PDA

View Full Version : Zero Cases Today in NZ but ....

WiseMonkey
04-05-20, 02:55
This is the first day there has been zero confirmed new case in New Zealand but this is not the end of Covid19's very, very long tail. The Director General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield acknowledges that there could be other cases arise, but the critical issue is that they can be traced to existing cases or clusters. So far extensive community testing has revealed no cases of Covid19 and the testing continues ...

We are currently now at Alert Level 3 (after being at Level 4 lockdown for 5 weeks) and may be moving to Alert Level 2 after next week, depending on how many new Covid19 cases arise and how well people are continuing to practice social distancing. I must admit, dropping levels is rather scary!! :scared15:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12329400

MyNameIsTerry
04-05-20, 04:55
It's still a positive milestone for you guys and worth celebrating. It's bound to go up & down but if it's within expected tolerances you've got stability at a low level and a good trend showing it's well contained. And I hope it stays low for you.

It's a light at the end of the tunnel we are eagerly waiting for and it gives us hope seeing other countries pull through it. And our lot can learn from other governments rather than keep reinventing the wheel.

WiseMonkey
04-05-20, 06:55
Yes, this comes at the 17th day of having single digit numbers of new cases so seeing a 0 has been worth the wait. Personally I'd like to see 0 for two weeks before moving down a level. I know Queensland (a northern state of Australia) is seeing a very similar pattern to NZ. Going hard and early has certainly paid off for us so far and we hope it continues that way :)

The PM talked more about it this afternoon https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12329479

fishman65
04-05-20, 18:44
I think that's a brilliant achievement from you guys WM!! Like Terry says it gives the rest of us hope, something we could do with right now here in a very uncertain UK.

Carys
04-05-20, 19:47
I'd be the same as you WM, I'd want longer with 0...a month or so LOL, I can understand the concerns about dropping levels entirely.

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 00:11
I'd be the same as you WM, I'd want longer with 0...a month or so LOL, I can understand the concerns about dropping levels entirely.

We have a prominent psychologist Nigel Latta and he says it's perfectly natural for us to feel anxious when dropping levels, after being in lockdown. He also says its much better to be cautious than gung-ho. It's also the fear of going backwards and ending back at Level 4 (lockdown). On Thursday our PM will give more information of what happens at Level 2.

At present our daily highlight is watching the General Director of Health and PM give their updates :)

Fishmanpa
05-05-20, 00:38
You're fortunate to have a Prime Minister that many other leaders could learn from.

Positive thoughts

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 01:47
You're fortunate to have a Prime Minister that many other leaders could learn from. Positive thoughts

Yes our PM Jacinda Ardern is receiving accolades from many other countries and we are very proud of her and what she's helped us achieve during this time. I'm a long standing Labour (left) supporter and IMO she's one of the best PM's we've had and undoubtedly the best person to take charge in a national crisis. Credit also goes our Director General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield who's intelligence, expertise and foresight are next to none ... they make a dynamic duo :yesyes:

We have a voting system here called MMP (mixed member proportional representation) https://elections.nz/democracy-in-nz/what-is-mmp/ and in the 2017 election Labour got in by the skin of their teeth (with the help of another party). There are elections coming up in September so I'm hoping our PM will have a second term in office, if elections were held today, I know she would. Due to her performance (and high profile) during this pandemic, a lot of National supporters have switched parties. She's very popular among the younger voters, being only 39 herself.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12329587 (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12329587)

PS. our second day of zero confirmed cases (05/05/2020) :)

MyNameIsTerry
05-05-20, 05:01
I like the ability to vote for the party and separately for a candidate. What I don't like is party lists as, certainly over here, all that would do is stuff cronies into Parliament with no say by the electorate (which is what we already see when it comes to forming a government) and it would lead to vote rigging (not that we don't see this here under the use of Whips and manipulation of candidates to stand) as only party yes men would be voting for change. Plus party members can be completely at odds with their own voters (see our own Labour).

In a more honest society it's a good system. Which means it will never work with our politicians :whistles:

Do you think they will hold the vote this close to all this? It's good for her as right now she is a very figure. But do you think there will be negative economic fallout to come which she might be, potentially unfairly, tainted by?

NZ do look to have done an outstanding job though. I would agree about wanting more zero days yet before committing to change but it does appear you guys are leading on the way out of all this.

I think we are in this for a longer haul. The economic damage is largely secondary right now but as the months pass by and peak seasons are missed people are going to go under. I wonder how this will be reduced and how we will even pay for it in years to come.

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 06:54
There's definitely going to be an economic down turn here in NZ but maybe not as bad as some other countries. The PM has reiterated this many times, that by doing the hard yards to begin with, we'd come out quicker and the recovery would be easier. The govt. has paid out billions (through the reserve bank) to support workers and businesses during the lockdown period, paying 80% of their wage. Tourism will take a big hit as it makes up a significant portion of the economy and many businesses like restaurants and pubs (linked to tourism) will go under. On the plus side NZ is a large food producer so we can feed our nation and provide for others. I think we will see more small businesses spring up with local support.
The PM is already in talks with the Australian PM about creating a trans- Tasman- bubble, where we can share trade and tourism, this is in the future and will take a lot of negotiating as Australia has 6 separate states all doing their own thing!

