PDA

View Full Version : Ovarian problems

no1worrier
16-10-07, 14:04
Any advice greatly appreciated. Am having a very bad day worrying as have got a scan tomorrow to find out whether I have ovarian cysts or something more serious. Have had a period-type pain for a couple of months and a bad dull low back ache. After an examination, my GP is sure it's a cyst. I have obviously (and stupidly) googled my symptoms, only to find they all fit with ovarian cancer as well as ovarian cysts!! I have waited a month for the scan, which is tomorrow. I desperately want them to tell me the results tomorrow - does anyone know if they will. Also is there anyone who can reassure me about me symptoms. Many thanks xx

shoegal
16-10-07, 14:43
Hi no1worrier,
When I've had tests in hospital I have had to wait a few days for the results. I have never had a scan though, so I don't know if you will have to wait for the results of that. Please try not to google your symptoms. I have convinced myself that I have all kinds of disorders in the past which turned out not to be the case.
Good luck with your scan. :flowers:
Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

countrygirl
16-10-07, 20:01
It all depends on who does your scan - obviously if they suspect anything sinister they are not going to say " well to me that looks like cancer" as they would get into lots of trouble. I recently had a pelvic ultrasound and the radiographer said that they don't do vaginal ultrasounds unless there is something they need to look at more closely which again does not necessarily mean anything sinister. My cousin has ovarian and womb cancer and when she had her scan they told her enough information to make her very suspicious it was bad but no one mentioned cancer to her until she saw the consultant a few days later.

I want to be reassuring but its very hard as if they tell you you have a cyst you are not going to believe its none cancerous are you, we all jump to the worst conclusion. If it looks iffy they will want to do more scans or if they just arent totally sure they will do more scans.

If you don't have any cysts then the radiographer may tell you everytihing looks normal but again some radiographers won't say a word to you at all which can be worrying even if everything is normal.

I always ask the radiographer questions like are my ovaries okay or is my womb lining thick and they have to answer you somehow!!

I hope you get a friendly nice radiographer who will talk to you tomorow

Good luck

Quirky
16-10-07, 23:17
I have had a few pelvic ultrasounds now. Sometimes they do the internal vaginal scan routinely, so if that happens it does not mean anything needs further investigation or is abnormal or they have found anything etc. I have had it done every time routinely as that's what they do at my local hospital.

I have usually had to wait for the results, sometimes up to 2 weeks but often sooner and if it was bad they would not make you wait long. Usually the radiographers are not allowed to make comments on the scan or give results there and then, they are just there to scan. I usually ask them what they see but they just say they can't answer, they can't even give an all clear even if they can see it is clear as it has to be looked at by a radiology consultant or a doctor afterwards for clarification. They are not trained to diagnose.
Some places let you watch the screen and some don't either, so either way that does not mean anything either. In some hospitals a doctor does the scan (this is rare but happened to me once by chance) and in that instance I did get the results straight away but it's unusual for that to happen.

Try not to worry about your symptoms (not easy I know and I truly do understand how worried you are), they are far more likely to be something simple or even nothing rather than cancer. I had severe pelvic pain and nothing was found the first time. Then a few years later I had different pelvic pain and it was polycystic ovaries they found which is nothing to worry about anyway as the cysts are tiny and do not usually grow or cause problems. In fact it was probably just a bad back causing my pain at the time not the PCOS anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you get on:hugs:

Lisa x

helenclaire
17-10-07, 10:30
Hi, i have had scans for ovarian problems, and i was told there and then that i had a small cyst, they even showed it to me on the monitor. I have had follow up scans to keep an eye on it, but as it has not grown since it was found about 18 months ago, i have been discharged from the hospital as they are happy to leave it.
However as i know it is there, there is now the worry that it may change and i will not know. I try not to think about it, but every time i get a pain in that area i start worrying about it.
Although i do not want to have an operation i do feel it would be one less thing to worry about if it was not there at all.
But i guess they would not of left it if there was likely to be a problem, i try to take comfort in this, but it is not always that easy.
I am sure you will be fine.
take care Helen

no1worrier
17-10-07, 22:58
Thanks for all your replies and kind words. I had the scan today and the lady who did the scan was very understanding. Initially she told me she could not discuss results and continued doing the scan without saying a word! She then said she need to do an internal scan just to check something a bit clearer. Obviously this set alarm bells ringing and I got upset so she fetched my hubby in from the waiting room!

She carried out the internal scan, explaining what she was looking at, but still not giving anything away. Finally, when she had finished and she could see how anxious I was she reassured me that there was nothing untoward, although she needed to have a better look at the pictures. She thought that the cyst my doctor clearly felt had burst, hence the pain I'd been feeling. Anyway, all seems to be ok - another thing to tick off my worry list!!! Thanks once again for your replies.

In the past I've had scans for gallstones and my husband also had a testicle scan for a lump. In both cases we were told the results there and then, as I was today. Therefore I think if it is pretty clear that all is ok then they'll tell you, but if it's not, they won't!!:)

Quirky
17-10-07, 23:05
Well done for coping so well today and I am glad you got the all clear :hugs:

I have found that even if everything is ok they still don't usually tell me the results on the day but I guess it depends on the hospital as it varies on what and when people get told it seems.

Bet you feel relieved now :yesyes:

Lisa x