PDA

View Full Version : I think my dad is overly concerned about me

THoltz
06-05-20, 01:21
Hello everyone,

So I am 29 years old, male, and have no underlying health issues. I run regularly and eat fairly well.

I still take precautions when going in public such as avoiding people, wearing mask, not touching my face, and washing my hands.

In spite of this, my dad constantly nags me about staying safe and is concerned that if i get it, I will die or really ill.

The statistics say otherwise. In fact it is likely there are several times more cases than what the data indicates which means the mortality rate is way lower than the official 3.4%.

I live by myself so I have to go out and get groceries. Of course there is risk but my dad acts like it is the plague or something. Worse he thinks that I am not doing to protect myself when in fact I am.

How do I deal with this and why is my dad acting like this? My dad has always a been a killjoy of sorts. It is annoying

Fishmanpa
06-05-20, 01:44
Sounds like you have a potential source for your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
06-05-20, 01:46
You're 29. Water off a ducks back. You're a grown up.

THoltz
06-05-20, 01:49

I know but it is grating hearing it day after day even though I live by myself.

I just have to carry on the best I can

THoltz
06-05-20, 01:50
Sounds like you have a potential source for your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

This is true.

If it’s not COVID-19, it’s something else

I’m glad you pointed this out for me

THoltz
06-05-20, 02:00

Also thank you for pointing out the obvious that I am a grown up. I would not have known otherwise.

ankietyjoe
06-05-20, 02:02
Hopefully you'll remember it next time it annoys you and you can just walk away. FMP is right. If it's a source of anxiety, avoid it.

Sparky16
06-05-20, 03:00
How do I deal with this and why is my dad acting like this? My dad has always a been a killjoy of sorts. It is annoying

I think you answered your own question on why your Dad is acting like this - he's a worrier. Also, you're his kid, and as embarrassing as it is, apparently parents never stop worrying about their kids. It gets really funny when the kids are like 60 and the parents are like 80 or 90.

I don't think there is much you can do to deal with this except sort of ignore it, reassure you're Dad your following precautions, and be glad you don't live with him. Parents can be annoying, no matter how old we (and they) get. :winks: