PDA

View Full Version : People have tested positive at my Dad’s work

UserName20
04-05-20, 07:05
I am so beyond terrified right now. Two people my dad has been around at work have tested positive. Now we are all worried sick in the house. I am so scared that I am going to die and I just feel like I am going to lose my mind. I just want to wake up from this nightmare. I feel like I’m going to die

WiseMonkey
04-05-20, 07:19
I am so beyond terrified right now. Two people my dad has been around at work have tested positive. Now we are all worried sick in the house. I am so scared that I am going to die and I just feel like I am going to lose my mind. I just want to wake up from this nightmare. I feel like I’m going to die

Your dad and family should now self isolate and if anyone feels sick they should see the Dr to be tested. Actually, your dad's whole work should be shut down, people should be tested and put in isolation. People should not be out working while the virus is running rampant, they should be isolating at home. Take care.

UserName20
04-05-20, 07:41
That’s what I feel too! However, his work is not shutting down, and the owner did not even bother telling anyone. I feel like that Is so wrong of them.

UserName20
04-05-20, 07:44
I wish we would have known as soon as they found out. I’ve been to the store, being careful of course. But I had absolutely no idea of any of that! Now I’m worried we have all possibly been exposed and it’s just being spread!

Right now none of us have symptoms. We are all just worried sick. I can’t believe his work isn’t even shutting down to clean. I am trying to sleep but it is almost 3:30 AM and I can’t. My heart is pounding in my chest and it’s scaring me.

Tonight was pretty upsetting, a few hours ago I was on the phone with my boyfriend and his friends. My dad burst into the room and randomly started just screaming at me. I spent a good hour or so crying and feeling very embarrassed. My eyes are puffy and my nose is still slightly stuffy from crying. I think my anxiety is just a lot to handle right now. I wish my heart would stop beating so fast so I could get some sleep. My heart is up to 130. I closed my eyes with the reader on my finger and just focused on deep breaths. It went back to 98-103 but as soon as I opened my eyes and looked at the number it climbed back up

NancyW
04-05-20, 11:55
UserName16 here in the US if we feel unsafe as a customer or an employee, we are to call the health department.

If your dad's company is not taking proper measures to protect his employees, that warrants a call.

ankietyjoe
04-05-20, 15:12
It is a shitty situation, but try and remember that even if you do get it, the chances of you actually dying are very, very small.

The most likely scenario is that you're all ill for a couple of weeks.

I know two people who have definitely had it and they're both fine now. One in his 40s, one in his 50s.

The reality is that the vast majority of people it kills would have also died from the flu or even falling over. Not all, but most.

UserName20
04-05-20, 15:41
Thank you both! I’m trying to not myself jump to the death conclusion, especially when we don’t even know if it got passed into my dad. His work had a change of heart this morning and informed them all that they will be shutting down for the next two weeks. I feel like this will be the longest two weeks of my life of trying not to look for symptoms. Now I’m wondering if my throat hurts or if it’s just dry. I Guess the real number is up to 4 including a manager

travelgirl77
04-05-20, 17:45
I know that you are anxious and I completely understand why! I do want to pass on some hopeful information. First, I have a friend who got Covid-19 from her son who returned home from a treatment facility. She had it rough for a period of time, but only she and her son had it, while her young daughter and husband never exhibited symptoms. Second, we have had a handful of people at work who may have had it (not a lot of testing here) and they self-isolated, and are now doing fine. The things is, and it is hard to wrap my head around this, we were all probably incredible exposed to this virus before the shut downs. People have it and we just don't know that they do. I do not know what kind of work your dad does, but I suppose since they are able to close for two weeks it will all get sorted soon.

It is a strange situation to be in because no one wants anyone to get sick, but on the other hand, shutting down is have a huge negative impact on people's finances. I can understand the push and pull of wanting people to be safe and healthy and wanting to continue to work. In my position I have had to furlough 10 people in the last 3 weeks. It is impossible for them to make what is available in unemployment with what they make now. I have cried after each of those phone calls. We do need more testing, antibody testing, and treatments, but I completely sympathize with people who need and want to get back to work. I hope that you and your family continue to be healthy and safe.

UserName20
06-05-20, 04:30
Thank you for your reply! It is always encouraging to hear of others who have had it and recovered and are doing well. I can understand about the work situation. It is really a tough thing going on right now and if seems like thereÂ’s never a win-win.
Tonight I am having some stomach issues and diarrhea. I know that isnÂ’t really a symptom, but I read that can be the first sign. My dad is not sick, nobody is sick at all. My sister is having a horrible time with anxiety. She canÂ’t even sleep. She has been checked by a dr who told her he believes her anxiety is causing symptoms. I am really nervous too, I know I have heard of anxiety messing with the stomach but I am really worried I have it. I think the number of people positive at his work is now 5 or 6. I’m Afraid to even tell my parents I’m having this issue. I know the entire house will freak out. People at his work are getting tested, he said he is too scared to get tested.

UserName20
06-05-20, 05:37
I know one of the guys is completely without symptoms who tested positive. I know it mainly affects the lungs and gives a fever, but I read diarrhea can be the first symptom for some.. I’m not sure what to do but I am afraid and am jumping to the worst conclusion.

UserName20
07-05-20, 22:49
He hasn’t been there since Friday so it has been 6 days now. We are all feeling okay for the most part. I think that upset stomach I had a couple nights ago was just something I ate. I know it can take two weeks but I’ve read that it is usually about 6 days for symptoms to show up. So I am hanging onto that as a sign of hope. I know there have been others who have tested positive there since that first day. There are about 40 people there and I believe there are 6 or 7 positives so far. A few asymptomatics. I’m close to Chicago so we are a bit of a hot spot. For the reopen plan our county is listed with chicago ( cook county ) so there is a lot of backlash. My county only has about 60 cases and we had our our first death today, a man in his 70’s. It’s just saddening to watch our cases for Illinois continue to climb, but I know they upped the testing so of course that will be the outcome. I thought we were at our peak around Easter but now they are predicting the middle of May.