I'm sure there will be the usual National party attack dogs out in force as election time draws near. She (PM) has been asked about whether the election date will be shifted and she's said she's focused on eliminating Covid19 at present. I've heard nothing from the National Party on this subject either. Their leader Simon Bridges (who's a new candidate) has a habit of saying some right things but at the wrong time, he certainly hasn't got the force of personally the PM has. Jacinda Ardern previously worked as a researcher in Helen Clark's office (NZ Labour PM 1997-2008) so has a wealth of experience.

Yes, I think Britain will be in for a much longer haul, also the US and many European countries, especially if they get a second wave of Covid19. It's pretty certain there will be a world wide recession even if there is a vaccine available within 18 months. Scary times, but hopefully some positive changes will come out of this mess :unsure:

pulisa
05-05-20, 08:12
How is NZ dealing with demand for treatment for non-Covid related illnesses, WM? Are services still available or have most of your health resources been channelled into eliminating CV?

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 09:29
How is NZ dealing with demand for treatment for non-Covid related illnesses, WM? Are services still available or have most of your health resources been channelled into eliminating CV?

Some elective surgery has been put on hold but any other non-Covid related illnesses that are critical are going ahead as usual. So far there have only been a maximum of 15 people with Covid19 in hospitals around the country. One elective surgery department here on the North Shore, Auckland is in a separate building from the main hospital so that was used for Covid19 patients only, in this way there would be no cross-over or transference of patients or staff which is ideal.
I actually believe the hospitals were expecting a lot more people with Covid19 to require hospital treatment than there has been. So those that do end up in hospital are given the very best treatment.

In saying this, many staff have been seconded by the DHB's into centres for testing and contact tracing etc which is ongoing.

The PM and Dr Bloomfield have been encouraging people to keep their regular appointments and seek treatment but the problem is that people have been putting off going because of the fear of catching the virus. I guess it will settle down once we go Alert Level 2.

Carys
05-05-20, 10:35
Yes our PM Jacinda Ardern is receiving accolades from many other countries and we are very proud of her and what she's helped us achieve during this time.

Shes an amazing woman, my daughter and I have been following her and watching some her speeches in the last couple of years. She is a perfect leader in our eyes (except not ours and thats not perfect lol). :)

There is some talk/debate on the medical grapevine that different countries have had such different outcomes as the strains of Covid-19 are more severe in some countires, less severe in others, and that some countries (possibly UK) are seeing vast differences in types of cases as there are multiple strains. Anyone else seen anything on this ?

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 12:35
Shes an amazing woman, my daughter and I have been following her and watching some her speeches in the last couple of years. She is a perfect leader in our eyes (except not ours and thats not perfect lol). :)

There is some talk/debate on the medical grapevine that different countries have had such different outcomes as the strains of Covid-19 are more severe in some countires, less severe in others, and that some countries (possibly UK) are seeing vast differences in types of cases as there are multiple strains. Anyone else seen anything on this ?

I hadn't heard anything about the above but my fiance recently read an article attaining to this and the jury's still out. Here's the link https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/asia/coronavirus-spread-where-why.html I still think social distancing (and isolation) is the most important factor in the fight against Covid19.

Yes, we love our daily dose of Jacinda Ardern whether a press conference or on Facebook. She has a large following on FB of people from around the world. I recently found out that she once lived in London where she worked as a senior policy advisor for British PM Tony Blair in the UK Cabinet Office and then was seconded to the Home Office to assist with a review of policing in England and Wales. Now I know why she was so successful in getting 5 million NZers into lockdown! :)

pulisa
05-05-20, 14:28
She may be Flavour of the Month now but one false move and she'll be pilloried. That's the nature of politics as Jeremy Corbyn will testify!

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 19:29
She may be Flavour of the Month now but one false move and she'll be pilloried. That's the nature of politics as Jeremy Corbyn will testify!

Yep, that's correct and why she's so focused on taking her time, through these different alert levels. She commented in a speech, shes a perfectionist and wants to get it right first time and not have to go back to lockdown again.

pulisa
05-05-20, 19:39
Fingers crossed for a Covid-free NZ to welcome your daughter's little one into the world!

Pamplemousse
05-05-20, 19:54
Fingers crossed for a Covid-free NZ to welcome your daughter's little one into the world!

Best wishes from me too!

WiseMonkey
05-05-20, 20:09
Aww, thanks you guys, I haven't been able to see her for 6 weeks but she's shown me her baby bump via video etc. She'll be working from home until baby arrives in late July then she gets paid parental leave for 26 weeks, which the Labour govt. introduced 2 years ago. Lots of lockdown knitting going on in our household :wub:

pulisa
05-05-20, 20:19
Aww, thanks you guys, I haven't been able to see her for 6 weeks but she's shown me her baby bump via video etc. She'll be working from home until baby arrives in late July then she gets paid parental leave for 26 weeks, which the Labour govt. introduced 2 years ago. Lots of lockdown knitting going on in our household :wub:

A Granny's prerogative!!

WiseMonkey
06-05-20, 02:43
Two new confirmed cases in NZ today ... both related to known clusters ... the long tail of Covid19 continues.

Carys
06-05-20, 10:36
Yup, times are unsettling aren't they. I/my family started lockdown two weeks before the UK govt announced it as being necessary, I think I stated this somewhere else - as there was evidence around that we were at the point of needing to do so. I so wish our govt had acted quicker and more strongly at the start, especially as we have a large population, are so crushed in on this island and a hub for international travel. CAn I come to NZ please ?

Lolalee1
06-05-20, 10:43
We had none in my State:yesyes:Do you let in International travellers in UK?our borders have been closed since March except for mercy flights for aussies too come home then they go into isolation for 14 days

Pamplemousse
06-05-20, 11:35
Do you let in International travellers in UK?

Yes, we do and with no checks or quarantine. They're talking about quarantine, but it won't happen.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/05/18000000-people-entered-uk-without-quarantine-january-march-12657384/

Lolalee1
06-05-20, 11:47
Geezus that is so wrong,know wonder UK and Trumpville have the highest Covid deaths,bloody madness not closing the borders. That is bloody madness WTF..Well Pample you stay safe amongst all the craziness.xx

Pamplemousse
06-05-20, 13:52
Geezus that is so wrong,know wonder UK and Trumpville have the highest Covid deaths,bloody madness not closing the borders. That is bloody madness WTF..Well Pample you stay safe amongst all the craziness.xx

I am trying my best, although this last couple of days my HA has got markedly worse. I have decided to not buy anything online from now on (except groceries), keep a couple of boxes on hand under the letterbox to quarantine post in for a week, no takeaway deliveries and not to leave the house at all after tomorrow, when I have to collect my medicines.

And if I feel staying in bed all day is best for me, that is what I will do.

pulisa
06-05-20, 13:59
There's just been a feature on the news about people's increasing anxiety re a relaxation of the lockdown. It's all a huge mess and we must do what we have to do to keep mentally stable, Pamplemousse. You take good care of yourself..and keep well!

WiseMonkey
07-05-20, 02:46
This is what will be happening when we in (NZ) move down to Alert Level 2 and can leave our bubble (hopefully Thursday next week May 14) ...
Definitely worth a watch, intro by Dr Ashley Bloomfield....https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12330222

PS. only 1 confirmed new case today from an existing cluster :)

Pamplemousse
07-05-20, 09:17
Now, compare your approach with the UK approach where despite over 6,000 new cases yesterday and nearly 700 deaths there is talk of relaxing our LINO (Lockdown In Name Only) on Monday to get the economy going as the "super thinkers" are saying that the NHS can cope with the current level of cases and deaths so there's no reason not to get people back to work.

Lolalee1
07-05-20, 10:16
Geezus.That is bloody madness with the US and UK with the highest cases and deaths and just worrying over the god almighty dollar?crazy.:wtf1::curse:

Lencoboy
07-05-20, 10:35
Now, compare your approach with the UK approach where despite over 6,000 new cases yesterday and nearly 700 deaths there is talk of relaxing our LINO (Lockdown In Name Only) on Monday to get the economy going as the "super thinkers" are saying that the NHS can cope with the current level of cases and deaths so there's no reason not to get people back to work.

The trouble is, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

And one plausible reason for the sudden jump in confirmed cases here yesterday is probably due to the way our stats are compiled being chopped and changed for the umpteenth time, rather than a sudden jump in actual new infections. The same things are often done with say, the crime and unemployment stats every few years. What seems plausible one minute seems virtually meaningless the next. No wonder many people feel confused.

Pamplemousse
07-05-20, 11:05
Geezus.That is bloody madness with the US and UK with the highest cases and deaths and just worrying over the god almighty dollar?crazy.:wtf1::curse:

In one. The Tory press fawned over Sunak's measures to bolster the economy when this first happened - and now they're about to find out the harsh reality of it all. The UK is forecast to be hit very hard by the economics of this but as Tories are in power, don't expect any direct taxation to rise (which is long overdue in this country). It'll be - as always - the least able to help themselves that will get hit the hardest. Of course, there'll always be Tory deflectors saying "well, how would Labour have handled it better?" but my answer is "Irrelevant. You won the election, get over it. Now own your $h1t."

Lencoboy
07-05-20, 11:16
In one. The Tory press fawned over Sunak's measures to bolster the economy when this first happened - and now they're about to find out the harsh reality of it all. The UK is forecast to be hit very hard by the economics of this but as Tories are in power, don't expect any direct taxation to rise (which is long overdue in this country). It'll be - as always - the least able to help themselves that will get hit the hardest. Of course, there'll always be Tory deflectors saying "well, how would Labour have handled it better?" but my answer is "Irrelevant. You won the election, get over it. Now own your $h1t."

The inevitable 'blame game' awaits!!

And like we've said on here before, many right-wingers are still blaming Labour for the last downturn of 2008-11, which was actually a worldwide phenomenon.

Pamplemousse
07-05-20, 11:32
[/B]The inevitable 'blame game' awaits!!

And like we've said on here before, many right-wingers are still blaming Labour for the last downturn of 2008-11, which was actually a worldwide phenomenon.

Oh, it's already started. To quote the Times:

Rishi Sunak to cut coronavirus furlough scheme: fears in government that Britain is ‘addicted’ to wage subsidy

WiseMonkey
07-05-20, 13:18

Unfortunately, that's it in a nutshell plus many mixed messages from the top creates much confusion!

