PDA

View Full Version : Cheek biting and side effects: advice

Lu88
06-05-20, 18:30
Hey all, I hope everyone is feeling and doing ok.

I'm just seeking some advice really to see if anyone has experienced this or can shed some light, I'm trying really hard not to spiral.

I have had the habit of biting the inside of my cheeks and lips for as long as I can remember, it can get pretty bad and two nights ago I had a biting "session" that went pretty deep, I know I caused some bleeding and it was on the inside of my top lip. Yesterday morning I woke up and that side of my lip was inflammed from the inside out and looked like I'd been punched. Today it has gone down significantly but I'm now having some weird side effects and I can't figure out if it's all connected. So first side effect that I know is connected is that the inside of my lip that I chewed for dear life is thick, inflammed and covered in white/yellow patches, two big ones (tender to touch, moist and smooth) and then some burst blood vessels of some description. What's weird though is that I also have a weird bitter taste in my mouth, it's making things taste weird and overall tastes as though I've not brushed my teeth. It's horrible and I'm worrying. Can this taste be connected to the healing process/inflammation/trauma? It's not blood as the bleeding stopped when I stopped chewing and the taste isn't metallic like blood, it's just really really bitter.

Thanks in advance and stay safe people!

Lots of love x

BlueIris
06-05-20, 18:38
Been there, done that; I'm always terrified it'll have horrible consequences, although the literature suggests it won't.

Don't panic, just do what you can to leave it alone and let it heal, and don't worry if it takes a couple of weeks.

Lu88
06-05-20, 18:43
It's awful isn't it? The swelling has already subsided a little compared to how I looked yesterday so that's a good sign. Did you ever have the weird bitter taste? I'm wondering if it's related to the healing process? My whole mouth just feels generally weird to be honest but to be expected after I've chewed on it no end! Thanks for your input :) really appreciated Xxx

BlueIris
06-05-20, 18:48
You're very welcome; I've had the bitter taste before but never actually connected it with the cheek biting. It's something to think about.

O_O
06-05-20, 19:45
I've done the cheek biting thing for all of my 31 years.

I get a weird taste, too. I think it might be blood or plasma or something.

Lu88
06-05-20, 20:55
Another cheek biter, nice to meet you! Never thought of it being plasma, good connection. I know it's not blood but I definitely think it's linked. Cheers for your thoughts and experience, it really helps :)