PDA

View Full Version : anyone on Mirtazapine

herb14
16-10-07, 14:35
Hi all,

I have ben sufferring from depression and anxiety on and off for 2 years now. I recently was on Seroxat (Paxil) for 3 weeks til my GP took me off it due to lack of sleep and bad thoughts in the morning. I am now on Mirtazapine 15 mg (taken at night) which definitely makes me sleep but i tend to wake at 5am feeling anxious ....Hence taking a low dose ttranquiliser (Lorazepam) to counter this. It also definitely makes you hungry and I agree particularly in the evening. I also tend to feel a bit weird and spaced out particularly around lunchtime and seem to have dry eyes . Anyone else encountered this ?

jo61
16-10-07, 14:49
I've been on it for years. I put on weight at first but needed to do at the time. I keep it under control (sort of) by exercising. I found 15mg wasn't enough for me and I'm now on 45 - no more side effects but definitely less anxiety. The great bonus is the knock out effect at night I reckon.

herb14
16-10-07, 15:55
Thanks for the info. Do you find this medication helps ? Can you function like a normal human on it ? The sleeping is definitely good. Has your GP suggested you taper off

jo61
16-10-07, 17:16
It has helped me enormously. I thought I had 'recovered' about 2 years ago and came off it but had ato go back on as the depression was still there. I see a psychiatrist and we've decided that I'll stay on it indefinitely. I had a very bad time after I came off it - not withdrawal, just the presence of the original problem. After a while I went on lithium as well which is normally prescribed for bipolar but also for recurrent episodes of depression which is my problem. The cocktail of the two has meant the difference between day and night.

xBettyBoopx
17-10-07, 19:55
Took it once (30mg), never again. Thought I was dying, nearly called an ambulance! Got outta bed to go to loo and fell over with dizziness, crawled to the loo and back, got back in2 bed everything spinning around and severe pain in back of head, needless to say, no sleep. Doctors are crap, they have no idea, they only give medication that are being promoted, NOT what you require. I haven't been to the doctors for about 15 months now.
Elspeth

neelhm
19-10-07, 11:56
Hiya.
Just wanted to say - yes you can function normally on Mirtazapine. I was on 30 mg for nine months and came off without too many problems (just a few brain shakes early in the morning that went once I woke up properly). I was highly anxious, not eating or sleeping and the medication helped me to do both. Yes you feel sleepy and dizzy the first couple of days especially if started on 15 mg, but in my experience it passed and I slowly got better. The anxiety did come back again though and my doc combined it with Effexor which worked a treat. I am now almost off the Effexor as well and feel back to normal with new job and happy life.
Most importantly, when you and your doc do decide it is time to come off, taper it really slowly. I took about six weeks coming off and that seemed to do the trick for me.
Finally, I would also say that the time spent on the medication needs to be backed up by some sort of therapy - I had CBT and have learned to deal with my anxious thoughts and generally to try to think in a different and more positive way but it was hard and took a long time. The meds won't cure you on their own in my view, because you will keep thinking in the same old unhealthy patterns and that is part of what made you ill in the first place (well what made me ill).

banana
19-10-07, 20:13
I have been on Mirtazapine 30mg for the last two weeks, feeling okay, and has definitely helped with my sleeping pattern and after having six weeks off work am now able to go to work two days a week at the moment, do feel hungry but have stated eating a lot more fruit and veg and am actually losing weight at the moment, so I think as long as you are careful and don't eat too much you should be okay. Am a bit fed up though as I don't seem to be able to eat chocolate any more, it makes me sick. Anybody else had the same thing?

:yesyes: Banana

herb14
22-10-07, 09:48
Thanks guys for all your replies. It is still early days for me yet as I have only been on it for a couple of weeks. I definitely sleep within a few minutes of taking the tablet even if I am not tired. however I do who have the hunger thing which I am trying to direct towards fruit. No problems with eating chocolate....everyone is different I suppose. Its good to keep off choc anyway because it is a stimulant.

I am now having to take a tranquiliser in the morning though to calm me down so i can function for the rest of day.

Have any of you managed to work while taking this from start to finish....

