PDA

View Full Version : Buildings/rooms with odd vibes

Lencoboy
09-05-20, 20:34
Does anyone ever feel a bit uneasy whenever they enter a building or specific rooms within a given building (or house)? I don't really buy into the paranormal, etc, but sometimes I have been known to feel a little uncomfortable entering certain rooms for no apparent reason and even seemingly innocuous fixtures and fittings within the given room (especially toilets) have been known to give me the heebies (e.g. arrays of exposed water pipes) and even certain odours, etc. Also places that would normally be a hive of activity during the day but completely desolate of an evening (e.g, certain workplaces, schools, parts of hospitals, etc) tend to make me feel a bit creeped out.

Even the look of certain buildings/houses and their respective architecture have weird effects on me.

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-20, 04:59
I suspect many non anxious people feel like that for all sorts of reasons. Maybe it reminds us of scenes in films? On that subject this one springs to mind...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/COgOR_jIfKgcmOyLWkPvWQOdo9S1bJB05KKO_wYzBxmX6b-ShMgGRYhnmp1jUc_nYPlFcpGqdHsTix5R6y3Wj35D3IlH5M4pb RBdTxHlqFaxbkEasQ

:roflmao:

AntsyVee
10-05-20, 06:57
I’m a huge skeptic, but I have been in two places where I’ve had unexplained things happen. I dunno if they were ghosts...I’m not sure why all unexplained things always seem to be attributed to ghosts or aliens... but one was in a friend’s house when growing up, and the other was a bathroom in an office building I once worked in. The house was the only place that’s truly given me the creeps. The bathroom was more just weird sounds.

Lencoboy
10-05-20, 08:55
Does anyone ever feel a bit uneasy whenever they enter a building or specific rooms within a given building (or house)? I don't really buy into the paranormal, etc, but sometimes I have been known to feel a little uncomfortable entering certain rooms for no apparent reason and even seemingly innocuous fixtures and fittings within the given room (especially toilets) have been known to give me the heebies (e.g. arrays of exposed water pipes) and even certain odours, etc. Also places that would normally be a hive of activity during the day but completely desolate of an evening (e.g, certain workplaces, schools, parts of hospitals, etc) tend to make me feel a bit creeped out.

Even the look of certain buildings/houses and their respective architecture have weird effects on me.

I mentioned schools specifically (before anyone starts thinking I am an oddball) because about 15 years ago me and my dad installed some of those (then) newly-fangled AV (audio-visual) systems in the classrooms at a few local primaries during the 6-week summer holidays. They weren't necessarily 'old' buildings either, as all were built since the 60s at the earliest, but the fact that they were deserted when and where they would be otherwise buzzing with kids (and teachers) during term-time, just felt really weird.

I was imagining all kinds of scenarios walking around those places, like scenes in some horror movie, especially set in some wartime era.

It will most certainly be all the more pertinent right now during this lockdown.

ankietyjoe
10-05-20, 13:37
I've had this a few times for sure. I don't believe in ghosts on the supernatural, but I do believe that 'stuff' may occur that we don't yet fully understand.

It's not even about being in big, deserted buildings either. I once rented a flat with my then partner and a friend in London. It was freshly renovated, clean and pleasant. I was having a bath once, I was alone in the flat. I had an extreme and sudden urge to leave that room. It felt extremely dark and dangerous in there. This was many years before I experienced anxiety and I know the difference in hindsight.

Lencoboy
10-05-20, 15:17
I've had this a few times for sure. I don't believe in ghosts on the supernatural, but I do believe that 'stuff' may occur that we don't yet fully understand.

It's not even about being in big, deserted buildings either. I once rented a flat with my then partner and a friend in London. It was freshly renovated, clean and pleasant. I was having a bath once, I was alone in the flat. I had an extreme and sudden urge to leave that room. It felt extremely dark and dangerous in there. This was many years before I experienced anxiety and I know the difference in hindsight.

Was it a windowless bathroom?

Sometimes they can give me the creeps, especially the thought of a power cut occurring whilst mid-way through having a bath or shower and suddenly being stuck in a pitch black hole with the risk of slipping and becoming seriously injured whilst attempting to escape!!

AntsyVee
10-05-20, 18:16
I’m very claustrophobic, so lots of windowless places do that to me! :S

ankietyjoe
10-05-20, 18:16
Yes it was windowless, but so was the main bathroom I owned in a flat I owned for 12 years and I never once had an issue there even WITH the worst anxiety period in my life.

It's a weird thing.

Pamplemousse
10-05-20, 18:32
Was it a windowless bathroom?

Sometimes they can give me the creeps, especially the thought of a power cut occurring whilst mid-way through having a bath or shower and suddenly being stuck in a pitch black hole with the risk of slipping and becoming seriously injured whilst attempting to escape!!