Pamplemousse: Those figures are mind boggling and terrifying! Is LINO for real? :ohmy: If so it's another mixed message and no wonder the populace is confused, everyone should be in an enforced lockdown and refuse to go back to work! Is the govt. prepared to take responsibility for their irresponsible decision making which is costing lives, how can they live with that burden? Even now they could shut the country down, close the borders and isolate :wall:
Sadly I've heard a prediction that up to 50,000 UK lives could be lost before this is through :mad:

Pamplemousse
07-05-20, 13:25
Pamplemousse: Those figures are mind boggling and terrifying! Is LINO for real? :ohmy: If so it's another mixed message and no wonder the populace is confused, everyone should be in an enforced lockdown and refuse to go back to work! Is the govt. prepared to take responsibility for their irresponsible decision making which is costing lives, how can they live with that burden? Even now they could shut the country down, close the borders and isolate :wall:
Sadly I've heard a prediction that up to 50,000 UK lives could be lost before this is through :mad:

LINO is my description for it. You have to remember we're governed by a load of fabulously rich Oxbridge graduates who all think playing politics is just a bit of a giggle really. They don't have any conscience whatsoever and sleep soundly at night, insulated by wealth from the realities of life for ordinary people. And no, they'll take no responsibility for it - you only have to look how fast that creep Cameron shot out of office after the Brexit vote didn't go the way he expected.

Tories do not care for anyone but themselves: sometimes they'll say "I want what's best for my family" but it's a smokescreen - they want what's best for themselves.

The loss of 50,000 lives is optimistic - I think it will be closer to 250,000.

And what are people doing? Putting up bunting to commemorate something that happened 75 years ago. Britain: always looking backwards, never forwards. Oh, and a singer lost a load of weight so that's front page news on the tabloids. That's Britain today.

Keep The Lockdown on Twitter (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepTheLockdown&src=trend_click)

Lencoboy
07-05-20, 15:13
[QUOTE=Pamplemousse;1947148]LINO is my description for it. You have to remember we're governed by a load of fabulously rich Oxbridge graduates who all think playing politics is just a bit of a giggle really. They don't have any conscience whatsoever and sleep soundly at night, insulated by wealth from the realities of life for ordinary people. And no, they'll take no responsibility for it - you only have to look how fast that creep Cameron shot out of office after the Brexit vote didn't go the way he expected.

Tories do not care for anyone but themselves: sometimes they'll say "I want what's best for my family" but it's a smokescreen - they want what's best for themselves.

And what are people doing? Putting up bunting to commemorate something that happened 75 years ago. Britain: always looking backwards, never forwards. Oh, and a singer lost a load of weight so that's front page news on the tabloids. That's Britain today.

Keep The Lockdown on Twitter (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepTheLockdown&src=trend_click)[/QUOTE

And left his successors to face the music.

Ironically, the reason why he called that darned referendum in the first place was some kind of 'gimmick' to save his party from losing votes, not because he truly believed in leaving the EU himself. Political suicide if you ask me.

By the same token I thought last December's 'snap' general election was also a total waste of time.

MyNameIsTerry
07-05-20, 21:22
Cameron was never for leaving the EU. Despite his 'I won't quit if we vote Leave' speech before he quit immediately falsely claiming he couldn't be in charge of it...because he was a Remainer. My thinking was by doing what the people decided he could have been seen positively as opposed to yet another self serving politician. Now he is known as a coward.

He was faced with watching his party continue to slip because of the EU argument that Farage had been adding to very successfully. But dont think Farage is the reason because this had been growing for many years in various ways. People further north had seen the prosperous south happy in the EU whilst they watched their regions decline (which obviously dates much further back).

Even Blair used it to get votes and then decided not to push forward with it.

Some of Cameron's last GE voters came because he put the referendum into his campaign. His failure was then not being the usual political con man so many are when he allowed a vote. But I think he had painted himself into a corner by then. It was his party or the question.

But dont think it shouldn't have been held. It was long overdue. There was failure on all sides to even draft that legislation properly, because those parties expected to win, and in the campaigns to deliver accurate information. Even years many MP's across various parties have contradicted EU legislation that I had easily accessed.

It's probably the only vote in my lifetime worth turning up for. Everything else is just more of the same or so it seems in my area...

MyNameIsTerry
07-05-20, 21:26
By the same token I thought last December's 'snap' general election was also a total waste of time.

Yes, but how would anything have got done with a Parliament that simply wouldn't agree enough votes to pass anything? The closest was Clarke's option and even that failed. Only political bribery would have got enough defecting votes to pass anything.

But Clarke's option would have poured petrol on the referendum and only started it up again with a much large number of annoyed voters (considering even Remain voters were saying the vote should be honoured).

WiseMonkey
07-05-20, 22:44
LINO is my description for it. You have to remember we're governed by a load of fabulously rich Oxbridge graduates who all think playing politics is just a bit of a giggle really. They don't have any conscience whatsoever and sleep soundly at night, insulated by wealth from the realities of life for ordinary people. And no, they'll take no responsibility for it - you only have to look how fast that creep Cameron shot out of office after the Brexit vote didn't go the way he expected.

