked at the Staffordshire County Council website which states that the town of Burton on Trent has been significantly affected by a CV outbreak since July, but (for better or worse) not a dickie bird about it on the BBC News website so far, nor any suggestions as to whether or not it might be added to the national watchlist of hotspots. I don't live in Burton but I don't live a million miles away from there and there is a centre there that I visit every Thursday, so there seems to be something rather odd going on behind the scenes if Burton does happen to be a hotspot, in the sense that so far it's been kept low-key where as the bulk of the media attention is currently being afforded to Bolton and Caerphilly, which are the latest hotspots to be locked down.

Mind you, even the leafy cathedral city of Lichfield in the south of the county has hardly escaped unscathed from CV, and barely any media attention on that area either. Plenty of media attention has been given to Stoke on Trent, though (as you know, Terry).

There was allegedly a pub in my town affected by CV a couple of weeks back, which again, not a dickie bird in the national headlines, most baffling as it probably would have been big news had it happened a month or two ago, though of course, I have hated to see my town being named and shamed in the national media.

Thankfully, apart from the aforementioned pub thing, my town in general doesn't appear to be seriously affected ATM.

No, I've not heard anything either. I'm not far from Burton. A quick run down the A50 from here.

I wonder whether it has been on the council website before now? Maybe it has been added recently because there is a link to another page detailing the council's response? Limiting the numbers in pubs is a smart move.

But I'm also within a short walk of a local hotspot too. We are still waiting for the numbers yo come down but last I read the NHS boss was saying things weren't great...

I've heard nothing about Lichfield either. I get plenty of updates via Upday. Like you say if the nationals don't run with it now do we hear? To be honest I rarely read the local chip paper.

Edit: using the BBC post code search shows East Midlands are up 15 cases on last week with 28 per 100k with 34 current cases. They aren't on the government watch list though. That's 3 per 100k more than my city who are.

Reading Fergus Walsh's views (BBC) on why deaths sent rising is interesting. Mostly because it's obvious all through he is trying to downplay it and one of his quoted experts even contradicts his narrative that it's all over (but since said ecpert is promoting the Swedish model he must be hoping we dont notice). That attitude is causing rises. We can dream of Swedish society all we wish but look at the rises trends and think of the idiots, many we see, who thinks it's all done. Maybe 2-3 in 10 I see entering shops when I'm there cleanse their hands anymore and shops long ago stopped wiping down trolleys. [Insert Homer Simpson Doh here]

Phill2
09-09-20, 05:32
Aussie news is saying you guys are in for a second wave.
Prolly just more sensationalism.

MyNameIsTerry
09-09-20, 06:08

You know what the media are like these days, Phill. More interested in creating than reporting news.

If the hospitalisations and deaths rocketed a lockdown is likely. No way are they going to do it and risk a recession. We're heading for a No Deal Brexit so two economic hits are to be avoided.

Like Gary keeps saying it's still the first wave ebbing & flowing because we are being a bunch of arses about it :winks:

Pamplemousse
09-09-20, 09:08
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54082192

Phill2
09-09-20, 10:33

Yep that's been all over the news here today

Lencoboy
09-09-20, 10:36

It does state that person's issues might have occurred by chance, so it's probably best for us all not to jump to conclusions at this stage.

(I don't necessarily mean you personally, PM).

Lencoboy
09-09-20, 10:39

Wrong, our first wave is still far from over.

Definitely sensationalism.

Lencoboy
09-09-20, 10:53
No, I've not heard anything either. I'm not far from Burton. A quick run down the A50 from here.

I wonder whether it has been on the council website before now? Maybe it has been added recently because there is a link to another page detailing the council's response? Limiting the numbers in pubs is a smart move.

But I'm also within a short walk of a local hotspot too. We are still waiting for the numbers yo come down but last I read the NHS boss was saying things weren't great...

I've heard nothing about Lichfield either. I get plenty of updates via Upday. Like you say if the nationals don't run with it now do we hear? To be honest I rarely read the local chip paper.

Edit: using the BBC post code search shows East Midlands are up 15 cases on last week with 28 per 100k with 34 current cases. They aren't on the government watch list though. That's 3 per 100k more than my city who are.

Reading Fergus Walsh's views (BBC) on why deaths sent rising is interesting. Mostly because it's obvious all through he is trying to downplay it and one of his quoted experts even contradicts his narrative that it's all over (but since said ecpert is promoting the Swedish model he must be hoping we dont notice). That attitude is causing rises. We can dream of Swedish society all we wish but look at the rises trends and think of the idiots, many we see, who thinks it's all done. Maybe 2-3 in 10 I see entering shops when I'm there cleanse their hands anymore and shops long ago stopped wiping down trolleys. [Insert Homer Simpson Doh here]

I did a bit of research on the BBC's 'Look up tool' last night re the current situation in Burton vs the current situation in Bolton. (as per the latest count).

East Staffordshire (Burton);
27 cases per 100,000.

Bolton;
122 cases per 100,000.

My area;
16 cases per 100,000.

Lichfield doesn't have an official 'outbreak' per se ATM, I was just referring to that particular area in general not escaping the virus, in the context of it generally being one of the more desirable and affluent areas of the county and (dare I say it) a predominantly White area.

For a bit of a silver lining, I recommend you all take a peek at this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54064347

Scass
09-09-20, 15:54
Thanks for sharing that post Lenco [emoji846]

Pamplemousse
09-09-20, 17:38
It does state that person's issues might have occurred by chance, so it's probably best for us all not to jump to conclusions at this stage.