Much of my working life was spent working in windowless and dimly-lit rooms. One place I worked in was rumoured to be haunted in one particular area and naturally I dismissed this as hogwash but... one night I was in there alone and the only illumination was some very dim safety lights; it was then I swore I saw a figure out of the corner of my eye. There was no-one there when I turned, of course - but it certainly made me jump.

The building has since been partly demolished and housing now stands on the site.

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-20, 21:33
Much of my working life was spent working in windowless and dimly-lit rooms. One place I worked in was rumoured to be haunted in one particular area and naturally I dismissed this as hogwash but... one night I was in there alone and the only illumination was some very dim safety lights; it was then I swore I saw a figure out of the corner of my eye. There was no-one there when I turned, of course - but it certainly made me jump.

The building has since been partly demolished and housing now stands on the site.

That sounds like a plotline for film akin to houses built on some old graveyard :ohmy:

I used to work alone some Saturdays after my shift being duty manager for the floor of a large office ended. It was just me, a security guard far off in reception and hundreds of desks with computers left on. Then the lights would switch off on a timer and I would have to walk all the way to the other side to get to the switches. I would only switch those on over the bank of desks I sat at.

It was creepy and with all the odd noises of computers...https://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/mystic/h0542.gifhttps://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/mystic/h0502.gif

Sparky16
10-05-20, 22:56
I think both of these phenomenon - the spooky deserted place that is normally busy, and the dark and scary fixtures/architecture - are common, because they are used for atmosphere in scary video games and movies.

I work in a school, and I've had many co-workers tell me they are creeped out by our building when it is empty in the evening. I even had a co-worker claim the place was haunted, but I never saw anything. It doesn't bother me at all, but then I used to work by myself in old buildings downtown, so I'm used to it. The only odd thing I've had happen was that once I heard someone bouncing a basketball in the gym, but when I looked to see who it was, there was no one there. Whoever it was left awfully quietly.

I totally understand what you mean about certain architecture being sort of menacing. And there was this big discussion online between people who were frightened as a child of those toilets that have the high water tanks up near the ceiling. I can't imagine potty training a small child with one of those!

Lencoboy
13-05-20, 11:19
I think both of these phenomenon - the spooky deserted place that is normally busy, and the dark and scary fixtures/architecture - are common, because they are used for atmosphere in scary video games and movies.

I work in a school, and I've had many co-workers tell me they are creeped out by our building when it is empty in the evening. I even had a co-worker claim the place was haunted, but I never saw anything. It doesn't bother me at all, but then I used to work by myself in old buildings downtown, so I'm used to it. The only odd thing I've had happen was that once I heard someone bouncing a basketball in the gym, but when I looked to see who it was, there was no one there. Whoever it was left awfully quietly.

I totally understand what you mean about certain architecture being sort of menacing. And there was this big discussion online between people who were frightened as a child of those toilets that have the high water tanks up near the ceiling. I can't imagine potty training a small child with one of those!I was never really frightened of the high-level cisterns as such, more the loud shushing noises that the cisterns emitted during the post-flush refill cycle (and the same sounds resonating through the accompanying pipework), which can also happen with the low-level types that have generally been the norm since the 60s or so (at least here in the UK).

There used to be a horrible underground public toilet block in our town centre that was very dimly lit with low-wattage bulbs (and obviously windowless) with those circular vandal-proof light fittings with a screwed cover to protect the bulbs, and the bulb in the light fitting covering the two cubicles in the Gents was often not working (our local council often never bothered to replaced it) and those cubicles consequently in virtual darkness. The toilet fixtures were ancient and had high-level cisterns with full exposed pipework, and both cubicles had black plastic open-front type seats. The walls throughout the Gents were plastered head to toe with graffiti and the place was filthy and reeked to high heaven. I was terrified of entering those toilets even when my dad was in there with me, and even if just using the slab urinal, which was closer to the entrance/exit door.

I hated using those toilets so much that when our local council finally closed them down around 1987 (I think), I instantly breathed a sigh of relief!!

The only toilet block left in our town centre after then was (and still is) the far, far superior modern one in the main shopping centre, that has ironically been refurbished about three times since then. Clean with no stench, well-lit with proper light fittings and all in full working order, all plumbing completely boxed in, and no signs of any graffiti/ vandalism.

Such inhumane facilities like that aforementioned horrid, not fit for purpose, underground toilet block would never be allowed to exist in these 'health and safety'-conscious times, and quite rightly so IMO.

Lencoboy
14-05-20, 15:48
Not necessarily strange vibe-related as such, but more odour-related. I really don't like cheese shops, butcher's shops, and certain 'old-school' cafes. Also being in certain kitchens with strong odours makes me feel a tad uncomfortable.

TomJones
15-06-20, 19:36
There were several rooms where I felt uncomfortable. As a rule, I just try not to come there a second time or to come to a big company. It may seem silly, but I believe in angels and the other world. Sometimes it intersects so close that we can feel it. And the number of angels? Have you tried to notice them? I checked once at sunsigns.org 101 meaning (https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-101-meaning/). It made me think. Sometimes I ask a question within myself and pay attention to the numbers. It is like an answer. Why do such coincidences occur? I dont know. I am far from extrasensory perception and other things. I am an ordinary person. I just believe that there is another layer of the world.

Noivous
16-06-20, 01:50
I spent a week in jail one night. I had some bad vibes in that room!

Lencoboy
16-06-20, 15:04
I spent a week in jail one night. I had some bad vibes in that room!

Hardly surprising!

Noivous
17-06-20, 02:19
hardly surprising!

lol! Touche!

Sparkle1984
23-08-20, 22:06
When I was 18 years old, my mum and stepdad decided to look for a new house together. They had only been living together for a few months at this point. We visited 3 or 4 different houses in total, all within about a mile of home.

One of the houses looked really nice from the outside and we were all very eager to have a look around. We got an appointment with the estate agent to visit, but as soon as I walked inside the house, I noticed this awful cold oppressive feeling. It was early summer, so there was no reason why I should have felt so cold. Something just didn't feel right about the place, but I wasn't sure what. The feeling followed me to every room. Eventually we went upstairs and I looked around what would have been my bedroom. The room itself looked quite nice and was a reasonable size, but I had this weird feeling that I wouldn't like to stay in there on my own while my parents were out at work!

I had a weird feeling that the house might be haunted, but as I had only known my stepdad for a few months at that point, I was too scared to say anything as I didn't know how he'd react or whether he would think I'm crazy!

I didn't know anything about the owner of the house. With all the other houses we'd visited, the owners had been there to help show us around. But in this creepy house, it was just the 3 of us and the estate agent. This makes me wonder whether the owner had died.

My mum and stepdad never mentioned feeling weird in the house, and a while later they did put in an offer for it, but to my relief, it turned out they were too late and someone else had already had their offer accepted.

A few years later, when I felt a lot closer to my stepdad and felt able to talk to him about pretty much anything, I did mention my feelings about that house. He said that he never noticed anything weird about it, although he had experienced a couple of other paranormal events at other places when he was younger so he didn't dismiss me completely.

About 10 years ago, when I was getting a taxi home with some other people, we drove past that creepy house and a woman in the taxi shuddered and mentioned how she gets bad feelings whenever she goes past that section of the road, as she has bad memories from there. I didn't know the woman very well so I didn't like to ask her what had happened. So now I think something awful probably did happen in that house (or maybe in the neighbouring houses).

Lencoboy
25-08-20, 11:08
Another lengthy essay of my past I will probably bore you all to death with coming up!!

I'm sure I've already mentioned this before in another thread on here, but back in the very early 90s (due to my AS) I remember having respite care at this County Council-run unit in a neighbouring town for children with disabilities between the ages of 0-18 and a maximum capacity of about 8 clients staying there at the same time. (This was in mid-1990 to early 1991 and I was 13 at the time).

Although the building itself was first constructed around the mid-70s or so, it was pretty grim-looking architecturally from the outside, with its mono-pitched roofs and slanted upper front fascias, and of a similar architectural style to many of the notorious Radburn-style council estates built throughout the UK around the very same era.

The building's central heating machinery used to emit a horrible creepy groaning sound periodically throught the day, which was probably some kind of water hammer caused by a feeder tank with a dodgy ball valve refilling at periodical intervals throughout the day and the noise lasted approximately 5 minutes.

Luckily the noise was only audible within the immediate vicinity of the boiler and its accompanying equipment and not in any of the bedrooms, nor through any of the radiators throughout the building. That noise really used to give me the creeps!!

Another room/area within the same building (on the first floor), but right up the opposite end of the building (and well away from the noisy boiler) that also made me feel a bit uneasy was a passageway/lobby leading to a fire escape, and was also where the dumbwaiter (small lift for transporting meals prepared in the kitchen immediately underneath) terminated and was accessed from.

The light fittings in said room/area were unshaded batten holders with bare old-style incandescent light bulbs identical to those in the downstairs toilet and rear store cupboard in the house I lived in from the age of 1 1/2 to 7 3/4, which obviously reminded me of my early childhood, coupled with the fact that I sometimes had the misfortune of having to stay there at the same time as babies/toddlers, which inevitably provoked further flashbacks to how I was or might have been at their age.

I remember having an intense dislike of custard at that time for some strange reason, not necessarily the taste as such but probably more of a 'food fad', fuelled by 'oddball' associations, and the fact that custard was passed through that particular room/area also gave me the heebies a bit. It also possessed a bit of a musty aroma, coupled with the stench of cigarette smoke wafting from the office just a couple of doors opposite across the corridor where some of the staff used to light up with the office door wedged wide open, and without even a second thought for us clients (and non-smoking staff members), which of course would be totally unthinkable nowadays!!