Keep The Lockdown on Twitter (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepTheLockdown&src=trend_click)

We really do live in a parallel universe, where there are these alien beings who's thoughts and actions defy any shred of logic, reason or empathy for others. They're just locked into their own world of thinking.
In regards to Covid19, herd immunity is a prime example. I read that some in the US are throwing Covid parties and I'm betting most of them would be supporters of the anti-vaxxer crowd (the parents who basically don't give a rats bum about their children's health as long as it sits with their own twisted sense of reality.)

*Please don't get me started on the measles debate, I'm an old teacher and have seen a thing or two in this regard!

Pamplemousse
07-05-20, 23:43
There was a middle-class thing here in the UK of "chicken pox parties" where nice mummies and daddies brought their children to play with an infected child on the basis it was better they caught it sooner rather than later. I don't know if it still goes on but back in 1970 when I had it my parents kept me indoors, away from everybody and told me off for picking at the scabs!

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 00:06
There was a middle-class thing here in the UK of "chicken pox parties" where nice mummies and daddies brought their children to play with an infected child on the basis it was better they caught it sooner rather than later. I don't know if it still goes on but back in 1970 when I had it my parents kept me indoors, away from everybody and told me off for picking at the scabs!

Yep, another example of twisted thinking and alternative reality ... they've been around for decades :mad:

PS. 2 more confirmed Covid19 cases today (08/05/2020) linked to know clusters. 4 of the 16 clusters have now been closed after no more cases testing positive after 2 cycles (28 days). 90% of those with Covid19 are now recovered. The long tail of Covid19 continues ...

MyNameIsTerry
08-05-20, 04:18

That was going on in more recent decades as well under a more general immunity building banner. But there was the opposite where scared parents isolated their children from disease thinking it would protect them rather than build natural immunity.

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 05:16
That was going on in more recent decades as well under a more general immunity building banner. But there was the opposite where scared parents isolated their children from disease thinking it would protect them rather than build natural immunity.

Yep, my mother was one of the 'cotton wool club' so when I started school I caught everything under the sun. As a result it was 2 weeks at school then 2 weeks off sick (often with bronchitis) it was one of the reasons we came to NZ.
When we were in England, she never let me play with any children she deemed as rough ie were poorer that we were (she had NPD) but when we came to NZ the class distinction wasn't noticeable so that made life somewhat easier, plus my health improved tenfold :)

Lencoboy
08-05-20, 15:40
Yep, my mother was one of the 'cotton wool club' so when I started school I caught everything under the sun. As a result it was 2 weeks at school then 2 weeks off sick (often with bronchitis) it was one of the reasons we came to NZ.
When we were in England, she never let me play with any children she deemed as rough ie were poorer that we were (she had NPD) but when we came to NZ the class distinction wasn't noticeable so that made life somewhat easier, plus my health improved tenfold :)

I really hope this current CV pandemic doesn't open a can of worms when and where every single ailment known to mankind ends up becoming stigmatised and leads to intense moral panics throughout society at large. Especially all the hysteria over, say, Norovirus almost every flippin' autumn-winter. Surely NV (and most certainly its key symptoms) have existed since time immemorial, and I have always known people falling ill with vomiting-related bugs for as long as I have been on this planet, but I never remember such big deals being made out of them until about 20 years ago at the earliest. And there was hardly ever a dickie bird in the media about it prior to then, unlike today, of course, where it's expressed in such emotive, apocalyptic language (the Daily Depress being one of the worst offenders IMO)!!

fishman65
08-05-20, 19:42
I remember getting the flu most winters when I was in my teens/20s. Two weeks spent mostly in bed, various symptoms i.e fever, chills, aching, sometimes gastric too. I also got mumps when I was 18, it felt much like the flu but I got the p taken from my mates on account of the sterility risk. Though having a 21 year old daughter put that theory to bed.

dorabella
08-05-20, 21:31
I was vaccinated for everything (MMR as a child, TB at 14 years) - born in the 60s but my mum was no cotton wool shielder. Never had chickenpox as a child - caught it when I was 31 from a CHILD!

As for winter bugs, I haven't had any thing for the last 5 winters - until this year. Had two doses within a month of something that looking back on it now, smacks of mild COVID. Hardly surprising when you consider that I work on a university campus in central London - coincided with the return of students from winter breaks - lots of Chinese students on campus as well. Coincidence??

I don't have a problem with vaccinating per se but if you can build up natural immunity and fight off whatever comes along, so much the better. Perhaps our children would be better off if they all ate worms - I was constantly grubby in the garden as a child.

MyNameIsTerry
08-05-20, 21:43
I was vaccinated for everything (MMR as a child, TB at 14 years) - born in the 60s but my mum was no cotton wool shielder. Never had chickenpox as a child - caught it when I was 31 from a CHILD!

As for winter bugs, I haven't had any thing for the last 5 winters - until this year. Had two doses within a month of something that looking back on it now, smacks of mild COVID. Hardly surprising when you consider that I work on a university campus in central London - coincided with the return of students from winter breaks - lots of Chinese students on campus as well. Coincidence??