(I don't necessarily mean you personally, PM).

don't worry Lencoboy, I think we almost know each other well enough not to worry about such things :yesyes:

Lencoboy
11-09-20, 16:35
Before people start panicking, the proposed restrictions in Birmingham and the adjoining West Midlands boroughs of Sandwell and Solihull, that are to come into force on Tuesday, are NOT a full-on lockdown, mostly restrictions on visiting (see BBC News website for full details), similar to the current measures in Bolton, which also isn't in a full-on lockdown.

The Burton thing, however, was only very briefly mentioned in the Stoke and Staffordshire local news section on the BBC News website, but on the 26th August (which was a couple of weeks ago), with the article predominantly covering Stoke, which is obviously the worst hit area in Staffs, though it seems the situation in Burton has up until now been kept low-key in the wider media, which will inevitably keep said area from being heavily named and shamed by keyboard warriors on social media, etc.

Obviously still not big news like Bolton, and Birmingham.

MyNameIsTerry
11-09-20, 23:18
Just weeks ago the rate per 100k on average was 5. Now it's 18.

So, what has gone wrong? Is this due to lag in time between lifting measures and how counting picks them up?

Foreign travel will add it's share but I would be putting my money more on higher levels from people being forced together in large groups. Pictures of the pubs show the crowds gathering.

Looking at the hotspot down the road from me it's a case of 6 streets. It all happened off the back of a religious celebration period. The next one from a bingo evening at a working men's club (far reduced compared to the former outbreak). But now the numbers are still on the rise. I don't know whether this is because of general increase or a mixture with hotspots.

Regardless, it's not looking good. And neither are the cases on that graph on the BBC page.

Lencoboy
12-09-20, 07:53
Why the govt have decided to set the new national 6 people rule from next Monday, and the restrictions in the West Midlands conurbation from Tuesday, and not immediately from yesterday or today is totally beyond me.

People will be irresponsibly having gatherings in their houses en masse this weekend while they still can, cue cases likely rocketing to 4-5k by next week!!

As far as the current situation in both the West Midlands and Bolton goes, I wish the media would be more specific and use more accurate terms like 'restrictions', rather than 'lockdown', which it isn't actually the latter.

I think in these instances the term 'lockdown' amounts to hyperbole, as in the WM, most places will still remain open as before, and people aren't being ordered to not leave their homes. The proposed restrictions in the WM from Tuesday hardly even come close to what happened in Leicester over the summer.

Just like our local rag referred to a big late night drunken street brawl in our town centre as a 'riot' back in the early 2000s, when it was nothing of the sort.
Mind you, our local rag has toned down its sensationalism dramatically over the past 10-15 years or so.

Lencoboy
12-09-20, 17:20
Some good news.

The Oxford Uni vaccine trial is to be resumed following the pause earlier in the week, owing to that 'hitch'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54132066

fishman65
12-09-20, 17:40
Just weeks ago the rate per 100k on average was 5. Now it's 18.

So, what has gone wrong? Is this due to lag in time between lifting measures and how counting picks them up?

Foreign travel will add it's share but I would be putting my money more on higher levels from people being forced together in large groups. Pictures of the pubs show the crowds gathering.

Looking at the hotspot down the road from me it's a case of 6 streets. It all happened off the back of a religious celebration period. The next one from a bingo evening at a working men's club (far reduced compared to the former outbreak). But now the numbers are still on the rise. I don't know whether this is because of general increase or a mixture with hotspots.

Regardless, it's not looking good. And neither are the cases on that graph on the BBC page.I'd agree totally with pubs and crowds playing a large part. This pub is just a few miles from me.
https://www.northantslive.news/news/northamptonshire-news/pub-200-drinkers-crammed-given-4504902

Lencoboy
13-09-20, 17:44
This isn't intended as criticism per se, but I've noticed people generally seem to be posting on these CV threads less just lately, which I'm quite surprised about.

AntsyVee
13-09-20, 17:49
It may be that it's become normalized...or it may be that people are so stressed out and bombarded by it everyday that they're refraining from posting to keep their sanity.

WiredIncorrectly
13-09-20, 18:32
It may be that it's become normalized...or it may be that people are so stressed out and bombarded by it everyday that they're refraining from posting to keep their sanity.

It's this. The less time I think about it, the less it bothers me.

Lencoboy
13-09-20, 18:42

You could be right there, AV.

I think I am due a bit of a break from this forum for a few days.

Pamplemousse
13-09-20, 18:48

The latter for me. Give you an example - I've just made up a second pot noodle, because I noticed the first one had a small pinhole in the lid after I sat down to eat it. I therefore binned it because I convinced myself that the pinhole was caused by someone injecting it with poison.

Earlier, a friend asked me if I was still keeping sane during all this, and I answered "Honestly? No, I am not."

I will soon reach the point where Radio 4 and BBC News are banned again.

dorabella
13-09-20, 21:44
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm just so sick of all the same old BBC bulls!!!t every hour of every day - just doommongering, misery and political nonsense everywhere you look. he BBC, the so-called experts, the MSM are just desperate for this 'second' wave to justify the climate of fear they have created ... I haven't watched or listened to the news for months now - just check in to Talk Radio or YouTube to get rational perspective on events and to hear some alternative opinion to keep me grounded. Have struggled these last two months to keep my sanity - still working from home after 6 months as I'm not allowed back to my offices yet, and no physical contact with anyone apart from my nieghbours downstairs and the Sainsburys delivery guys. This is like a never-ending groundhog day and I've had more than enough.Sometimes you just need to re-charge the batteries and think about something else.

fishman65
13-09-20, 22:39
I agree with those last few posts. The news is never ending doom and the garden is my only escape.