Regards and thanks

feeling funny
26-08-08, 02:51
im new at this ive been on mirtazapine for about 7 weeks now and at firts i was sleepy on 15 a night and feeling prety good from the start and now having side effect like realy wierd feeling in my face get realy ioly feel like its on fire as anybody felt the same thing.

wombat
07-09-08, 21:55
I've just come out of the Priory hospital and was put on Mirtazapine while i was in there.The day after though my ankles swelled up and one of the main side effects is fluid retention.I didn't realise it until one of the therapists mentioned it and they took me off it. I'm now on Lofepramine and haven't had any noticeable side effects so far-touch wood!
Saying that everybody reacts differently to meds so don't let it put you off.The shame about it was i felt soooo much better when i was on it but my ankles swelled up like balloons!

ElizabethJane
08-09-08, 16:18
Hi i am trying very hard to come off mirtazapine and have started a blog to chart my experiences whilst trying to do this. I had a severe reaction previously inspite of tapering. Mirtazapine worked well for me initially. 15mg helped me with my sleeping and low mood as well as paranoia. I also take it with other meds lithium and prothiaden. My psychiatrist wants to put me on somwething else and has mentioned a low dose of risperidone. I suffer from severe reccurent depression. I do not agree with a previous poster that you need to be having therapy as well as being on mirtazapine. Support from your GP or psychiatrist is essential.

jo61
08-09-08, 16:29
Sorry have to disagree here. I believe that drugs are not enough and therapy alongside them are very important :blush: . Now I'm a big fan of mirtazapine as it has changed my life and I couldn't function without it but the talking therapy is for me a very important element of my recovery; I do trust my GP and psychiatrist and they endorse my therapy also.
:hugs:

ElizabethJane
08-09-08, 21:47
I failed to say that I have had many different therapies in the past. All have helped me to get well. I have just finished a course of hypnotherapy for my IBS. I have many people whom I can talk to. My psychiatrist does not delve into my past. He prefers to keep me in the 'here and now' I stand by what I said previously. Mirtazapine can work by itself. You dont need to be 'in therapy' for it to work.

von
10-10-08, 22:30
Hi Herb, I have been on mirtazaoine for 4 weeks now and yes it does help me. I was on citalopram for 5 months but my mood didnt seem to be lifting. mirtazapine seems to have helped I now have more good days than bad, but I have put on 9lbs already (didnt put any weight on with citalopram) the weight gain is beginning to worry me tho! I have been on a diet for last week and not lost anything. Anyone else have this prob with this med?

von
10-10-08, 22:32
I also sleep much better on mirtazapine, take them just before bed and zonked out til morning, also have vivid dreams on them.

von
10-10-08, 22:34
I see a councellor once a week but if leaving his office crying is a sign its working then it is. I usually feel worse when I come out but only had 3 sessions so far.

von
10-10-08, 22:47
My ankles swell too and never did before mirtazapine, maybe my age. Still like chocolate tho, but trying to stay away as put loads weight on since taking it. on Citalopram before and no weight gain. I have been off work for 6 months now and only just starting to feel better.

jojochambo
16-10-08, 20:09
ive been on mirtazapine for 4 months now I take 45mg at night which helps me sleep.

kendo59
16-10-08, 23:38
I've been on 45mg Mirtazapine (and 80mg Propanalol + 5mg Diazepam) for 6 months. Can't say it's made a lot of difference to my depression (maybe taken the edge off a little) but my sleep pattern is all over the place.
I tend to stay awake for 24 hours & sleep for 12 hours. Dunno if this is related to the meds or what.

I've told my GP that I don't want to keep taking drugs, and would like to come off them, and he has cut me off completely from the Propanalol & Diazepam, but told me to keep taking the Mirtazapine.
I dunno why, cos it doesn't feel like it really helps.

andyinbrigg
23-11-10, 16:50
Im on Mirtazipine 45mg, Propranolol 40mg twice daily and pregabalin 150mg tds.

and still i panic! does anyone have experience of the pregabalin? i know propranolol helps with the physical issues....

leetoy
24-11-10, 16:50
I've just been put on this drug and am having a rough time bedding it it is good to see some people have good results with this. I will wait a little longer to see if it beds is as it's only day three.