That place eventually closed down and got razed to the ground sometime in the mid-late 2000s, as the building was considered haphazard, poorly designed and built, and no longer fit for purpose in the 21st Century.

Lencoboy
25-09-21, 08:22
This thread was actually influenced by a thread on the old Digital Spy forum from 2017 entitled 'Can a house have bad vibes?', which I found really interesting at the time, despite some of the usual venom from certain posters.

NoraB
25-09-21, 09:01
Does anyone ever feel a bit uneasy whenever they enter a building or specific rooms within a given building (or house)?

Yeah, and it works the other way too. I chose my present house (at the time, a shithole) due to the good vibe I got when I walked in to view on the first occasion and twice more before we put the offer in..

I don't really buy into the paranormal, etc

I do buy into it and it's hard not to when you've been feet away from a child (who doesn't belong in your house) and who appears to have no bottom half!

When it comes to how buildings 'feel' - we're all energy and it makes sense to me that we leave traces of our energetic 'essence' behind - especially if there was trauma involved.

but sometimes I have been known to feel a little uncomfortable entering certain rooms for no apparent reason and even seemingly innocuous fixtures and fittings within the given room (especially toilets) have been known to give me the heebies (e.g. arrays of exposed water pipes) and even certain odours, etc. Also places that would normally be a hive of activity during the day but completely desolate of an evening (e.g, certain workplaces, schools, parts of hospitals, etc) tend to make me feel a bit creeped out.

Most places get a case of the creepies when it's dark..

I had a friend and I visited her house one day and I felt crap. Couldn't understand why as I was fine when I went in. Turns out there had been a fire in that house and the previous occupant had died in one of the bedrooms. On another occasion she gave me the 'grand tour' and as soon as I went upstairs I knew which room the bloke had carked it in (despite it being a summer's day in a south facing room) because the atmosphere felt similar as it used to feel in my childhood bedroom where a child had died a few years earlier - the same child who I saw at the bottom of the stairs.Of course there are also autistic sensory issues and connection to memories?

For instance, I can't look at parquet flooring without thinking of school. I was always looking at the floor and always feeling like I was about to throw up from fear so my brain remembers this..:shrug:

Maybe that's what's happening with you Len?

Lencoboy
25-09-21, 09:31
Of course there are also autistic sensory issues and connection to memories?

For instance, I can't look at parquet flooring without thinking of school. I was always looking at the floor and always feeling like I was about to throw up from fear so my brain remembers this..:shrug:

Maybe that's what's happening with you Len?

It definitely can be at times Nora.

I can appreciate your negative association with parquet flooring because you obviously endured painful experiences in your school hall as a child, such as assemblies (with loud singing and the headteacher screaming out 'STOP TALKING PLEEAASSE!'), PE lessons (a classic trigger for many), and of course, school dinners, whose experiences have damaged a lot of us Auties all the more over the years (including myself).

Ironically, the corridors and main hall of my day centre have parquet flooring ('herringbone' pattern-type) typical of school halls, but they don't bother me in the slightest. In fact they actually remind me of recording studios, though the variant of such flooring with the 'basket-weave'-type pattern tends to be most common in such places.

NoraB
27-09-21, 08:49
PE lessons (a classic trigger for many), and of course, school dinners, whose experiences have damaged a lot of us Auties all the more over the years (including myself).

P.E in the school hall: The sight of black plimsoles. The smell of food and feet. The high-pitched squeak of rubber soles on polished wooden floors. Being last to be picked. My PE shorts riding up my @rse. That feeling of being 'out of control'. Of wanting to run away but not being able to break rules. Of not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing while everybody else has seemingly nailed it? That bloody whistle. That bloody bell. That bloody clock that slows time down..(school clocks always go slower than the ones at home, right?)

I'm having flashbacks Len. :scared15:

Lencoboy
27-09-21, 09:34
P.E in the school hall: The sight of black plimsoles. The smell of food and feet. The high-pitched squeak of rubber soles on polished wooden floors. Being last to be picked. My PE shorts riding up my @rse. That feeling of being 'out of control'. Of wanting to run away but not being able to break rules. Of not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing while everybody else has seemingly nailed it? That bloody whistle. That bloody bell. That bloody clock that slows time down..(school clocks always go slower than the ones at home, right?)

I'm having flashbacks Len. :scared15:

Soz Nora!

I dare you to watch that Grange Hill episode from early 1981 entitled 'Nasty Mr Hicks'. Mr Hicks' was a sadistic barsteward of a PE teacher who was forever picking on Stewpot (one of the male pupil characters) and Bullet Baxter was seemingly indifferent to Hicks' misdemeanours till one day after Hicks had lied to Stewpot's mother in McClusky's office that Stewpot had got his scars through slipping on the wet floor instead of the actual vicious beatings dished out by that raving lunatic Hicks himself, Baxter did an obbo from the changing room whilst Hicks was taking the PE session in the gym where he pushed Stewpot over onto the floor, then screamed 'MR HICKS, COME 'ERE!'.

Then Baxter pushed him into the toilet area of the changing room, gave Hicks a right-hander then he fell to the floor with Baxter saying 'Slip on the wet floor did you?'.

Extremely shocking but rather hilarious in the end when barsteward Hicks finally got his comeuppance!

Like I've already said in various other threads before on here, it does seem that many school buildings have been designed to intimidate and humiliate, either deliberately or by coincidence, and seemed to design in opportunities for bullying, vandalism, etc, rather than design them out, especially schools built in the 60s-80s era.

Also Nora, if you don't mind me asking, what were your experiences with school meals back in the day?

NoraB
28-09-21, 08:39
Soz Nora!

I dare you to watch that Grange Hill episode from early 1981 entitled 'Nasty Mr Hicks'. Mr Hicks' was a sadistic barsteward of a PE teacher who was forever picking on Stewpot (one of the male pupil characters) and Bullet Baxter was seemingly indifferent to Hicks' misdemeanours till one day after Hicks had lied to Stewpot's mother in McClusky's office that Stewpot had got his scars through slipping on the wet floor instead of the actual vicious beatings dished out by that raving lunatic Hicks himself, Baxter did an obbo from the changing room whilst Hicks was taking the PE session in the gym where he pushed Stewpot over onto the floor, then screamed 'MR HICKS, COME 'ERE!'.

Then Baxter pushed him into the toilet area of the changing room, gave Hicks a right-hander then he fell to the floor with Baxter saying 'Slip on the wet floor did you?'.

I did try watching Grange Hill again (on Britbox) and I got a few episodes in before I realised that my eye twitch had kicked in. :scared15:

Also Nora, if you don't mind me asking, what were your experiences with school meals back in the day?

I didn't eat. I just sat there and tried my best not to vomit. I was slightly fascinated by the colourful custards though..

I suffered on like this until I was about 8 and then my mum (no doubt on an economy drive) asked if I would prefer to take sandwiches? (I'd never thought to ask myself. :whistles:)

Still had to sit in the canteen and cope with the smells and the noise but at least I could drink my tea and nibble at a Penguin biscuit albeit feeling like I was trying to swallow razor blades. Sandwiches were too big of an ask for my delicate tum-tum - which is why it was always making horrific gurgling noises that everybody could hear..:blush:

I used to look around at the other kids scoffing their food and they looked like they were enjoying it whereas I just wanted to die. At my son's specialist school they have the main dining room and a quieter room for kids who can't handle the main room, or who just need some quiet time. Had I have had a similar option when I was at school, I might have actually eaten something..

My first day of school? I remember being led into the canteen. The smell was overpowering. The noise was deafening and I felt sick. I ate nothing. And I got told off..:lac:

I'd just spent the last five years in my own little world watching Pipkins and eating spaghetti hoops for my dinner. One day my mother walks me down to this strange building full of noisy kids and a lady with a very LOUD voice. Mum sits with me at a table for a few minutes, then she gets up and leaves without me and I wasn't allowed to go with her? I was traumatised! :scared15:

Lencoboy
28-09-21, 15:40
I did try watching Grange Hill again (on Britbox) and I got a few episodes in before I realised that my eye twitch had kicked in. :scared15:

I didn't eat. I just sat there and tried my best not to vomit. I was slightly fascinated by the colourful custards though..

I suffered on like this until I was about 8 and then my mum (no doubt on an economy drive) asked if I would prefer to take sandwiches? (I'd never thought to ask myself. :whistles:)

Still had to sit in the canteen and cope with the smells and the noise but at least I could drink my tea and nibble at a Penguin biscuit albeit feeling like I was trying to swallow razor blades. Sandwiches were too big of an ask for my delicate tum-tum - which is why it was always making horrific gurgling noises that everybody could hear..:blush:

I used to look around at the other kids scoffing their food and they looked like they were enjoying it whereas I just wanted to die. At my son's specialist school they have the main dining room and a quieter room for kids who can't handle the main room, or who just need some quiet time. Had I have had a similar option when I was at school, I might have actually eaten something..

My first day of school? I remember being led into the canteen. The smell was overpowering. The noise was deafening and I felt sick. I ate nothing. And I got told off..:lac:

I'd just spent the last five years in my own little world watching Pipkins and eating spaghetti hoops for my dinner. One day my mother walks me down to this strange building full of noisy kids and a lady with a very LOUD voice. Mum sits with me at a table for a few minutes, then she gets up and leaves without me and I wasn't allowed to go with her? I was traumatised! :scared15:

Similar to my school meals nightmare Nora, which caused me to attend a residential school for 2 and a half years, in which I had to endure all kinds of other mental hell on earth, and what would be considered abuse by today's standards.

Even dedicated 'special' schools didn't appear to, or seemingly even care to understand us Auties back then. As far as the staff in a lot of such places were concerned, we were simply naughty boys/girls who needed to be taught a lesson, often the hard way!

In fact, quite a few people with non-LDs who were children back in the 60s, 70s and 80s in particular have told of their school meal horror stories, especially on the old Digital Spy forum, but most kids back then tended not to discuss such issues, especially as they often weren't listened to.

Catkins
28-09-21, 17:22
Primary school lunches in the 70's were just awful. I remember being in the first sitting and refusing to eat liver and onions and being forced to sit at a table on my own through the second sitting with the cold food in front of me and miss playtime. Devastating at a young age.

Lencoboy
28-09-21, 18:14
Primary school lunches in the 70's were just awful. I remember being in the first sitting and refusing to eat liver and onions and being forced to sit at a table on my own through the second sitting with the cold food in front of me and miss playtime. Devastating at a young age.

Liver? YUK!!

Horrible, horrible stuff.

Absolutely appalling and hideous treatment you were on the receiving end of there Catkins.

And those who hark back to those times with rose-tinted specs saying 'It never did me no harm', 'It kept me on the straight and narrow', 'look at the bloody kids today, more out of control than ever before', etc, really fill me with rage!

After all, food is NOT a disciplinary/punishment thing, and whilst I do agree that kids should try to eat healthier foods more within reasonable amounts, forcing them against their will to eat stuff they absolutely cannot stand is tantamount to both physical and emotional abuse IMO, especially if they have genuine intolerances to certain foods/drinks.

But back then most people in charge of kids didn't seem to care and often didn't even give it as much as a second thought.

Buster70
28-09-21, 19:33
I’m pretty open minded about paranormal things as there have been things in my past I couldn’t explain , we have a house that we have let both of our daughters rent at different times , it’s a complicated set up and the house was empty for many years ,I have felt uneasy upstairs in this house since day one , we got in contact with the previous owner and she said the place gives her nightmares but wouldn’t say why , I’ve slept in the house many times and always feel watched for some reason , both of my daughters say it’s haunted and my brother did some work on it and said the upstairs hallway freaked him out , I now use the house for storage and work in it sometimes , what i do now and it may sound odd , when I go in I say hello house and touch the wall , yeah I know nuts but it makes me feel more comfortable in there .
I also go in derelict buildings with my dog when I travel places , some have happy vibes and some make me feel the need for the nearest toilet ( fight or flight empty you bowls to run faster ) , I don’t see why a building can’t hold memories like a piece of magnetic tape or a memory stick , can you imagine showing someone an MP3 player a couple of hundred years ago ?they'd have burnt you for being a witch , there is so much don’t dont or can’t understand , I met a chap who records empty rooms and swears they’ve are voices but I also know a guy who swears Elvis works in our chippy .
Loose parquet flooring with sick and sawdust with a hint of Detol , Happy memories , Not .

dorabella
29-09-21, 16:14
The only buildings that give me the creeps are old vacant asylums and hospitals. Quite a lot of them taken over by developers in the 80s and 90s when the former inhabitants were turfed out into the 'care of the community' ... most were turned into luxury flat blocks. How anyone could want to live in those places and pay top dollar for them is beyond me. I suppose it must the association of ideas with me.

Some buildings do give off 'vibes' though. I remember when I was a child and my parents went to view a lovely old gate house which was up for sale. When we approached the bulding I backed off down the path and refused to go inside, and had a nightmare about the place. My parents didn't buy that place!

Strangely I feel totally comfortable in old graveyards which are quite peaceful places.

Catkins
29-09-21, 17:21
Graveyards are lovely during the day but at night they do scare me. I was fine until the latest Dracula remake (BBC) and since then I have my eyes peeled for undead children.

Every morning I walk my dog around the churchyard almost opposite us and as the mornings are getting darker I know I'll be getting twitchy soon. A big torch is in order!

WiredIncorrectly
02-10-21, 16:57

One place I remember this happening to me was an old Tudor mansion that was located near where I lived. We went with the school and I remember feeling very odd vibes.

Graveyards are awesome. I walk around the graveyards here from time to time. It's peaceful. I did walk through in the dark the other week and it felt a but odd but that was just my anxiety that time. When I need to clear my head I go and sit in the corner of the graveyard. Nobody can see me or bother me.

NoraB
03-10-21, 07:26
I like being in churchyards too. They're very peaceful places. And I always say that it's the living who scare me, not those who are dead..

Lencoboy
04-10-21, 09:02
A few years ago I watched on YouTube a 'made-for-TV' film (Play For Today-style) from 1979 called 'Just A Boy's Game' that was centred mainly on Greenock, Scotland, and there was a scene on a rundown concrete-clad estate where one of the guys lived where that one guy said the line 'I'm going for fags', then followed by the sound of an upright Hoover reverberating through the lobby/communal area of the block of flats where he lived (non-high rise) before running down a sloped grassed area opposite the block of flats where he lived to the mobile shop van to buy his cigarettes.

The sound of the aforementioned vacuum cleaner reverberating through the hall of the block of flats was really creepy and instantly reminded me of the noises from the heating equipment at the respite unit I attended back in the early 90s, as it was in a similar tone and musical key.

Concrete-clad architecture in general has always creeped me out a bit.

WiredIncorrectly
04-10-21, 10:28
I live in a clad house that was built for the miners. There's only 3 rows of clad houses in this entire area.

Lencoboy
04-10-21, 10:33
I live in a clad house that was built for the miners. There's only 3 rows of clad houses in this entire area.

No prejudices intended to those who live in such properties though, just the architecture that's always given me the heebies.

WiredIncorrectly
04-10-21, 10:37
No prejudices intended to those who live in such properties though, just the architecture that's always given me the heebies.

Non taken, they are ugly. I'm going to watch that film today btw. Thanks for the suggestion, sounds cool.

Lencoboy
10-11-21, 08:22
A support worker who used to work with me back in the late 90s lived in a house (then still with his parents) that was of the most oddball design and layout ever.

The house was private (not council) and was a dormer-type built around the late 60s-early 70s era, and in a fairly respectable area.

As far as the weirdest-ever layout was concerned, the front door (actually on the side but nearest the front-most corner of the property) opened straight into the kitchen, which you then walked straight through into the living room.

The second door straight off the living room opened straight into the downstairs bedroom and the third and final door out of the living room opened into a lobby/mini-hallway with the stairs to the left and another door that opened into the downstairs toilet, which not only doubled up as the utility room, but was also a walk-through room to the back door, which led straight out into the back garden. Also with said family's vacuum cleaner, lawnmower and ironing board also stored next to each other on the floor in the 'walk-through' downstairs toilet/utility room, which was the oddest of the oddball of rooms in said house.

I reckon the architect who designed the layout of said property must have had a bit of a screw loose.

I mean, who in the right mind would want to kip in a bedroom directly accessed from the living room and being kept awake by the TV, music, loud conversations, etc?

Plus it didn't feel right having a number 2 in their downstairs toilet, not only surrounded by washing machines, tumble dryers, ironing boards, vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers, power tools, and various other 'clutter', but also having to ensure both doors were fully locked.

I'm seriously not kidding nor exaggerating about this house, nor even prejudicing it's occupants, it was the weirdest and most illogical design and layout I've ever come across.

On a couple of occasions that I went there on winter evenings, it seemed to feel a tad creepy, especially when going to the toilet, but alive and happy in the middle of a beautiful summer's day.

Very very strange!

MyNameIsTerry
10-11-21, 11:24
Lenco, I remember staying in a cottage with an odd upstairs layout. At the top of the stairs you turned into bedroom one with an ensuite. You walked through this bedroom to access the master bedroom. It was like it was designed for a cot outside the master.

Lencoboy
10-11-21, 20:27
Lenco, I remember staying in a cottage with an odd upstairs layout. At the top of the stairs you turned into bedroom one with an ensuite. You walked through this bedroom to access the master bedroom. It was like it was designed for a cot outside the master.

Yes, very strange, though I would imagine the en-suite bathroom would have been a later modification/ addition, rather than original to the cottage.

I bet when that cottage was first built, it probably would have had just a single outside toilet as far as bathroom facilities went.

Going back to that oddly-laid-out house I mentioned above, the family I knew who lived in it at the time didn't seem to mind at all, otherwise they probably wouldn't have bought said house in the first place.

But as far as I'm concerned, toilets and electrical appliances, such as washing machines, tumble dryers, irons/ironing boards, vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers, electric drills, etc, are just totally incongruous. Added to that, having to walk through a room with a toilet in the corner to go out into the back garden (and to come back into the house) may be a bit off-putting for some visitors, especially if food and drinks may have to be carried through there.

I wonder if there's ever been any instances in this country where a toilet has been installed in a kitchen, despite totally contravening building regs (and being totally batsh1t crazy IMO)?

MyNameIsTerry
11-11-21, 06:28
Our toilet leads off the kitchen. But there are some funny builds out there if you look for them. I think I saw a load on Bored Panda and a toilet in the corner of a kitchen rings a bell.

At the cottage you walked through the bedroom with ensuite and through another door to the master. You couldn't access the master without walking past someone's bed.

MyNameIsTerry
11-11-21, 06:30
Got to be a bachelor pad :yesyes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-25186153.amp

Lencoboy
11-11-21, 07:32
Our toilet leads off the kitchen. But there are some funny builds out there if you look for them. I think I saw a load on Bored Panda and a toilet in the corner of a kitchen rings a bell.

At the cottage you walked through the bedroom with ensuite and through another door to the master. You couldn't access the master without walking past someone's bed.

Even more beyond the pale would be a toilet in the corner of a living room or a bedroom (actually in the bedroom itself, not en-suite).

Or even someone (conversely) putting a bed in a bathroom (if large enough)!

Having said that, cells in police stations have beds and toilets in more or less the same space.

Catkins
11-11-21, 17:28
I'm sure I saw a picture on FB of a toilet in a half landing. Peeing in a main thoroughfare isn't for me.

Lencoboy
12-11-21, 10:48
I'm sure I saw a picture on FB of a toilet in a half landing. Peeing in a main thoroughfare isn't for me.

Unless said photo was faked/doctored, that seems totally out of the ordinary for me, and whoever designed said setup (if it was real, of course) must really have had a screw loose!

Toilets in domestic situations for me will always ultimately be in their own private rooms, or at least in bathrooms, where they truly belong, not in fully exposed open thoroughfares passed (and seen) by all and sundry!

Lencoboy
03-05-22, 08:28
Back to the original topic, I read yesterday from various sources online about a phenomenon called 'geopathic stress', where there can be subterranean elements (e.g, underground streams, pipework, cables, former mines, etc) that cause subtle movements and/or electromagnetic pulses (usually passing unnoticed) that can cause some people to feel unwell, uncomfortable and/or irritable.

It's also thought to be a potential factor behind certain mental health issues.

Plus there's theories about 'negative energy' caused by past events (usually bad) that can linger in certain spaces and even within certain objects for several years after the original events.

But in conclusion, I've never really believed in the paranormal/supernatural, at least not beyond childhood.

Lencoboy
08-12-23, 09:34
The only buildings that give me the creeps are old vacant asylums and hospitals. Quite a lot of them taken over by developers in the 80s and 90s when the former inhabitants were turfed out into the 'care of the community' ... most were turned into luxury flat blocks. How anyone could want to live in those places and pay top dollar for them is beyond me. I suppose it must the association of ideas with me.

Like I said recently in another thread, there's been talk on and off about our former police station building being converted into a residential apartment block. I seriously couldn't live in that horrible 60s concrete building even if I was offered several grand up-front to do so.

I would keep imagining all kinds of scenarios in that place, especially certain scenes from the old ITV drama 'The Bill'.

I don't think I would be too enthused about living in our current library building which I think was also built around the same era (and probably by the same construction firm) if it was also to get converted into a residential apartment block in the future.

Lencoboy
08-03-24, 16:16
Back to the original topic, I read yesterday from various sources online about a phenomenon called 'geopathic stress', where there can be subterranean elements (e.g, underground streams, pipework, cables, former mines, etc) that cause subtle movements and/or electromagnetic pulses (usually passing unnoticed) that can cause some people to feel unwell, uncomfortable and/or irritable.

It's also thought to be a potential factor behind certain mental health issues.

Plus there's theories about 'negative energy' caused by past events (usually bad) that can linger in certain spaces and even within certain objects for several years after the original events.

But in conclusion, I've never really believed in the paranormal/supernatural, at least not beyond childhood.

Funnily enough our previous house and the estate it's on was built in a former coal mining area and on a hill (our house was just at the bottom of that hill), and much of said estate (including our house) was plagued with structural faults that started to rear their ugly head about 5-6 years after the estate was first built in the late 70s.

While the foremost structural faults were allegedly caused by an insufficient amount of joists in between the upstairs floors and downstairs ceilings and shoddy construction work in general, it was also heavily speculated at the time that some of the structural faults were also attributed to poor ground conditions (obviously due to the site's history), and our local council and the company who built the estate must have failed to carry out extensive ground tests prior to commencement of the estate's construction.

A few years later, by which time we had already been living at our current address and the estate's remedial works were long complete, there were reports in our local paper about certain residents complaining about strange odours in the area and feeling unnecessarily nauseous, which could very well have been attributed to geopathic stress within the location.

Could also partly explain why we as a family seemed to be suffering trauma after trauma after trauma during our tenure at said address, plus the house one of my uncles lived in a bit further up the estate, things didn't feel quite right on certain occasions whenever I visited. In fact, I sometimes felt rather uneasy when I was inside his house, and imagined all kinds of unnerving scenarios at the time.

Also the nursery I attended at the age of 3 that was at the highest point of the development had bad vibes about it, and I absolutely hated being there, often having bad tantrums and meltdowns myself while I was there. Even the staff there seemed to be in a bad mood a lot of the time, and I vividly recall one girl there being smacked hard on the bum by the manager the one day and she screamed and cried terrible, though thankfully I was never on the receiving end of such vicious treatment by any of the staff there, even though I was probably the absolute bane of their lives at the time due to my (then misunderstood and yet-to-be officially diagnosed) ASD.