NoraB
14-09-20, 07:43
Sunday afternoon up the Arndale getting some PJ's for my lad.

As usual, a lot of people totally ignoring the one way system, and, I'm not sure, but I don't think that wearing the mask under the chin is all that effective in not spreading this virus? Or holding it like a tiny handbag. Or slinging it on the floor...

Second whinge: it used to be poo bags strewn all over the floor and in trees and bushes - now we have disposable face masks too! Have these people never been introduced to a bin?

Speaking of bins... when we got back to the car, somebody had cleared the rubbish out of their car (sweet wrappers, fag packets, bottles etc) and dumped it all in the parking bay - obviously mistaking two white lines for a massive bin. (I bet they were wearing their masks round their chins and strolling the wrong way down the one way too)

Well, that's me purged. Time for brekkie.

pulisa
14-09-20, 08:08

As usual, a lot of people totally ignoring the one way system, and, I'm not sure, but I don't think that wearing the mask under the chin is all that effective in not spreading this virus? Or holding it like a tiny handbag. Or slinging it on the floor...

Second whinge: it used to be poo bags strewn all over the floor and in trees and bushes - now we have disposable face masks too! Have these people never been introduced to a bin?

Speaking of bins... when we got back to the car, somebody had cleared the rubbish out of their car (sweet wrappers, fag packets, bottles etc) and dumped it all in the parking bay - obviously mistaking two white lines for a massive bin. (I bet they were wearing their masks round their chins and strolling the wrong way down the one way too)

Makes sure it's not All Bran..You won't need that!:D

How does your son cope with the Covid business, Nora? My son is pretty laid back whilst my daughter is terrified- CV has had a huge impact on her being able to function and her inability to control her own environment torments her.

pulisa
14-09-20, 08:12
I'm glad that GPs are now being challenged on their failure to provide sufficient face-to-face consultations when needed. Too many of them are hiding behind their phones and making lazy diagnoses based on guesswork.

Scass
14-09-20, 16:48
This isn't intended as criticism per se, but I've noticed people generally seem to be posting on these CV threads less just lately, which I'm quite surprised about.

I’m so tired of it. Like my 6 yo says “I just want it to go away”. It’s like a constant nagging worry and I just don’t want to read much about it at the moment. Sorry!

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-20, 04:50
I'd agree totally with pubs and crowds playing a large part. This pub is just a few miles from me.
https://www.northantslive.news/news/northamptonshire-news/pub-200-drinkers-crammed-given-4504902

Just like the one at Stone. Someone went into a pub speculated to have 200 people crammed and had Covid. Then took it onto after pub parties. The landlords are laughing from all the profit made. They should be heavily fined and their licence reviewed.

Crazy idiots having a 1999 style block out over the weekend just because they can't go around in big groups this week and the pubs shut early. Diddums. But everytime I see a Soho pic of huge crowds the question is less about the idiots themselves than it is the weak police force turning a blind eye.

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-20, 04:52

Most posting over recent months represent NMPers who you won't see raising many threads anyway. So I guess the HAers have headed back to their old hangout boards and respective worry themes otherwise this board would be awash.

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-20, 04:54
I'm glad that GPs are now being challenged on their failure to provide sufficient face-to-face consultations when needed. Too many of them are hiding behind their phones and making lazy diagnoses based on guesswork.

I'm glad they are. They washed their hands of the elderly throughout this.

And yet district nurses carried on seeing patients in their homes. Its funny how GPs can't attend but they can send nurses around for tests. Maybe nurses have some form of immunity...:whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-20, 05:01
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm just so sick of all the same old BBC bulls!!!t every hour of every day - just doommongering, misery and political nonsense everywhere you look. he BBC, the so-called experts, the MSM are just desperate for this 'second' wave to justify the climate of fear they have created ... I haven't watched or listened to the news for months now - just check in to Talk Radio or YouTube to get rational perspective on events and to hear some alternative opinion to keep me grounded. Have struggled these last two months to keep my sanity - still working from home after 6 months as I'm not allowed back to my offices yet, and no physical contact with anyone apart from my nieghbours downstairs and the Sainsburys delivery guys. This is like a never-ending groundhog day and I've had more than enough.Sometimes you just need to re-charge the batteries and think about something else.

Ooh er, I dare not ask what you ordered for them to be so obliging, dorabella :blush::winks:

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-20, 05:14

Yep, seeing this emerging dumped mask and gloves trend around here too. Should give XR something to shut down London over...

https://www.mrbroviak.com/uploads/3/7/4/5/37450073/2462397.jpg

pulisa
15-09-20, 08:19
I'm glad they are. They washed their hands of the elderly throughout this.

And yet district nurses carried on seeing patients in their homes. Its funny how GPs can't attend but they can send nurses around for tests. Maybe nurses have some form of immunity...:whistles:

District nurses are wonderful..and probably a lot more knowledgeable than lazy GPs who have been on one long holiday protected by gatekeeper receptionists.

NoraB
15-09-20, 08:30
Makes sure it's not All Bran..You won't need that!:D

How does your son cope with the Covid business, Nora? My son is pretty laid back whilst my daughter is terrified- CV has had a huge impact on her being able to function and her inability to control her own environment torments her.

Sorry to hear your daughter is struggling..