WiseMonkey
08-05-20, 00:00
The reality is that the vast majority of people it kills would have also died from the flu or even falling over. Not all, but most.

This is not necessarily true although influenza does kill many vulnerable people each year. In saying this most elderly/vulnerable people have the flu vaccine every year so don't have to face this issue. There is no such vaccine against Covid19 plus it's high contagion rate means that the elderly and those with underlying health issues are sitting ducks, hence the overwhelming numbers of hospital cases and those who die as a result of their illness/es. The lack of hospitals/facilities to cope with the deluge of failing vulnerable people is what's overwhelming the nations.

Of course if governments had taken the morally correct action by locking down nations borders early and going into lockdown early, they would have prevented many of these tragic deaths :weep:

UserName20
09-05-20, 00:01
We are seven days in since he has been at work. Im feeling a little more relaxed but I know there’s still another week before we can really relax. Any little tickle in my throat scares me. The only thing I can really say it I’ve had an on and off headache since yesterday which worries me. We have all been taking our temperatures everyday and so far nobody has any one. 😔 I have handled this a lot better than I originally thought.

WiseMonkey
09-05-20, 03:36
We are seven days in since he has been at work. Im feeling a little more relaxed but I know there’s still another week before we can really relax. Any little tickle in my throat scares me. The only thing I can really say it I’ve had an on and off headache since yesterday which worries me. We have all been taking our temperatures everyday and so far nobody has any one.  I have handled this a lot better than I originally thought.

So far so good, then at the end of the cycle of 14 days, continue to stay home then only one family member should go to the supermarket or pharmacy. Your dad should not be going back to work otherwise you're all back to square one, isolating again.

UserName20
09-05-20, 22:38
My sister was complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath. Over the phone they told her to go to the ER. They tested her for COVID, and it is negative. I believe she has herself worked up but I think it is a relief to her.

UserName20
13-05-20, 03:13
My temperature is reading anywhere from 98.4 to 98.8. I’m afraid since it’s a point over that I could be getting a fever. I feel okay I just check it to check.

Scass
13-05-20, 06:59
Temperatures fluctuate throughout the day, especially with anxiety.

Lencoboy
13-05-20, 09:45
Temperatures fluctuate throughout the day, especially with anxiety.

Same can also apply to chest-related issues.

UserName20
13-05-20, 15:25
I am so frustrated with my Dad’s work. They only shut the place down for one week instead of two. There’s at least 6 out of 40 people that are positive. I believe one is in the hospital. He was there sick one day and the place sent him home, a couple days he was positive. There’s one guy who is waiting on his test results and he’s STILL there working while waiting! One of the main bosses was directly working with the people who tested positive but he refused to get a test and said that he feels fine. The company said they have new clients ordering from them and don’t want to close down and disappoint The new clients. They are not checking temperatures or anything either. I told my dad to call the health department but he’s afraid to lose his job.

Lencoboy
13-05-20, 15:46
I am so frustrated with my Dad’s work. They only shut the place down for one week instead of two. There’s at least 6 out of 40 people that are positive. I believe one is in the hospital. He was there sick one day and the place sent him home, a couple days he was positive. There’s one guy who is waiting on his test results and he’s STILL there working while waiting! One of the main bosses was directly working with the people who tested positive but he refused to get a test and said that he feels fine. The company said they have new clients ordering from them and don’t want to close down and disappoint The new clients. They are not checking temperatures or anything either. I told my dad to call the health department but he’s afraid to lose his job.

Sounds like the company your dad works for are acting extremely irresponsibly, if not unlawfully, by prioritising profits and own self-interests over the health, safety and welfare of its employees.

Scandalous (and unscrupulous, by the sound of it).

UserName20
14-05-20, 22:09
I agree. I really wish his work would have taken more precautions. Tomorrow will be two weeks, I guess the individuals who tested positive were gone by that Wednesday so it has actually been a bit over two weeks. Others at his work who kept going while awaiting their tests came back thank negative which is great news. Everyone there seems to be feeling great and healthy and it has been over two weeks so I am hoping that the rest are healthy and that the sick ones recover quickly. I believe most are doing okay. Since my dad has been home my sister has been feeling anxious. He has spent a lot of tjme with her, she wouldn’t even sleep for longer than 30 minutes 4 nights in a row so he waited up with her. She ended up in the hospital thinking she couldn’t breathe. They ran all kinda of tests, even tested her for covid. And she was negative and I believe if my dad had really brought it home she would have had it.

Today I got an email from my college. They are already pulling the plug on my Fall classes. I was really upset, but of course if this is still around this bad in August I would want everyone to stay safe. I guess I just really thought that things would be back to normal by then, I was hoping that by Fall we could start returning to normal. I was really upset to learn about my classes being canceled. Then I could feel myself getting anxious. Now I feel like my chest feels weird or tight when I breathe in. This has happened a lot ever since this entire lockdown started, but of course my mind has me convinced that I have it now. No fever, chills, cough, anything. I can’t escape my own mind now. Blood pressure and oxygen levels are fine, oxygen is 99. I can walk and everything fine so I am not really short of breath in fact walking around the house makes me feel better.

I have joined online therapy for the time being, I am very new to it with my therapist but has been reminding me that my anxiety and negative thoughts have absolutely taken over me and I need to be able to take the control back. I feel like staying in the house and not getting out has left me very depressed. I’ve even had dreams of everyone just standing in line and pointing out every insecurity I have about myself. Even my dreams are emotionally draining.