PDA

View Full Version : Stressed about getting sick

julia241977
08-05-20, 00:45
I've been stressed about getting sick today. I'm staying home, but I live with some family members that, in addition to being essential workers, are also getting really paranoid about this whole thing. When I hear them freak out, it just makes me more scared that I'm in serious danger (even though I haven't left the house in a month). I'm young, relatively healthy, but I also get nervous about being one of the cases that turns out really serious/fatal. I know it's unlikely, but I've heard some scary stories in the news about young and healthy people dying of this. I have health anxiety normally, so this isn't great.

Lencoboy
08-05-20, 16:25
I've been stressed about getting sick today. I'm staying home, but I live with some family members that, in addition to being essential workers, are also getting really paranoid about this whole thing. When I hear them freak out, it just makes me more scared that I'm in serious danger (even though I haven't left the house in a month). I'm young, relatively healthy, but I also get nervous about being one of the cases that turns out really serious/fatal. I know it's unlikely, but I've heard some scary stories in the news about young and healthy people dying of this. I have health anxiety normally, so this isn't great.

You are correct, but they still very much remain the exception than the rule.

I don't mean to sound patronising in any way but please try to remember that you successfully survived the Swine Flu pandemic just over a decade ago (which predominantly affected younger people fatality-wise) and you (and I) are still here right now.

Just keep following and practising the relevant guidelines (e.g. social distancing, regular hand-washing, etc) and hopefully you should be OK.