My son struggled with the mask at first (as did I) but we experimented and found one which doesn't ramp up the anxiety. He didn't handle being at home when they closed the schools because he needs a clear separation from home and school. For this reason, we have always had an issue around homework. The home-schooling deal didn't work for us at all, so that was binned after 2 weeks because his anxiety was going orbital - as was mine. And the lurcher's. Put it this way, his key worker phoned up on the second week and asked if he could speak to him, I said, 'You'll have a job mate, he's lying on the floor with his arse up in the air (his stress position) so we agreed to leave the home-schooling. Now he's back in school (in his big boy blazer) and he's loving it. As he says, 'Nobody makes burgers like chef does, Mum'. That's me told.:roflmao:

pulisa
15-09-20, 08:48
Good ol' compartmentalised behaviour! I can imagine how impossible home-schooling would be..So totally out of context!

I'm glad he's loving his new school..That's a great achievement and well done to you too, Nora because transitioning can be terribly hard.

dorabella
15-09-20, 20:55
Ooh er, I dare not ask what you ordered for them to be so obliging, dorabella :blush::winks:Ha Ha Terry ... not what you think! Just meant the only times I have had a physical conversation with another human being in months ... as opposed to bloody virtual. My Sainsbury delivery guys are very friendly though and its good to have a laugh with them.

NoraB
16-09-20, 08:20
Good ol' compartmentalised behaviour! I can imagine how impossible home-schooling would be..So totally out of context!

I'm glad he's loving his new school..That's a great achievement and well done to you too, Nora because transitioning can be terribly hard.

It's the same school, pulisa. He started when he was 7 (having been almost broken by mainstream) and will stay there until his schooling is done. Massive relief. That said, there are two campuses and, due to Covid, his year have been moved to the other campus, so it has been a transition in a way. He's coped really well. His only anxiety being if the new campus chef would be able to do his burgers like the other one. :whistles: Turns out, this one is even better at burgers - so the problem will be getting him back to the other campus lol.

Lencoboy
16-09-20, 11:29
Whilst I have had a bit of a break from here since Sunday, I have read and heard about people moaning about the new 6 person rule that came into force on Monday, and some of those people have accused the govt of taking liberties and said they think the maximum limit should be a higher number.

I bet many of those same people would be amongst the first to have digs at the govt, NHS, etc, accusing them of 'too little, too late' if they and/or their families end up coming down with the virus over the coming days/weeks, all for the sake of their indignation at this simple new rule of 6 persons.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Lencoboy
16-09-20, 11:40

I agree with you. The general narrative of late seems to be that we're fighting a losing battle against this wretched virus and I for one am getting sick to the back teeth of hyperbolic language like 'second wave', in which this first wave is still hardly over and never even went away, and calling the latest restrictions in the W. Mids a 'lockdown', when it is actually nothing of the sort, and doesn't even come close to what actually happened in Leicester over the summer, let alone the actual nationwide lockdown over the spring.

I just wish for once and for all the media got their facts straight on this particular matter, but alas, that's extremely unlikely as many seem to revel in the sensationalist narrative, and the media are basically pandering to them.

Give me Dr John Campbell and his ilk on YouTube anyday!!

Lencoboy
16-09-20, 12:12

I tend to agree, though I think this so-called laziness was already going on in one form or another long before Covid became a thing, and to a certain extent, even predating the austerity measures of the past decade.

I personally think it's a manifestation of the 'can't-be-bothered' and 'blame game' cultures that have more or less permeated most professions over the past 30 years or so, irrespective of who's in govt.

pulisa
16-09-20, 13:22
It's the same school, pulisa. He started when he was 7 (having been almost broken by mainstream) and will stay there until his schooling is done. Massive relief. That said, there are two campuses and, due to Covid, his year have been moved to the other campus, so it has been a transition in a way. He's coped really well. His only anxiety being if the new campus chef would be able to do his burgers like the other one. :whistles: Turns out, this one is even better at burgers - so the problem will be getting him back to the other campus lol.

He must get his priorities right!:D Getting the right school is so crucial, isn't it?! My son was in mainstream with a Statement of SEN from 4 to 18 and my daughter was at a school for autistic children from 4-11, then went to an LD school for girls but that was too much socially so she went back to her first school after having to take a year out with severe anxiety.

I hope your boy's only worries are burger-related in the coming weeks!:D

Lencoboy
16-09-20, 18:21
On the BBC News website it's been stated that a second national lockdown in the UK is both highly unlikely ATM.

Not just from BJ, but from other experts and advisors, all of whom not only believe that the implications for the economy, people's other (non-CV) health issues, education, etc would prove even more problematic this time round, but also because it's believed that the authorities, NHS, etc have a much better grasp on the situation now than back in the early spring of this year.

Nevertheless, the deaths still remain far, far lower compared to the last time a similar, but very slightly higher, number to today's was recorded on the 10th May.

I know it's currently a subject of much debate as to whether the true rates of daily infections earlier in the year were actually higher than was realised at the time due to testing only being limited to those who were already extremely ill in hospital with the virus, but it's most certainly interesting that the powers that be now concede a second nationwide lockdown to be even more detrimental than the virus itself, which I kind of agree, but we'll just have to wait and see, especially given BJ and Co. are notorious for abruptly changing their minds over many things.

fishman65
16-09-20, 20:06
The medical correspondent on ITV news pointed out the fact that testing was central to avoiding another national lockdown. But with cases 'soaring' and testing seemingly failing all ends up, how do avoid that lockdown? Or is that aforementioned correspondent towing the alarmist MSM line?

Like you Lencoboy I still watch Dr Campbell on youtube, I've only missed a couple since he started in January.

WiredIncorrectly
16-09-20, 21:15
The news about possible lockdown is called prep talk. They're preparing for what's inevitably going to happen. When I hear Government saying there is a possibility of a national lockdown it generally means it's going to happen.