I don't have a problem with vaccinating per se but if you can build up natural immunity and fight off whatever comes along, so much the better. Perhaps our children would be better off if they all ate worms - I was constantly grubby in the garden as a child.

We had to build up that type of immunity from worms so we could face the school dinners :yesyes:

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 23:46
We had to build up that type of immunity from worms so we could face the school dinners :yesyes:

Oh yes, I remember those disgusting school dinners when I went to school in Lowestoft :emot-puke: When I got to NZ we brought our own lunchboxes to school :)

dorabella
08-05-20, 23:56
School dinners in the 60s were revolting - plain unseasoned grub and lots of cabbage and rubbery ox liver from I remember - but on the positive side no processed food then and turkey twizzlers hadn't been invented. Must have stood us in good stead growing up on that diet. A lot like worms really......

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 00:49
School dinners in the 60s were revolting - plain unseasoned grub and lots of cabbage and rubbery ox liver from I remember - but on the positive side no processed food then and turkey twizzlers hadn't been invented. Must have stood us in good stead growing up on that diet. A lot like worms really......

I seem to recall a ghastly meat pudding with watery vegetables and the smell in the school dining hall was enough to put you off to start with! We left UK in 1964.

PS. 2 more confirmed Covid19 cases today linked to existing clusters .........

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-20, 04:11
Don't forget the semolina :emot-puke:

Yes, at least it wasn't the cheapest overprocessed stuff the budget could squeeze and no Jamie Oliver making it worse.

I tended to get sandwiches so I was lucky.

It wasn't all bad but it was pretty basic.

pulisa
09-05-20, 08:29
My worst nightmare was pease pudding and butter beans. We weren't allowed to leave any food (including gristle or tubes in rubbery liver) so I used to scoop a load of debris into my school briefcase in order to escape the trauma of being made to stand in front of the class chewing the awful bits...When I was in the final year I volunteered to serve meals so that I could "doctor" my own plate..

Not sure what would be made of such a practice now..!!

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 09:06
My worst nightmare was pease pudding and butter beans. We weren't allowed to leave any food (including gristle or tubes in rubbery liver) so I used to scoop a load of debris into my school briefcase in order to escape the trauma of being made to stand in front of the class chewing the awful bits...When I was in the final year I volunteered to serve meals so that I could "doctor" my own plate.. Not sure what would be made of such a practice now..!!

Schools in England were very draconian and scary! The first one I went to was private in Ipswich which was OK but the toilets were some sort of outside set up (not even septic tank)! The second was a state school in Lowestoft and was run by 2 sadistic sisters, when you were naughty (as they deemed) they used to make you take off your slipper (a type of indoor shoe) and whack you with it, humiliation was the name of their game, I was so terrified. One time I was hauled into the headmistress office because I'd blocked up a toilet (I was unwell) and I was so terrified I vomited and passed out! I was 6 years old and had caught gastroenteritis :emot-puke:

When I came to NZ it was totally different, the teachers were kind and friendly. Only older boys who were really naughty got the strap.

Pamplemousse
09-05-20, 10:22
I seem to recall a ghastly meat pudding with watery vegetables and the smell in the school dining hall was enough to put you off to start with! We left UK in 1964.

You left the UK the year I was born.

I was lucky; I lived close enough to home to return for meals at lunchtime as my mother seldom worked but on the occasions she did, I had a lovely great-aunt who lived directly opposite one of the village schools :)

Are you referring to plimsolls, WM?

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 10:33
You left the UK the year I was born.

I was lucky; I lived close enough to home to return for meals at lunchtime as my mother seldom worked but on the occasions she did, I had a lovely great-aunt who lived directly opposite one of the village schools :)

Are you referring to plimsolls, WM?

Yes, plimsolls (I'd forgotten the name) but it was called 'getting the slipper' when you got smacked ... luckily I didn't get it. I wonder if plimsolls are still worn on school in UK?In NZ children just wear their usual shoes in class or else socks or bare feet :)

Pamplemousse
09-05-20, 11:15
Yes, plimsolls (I'd forgotten the name) but it was called 'getting the slipper' when you got smacked ... luckily I didn't get it. I wonder if plimsolls are still worn on school in UK?In NZ children just wear their usual shoes in class or else socks or bare feet :)

I know - I had one across my backside more than once! It was the step down from the cane.

Lencoboy
09-05-20, 12:47
Most ironic that I mentioned 'opening a can of worms' in my previous post on this thread, and the thing about kids casually eating worms whilst playing out (especially before the 80s), and all the stuff about past school traumas coming out in the wash!!

Probably won't be long until some smart alec pipes up with the typical 'never did me any harm' and 'kids today have no respect' mantras. Apart from CP being outlawed from 1986 onwards, many of those horrible things many of you have mentioned were still going on at the schools I attended back in the 80s and early 90s and people with learning disabilities especially (I have Asperger's Syndrome) were often fair game for many of those awful treatments, so they never made me have any respect for authority whatsoever, and most certainly did me much more harm than good, as I developed a severe eating disorder from the age of 7 due to being force-fed cheese and potato pie at the school I was attending back in the summer of 1984, which eventually resulted in me having to attend a residential school from 1986-88, where I had to endure even more inhumane treatments from certain staff members, who obviously had a bit of a screw loose themselves, but rarely ever got bullied by other pupils there. And don't even get me started on horrible toilet facilities!!

