PDA

View Full Version : birth control pills causing depression?

neuroticcat
05-05-20, 03:36
I started taking low dose combined birth control pills in January to treat endometriosis and since then I’ve been having really bad mood swings every day. At first I was more irritable and angry but for the past month and a half I have full blown depression. I have days when I cry even 10 times a day and my thoughts are really dark.
I was wondering if this is a side effect that will go away when my body adjusts to the hormones (it’s been 4 months already tho...) I am afraid to stop the pills because I don’t want the endometriosis to get worse) or to be put on harder medication that induces menopause.
Does anyone have experience with mood swings from BC pills?

Dora87
31-05-20, 11:23
Hey
I was put on birth control for suspected endometriosis, they really messed with my hormones and gave me side effects like hot flushes and anger too. If you think they might be affecting you I'd go back to your doctor and discuss alternatives :)

ErinKC
05-06-20, 14:39
Yes. I cannot take birth control because it makes my anxiety insane. I tried several different ones years ago and eventually gave up. There are a lot of options though and many people are able to find one that works for them, so definitely ask you doctor about it.