NoraB
17-09-20, 08:42
He must get his priorities right!:D Getting the right school is so crucial, isn't it?! My son was in mainstream with a Statement of SEN from 4 to 18 and my daughter was at a school for autistic children from 4-11, then went to an LD school for girls but that was too much socially so she went back to her first school after having to take a year out with severe anxiety.

I hope your boy's only worries are burger-related in the coming weeks!:D

Mainstream still makes my nervous twitch kick in. They were incredibly supportive, and lovely, but they struggled to handle my son even with full one to one support. We had lots of issues with certain parents who saw my son as a bully, and not the vulnerable child he was. He was accused of 'bribing a child to be his friend' when he gave her some money to buy some fruit because she hadn't any. This parent told the teachers that my son wasn't to play with their child - despite them having been friends for years. His time at mainstream ended on a low with a police caution issued to parent who abused me and my son in the street. They were shouting and swearing - calling my son 'unfit' to be around other children. If it had just been me, I wouldn't have involved the police, but my kid was traumatised, so...

According to the police, the only thing this person was bothered about was if the caution would affect their job - not that they had traumatised a vulnerable 7 year old child. They threatened the HT that they would remove their child if he didn't expel my son. So he told them, in no uncertain terms, to remove their child, and they did. When they heard my son had left the school, they asked if their child could come back and was refused. I think we did the school a favour lol. In the end my son's mental health hit crisis point so our council didn't argue when we applied for a place at this new school - the only one locally which was right for him. As it was, we didn't have the battle that a lot parents do. He's a different boy these days. Actually, he changed within 2 weeks of being there. The right school is crucial, for sure. He's a happy boy now. :yesyes:

He's chilled about Covid. I've no worries there, thankfully. He is in a class of 6 so distancing isn't an issue. This is opposed to the class of 35 he was in in mainstream!:scared15:

pulisa
17-09-20, 08:59
I'm so pleased that your son has found his ideal school environment after such a horrendous ordeal. Some parents are plain ignorant but they should never be allowed to traumatise vulnerable children and get away with it..

I was lucky getting a special school placement for my daughter..Having a girl in the class was quite an exception then!

My daughter has a dual diagnosis-ASD and OCD-so Covid has destroyed her safety mechanisms. All that she has learned re managing her OCD has been swept away so it's a tough one..

Scass
17-09-20, 12:32
An interesting point… one might have thought with all the Covid preventative/avoidance precautions it’d be difficult to catch or pass on a cold ….

Well my daughter sneezed in my face a few times so I couldn’t do much to stop it.

Hopefully in an office setting it may be harder for people to catch it from me with our screens, distancing, sanitising and hand washing. I’ll let you know!

Pamplemousse
17-09-20, 19:30
Via Medium:

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

If you feel TL:DR - WEAR A MASK.

pulisa
17-09-20, 19:47
Wear a mask CORRECTLY...covering your NOSE ie that long pointy thing in the middle of your face.

No excuses

AntsyVee
17-09-20, 20:35
As my brother says, "Not covering your nose with your mask is like wearing a condom on your balls." :roflmao:

fishman65
17-09-20, 21:00
An interesting point… one might have thought with all the Covid preventative/avoidance precautions it’d be difficult to catch or pass on a cold ….Your thinking would be accurate Pain. Influenza cases in the southern hemisphere 2020 are way down.
https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/24/coronavirus-restrictions

Gary A
17-09-20, 22:48
Via Medium:

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

The effectiveness of masks and face coverings is something that really needs close scrutiny and very clear results made available to the public. Scientists have been very wishy washy with their advice on this. I still cannot fathom why they weren’t pushed more during the peak here in the UK. At that point they were almost discouraged.

I would say however, that it’s clear that most outbreaks are in places that masks aren’t worn. Pubs, restaurants, schools and household gatherings have all contributed to larger outbreaks. These are all places where masks aren’t required. We don’t see that in supermarkets or shops, or public transport, where masks are largely mandatory.

WiredIncorrectly
17-09-20, 23:53
Do you breath in more carbon dioxide wearing a mask? I don't wear one, they make me feel like I can't breath. But, I don't go anywhere near people anyway.

pulisa
18-09-20, 08:06
It's not particularly comfortable wearing a mask but we should all wear one. It's no big deal but a much bigger deal if you pass on the virus to others less fortunate than yourself. You just have to get used to it. If masks are subsequently proved to be of little use then it's no big sacrifice for us.

Lencoboy
18-09-20, 14:50
Via Medium:

Some very interesting revelations there, PM, and sums it all up quite nicely.

If only we all knew back in March what
we know now, things might have been very different by now.

And it's not just our govt who were/are to blame, the situation was so unprecedented that even the best scientists in the world initially struggled to get their heads round all this.

Pamplemousse
18-09-20, 15:03
Do you breath in more carbon dioxide wearing a mask? I don't wear one, they make me feel like I can't breath. But, I don't go anywhere near people anyway.

I think the answer is "no".

Pamplemousse
18-09-20, 15:05
I get the feeling the second lockdown is coming - a stupid three word slogan has been formulated in the shape of "circuit break lockdown" so it must be coming...

fishman65
18-09-20, 15:19
I get the feeling the second lockdown is coming - a stupid three word slogan has been formulated in the shape of "circuit break lockdown" so it must be coming...I think you could be right PM, the new R rate is between 1.1 and 1.4 by all accounts. Then I hear that 'if' there is another lockdown it will be in October so as not to disrupt the kid's schooling. I can hear horses galloping into the distance followed by stable doors being slammed.