Why certain individuals constantly get pangs of nostalgia for those times is totally beyond me. Good old days my backside!!

Lolalee1
09-05-20, 12:55
They weren’t good old days for me I was picked on constantly by who I was,had my head flushed in the toilet every bloody day for 3 months I can go on but won’t :mad:

WM we had no recorded cases today.:yesyes:

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 13:10
They weren’t good old days for me I was picked on constantly by who I was,had my head flushed in the toilet every bloody day for 3 months I can go on but won’t :mad:

WM we had no recorded cases today.:yesyes:

Awful school days for me also until I arrived in NZ, and then I didn't get toey until I hit fifteen!!

Hey Ms L wahoo :emot-cheering: ... hope you can get another tomorrow, we got 2 zeros in a row before slipping back to 2's :blush: On a positive note, 7,000 tests were done on Thursday and not one turned up positive for community spread :)

Lencoboy
09-05-20, 13:25
All this talk of food brings back memories of Boarding school, I suffered terrible homesickness and was always in trouble.I got detention for a week and not aloud home for the weekend because I told the head teacher the food was shit.
Oh they were the days.:D

That just reminds me of this male member of staff at the residential school I attended who was a sadistic nutjob , who ducked me under the water in the swimming pool as a punishment (I still remember the exact date; Monday 23rd June 1986) because I 'grassed' on him to my parents about his seemingly rough antics in the pool and he said 'Do you want to see what it's really like underwater?'

He wasn't even my house group leader, mine was a female who blatantly admitted she didn't believe in CP, but she was still present at that particular swimming session and seemed to grant him carte-blanche to dish out that crazy punishment. He was also the leader of an on-site Cub Scout Pack at the school, and a few months later he physically restrained another kid who suddenly flipped out at another kid during the one Tuesday evening Cubs session. That same male staff member (in the role of the Akela, the Cub Pack leader) instantly turned into a raving lunatic, flew across the hall and leapt on top of the kid who was having a meltdown following the argument with the other kid in his 'six' and almost broke his arm during the melee, and almost sounded as though he was strangling the poor kid. It was most unpleasant to witness and that bloke most certainly wanted arresting at the time.

I still have a severe hatred of that man (whose name I won't dare mention, nor the name of the school, even all these years later) and I am still having fantasies in my head about seriously damaging him right now as I type this, even though I am not actually a violent and aggressive person and I really deplore violence and aggression in the real world, but that man most certainly ruined my life, and no doubt those of many other pupils who were there at the same time and at the mercy of his madness!!

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-20, 16:29
Ive noticed the trend for new cases in my city has slowed right down recently. That includes the care home cases so it's a very good sign. Also the deaths have halted.

Lencoboy
09-05-20, 16:46
Ive noticed the trend for new cases in my city has slowed right down recently. That includes the care home cases so it's a very good sign. Also the deaths have halted.

That's good Terry.

I often find the daily stats for both deaths and new CV infections dubious at worst, not just due to the endless chopping and changing of the ways they are compiled, but also due to their allegedly counting previously-unrecorded instances of both CV infections and deaths, even from several weeks ago, which is most confusing.

A kind of playing 'catch-up' which appears to artificially inflate the stats and seemingly at random on certain days. That's why I don't take each daily count at face value anymore, though I still continue to stick to the existing rules in place.

Pamplemousse
09-05-20, 16:57

Not so here: ten new cases in the last week, three new deaths.

Where do you get your city-based death stats, Terry? New cases I pull from the CSV data, but deaths I can't find?

fishman65
09-05-20, 19:07
Don't forget the semolina :emot-puke:
Hang on a minute. I liked semolina, still do.

Talking of the sadistic teachers, I was slippered on four separate occasions and caned once. The cane was from head of French. He said to myself and this other lad, 'You two, are going to get the cane at the end of this lesson'. In a calm and measured manner, like he was relishing it. In front of the class too and making us wait an hour, talk about evil. Some teachers were clearly sociopathic, some were strict but fair while others got walked over by the kids.

I left school in 1981, was just glad to get away from there. In 1991 it closed, by 1994 it had been bulldozed and now its a housing estate.

Lencoboy
09-05-20, 20:02

Talking of the sadistic teachers, I was slippered on four separate occasions and caned once. The cane was from head of French. He said to myself and this other lad, 'You two, are going to get the cane at the end of this lesson'. In a calm and measured manner, like he was relishing it. In front of the class too and making us wait an hour, talk about evil. Some teachers were clearly sociopathic, some were strict but fair while others got walked over by the kids.

I left school in 1981, was just glad to get away from there. In 1991 it closed, by 1994 it had been bulldozed and now its a housing estate.

I'm really glad that so far no one on here seems to be pining for the return of such barbaric and inhumane treatment in today's schools. I'm not denying there are 'problem' kids in many schools today, but sadly they seem to get the most media attention and the well-behaved and respectful kids rarely seem to get the credit they truly deserve.

I clearly remember back in September 2011, in the wake of the previous month's city riots, David Cameron and Co were contemplating the reinstatement of school corporal punishment (that had been outlawed 25 years earlier) as one possible means of fixing 'Broken Britain', but thankfully it never got voted through Parliament, and was rightly condemned as a quick-fix 'knee-jerk response'. IMO it would have just inflamed already-volatile situations in certain schools where the pupils would have spent more time brawling with the teachers (and vice versa) than them actually learning anything, and of course, provoke a resurgence of the 'slap-happy' culture that was once common within such establishments, especially the classical sadistic, nonce case PE teachers.

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-20, 21:26
Not so here: ten new cases in the last week, three new deaths.

Where do you get your city-based death stats, Terry? New cases I pull from the CSV data, but deaths I can't find?

I've been meaning to look at that link you posted.

I've just been going off the post code search on the BBC page. Originally it only showed confirmed cases but in the last week or so they have added deaths to it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-51768274

I'm just glad I'm no longer seeing 50 cases a day. It was hard to look at deaths as the local media were going off hospital data that spanned other areas because they are a combined trust. It made it feel worse than it probably was as some of the hospitals were further into areas of the West Midlands that have been harder hit.

dorabella
09-05-20, 22:17
I've been keeping an eye on the same webpage of West Midlands stats (where most my family are) and north London (where I am) and the numbers of new diagnoses and mortality seem to have levelled off. Despite increased testing in hospitals, care homes and general community, it looks like the Wesr Midlands and London are both past the peak and generally decreasing ... despite the idiots still refusing the observe social distancing....

Strongly suspect the main hotspots are care homes, and health workers in hospitals and care homes who are probably inadvertently moving the virus back and forth in the community and in their family environments. To be expected I suppose.

WiseMonkey
10-05-20, 02:56
Another 2 confirmed Covid19 cases today, one from an existing cluster and one from a recently returned Kiwi from India (in quarantine), the long tail continues ....:huh:

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-20, 04:21

That explains supporting Everton then :winks:

Lencoboy
10-05-20, 09:19
Strange how these CV threads seem to taper off into other things, like our past traumatic experiences at school and also football.

I'm not complaining though, especially as other non-CV related threads in this forum are mostly (and understandably) being overlooked in favour of these CV threads ATM.

Pamplemousse
10-05-20, 13:54
I've been meaning to look at that link you posted.

I've just been going off the post code search on the BBC page. Originally it only showed confirmed cases but in the last week or so they have added deaths to it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-51768274

I'm just glad I'm no longer seeing 50 cases a day. It was hard to look at deaths as the local media were going off hospital data that spanned other areas because they are a combined trust. It made it feel worse than it probably was as some of the hospitals were further into areas of the West Midlands that have been harder hit.

Ah, I didn't realised they'd changed it. Thanks for that.

WiseMonkey
11-05-20, 02:33
We (NZ) are moving to Alert Level 2 on Thursday 14 May...PM Jacinda Ardern talks about the step down...worth a watch :)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12330988

*3 more confirmed Covid19 cases today (11/05/2020), 2 nurses linked to an existing cluster, and another returned Kiwi in quarantine. The 2 nurses have been asymptomatic throughout a stand-down period in self isolation (scary)! *

WiseMonkey
16-06-20, 04:59
Oops! 2 more cases today!! Painful reminder ...

The PM and DGH said there would be more cases but later rather than sooner! Two travelers from the UK came out of quarantine early on compassionate ground to visit a dying relative and tested positive for CV today. They were not tested before the left quarantine, which is essential and were considered low risk!

This highlights the need to stay the 14 day isolation despite the circumstance otherwise CV will get away again. There is just no room for complacency! Grrrrrr!!! Heads need to roll on this exemption :mad:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12340371

Lencoboy
16-06-20, 14:45
Oops! 2 more cases today!! Painful reminder ...

The PM and DGH said there would be more cases but later rather than sooner! Two travelers from the UK came out of quarantine early on compassionate ground to visit a dying relative and tested positive for CV today. They were not tested before the left quarantine, which is essential and were considered low risk!

This highlights the need to stay the 14 day isolation despite the circumstance otherwise CV will get away again. There is just no room for complacency! Grrrrrr!!! Heads need to roll on this exemption :mad:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12340371

Hopefully this won't spiral into a 'name and shame the UK' thing, though I cannot really decide as to whether it's the UK or NZ that is at fault in this particular instance, which is highly debatable ATM.

Hopefully as it is only two cases so far it should be pretty easy to contain provided those two people affected self-isolate for the next fortnight or so.

WiseMonkey
16-06-20, 22:16
Hopefully this won't spiral into a 'name and shame the UK' thing, though I cannot really decide as to whether it's the UK or NZ that is at fault in this particular instance, which is highly debatable ATM.

Hopefully as it is only two cases so far it should be pretty easy to contain provided those two people affected self-isolate for the next fortnight or so.

The women concerned were NZ citizens who'd been living in the UK for many years and decided to come back (which they're entitled to do) to see a dying relative. They had been in quarantine only 6 days before being permitted to travel.

It was completely a NZ Health Dept. cock-up! Someone/s took it upon themselves (likely because we're at Level one) not to test the women before they traveled from Auckland to Wellington! Testing is mandatory when leaving isolation.

It remains to be seen whether any community spread happens because of this breach. All compassionate leave requests from quarantine have now been cancelled and rightly so.