PDA

View Full Version : COVID-19 and smoking 'myths'

Lencoboy
06-05-20, 14:00
I don't think this has been covered on here as yet, so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

This morning I caught a glimpse of the BBC 1 show 'Healthwatch', where there was some kind of 'expert' answering questions from remote participants and one of the queries was concerning much speculation doing the rounds online about smokers supposedly being more impervious to CV, and said 'expert' suggested that there was no credible evidence to prove it and is just a 'myth' doing the rounds ATM, especially as even more smokers have actually quit due to this pandemic, and he strongly believes that it is some kind of hidden agenda from both the tobacco industry and smokers' rights groups such as FOREST, who may be trying to use this as a means of legitimising and normalising smoking once again, especially with the likely belief that during times of adversity (like this CV pandemic) more people may be tempted into either smoking more than usual or even starting to smoke if they didn't previously, as a means of coping with the stress associated with all of this, which seemed to be the case during the early 90s recession, despite the health risks already being well-known by then (and even more so now, of course).

Don't get me wrong, this thread is NOT intended as a bash at smokers in general, but I am inclined to agree with that bloke on 'Healthwatch' this morning, who strongly urged us all to disregard said 'myth'.

Fishmanpa
06-05-20, 14:16
Its scientific fact that smokers have compromised lungs. As an ex-smoker, I personally suffer the consequences as the habit was directly related to my cancer and heart issues. Light up at your own risk.

Positive thoughts

Lencoboy
06-05-20, 14:33
Its scientific fact that smokers have compromised lungs. As an ex-smoker, I personally suffer the consequences as the habit was directly related to my cancer and heart issues. Light up at your own risk.

Positive thoughts

Exactly, Fishmanpa.

Like I said above, it's probably both hardcore smokers and the tobacco industry being in denial over the potential health hazards pertaining to smoking in general, and no doubt the typical 'never done me any harm' brigade out in force. Those who often deflect with the usual pathetic arguments about 'traffic fumes', etc.

pulisa
06-05-20, 14:38
Apparently people (non smokers) are flocking to buy nicotine replacement patches according to my sister who is a lifelong smoker. She says that "rumour" has it that nicotine prevents the virus from settling into the lungs..but this is probbly yet another scientific "study" based on BS research and funded by the smoking industry.

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 14:43
Cool, I'll consider this my vaccination method. :yesyes: Not sure how I will fare with cancer later on though...:doh:

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-20, 14:50
Can't we start our own silly myth on here and release it onto the internet?

How about rubbing raspberry trifle into your hair has been shown to prevent coronavirus? Trifle makers would love it.

Social distancing only protects you 50% but if you do it whilst wearing a split doughnut on your head your risk drops to 10%.

Lencoboy
06-05-20, 16:36
Apparently people (non smokers) are flocking to buy nicotine replacement patches according to my sister who is a lifelong smoker. She says that "rumour" has it that nicotine prevents the virus from settling into the lungs..but this is probbly yet another scientific "study" based on BS research and funded by the smoking industry.

I had a sneaky suspicion well before this CV pandemic kicked off that it was only a matter of time before some sad case somewhere donned their rose (sorry, nicotine)-tinted specs hoping to make all things smoking 'cool' again. Especially considering the gazillion other revivals of the past decade or so!!

P. S, I'm just saying this in jest, not being serious BTW.

Pamplemousse
06-05-20, 16:54
Can't we start our own silly myth on here and release it onto the internet?

How about rubbing raspberry trifle into your hair has been shown to prevent coronavirus? Trifle makers would love it.

Waste of trifle. I recommend eating raspberry trifle, three times a day :)

fishman65
06-05-20, 18:35
The story I read on the smoking angle was that the tar in cigarette smoke coated the cells lining the lungs and the coronavirus had difficulty getting through this barrier. I've gone from life long non-smoker to 40 a day :shades:

pulisa
06-05-20, 19:31
The story I read on the smoking angle was that the tar in cigarette smoke coated the cells lining the lungs and the coronavirus had difficulty getting through this barrier. I've gone from life long non-smoker to 40 a day :shades:

Hope you don't get a smoker's cough, Fishman!!:D One way to break up a queue for the supermarket!

I mean this is BS with a vengeance! Have you heard the one about those having blood group O having more resistance to the pesky covid spores?

Gary A
06-05-20, 19:34
This was due to a study in China that has a high proportion of smokers over the age of 65. It was found that slightly more advanced disease was present in a higher majority of non-smokers over 65 than smokers.

I believe the study into nicotine patches as a protective agent was being carried out in France. It’s obviously just a bit of a coincidence but in times like this you’ve really got to check and re-check everything that might just work I suppose.

pulisa
06-05-20, 19:37
This was due to a study in China that has a high proportion of smokers over the age of 65. It was found that slightly more advanced disease was present in a higher majority of non-smokers over 65 than smokers.

I believe the study into nicotine patches as a protective agent was being carried out in France. It’s obviously just a bit of a coincidence but in times like this you’ve really got to check and re-check everything that might just work I suppose.

In the meantime nicotine patches are the new bog rolls/hand sanitiser/baked beans

Lolalee1
07-05-20, 09:59
Yep heard that one awhile ago :roflmao:I am o-negative

Lencoboy
07-05-20, 10:45

Your choice I know but what about all the other well-known health risks associated with the habit?

pulisa
07-05-20, 13:57
I think he's joking, Lencoboy...

He may be an Everton fan but that's his only vice!:)

Lencoboy
07-05-20, 15:00
I think he's joking, Lencoboy...

He may be an Everton fan but that's his only vice!:)

That did cross my mind.

pulisa
07-05-20, 18:00
Yep heard that one awhile ago :roflmao:I am o-negative

Me too! All the best people are!:winks:

fishman65
07-05-20, 18:17
I am indeed joking about the smoking Lencoboy. Supporting Everton requires a good sense of humour, otherwise you go under.

pulisa
07-05-20, 19:25
I'm sure your Sheikh could fund a few vaccine trials though...

fishman65
07-05-20, 22:12
I'm sure your Sheikh could fund a few vaccine trials though...That's true Pulisa but if he ends up choosing which vaccine to use like he does which players to buy, they won't be stopping CV any time soon.

WiseMonkey
07-05-20, 23:11
Me too! All the best people are!:winks:

0 positive here (the most common type without the rh factor) but still of the hunter, gatherer clan :)

Lolalee1
08-05-20, 07:15
Mine is RH negative geez WM the only thing I gather is dust:D