Lencoboy
18-09-20, 15:28
I get the feeling the second lockdown is coming - a stupid three word slogan has been formulated in the shape of "circuit break lockdown" so it must be coming...

Cue mass protests nationwide if it does come to pass (not from me though), but we're only 5 days into the national measures introduced on Monday (14th), so the powers that be still need to give them chance before rushing to a second nationwide lockdown. Let's face it, the first national lockdown back in the spring didn't really start bringing down overall cases properly until at least the beginning of May, that still makes it plausible that the actual number of cases earlier in the year might have been much higher than we realised at the time, especially due to only the worst affected being eligible for tests back then.

Van Morrison is now under fire over his Covid denial songs, but he's defending his god-given rights to free expression, and he is adamant that this whole situation is a hoax. Crazy man!

NoraB
18-09-20, 15:31
I was lucky getting a special school placement for my daughter..Having a girl in the class was quite an exception then!

Boys still outnumbering girls by a long way in the school, but there is a girl in his class. Yay!

NoraB
18-09-20, 15:49

Wearing a mask triggered my panic attacks because the first day I wore one (before it became law) I had a nocturnal panic attack. First one in ages. Can't have been to do with less oxygen etc because all that has been proved not to be the case, so it has to be psychological. I don't like things on my face (autistic sensory thang) so it stands to reason I'm going to struggle with a mask. Don't like hats either!

I tried on lots of different ones until I found one which I can tolerate because I want to do my bit in kicking Covid to the gutter.

Plus, I look badass in a mask. :yesyes:

Also, nobody comes up to me and says, 'Smile love, it might never happen!' because I happen to have a serious resting bitch face!:mad:

Lencoboy
18-09-20, 16:31
Oh no, cases above 4k now!!

Also deaths edging up.

I don't know why the govt waited until Monday (14th) to implement the latest nationwide restrictions, which they announced last Wednesday (9th), rather than implementing them straight away.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but the govt might now just as well go the whole hog and impose a second nationwide lockdown, which Matt Hancock actually admitted today hasn't been ruled out.

And it will also be the fault of the idiots who no longer seem to give a damn, who think they have a god-given right not to social distance nor wear masks, go visiting their friends, go on holidays abroad, spread all this 'Covid is a hoax and world leaders want to control us BS', and refuse point blank to co-operate with the rules period, then they will essentially be getting what they didn't want.

Sorry, but not only these Covidiots will be the ones having to face the music, but those of us who are still acting responsibly.

The Covidiots have firmly taken over the asylum now. They've made their bed so they have to sleep in it, and have their cake and eat it!

I just give up, I really do!!

(BTW, I'm not having digs at anyone on here).

pulisa
18-09-20, 18:00
Wearing a mask triggered my panic attacks because the first day I wore one (before it became law) I had a nocturnal panic attack. First one in ages. Can't have been to do with less oxygen etc because all that has been proved not to be the case, so it has to be psychological. I don't like things on my face (autistic sensory thang) so it stands to reason I'm going to struggle with a mask. Don't like hats either!

I tried on lots of different ones until I found one which I can tolerate because I want to do my bit in kicking Covid to the gutter.

Plus, I look badass in a mask. :yesyes:

Also, nobody comes up to me and says, 'Smile love, it might never happen!' because I happen to have a serious resting bitch face!:mad:

My daughter had a bad panic attack the first time she wore a mask but persevered and now can cope very nicely..I splashed out on some "designer" masks which are softer so these were more acceptable and looked prettier! She wants to do her bit too.

I hope you are ok where you live, Nora?..It must be much harder for you in the north west.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-20, 00:28
Oh no, cases above 4k now!!

Also deaths edging up.

I don't know why the govt waited until Monday (14th) to implement the latest nationwide restrictions, which they announced last Wednesday (9th), rather than implementing them straight away.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but the govt might now just as well go the whole hog and impose a second nationwide lockdown, which Matt Hancock actually admitted today hasn't been ruled out.

And it will also be the fault of the idiots who no longer seem to give a damn, who think they have a god-given right not to social distance nor wear masks, go visiting their friends, go on holidays abroad, spread all this 'Covid is a hoax and world leaders want to control us BS', and refuse point blank to co-operate with the rules period, then they will essentially be getting what they didn't want.

Sorry, but not only these Covidiots will be the ones having to face the music, but those of us who are still acting responsibly.

The Covidiots have firmly taken over the asylum now. They've made their bed so they have to sleep in it, and have their cake and eat it!

I just give up, I really do!!

(BTW, I'm not having digs at anyone on here).

Something to remember, as ever, is there is no comparison between now and then. We don't have the data unless you use the studies that have attempted to determine what the true rate might have been. Then how does it compare? For instance, is the spike as sharp? We know it can't be because even without the full data the earlier spike was cliff edge compared to the slow then sharper increases in trend we are seeing now. Plus we are better at testing so there needs to be a % determined to account for that as compared to earlier where no tracing would have happened (unless they add that % into their estimates for earlier in the year).

The 7 day rolling average is nowhere near as sharp. We know the first wave was massive but this one, even with full counting methods and tracing, is nowhere near. Therefore we are slowing the spread in some way. But the question remains will it return to the levels they would have been if testing has occurred then as it is now?

If you had asked me about the first weeks where it started to rise I would be very pessimistic about a second wave. Watching it sharply rise now suggests unless we stop it we can expect a second wave. But we know a lot more now so that doesn't have to translate into a national lockdown. Only a fool would lock down low infection areas just because we have high infection areas hundreds of miles away.

