PDA

View Full Version : Attending football, rugby matches

RobertFlyde
05-11-03, 11:12
Does anyone particularly hate big crowds of people??

Ive got a season ticket at Bradford City(Yes we are rubbish at the mo and perhaps going down to division 2)but, I go and watch them every week and the attendance figures are around 11,000-15,000 thousand people every home game. I thought i would be worse going to the games etc, but as yet i have not had a full blown PA at a match and ive attended about 50 games since April 2002 when my PA's started...... I think once the game starts I’m too involved in shouting, singing during the game etc and i never think about PA's at all. I'm just caught up in the emotion of the game!!!!

I just wondered if anyone else goes to sporting fixtures or how people cope with big crowds etc

Take Care

Robert

Meg
05-11-03, 15:31
Hi Robert,

The physical feelings and sensations for anxiety and excitement are very similar. It's just how we interpret them.

At matches - even if you do feel strange your excitement and anticipation will carry you through if you're heavily involved and get in the spirit of it all.

All that shouting and singing is a great destressor in itself...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
05-11-03, 22:48
Hi Robert

I am not so keen on cinemas and theatres but I recently went to see "Joseph" at the theatre. I got an end-of-row seat so I could escape if I needed to!

It took me 30 mins to calm down and then I started enjoying it and the show was great.

What I am saying is that once you get into it you will probably forget about the panic and start enjoying it.

Good luck.

Let us know how it goes

Nicola

RobertFlyde
06-11-03, 09:17
I went to see Peter kay live in Leeds last november and i was exactly the same.... it took me about 30 mins to stop the anxiety etc and enjoy myself..... Ive never laughed so much in my Life!!!!

Robert

em
06-11-03, 16:22
I missed half an hour of finding nemo after taking my daughter to the loo and then not feeling brave enough to go back in the pictures! i'll try to sit on an end seat too in future. Hey Robert just be grateful you're not a Leeds fan then you'd be entitled to panic at the match!

uryjm
08-11-03, 10:28
One of the irritating things about panic is that the more you think about it, the more likely it becomes. So, at a football game, my thought process can go "Hmmmm. Big crowd. It's a wonder I'm not panicky. That's strange. I'm not panicky. If I was, I'd be feeling a bit uncomfortable with all these people around. Actually, I'm becoming a bit uncomfortable when I think about it. Something's not quite right. Maybe it's all these people. God, what if I suddenly lost it and couldn't get out? Wouldn't that be terrible? God, I might be losing it! They'll have to stretcher me out! What will my mates say? Will I be on telly? Oh God, I can hardly breathe....swallowing is difficult....I'm going to faint.....Referee!!!!"
It's exhausting, isn't it?

Jim

kate
08-11-03, 13:04
Jim, I was laughing SO much when I read your post! Everything you say is so true! That is exactly our thinking! Seeing it in print makes you realise how we question panic and then question not panicking! Good post! Kate x

diana
08-11-03, 19:04
Jim, SOOOOOO funny! I am laughing so hard :D. I have said to myself the same exact things. From one extreme to the next in a matter of seconds. My husband plays league soccer, and at one of his games right in the middle of a play, I run out into the middle of the field yelling and screaming we have to go, I gotta get outta here NOW! After the whole embarrassing moment had passed ( of course that was after my husband came off the field) grabbed his things and we left. I suddenly became famished, had to stop and eat, LOL.............. needless to say my husband was less than amused. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!!!

Diana :)