The death rates are climbing but they remain a slow increase. This is very good news (other than the poor people who have died, of course). The hospital admissions are climbing at a higher rate but still remain low compared to the sharp incline on the infection chart. If these two remain low, good news, but if the time comes they start spiking then we are in big trouble again.

A concern is the reported increase across all age groups. Whilst 20-29 remains the worst (doesn't this tie in with the socialising root causes?) they have reported the 85+ are rising. This will mean 60-69 and 70+will be rising. This is an obvious concern.

Lets hope they, and the public, are taking all steps to stop this getting into hospitals and care homes.

Noivous
19-09-20, 01:10
Sir Van Morrison, 3 new protest songs condemning lockdowns. I always liked that Irishman.

https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/entertainment/2020/9/18/21445735/van-morrison-protests-coronavirus-lockdown-with-new-music-u-k

Lencoboy
19-09-20, 08:18
Something to remember, as ever, is there is no comparison between now and then. We don't have the data unless you use the studies that have attempted to determine what the true rate might have been. Then how does it compare? For instance, is the spike as sharp? We know it can't be because even without the full data the earlier spike was cliff edge compared to the slow then sharper increases in trend we are seeing now. Plus we are better at testing so there needs to be a % determined to account for that as compared to earlier where no tracing would have happened (unless they add that % into their estimates for earlier in the year).

The 7 day rolling average is nowhere near as sharp. We know the first wave was massive but this one, even with full counting methods and tracing, is nowhere near. Therefore we are slowing the spread in some way. But the question remains will it return to the levels they would have been if testing has occurred then as it is now?

If you had asked me about the first weeks where it started to rise I would be very pessimistic about a second wave. Watching it sharply rise now suggests unless we stop it we can expect a second wave. But we know a lot more now so that doesn't have to translate into a national lockdown. Only a fool would lock down low infection areas just because we have high infection areas hundreds of miles away.

The death rates are climbing but they remain a slow increase. This is very good news (other than the poor people who have died, of course). The hospital admissions are climbing at a higher rate but still remain low compared to the sharp incline on the infection chart. If these two remain low, good news, but if the time comes they start spiking then we are in big trouble again.

A concern is the reported increase across all age groups. Whilst 20-29 remains the worst (doesn't this tie in with the socialising root causes?) they have reported the 85+ are rising. This will mean 60-69 and 70+will be rising. This is an obvious concern.

Lets hope they, and the public, are taking all steps to stop this getting into hospitals and care homes.

Some very wise words there Terry.

Perhaps at face value it might seem like we're almost back to where we were in the spring, daily cases wise, but like you said, there have been many developments since then, such as more routine testing, which was then limited to the absolute worst cases, and the daily recorded cases during the last 'peak' between late March and early May were probably just the 'tip of the iceberg', whilst the daily recorded cases right now, whilst still far from perfect, might be more representative than those back in the spring, which many now believe were greatly undercounted.There is also increased speculation that Covid might already have been within our shores as early as last December, and whatever cases and deaths back then were probably thought to have been attributed to the normal flu.

NoraB
19-09-20, 08:20
My daughter had a bad panic attack the first time she wore a mask but persevered and now can cope very nicely..I splashed out on some "designer" masks which are softer so these were more acceptable and looked prettier! She wants to do her bit too.

I hope you are ok where you live, Nora?..It must be much harder for you in the north west.

We've been restricted for a few weeks now, and no sign in it changing according to the text I got this morning...

Lencoboy
19-09-20, 16:56
I've decided to have a break from the news over the next few days, though I will be continuing with the very same precautions until further notice.

If the worst comes to the worst, and we end up having no choice but to have a second nationwide lockdown, my view is that it might be easier for me this time round having already experienced it earlier in the year, so therefore, I know what (and not) to do and to expect.

My dad reckons that if it does end up happening (as an absolute last resort) it will probably be for just a fortnight max.

pulisa
19-09-20, 17:49
It will be known territory, Lencoboy and not on the same scale as what happened in March.

I think it's a good idea to take a break from the news because saturation will only increase anxiety and you won't gain reassurance from random facts and figures. Your dad sounds very supportive-far better to get that reassurance from him.

Lencoboy
19-09-20, 18:04
It will be known territory, Lencoboy and not on the same scale as what happened in March.

I think it's a good idea to take a break from the news because saturation will only increase anxiety and you won't gain reassurance from random facts and figures. Your dad sounds very supportive-far better to get that reassurance from him.

Thanks for your kind words, Pulisa.

Nice that the vast majority on here are generally level-headed in spite of their own anxieties, unlike many other forums, which seem to be full of constant bile and venom, and not just over Covid, but other heavily politicised things like Brexit, austerity, the economy, crime, terrorism, kids today, etc. Know-it-alls galore.

Though on here, it's generally more laid back, thank god.

pulisa
19-09-20, 19:42
Always a bad thing to engage with keyboard warriors unless you enjoy that sort of thing. They probably don't get much attention in the real world.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-20, 21:31
Morons across the political spectrum unite!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-clash-anti-vax-anti-22709291?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

:wall:

fishman65
19-09-20, 21:37
Thanks for your kind words, Pulisa.

Nice that the vast majority on here are generally level-headed in spite of their own anxieties, unlike many other forums, which seem to be full of constant bile and venom, and not just over Covid, but other heavily politicised things like Brexit, austerity, the economy, crime, terrorism, kids today, etc. Know-it-alls galore.

Though on here, it's generally more laid back, thank god.You're one of the level headed ones Lencoboy. Look after yourself mate and keep safe.

Pamplemousse
19-09-20, 22:34
I've decided to have a break from the news over the next few days, though I will be continuing with the very same precautions until further notice.

A wise move: I'm doing the same. So no more BBC News channel, no more BBC website, no Radio 4.

On a positive note; I've just managed to get through two days back at work after six months - and there may be more to come.

pulisa
20-09-20, 08:06
That's a real achievement, PM and you should be congratulated for making that mental leap. I hope you felt as comfortable as possible and enjoyed being back. I hope you are able to continue at work if it's at all feasible and possible.

I don't bother with the news. I've got a vague idea of what's going on but that probably is the same for everyone including the so-called experts:)

Lencoboy
20-09-20, 09:40
Very gratifying to know that my comments made yesterday evening have struck a positive chord with many on here.

You're all correct in the sense that we shouldn't keep getting bogged down with all the endless news headlines, social media, etc, and take a break from them for a while, and continue to do what we do best whilst still following the necessary precautions.

There does seem to be two extremes of person with regards to this pandemic, one being the Covidiots who are totally disregarding all the official guidelines and in total denial over this pandemic, and the other, who seems to be blatantly hyping it up with endless Armageddon-type narratives, and of course riling everyone up on forums, social media, etc.

I and most others on here probably have the most 'middle ground' perspective on all of this. I know I have been guilty myself of saying stuff like 'Yikes, 4k cases now' the other day, but at the same time I was voicing my indignation at the so-called Covidiots of this country, who are IMO mostly to blame for the current upsurge in infection rates, and they will probably be amongst the first to gather en masse in central London to protest against a second nationwide lockdown if it happens, which would have been mostly self-inflicted simply because they refused point blank to stick to the rules, at the expense and inconvenience of us all.

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 09:41
Thanks, Pulisa.

It hasn't been without difficulties mentally and my personal internal Covid clock is now ticking, but the person I was working with has been incredibly considerate of my position and feelings.

I'd be happy with just a day or two a week - enough to keep the wolves from the door. And if I can stay sane, healthy and clear my credit card debt too so much the better.

Lencoboy
20-09-20, 14:16
Well our local Morrisons supermarket have now reinstated marshals in the main entrance/exit lobby, one-way systems and special checkout queuing systems, and thank god they have, as I thought most supermarkets were a bit premature in ditching such measures around July-early August IIRC.

Hopefully all the other supermarkets will also be following suit, or might already be doing so.

pulisa
20-09-20, 17:42
Thanks, Pulisa.

It hasn't been without difficulties mentally and my personal internal Covid clock is now ticking, but the person I was working with has been incredibly considerate of my position and feelings.

I'd be happy with just a day or two a week - enough to keep the wolves from the door. And if I can stay sane, healthy and clear my credit card debt too so much the better.

It sounds like a good option, PM. You'll probably benefit overall from having such a balance and if you have consideration in the workplace then so much the better. Not everyone is an inconsiderate idiot and people do care about others.

pulisa
20-09-20, 18:02
Well our local Morrisons supermarket have now reinstated marshals in the main entrance/exit lobby, one-way systems and special checkout queuing systems, and thank god they have, as I thought most supermarkets were a bit premature in ditching such measures around July-early August IIRC.

Hopefully all the other supermarkets will also be following suit, or might already be doing so.

Waitrose have been fantastic and nothing has changed since March. I go shopping regularly and feel completely safe there. I wouldn't go anywhere else and am very lucky that it is my local supermarket.

Lencoboy
20-09-20, 18:33
Waitrose have been fantastic and nothing has changed since March. I go shopping regularly and feel completely safe there. I wouldn't go anywhere else and am very lucky that it is my local supermarket.

Hopefully if all the major supermarkets are now starting to reinstate these measures it should ultimately serve as a timely warning to the serial Covidiots of this country, that is, obey the rules or there will be serious consequences, e.g, a second nationwide lockdown, meaning mass disruption and inconvenience for us all, not forgetting even further cases and inadvertently, deaths.

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 19:43
Hopefully if all the major supermarkets are now starting to reinstate these measures it should ultimately serve as a timely warning to the serial Covidiots of this country, that is, obey the rules or there will be serious consequences, e.g, a second nationwide lockdown, meaning mass disruption and inconvenience for us all, not forgetting even further cases and inadvertently, deaths.

Not here; in fact, Morrisons seemed to have edged closer to the "good old days" when I was up there today. Of the supermarkets I use, M&S has never used marshalls or one-way systems and neither would it seem does my nearest Waitrose.

Sadly, where I live has recorded three new cases - the first in over three months :(

I'm having a quiet shilling on a two-week lockdown during half term. It's now got an imbecilic three-word slogan after all.

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 19:48
It sounds like a good option, PM. You'll probably benefit overall from having such a balance and if you have consideration in the workplace then so much the better. Not everyone is an inconsiderate idiot and people do care about others.

I'm hoping so. Some are going into a massive 'CYA' mode, others are more flexible and supportive. It's just I'm an old man in a young industry which is not helpful.

pulisa
20-09-20, 19:54
I'm hoping so. Some are going into a massive 'CYA' mode, others are more flexible and supportive. It's just I'm an old man in a young industry which is not helpful.

An "old man" (your words) with a wealth of experience who is valued and respected.

Pamplemousse
20-09-20, 23:28
You're very kind Pulisa, but it's a sad truth.

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-20, 23:28

Hopefully. You're absolutely right about them decreasing measures far too early. Another example of profit first. I couldn't believe how fast the one way systems disappeared and they cost little.

At my local Tesco most of the floor staff are wearing masks for the first time this year. They are catching on...:doh: